HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canadiens Sign David Desharnais to a Two-Year Contract

Old
11-05-2008, 03:14 PM
SR

vCash: 500
Canadiens Sign David Desharnais to a Two-Year Contract

MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced today the signing of forward David Desharnais to a two-year, two-way contract (2008-09 to 2009-10)

This season, Desharnais registered 9 points (3 goals, 6 assists) and is a plus-2 through 11 games with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs. He participated in his first training camp with the Canadiens this season, and recorded two points in three preseason games (0-2-2).

In 2007-2008, his first full season as a pro, David Desharnais led the Cincinnati Cyclones to their first ECHL championship. The centreman led the ECHL in points (9-24-33) and assists (24), finished second with 9 goals and posted a plus-11 rating in 22 playoff games.

During the regular season, the Quebec City native registered a league-leading 106 points in 68 games (29 goals, 77 assists) while posting a plus-38 rating. Desharnais, 22, was named the ECHL Rookie of the Year and voted to the league’s All-Star Team in 2008.

From 2003 to 2007, Desharnais amassed 374 points (126 goals, 248 assists) in 262 regular-season games with the Chicoutimi Saguenéens in the QMJHL.

SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced today the signing of forward David Desharnais to a two-year, two-way contract (2008-09 to 2009-10)

This season, Desharnais registered 9 points (3 goals, 6 assists) and is a plus-2 through 11 games with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs. He participated in his first training camp with the Canadiens this season, and recorded two points in three preseason games (0-2-2).

In 2007-2008, his first full season as a pro, David Desharnais led the Cincinnati Cyclones to their first ECHL championship. The centreman led the ECHL in points (9-24-33) and assists (24), finished second with 9 goals and posted a plus-11 rating in 22 playoff games.

During the regular season, the Quebec City native registered a league-leading 106 points in 68 games (29 goals, 77 assists) while posting a plus-38 rating. Desharnais, 22, was named the ECHL Rookie of the Year and voted to the league’s All-Star Team in 2008.

From 2003 to 2007, Desharnais amassed 374 points (126 goals, 248 assists) in 262 regular-season games with the Chicoutimi Saguenéens in the QMJHL.
Marvelous !

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 03:33 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Awesome, great story this kid is. Listed as 5'6, he's still proving everyone wrong after he was pretty much shuffled away to the ECHL, presumably largely because of his size.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 03:37 PM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 835
I like this kid a lot. Probably more so because I'm short too. He just continues to put up star numbers everywhere he goes despite being written off every time. You have to love that. Nice start in Hamilton this year. Good to see him signed.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 04:15 PM
rcduthie77

I do the play-by-play announcing for the Bulldogs through Mohawk College and I absolutly love this guy. He's a pleasure to watch play and is one of the hardest workers I've ever seen. He take monster hits and just keeps gettin back up, the heart of a lion he's got.

Congrats David, hopefully I'll get the chance to say it to him in person before the Houston game on Friday.

rcduthie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Alain Racette

I want to see him play on a call-up! Nothing like a short dude proving people wrong! I'm short myself at 5'9".

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I'm 5'10'' and I feel tall.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Beakermania*

Great move... he was the ECHL MVP and Scoring leader last year.... he also was the leading playoff scorer and led Cincy to the Kelly Cup.

Now he has 9 pts in 11 games in the AHL.

He may be too short for the rigors of the NHL... but then again he may be the next Fleury, St. Louis, Gionta, etc.... obviously the chances of the first scenario are better than the second... but anything is possible.

Very low risk in signing him... at worst he's a career AHLer who can score at that level and he is on a two way deal. Potentially high reward.

Nothing to lose here, if he ends up a career minor leaguer... oh well we didn't even waste a draft pick. And who knows... maybe he shocks the scouts who let him be undrafted.

Its like buying a lottery ticket...

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-06-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 02:36 AM
jmor
Sens and Jets

doesn't cost montreal anything... therefore it was a great move.

congrats.

p.s now at 5'10 i feel like a monster!

jmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
I'm 5'6" as well and this guy proves me I'm an idiot for thinking I couldn't make it to the pros.

I like Desharnais.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:46 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
Awesome, great story this kid is. Listed as 5'6, he's still proving everyone wrong after he was pretty much shuffled away to the ECHL, presumably largely because of his size.
In the AHL guys like him that are 5'6'' excel and do well. But in the NHL they get over whelmed by the size and physicality. I'd be curious to see if he makes it.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
In the AHL guys like him that are 5'6'' excel and do well. But in the NHL they get over whelmed by the size and physicality. I'd be curious to see if he makes it.
I agree he's still an NHL long shot.

But if all he ever is; is the new Corey Locke and he scores points for our AHL team and helps them win games while helping the prospects around him who are more sure-fire NHL players.... then its still a good investment. Especially cause you didn't even waste a draft pick.

At the same time, you never know, every once in a while the long shot pays off.

Old
11-06-2008, 03:05 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I agree he's still an NHL long shot.

But if all he ever is; is the new Corey Locke and he scores points for our AHL team and helps them win games while helping the prospects around him who are more sure-fire NHL players.... then its still a good investment. Especially cause you didn't even waste a draft pick.

At the same time, you never know, every once in a while the long shot pays off.
Or he could become another Martin St. Louis (who proved small players can't be impact players in the NHL ). Smart signing and definitely worth the small risk involved.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:00 PM
CAPiTA

Whenever I think of player that short, I think of Steve Kariya. We all know how well that went...

The guy does seem talented so if he can help guys like Max Pac and Chipchura then all the power to him.

Too bad this guy didn't grow another three inches. He will be squashed in the NHL. There's a reason theres no NHL equivalent of Mugsy Bogues.

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Skyblaze

I really liked what I saw from him. Good hockey smarts with or without the puck. I figure he'd be real close from an NHL spot if he was six foot tall. He has decent skating speed and I think that if he can learn how to avoid hard hits while not taking himself out of the play, he really has a shot in a few years.

For a reference of what I mean about avoiding hits, remember how Gretzky rarely if ever got knocked off his skates? A lot of that was from him having hard to predict skating. I think Desharnais has enough sense for the game that he could play in a similar way eventually (definitely not at the same level as Gretzky did, obviously; but good enough to play in the NHL someday).

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysEndeavor View Post
Whenever I think of player that short, I think of Steve Kariya. We all know how well that went...
for every Steve Kariya there is a Martin St. Louis and Theo Fleury though.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
for every Steve Kariya there is a Martin St. Louis and Theo Fleury though.
well there are a lot more Steve Kariyas at the end of the day.... but yeah its not fair to the kid to write him off just cause his size. I for one am cheering for him, and I hope he can be the next kid who is small but made it....

Old
11-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
I want to see him play on a call-up! Nothing like a short dude proving people wrong! I'm short myself at 5'9".
You're making me feel like a dwarf at 5'7"

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 05:47 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysEndeavor View Post

The guy does seem talented so if he can help guys like Max Pac and Chipchura then all the power to him.

Too bad this guy didn't grow another three inches. He will be squashed in the NHL. There's a reason theres no NHL equivalent of Mugsy Bogues.
Well he is an inch shorter than Gionta. People are confusing a 11games points stat with how St.Louis and others got to the NHL. Some people need a reality check.

Some are great in the AHL but can't translate that game to the NHL, guys like St.Pierre and Perrin for example, two short guys and Perrin was supposed to be a St.Louis type as well.

Hell, St.Pierre had 88pts in 69 games in the AHL last year, yet he isn't an NHL player. I call it the John Slaney syndrome...great in one league, terrible in another. I think if he helps the AHL team develop a winning attitude, he's a great pick up. Everyone needs guys like that in the system.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
I'm 5'6" as well and this guy proves me I'm an idiot for thinking I couldn't make it to the pros.

I like Desharnais.
His equipment isn't as itchy as yours.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:20 AM
membleypeg

David Who

Didn't this guy star in the X-Files?

membleypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Alain Racette

Quote:
Originally Posted by membleypeg View Post
Didn't this guy star in the X-Files?
That's Duchovny.

But there is no risk at all and a potential for payout. The best move to make!

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote