HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam Weinman makes a great point today

Old
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Sam Weinman makes a great point today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Weinman
The Rangers practiced today with the same lines, with the small exception Dan Fritsche subbing in for Petr Prucha alongside Nigel Dawes and Chris Drury (if youíre Prucha, itís not exactly a good sign if you and Patrick Rissmiller are manning the point together).

This rotation of Fritsche and Prucha has gone on pretty much all season, and seeing how neither has a point yet, itís fair to say the results havenít yielded much.

So hereís my question: While acknowledging that the fourth line has been one of the Rangersí most consistent units all season, why not try bumping Fred Sjostrom up to the third line with Drury and Dawes? Sjostrom has underrated offensive ability as it is, and heís had better luck this season than either Prucha or Fritsche (which, granted, isnít saying much).

Meanwhile, one of those two can easily slip into Sjostromís spot with Blair Betts or Colton Orr. And if you feel you need more size there, you could even consider bringing Rissmiller back from purgatory.
This whole Prucha-Fritsche juggling can't be good for not only the team as a whole, but the Drury line moreso since he can't get in to a groove with one of his wingers.

We all know that Sjostrom has done much more than Prucha and Fritsche to deserve a spot on that third line, so why not? I'm all for Sjo on the third, and bringing Rissmiller back to play on the fourth line.

What do you guys think?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

I agree, but I also think Sjostrom will get his shot on a scoring line in due time. Renney just doesn't want to mess with the 4th line when it's working right now.

The Prucha and Fritsche juggling is probably more to figure out who to get rid of.. and they both need adequate chances to play to make the decision for Tom.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:18 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Sjostrom can even go on the playstation line as a 4th defenseman for all i care! he has done EVERYTHING right and we got him dirt cheap.

As for the 4th line Put in prucha or fritsche ,get rid of rissmiller already, orr is our "size/fight" guy.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:21 PM
NYRangers09

We have to keep that fourth line together as long as we can and a trade must be made to fix our Drury line problem!!

I still think the most perfect fit on this team is Afinogenov to play with Gomez and naslund or callahan and let the odd man out play with Drury. If this isn't possible, I say get rid of Rozy, Prucha, and a pick for a young ok defenseman and sign Sundin already.

Last edited by NYRangers09: 11-09-2008 at 04:27 PM.
NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:33 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
We have to keep that fourth line together as long as we can and a trade must be made to fix our Drury line problem!!

I still think the most perfect fit on this team is Afinogenov to play with Gomez and naslund or callahan and let the odd man out play with Drury. If this isn't possible, I say get rid of Rozy, Prucha, and a pick for a young ok defenseman and sign Sundin already.
I say a big no to Afinogenov, he likes to carry the puck more than Gomez and would not be a good fit with him. If anything I still say a move doesn't need to be made to bring in another player outside the system just yet.

Why not try Zherdev with Gomez? Drop Naslund down to Dubinsky's wing.

Zherdev - Gomez - Callahan
Naslund - Dubinsky - Voros
Sjostrom - Drury - Dawes
Rissmiller/Prucha/Fritsche - Betts - Orr

why not?

Old
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I say a big no to Afinogenov, he likes to carry the puck more than Gomez and would not be a good fit with him. If anything I still say a move doesn't need to be made to bring in another player outside the system just yet.

Sjostrom - Drury - Dawes

why not?

Then you are fixing something that isnt broken. I really dont think we need to touch the playstation line yet

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Prucha and Dawes realllly dont seem the sort of wingers that should be on Drury's line anyways. They should be on Gomer's... while Cally and Naslund should be with Dru.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:41 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Then you are fixing something that isnt broken. I really dont think we need to touch the playstation line yet
I agree. But I also really think that Z has the ability to get Gomez going. On the other hand, I don't recall seeing Dubinsky and Naslund paired together so maybe they'd click as well?

I'm all for keeping the team together because hell we are first in the conference. I started this thread to get on the Fritsche-Prucha situation, and it went a bit off topic. My bad.

Old
11-09-2008, 05:04 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I think the reason why Renney doesn't do that is that Betts and Sjostrom seem to be his 1-2 shut down forwards. They play the PK together and splitting them up might disrupt the natural flow of line changes following PKs. Say they are both tired after a long kill, Renney will have to mix and match and double shift players when he gets to the Drury and Betts line.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 05:06 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Z and Gomez won't work in my opinion because they both like to carry the puck.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 05:13 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
Could be beneficiary. I think it's becoming obvious that teams are picking up on the fact that every time Gomez is on the ice, he is going to skate behind the net and pick the puck up from the defenseman, or fake taking the puck, and then getting a pass from that same dman right when he leaves our zone. I think this factor is part of the reason that Gomez hasn't been making some of those plays we're used to seeing. Teams know that he's going to be the catalyst of every play when he's on the ice.

Throwing Zherdev on his line gives teams another catalyst that they have to focus on thus opening up more ice for Gomez, or Zherdev.

Old
11-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
I agree. I think a lot of us miscalculated the type of player Zherdev is when we first acquired him in the summer. Remember all the dreams we had of Zherdev being the perfect speedy finisher to play with Gomez? Personally, I have been really surprised all season at the way Zherdev seems to think pass first, shoot second. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say pass first, toe-drag second, shoot third.

Also, it's becoming clear that our immediate solution to any player going through offensive struggles is to stick Zherdev on his line and hope he starts to score. Drury struggling? Stick Zherdev on that line. Dubinsky struggling with Zherdev's absence? Give Zherdev back to Dubi. Gomez struggling? Throw Zherdev next to him. We really just need another capable winger. Moving Zherdev onto every struggling line isn't the answer.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Vitto79

I think a deal will happen at some pt in the year

It's obvious that they need a winger for Gomez

I would be fine with Sjostrom moving up to the Drury , Cally line..........make sense

then just move Fritsche down to the 4th line , deal Riss and Prucha already.........AND I was a Prucha supporter but he is just lost on this team now and needs to get his career revived elsewhere

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 06:05 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
You could think of it that way, but regardless of how many points sjostrom has or has not put up, he has played above average IMO and he deserves to be bumped it with better players. He's not gonna get as much scoring chances with Colton Orr on the ice with him as he would playing with Drury and Dawes. Betts has been decent offensively, however, drury and dawes are still better offensive players.

And technically this is broken. Drury has been having trouble finding some scoring chemistry with his wingers so obviously it makes to try something new

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Prospalous

there has to be something going on behind the scenes that none of us know about with prucha. theres no way someone like dawes or fritsche should be getting ice time over him

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 06:21 PM
battlerex99

Drury - Gomez - Zherdev
Sjostrom - Korpikoski - Callahan
Rissmiller - Betts - Orr

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Shake and Bake

I say give Z and Gomez a shot. Might as well try it...you say Gomez and Z won't work well cause they both like to carry the puck. well, nylander and jagr both like to carry the puck- that worked out pretty well didnt it? They may as well try

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWESGOTPAWES View Post
there has to be something going on behind the scenes that none of us know about with prucha. theres no way someone like dawes or fritsche should be getting ice time over him
there is nothing behind the scenes. what makes you think prucha is better than them? Prucha has become a fringe nhler

Old
11-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Prospalous

what i want to know is, what do you see in dawes? how does this guy keep getting a free pass? prucha hussles and creates chances while dawes seems to not give a crap that he has the privilege to play

Old
11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post

Sjostrom - Drury - Dawes

why not?

I'd like to see them go:

Zherdev-Gomez-Naslund

Callahan-Drury-Sjostrom

Prucha-Dubinsky-Voros

Fritche-Betts-Orr/Dawes...

even just for a couple games to see if it can spark some chemistry..Plan B in my warped mind would be:

Zherdev-Gomez-Naslund

Dubinsky-Drury-Sjostrom

Prucha-Callahan-Dawes

Fritche-Betts-Orr

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWESGOTPAWES View Post
what i want to know is, what do you see in dawes? how does this guy keep getting a free pass? prucha hussles and creates chances while dawes seems to not give a crap that he has the privilege to play
I don't like Dawes either, but he will get more of a pass because he has more of a chance to score a goal IMO and has yet to play a full 82 games in his career. funny you have dawes in your username...

Old
11-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
I say give Z and Gomez a shot. Might as well try it...you say Gomez and Z won't work well cause they both like to carry the puck. well, nylander and jagr both like to carry the puck- that worked out pretty well didnt it? They may as well try
I see your point and quite honestly at this point I bet any line that Zherdev plays on will end up being the best offensive line on our team. I just think this practice of shifting Zherdev to any line that is struggling is a temporary band-aid solution to a bigger problem with the team. Is Zherdev and Gomez really going to produce that much more offensive firepower than the Playstation line has proven it can produce? The PS line was chugging along great until Renney decided to fix Drury's scoring woes by putting Zherdev on his line. Than Dubinsky and Voros stopped scoring. Now the PS line has been reunited, got the only goal against Washington and once again was the best line on the ice. But surprise, surprise, Gomez isn't scoring so now we need to throw Zherdev on that line to help him out and completely erase the ability of the Dubinsky-Voros line to score in the process.

The fact is that unless we can triple shift Zherdev so that he can play next to Dubinsky, Gomez, and Drury this team will continue to be hurt by a lack of talented wingers.

Last edited by Banks3rdLineCenter: 11-09-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Prospalous

meh yeah this isnt my screen name, my roomate changed it and i have to wait a year to change it back o_O

Old
11-09-2008, 08:04 PM
otto1219

weinman is a joke. He spends more time reading other peoples blogs at the games then he does actually watching them. He also cant post anything without a stupid joke that is literally just adding space to his posts. He covered high school hockey for like 2 years and then jumps up to the New York rangers?

sorry, i just cant stand him.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:21 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
weinman is a joke. He spends more time reading other peoples blogs at the games then he does actually watching them. He also cant post anything without a stupid joke that is literally just adding space to his posts. He covered high school hockey for like 2 years and then jumps up to the New York rangers?

sorry, i just cant stand him.
Oh Dan, a little harsh aren't we? Hopefully we can catch a game in December when I'm home and watch Weinman read other blogs at the game.

Back on topic: I think Dawes and Prucha need to go so this debate will just stop. Ok, seriously I think we all know that one of them has to go, you've got to wonder what Renney and Sather are looking for in exchange, and who might possibly be interested in them.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote