HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sam Weinman makes a great point today

Old
11-09-2008, 09:29 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
sjostrom should play higher up IMO....he has the speed, size and skill to play on the third line....and korpikoski should be on the other wing....

naslund-gomez-callahan
voros-dubi-zherdev
sjostrom-drury-korpikoski
fritsche/prucha/dawes-betts-orr

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
Oh Dan, a little harsh aren't we? Hopefully we can catch a game in December when I'm home and watch Weinman read other blogs at the game.

Back on topic: I think Dawes and Prucha need to go so this debate will just stop. Ok, seriously I think we all know that one of them has to go, you've got to wonder what Renney and Sather are looking for in exchange, and who might possibly be interested in them.
hahha definitely paul, give me a call when your back in the area. I agree i would trade them both for picks. Maybe a third for dawes and a fourth for prucha because of salary?

i still say we need a big move to get a sniper that isnt shanahan on this team.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
hahha definitely paul, give me a call when your back in the area. I agree i would trade them both for picks. Maybe a third for dawes and a fourth for prucha because of salary?

this i agree with however that sniper better have some size to him.....also if sather could get a player like that then i would love to see dawes and prucha traded for those picks because i think that is decent value for both of them

Old
11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
this i agree with however that sniper better have some size to him.....also if sather could get a player like that then i would love to see dawes and prucha traded for those picks because i think that is decent value for both of them
At this point, I'd sacrifice size for speed. We have a 7 million dollar center and nobody on his line can keep up with him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post

Definitely, it'll be good to catch up and see a game.

We have so many spare parts, and I think most people on these boards overvalue Dawes and Prucha because they came up through the system. Honestly, are there any teams that are willing to give up picks for these guys? Look at their stats, if these guys were on the Blues would you give up a 3rd or a 4th?

They have some potential, but I don't know if there's a market for them. Might have to wait for some guys (on other teams) to go down with an injury or something.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:17 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
At this point, I'd sacrifice size for speed. We have a 7 million dollar center and nobody on his line can keep up with him.
but the size factor could open up the ice for a player like gomez....i would rather get a playr with some size who can score goals.....i would, in no way, be upset if the rangers got a speedy goal scorer....however i think the rangers forwards needs some size who can score...

Old
11-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Fletch

Prucha-Drury-Dawes have been a horrible line. There's very little chemistry. There was very little chemistry there last year. Drury has done very little at even strength and was perhaps the most invisible person on that line at times (but not invisible while killing penalties, etc.). None of those three generated a point and perhaps it's not just Prucha that's a problem on that line. Perhaps finding where Drury fits in at even strength is the real problem (3 ES points in 17 games and a -5).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:52 AM
NYROrtsFan

Also not a fan of Weinman at times... Still read his stuff though because he does come with some news every now and then.

Don't move Sjo up to the 3rd line pls... he is what he is. He's not going to bring a ton to that 3rd line and I just don't think he has the upside to do so. He also has a nice thing going with Betts and Orr.

The line should be Korpedo - Drury - Prucha. I can live with Fritche though. There is a lot of speed now both ways. Dawes really slowed the line down. I really feel good about Korpedo after watching him as well. Guy has a powerful stride, an idea of what to do with the puck, and a very good physical build. Upside is there. All of a sudden, that line can be a real high pressure line that creates turnovers. Much of what the rest of the team is.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Damn, commented on Sjostrom's potential move up in another thread before I read this one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Sjostrom - Korpikoski - Callahan
Rissmiller - Betts - Orr
I do think bumping Sjo up re-opens the door for Rissmiller, which to me, isn't a bad thing. They move lose that tenacious forecheck, but it's still a defensively sound group.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Larry Melnyk

Have the people suggesting SJOSTOM move up the lines up notice what he has done the past 60 games or so? NOTHING..4th liner And PK..nothing else...Keep him where he can help

And god if these lines aren't a mess and scream for a trade or FA (SUNDIN)...Too many individuals to get into, but we have about half the forwards that are trying to play above their abilities and comfort zone...Sather did a horrible job in the offseason with the forwards,, and that's not even considering signing Kalinin and BOTH redden and Roszy for the D

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Ola

I think I agree with Sam.

A line of SJöström-Drury-Korpikoski ought to atleast be a solid hockeyline that will be dangerous on the rush and would spend some time in the attacking end.

Dawes-Drury-Prucha just isn't good enough defensivly or at taking the puck up ice to play at this level.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Edge

Rissmiller - No way. Didn't see what he brought to the team when we signed,didn't see it when he was with us and I don't see it now. He's an upgraded Jeff Toms.

Prucha - To me his time has run out. His 29 goal season is now several years in the rear view mirror and he has never shown the ability to score at even strength. Right now he is an undersized, one trick pony, who can't even do his one trick.

Fritsche - is my pick to get some ice time. Heck even if you bump Sjostrom up and use Dan on the 4th line. I liked what I saw in the preseason and I think this could contribute something. He's got good size, good speed and is a smart player.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:43 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I'd love to see Sjo in the top 3 lines. His speed would bring life to whatever line he was put on. I could even see a Sjo Gomez Cally line working out. We all know he has the wheels to keep up with Gomez, he'll go to the front of the net, and he'll generate chances. Get on it Renney!

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:59 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
We have to keep that fourth line together as long as we can and a trade must be made to fix our Drury line problem!!
And what if Sojo is the solution to our "Drury line problem"? Isn't it cheaper to fill a hole on the 4th line?

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
wasn't such a great idea when i brought it up weeks ago.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Serisouly what? Size for speed? We have to be one of the smallest teams in the Eastern conference. Not only are we small but we don't score, so we got a whole bunch of fast guys out there doing nothing just doing it really fast. We have plenty of fast wingers that can keep pace with Gomez, two years and almost 14 million dollars later we are still waiting for this guy to find chemistry with anyone.

Small players: We have plenty

Fast players: We have plenty

Goal scorers: We have none

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:52 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
To me what weinman says is a no brainer. Ill first admit I'm a huge sjo fan, but if pru is getting a constant shot at a third line spot, there's no reason why sjo shouldn't either

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
To me what weinman says is a no brainer.
So it is to everyone else, thats why everyone is jumping on the bandwagon now.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
To me what weinman says is a no brainer. Ill first admit I'm a huge sjo fan, but if pru is getting a constant shot at a third line spot, there's no reason why sjo shouldn't either
SJO has gotten so many chances in his last 60 games and done absolutley diddley...A 4th liner /Black ace is all he is, nothing more...Just leave him there...And leave Prucha benched...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:26 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
SJO has gotten so many chances in his last 60 games and done absolutley diddley...A 4th liner /Black ace is all he is, nothing more...Just leave him there...And leave Prucha benched...
C'mon Uncle Larry () - when has Sjo ever had a chance to do anything other than to ride shotgun with Blair "Mike Gartner would score no more than 6 goals on my wing" Betts? I'd love to see what he could do with 5-10 games on Drury's wing.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Drury's line has as much to do with Drury as it does his wingers. He's been invisible in all but 2 games this year.

I've got no issue with moving Sjostrom higher in the lineup. He plays hard, is defensively responsible, and unlike Betts and Orr he has some offensive abilities.

Why does Orr play every game? Is Fritsche not as defensively reliable as him? Do we need the sheriff out there every game? This year and last Fritsche averages about a hit per game, Orr is 2 per game. Is one more hit per game worth playing Orr over Fritsche on the 4th line every game, especially when Fritsche brings far superior offensive abilities to a team that is struggling to score?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
So it is to everyone else, thats why everyone is jumping on the bandwagon now.
Which means it's now widely accepted and Renney will try it. Risk and new ideas are not in Renney's vocabulary. Look at the PP for gawds sake. How many times are we going to see the same crap rolling out there with the first unit? When will the second unit become the first unit? They'r the only ones who show any life to the PP.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
levski87

We are not a fast team, lets get that straight. We are a FASTER team from last year, yes , but compared to "fast" teams in the league, we get blown out easily. Look at Montreal, Buffalo, Washington. I hate how people say we are such a fast team because its simply not true. We are a dump and chase team and once in a while we have a nice breakout.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote