Notices

Greg Nemisz

Old
11-05-2008, 03:53 PM
JiriHrdina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
Snoil I like your positive attitude but its hard for me to justify any "power forward" as a legitimate project with some actual untapped potential unless the player has skill.

Quite simple, Nemisz isnt very skillful. I mean if we drafted this guy to stand in front of the net ala Tomas Holmstrom then its a wasted pick. You can't draft crap like that, thats a sixth sense to be a stud in that kind of position and is something that the player is just always good at. Keith Tkachuk, Tomas Vanek and Holmstrom come to mind as guys that were good in that role. Is there many more that have made a career off it? Not really.
Tim Kerr, Ryan Smyth. Even Daymond Langkow scores the bulk of his goals in tight.

JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:54 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
Snoil I like your positive attitude but its hard for me to justify any "power forward" as a legitimate project with some actual untapped potential unless the player has skill.

Quite simple, Nemisz isnt very skillful. I mean if we drafted this guy to stand in front of the net ala Tomas Holmstrom then its a wasted pick. You can't draft crap like that, thats a sixth sense to be a stud in that kind of position and is something that the player is just always good at. Keith Tkachuk, Tomas Vanek and Holmstrom come to mind as guys that were good in that role. Is there many more that have made a career off it? Not really.

I havent seen much of Nemisz in front of the net but I have seen him in several games on tv and in person at canada camps including u18 ones before his draft year. Not to mention rookie camps this year and the main camp as well.

I'll reassess continually and I'd easily change my opinion if he makes strides, and if so I'd gladly eat crow for being wrong all while praising the flames for the pick, but I dont really see much chance of that happening. We'll see I guess.

I definitely havent casted definitive judgement on Neisz yet but if you ask me we could have done better with the pick and I've been saying that since the moment Sutter announced it and Nemisz was still walking up to the stage to put on the Flames Reds...

I soooo wanted them to draft Tedenby

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:42 AM
serratedmuffin

I think the flames wanted Tedenby, but NJ snatched them up just a pick before us, Nemisz was the backup pick...I really hope it works out well, but it will be a few years before we will see any results. Bobby Ryan is still in the minors...power forwards need a little more time

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
Bobby Ryan is still in the minors...power forwards need a little more time
A lot more time. The Islanders quickly grew impatient with Bertuzzi, and it took a few years in Vancouver before he surpassed 20 goals/season. Similiar situation with Taylor Pyatt, although he doesn't have the mean streak and the same potential as Bert.

Not sure if Nemisz has that same physical dimension, but he's going to be expected to create traffic in front of the net.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
A lot more time. The Islanders quickly grew impatient with Bertuzzi, and it took a few years in Vancouver before he surpassed 20 goals/season. Similiar situation with Taylor Pyatt, although he doesn't have the mean streak and the same potential as Bert.

Not sure if Nemisz has that same physical dimension, but he's going to be expected to create traffic in front of the net.
Had the opportunity to attend the Windsor - Mississauga game tonight and here are my notes on Nemisz:

- He played alongside Taylor Hall and Austin Watson 5-on-5 and saw plenty of ice-time on the PK, also alongside Taylor Hall. His powerplay time however was limited, as Bob Boughner (Spitfires coach) relied heavily on his first PP-unit with the two playmakers Loktionov and Hall, who barely left the ice during a Spitfire PP, and Blackhawks' pick Dale Mitchell.

- He acted as the teams' captain in replacement of Joshua Bailey.

- Skating doesn't seem to be that big of an issue as everybody wants to make us believe. He is neither the second incarnation of Lombardi, nor is he another Wayne Primeau. His skating seems to be sufficient to make it into the NHL and kinda reminds me of David Moss.

- Physically he was dominant the entire game against a team, which ranks among the most physical ones in the OHL's Eastern Conference. He looked very strong in the corners and was not once knocked off the puck in such a situation. Majors' players tried to hit him a few times, but always deflected off him, while himself landed a couple of good hits. His game however lacked a mean streak and for my liking he could be a bit more aggressive.

- Like Iginla, he took the face-offs on his strong side, but this aspect of the game needs lots of work, if he wants to excel in the face-off circle in the NHL. I didn't know the actual number, but I would guess, that his face-off percentage was somewhere around 30%.

- Scored 5-on-5 on what seemed to be his favourite move: staying behind the play, lurking at the blueline and then sneaking in the slot to connect on a pass from behind the goal. Thus said, while his passing and puck moving skills are decent, he couldn't make things happen on his own and needed somebody else to set him up.

Last edited by Snoil11: 11-08-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:05 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
I think the flames wanted Tedenby, but NJ snatched them up just a pick before us, Nemisz was the backup pick...I really hope it works out well, but it will be a few years before we will see any results. Bobby Ryan is still in the minors...power forwards need a little more time
Ryan is in the minors due to Burke and cap issues. NOT because he isnt ready.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Flames 1st pick

Nemisz, Chucko, same crap...

guys that are lucky to have a career in the AHL

Sutter should have fired his scouting staff a long time ago.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Nystrom was a checking forward in the NCAA for 4 years before finally moving up to AHL. Everyone had written off his chances of an NHL career. He may have been balding by the time he finally made the NHL but he made the team eventually. .

This is all good if he was a free agent signing or a low draft pick....not a top 10 pick...for that he is a BIG bust

Old
11-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
This is all good if he was a free agent signing or a low draft pick....not a top 10 pick...for that he is a BIG bust
It's not as if that was a deep draft year full of blue-chippers after the first 1/2 dozen picks.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2002

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Nemisz with another two assists in tonight's 4-2 loss at Erie.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
It's not as if that was a deep draft year full of blue-chippers after the first 1/2 dozen picks.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2002
Agreed that it was a bad draft overall...he is still a bust though...immediately after him were Ballard, Semin, Higgins....they are all 200% or more better

Old
11-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Pomeranian

Like what I hear about this guy. Wish I could see him play, but seems many have opinions on him that I presume have seen him play so will bow to that. Wish I could see him like so many of you obviously have in forming your educated opinions.......

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote