HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Plaing with a VERY long stick

Old
10-24-2008, 02:10 AM
ROEN
HabsHQ

vCash: 500
Plaing with a VERY long stick

What is the learning curve ?

I just got a Lidstrom synergy stick that measures up at 6'6 It's basically a Lidstrom stick on a Chara length ...

I'm 6'4, and usually played with smaller sticks ( about 6 foot sticks ), but it was a bit of a handicap while playing Defense I'd often have issues with small players playing the puck close

what do you guys think ? I know the general rule is that it should get to right under your chin ...

but heck, a longer stick might be allot of fun at driving forwards crazy

I'm just afraid that my balance would get ******

Last edited by Chalupa Batman: 10-25-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: The profanity filter is there for a reason. Don't circumvent it.
ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:44 AM
densetsu

I bought a long stick once, just for fun. I'm 6'3" and the thing was almost as tall as I was.

Over the life of that stick (a couple months) I couldn't take a decent slapshot to save my life. Was just way too long of a stick to do that. If you like blasting shots from the point as a defenceman, forget it. I'm sure it could be done with lots of practice and/or changing my technique significantly, or maybe I just sucked.

I always made sure my spare stick was a regular-length one, just so on power plays and such I *could* take some good shots.

In my own zone I loved the thing. Poke checks, sweep checks, stick-down... that extra length was amazing. When opposing forwards were in close I wouldn't be able to touch the puck (like you said), but was still able to lift their sticks. Didn't take too long to get into that different frame of mind (attack the opponent's stick instead of the puck itself).

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:50 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Well, I used to play with a long sick, but not that long. I'm only like 5'8-5'9 and I originally used a stick that was about eye level on skates. I moves down to the nose, now I cut it to the chin.

Long sticks are great for stay at home defensemen and reach, but I'm growing out of it as stick handling and shooting are becoming easier as the stick gets shorter. To each his own I guess.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:34 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
If its so long you can't play with it...cut it. IMO its rediculous you'd be out there with a stick that you cannot even shoot with.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 01:12 AM
db88

im 6'4" my stick is just under my chin while im on skates, and at my nose on my feet. i have quite a reach too, but that length for the stick seems good.

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
I"m 6'2" off skates and my preferred stick length is about 6'5".

10-25-2008, 08:08 PM
JeffYear92*

im 5'8 and my stick is 5'8

longer sticks work better for me

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:35 PM
deanosaur

Same height. 6'4.
My stick consist is basically the Easton shaft with a Warrior blade in it. Not sure how long that is, but it's considered a short stick. I'm a forward by the way.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:39 PM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
If its so long you can't play with it...cut it. IMO its rediculous you'd be out there with a stick that you cannot even shoot with.
It's not ridiculous. Some people can play with such long sticks. Whatever works best for you. True, it takes time to adapt, but a long stick has quite a few advantages. Slava Bykow, a world class russian player in the 80' and 90', played with sticks that ended above his head. He was amazing to watch.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
zakhawk91

Martin St.Pierre on Providence. Short guy, only like 5"9, uses the longest stick allowed

zakhawk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 07:26 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhawk91 View Post
Martin St.Pierre on Providence. Short guy, only like 5"9, uses the longest stick allowed
Haha. That's the first guy I thought of when I read the thread title.

This is the best picture I found to illustrate what Martin St-Pierre uses...

I'm a forward that likes to stickhandle, so having a long stick is out of the question for me. I usually take my sticks up to my chin, or even a little below.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 03:27 PM
noobman

A long stick will help you as a defenceman by allowing you to better cover passing lanes, and by allowing you to pokecheck easier. It's especially helpful if you're not a very strong skater...

...just don't expect to get anything off of your slapshots. I personally find ridiculously short sticks more handicapping than ridiculously long stick, but IMO you're better off cutting the stick.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
I use both a long and short stick. The longer stick really helps with my wrist shot so i use it during regular play but on the PP i use a shorter stick since im usually on the half boards

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I started playing a few years back using a stick that went up to my eyebrows. It allowed me a great poke check, but little else.

I started cutting them down to my nose, which improved stickhandling and shooting without impacting my defense. And then I cut down again to my mouth, and now I'm down to my chin.

Occasionally I have difficulty with catching passes or pulling moves while stickhandling with the shorter stick, but my shot is much better. I put a 1" plug in for the last couple weeks, but my shot suffered so much that I'm taking it back out.

I will say that my lower lie stick plays like a longer stick because it is closer to being an extension of the shaft, so I can keep the shorter length with fewer problems.

But it's all about your preferences, if you can stickhandle, shoot, and all that with a long stick versus short, go for it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 06:14 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I would personally use a short stick. Besides reach, there isnt that much more of a difference than using a short stick. I started playing with a long stick for 2 years. then cut it down. Now I have better puck control and quicker release and passing. Its like night and day.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:36 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Stick length isn't pegged directly with going up to your groin, shoulders, chin or anything.

But one reliable guide is to take a look at the tape on the bottom of your blade. It should be wearing out from the middle or fairly evenly.

If it's wearing out mostly at the heel, you'll want a shorter stick or a lower blade lie. (e.g. go from a 6 to a 5.5)
If the tape is wearing more at the toe, you want a longer stick or a higher blade lie.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 05:28 PM
vivianmb

my stick is up to my eyebrows on my feet and up to my nose on skates.. i have a nice hard shot, and feel comfy stickhandling .due to an auto accident i cant use shorties anymore. my back won't let me.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote