Notices

Modry a Thrasher

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 03:52 PM
flerd_trandle

vCash: 500
Modry a Thrasher

Heard that DW was just on 680 the Fan saying he'd signed Jaroslav Modry. Anyone have confirmation?

Old
07-01-2004, 03:54 PM
flerd_trandle

Here's a link: http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View...f-a07dea412456

Old
07-01-2004, 04:21 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

A clear upgrade over Tremblay. I am very pleased with this move.

Old
07-01-2004, 04:28 PM
MightyAdam

Who Else?

Andy Sutton
Ivan Majesky
Niclas Havelid
Jaroslav Modry

With these four players certain to be 4 of the 6 D-men to make the roster next year (looking already like one of the best defensive corps on the whole NHL) what other two D-men from the Thrashers do you think will make the team?

Old
07-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Matt Gunning

Sutton Modry
Exelby Havelid
Majesky Tjarnqvist
Coburn (?) Kloucek

Old
07-01-2004, 04:33 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Exelby, Tjarnqvist, and Kaberle should all be in the mix. Plus Kloucek. Right now I don't see Coburn making the team out of camp.

Old
07-01-2004, 05:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
I am very pleased with this move.
Don't be too pleased, he is a horrible player.

He tries, he has a good shot, but he has to actually get control of the puck, and not fumble the puck out of the zone, make bad, slow decisions, or turn it over.

Worst all star since Petr Buzek...

Old
07-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Kaiped Krusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Exelby, Tjarnqvist, and Kaberle should all be in the mix. Plus Kloucek. Right now I don't see Coburn making the team out of camp.
Don't forget Kaberle was not qualified, so there is a very real chance he might sign somewhere else.

My top six (assuming we do lose Kaberle): Exelby, Sutton, Havelid, Modry, Tjarnqvist, and Coburn.

Majesky and Kloucek can fight for the seventh spot. Majesky probably deserves the #6 spot more than Coburn, but we can't have our top blueline prospect sitting in the pressbox. He needs experience.

Old
07-01-2004, 06:49 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Don't be too pleased, he is a horrible player.

He tries, he has a good shot, but he has to actually get control of the puck, and not fumble the puck out of the zone, make bad, slow decisions, or turn it over.

Worst all star since Petr Buzek...
He is an upgrade over Tremblay, that alone is worth celebrating.

And IF Modry is as bad as you say he is, it is a damn shame he led the LA Kings in Ice Time. Plus he will not have to play the PP QB spot, as both Heatley and Kovalchuk can handle the position quite nicely.

Old
07-01-2004, 06:51 PM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiped Krusader
Don't forget Kaberle was not qualified, so there is a very real chance he might sign somewhere else.

My top six (assuming we do lose Kaberle): Exelby, Sutton, Havelid, Modry, Tjarnqvist, and Coburn.

Majesky and Kloucek can fight for the seventh spot. Majesky probably deserves the #6 spot more than Coburn, but we can't have our top blueline prospect sitting in the pressbox. He needs experience.
I think Majesky earns the #6 spot and Coburn rides the pressbox while he practices with the team. He'll spot players and get some minutes against teams that BH thinks he'll match well with. One of those 6 guys will be down every night so I see Coburn getting enough playing time. Over the course of the season, if Coburn shows he's up to it, BH will play him more and more. This has to be better than another year in Portland!

On the other hand, he could earn a spot out of camp if he's really sound but I can't see it. No need to rush the kid.

Old
07-01-2004, 06:57 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

There is no way DW will put Coburn on the pine instead of letting him play at a lower level.

Right now I think Coburn stays in the Juniors.

Old
07-01-2004, 06:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
He is an upgrade over Tremblay, that alone is worth celebrating.

And IF Modry is as bad as you say he is, it is a damn shame he led the LA Kings in Ice Time. Plus he will not have to play the PP QB spot, as both Heatley and Kovalchuk can handle the position quite nicely.
The only reason Modry even saw the ice was because Andy Murray has ill-fated trust in him, for whatever reason. It is a damn shame he led the Kings in ice time, and where were the Kings in April? At home. It's the off season and they're in the midst of an 11-game losing streak. Modry even got benched in favor of Jason Holland. That's how bad Modry is.

Old
07-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The only reason Modry even saw the ice was because Andy Murray has ill-fated trust in him, for whatever reason. It is a damn shame he led the Kings in ice time, and where were the Kings in April? At home. It's the off season and they're in the midst of an 11-game losing streak. Modry even got benched in favor of Jason Holland. That's how bad Modry is.
Well if anyone can get the guy on track it will be your defence coach Brad McCrimmon. One of the best d coaches in the business.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:19 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
He's one of those players that you'll probably like at first because he's going to get some points. But the longer he stays, the more evident it becomes that he gives up more than he gets. His +/- will range somewhere between +10 and -10 depending upon who he's paired with and how responsible the forwards are. He was playing in a system where, because of the activation of the dmen, the forwards were asked to play an increasingly defensive role. As such, the forwards were OFTEN bailing out Modry for being grossly out of position and unable to get back. If Atlanta has some forwards that are willing to do the same thing, he'll be OK. If not, look out.

07-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiped Krusader
Is this true? He was our best d-man last season. How much does he make? Around $2mil per season is a reasonable price considering how well he performed last season. Also to note that Modry signed a 3 year deal worth $7mil.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:48 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
He's one of those players that you'll probably like at first because he's going to get some points. But the longer he stays, the more evident it becomes that he gives up more than he gets. His +/- will range somewhere between +10 and -10 depending upon who he's paired with and how responsible the forwards are. He was playing in a system where, because of the activation of the dmen, the forwards were asked to play an increasingly defensive role. As such, the forwards were OFTEN bailing out Modry for being grossly out of position and unable to get back. If Atlanta has some forwards that are willing to do the same thing, he'll be OK. If not, look out.
Depends on how Hartley wants to play it. Even thinking back to the games I saw, I can't really tell you the system that Atlanta played (if they indeed even had one). All I can remember is that the forwards were at least fairly agressive on the puck.

Chances are Atlanta's style will differ from the Kings style. So it's tough to predict what he might do in Atlanta compared to what he did do in LA. And tough to say how his game may change when he practices day in and day out with Hartley, McCrimmon and Weekes. I'll concede that while in LA his defense wasn't that great, and probably won't improve by leaps and bounds just because of a different coaching staff. But the situation will be different than LA and if you use a player correctly, you can minimize his deficiencies.

I'm not saying Modry will set the world on fire here, though he is definitely an upgrade over Tremblay. But I've been following hockey for 20+ years and I've never considered a fan's perspective to be a credible one. That's not meant as an offense to anyone in any way, just what I believe. As fans we're not neutral, even about teams and players other than on our favorite. We've got opinions and biases on just about everything, and it's fair to say even the most subdued amongst us is pretty damn passionate. That, incidentally, is what makes for some of the best fans on the planet (soccer fans probably the only ones that can top it). That passion gets rid of just about all neutrality. Credibility in any fan report has to be taken with a grain of salt, sometimes gallons of it.

Take mine, for instance...

Old
07-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Wow, first Havelid now Modry. As a Lightning fan, it seems as almost everyday passes I'm looking over my shoulder and I see Atlanta. If Coburn is what everyone is hyping him up to be (personally I am not very high on him), plus your two new acquisitions. The Thrashers are going to be very very good very soon they way they are going. If there is a next season they are going to surprise a lot of people. Anything is possible with a talent like Lehtonen.

Old
07-05-2004, 07:40 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I'm not saying this because I'm a Canes fan because some of you know I follow the Thrashers from time to time (I'm originally from Georgia) but the Havelid & Modry signing does nothing for me. DW is going to get fired over these signings, especially for the Modry one. Havelid will probably be solid, but from what I've seen of Modry that was a very bad signing.

To Tampa fan: believe me, you don't have to look over your shoulder. The Thrashers may score alot of goals but they give up alot too (take that, Patrick Ewing). The trend will continue.

To Atlanta fan: One of you said "this is shaping up to be one of the best defenses in the league". Whoah. Andy Sutton is a steady d-man, but he's still "Andy Sutton". And Majesky is not great...probably won't get too much better....Havelid is Havelid...Modry is a bad defender....Exelby & Coburn you should have hopes on...what did I miss? Tjarnquist? Tremblay? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:40 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
DW is going to get fired over these signings, especially for the Modry one.
Havelid was a trade, the only signing was Modry. I am not crazy about 3 years for $7 million, but he is going to be the first real offensive defenseman on the Thrashers not named Tremblay. That alone improves the team, which is DW's job.

Quote:
Andy Sutton is a steady d-man, but he's still "Andy Sutton".
What does that mean? Just because someone isn't a star when they are younger doesn't mean they can't become a strong player later in their career. There are some nights when Andy Sutton is dominating on the ice, not just defensively but in the offensive zone as well. If he can just play with a bit more consistency he will be a #1 caliber defenseman. And I can bet you Minnesota is still kicking themselves for letting him go for Hnat Domincelli.

Quote:
Exelby & Coburn you should have hopes on...what did I miss?
Aparently you missed one of the best rookie seasons that I have ever seen out of a true defensive defenseman. The kid is a hard hitter, defensively sound player who isn't totally lost handling the puck. Let me tell you, every team in the NHL was looking to get a kids like this in their system during the draft. I cannot speak for Coburn(and I think he is not as close to making the team as DW and some other think), but you have to be out of your mind to question the potential in Exelby. He will be in the league for at least the next 10 years barring injury.

Old
07-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Quote:
Aparently you missed one of the best rookie seasons that I have ever seen out of a true defensive defenseman. The kid is a hard hitter, defensively sound player who isn't totally lost handling the puck. Let me tell you, every team in the NHL was looking to get a kids like this in their system during the draft. I cannot speak for Coburn(and I think he is not as close to making the team as DW and some other think), but you have to be out of your mind to question the potential in Exelby. He will be in the league for at least the next 10 years barring injury.
Agreed. Exelby will never have great offensive totals, but man can that kid play tough. I watched him on a regular basis while he was with Chicago, while also managing to see him for a few games while he was with Atlanta. He won't back down from anyone and best of all, he plays how hockey is supposed to be played. Tough while giving it your all. I'm not the biggest fan of the Wolves, nor the Thrashers, but just because he won't have the offensive output of a Pronger or Blake, doesn't mean he was effective. I think in another year or two people will take notice of his play. Just my two cents.

Closed Thread