HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

ot-my dad will be haunting the Bell Centre

Old
11-10-2008, 10:51 AM
penaltykiller

vCash: 500
ot-my dad will be haunting the Bell Centre

My father was a big fan of the Montreal Canadiens. Unfortunately, the last game he saw was that shootout win against Carolina. He died during that night.

The last time I spoke to him was to tell him that I had bought our tickets for the game against the Trashers a few weeks from now.

That will be the 2nd NHL game I am going to see live. The 1st one was a Nordiques-Habs in the Colisée during the 93-94 season. I was almost 6 years old and I was with him.
Back then he was cheering for Quebec (and so was I !) but he did change his allegiance a few years after they were gone. According to a friend of mine , that late conversion should open for him the doors of heaven. We buried is jersey with his ashes.

My point is that I got suggested to leave something behind when I will go to the Bell Centre. It would be to do a symbolic gesture to recognize that he was the man who tought me and my little brothers everything he knew about hockey.

I will probably put somewhere in the stadium a photocopy of that little newspaper article that there is when somebody dies and to write GO HABS GO on it. I you have any other idea go ahead. This is why I made this thread.

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:54 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

That's a sad but heatwarming story. My condolences.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm sorry for your loss habsfan1818. I think this is a great gesture for you to do for your father.

I don't have any suggestions at the moment, but if I think of one. I'll definitely come back and post it here.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

That's well below average mate. Nice way to go, if anything.

Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
My condolences.

Old
11-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Fido22

My sincere condolences habsfan1818. I'm really sorry for your loss.

I think your idea is very symbolic and touching. If you want other ideas, how about a variance on that and leave behind a picture of him, perhaps in a Habs jersey.

Take care.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:00 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
That's a sad but heatwarming story. My condolences.
Agreed.

Maybe if you can still get him a centenial brick you should man

Sorry for your loss, habs will win it for your dad this season though!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:01 AM
penaltykiller

The centennial brick is a good idea ! I did not tought about it.

Old
11-10-2008, 11:04 AM
mcphee

That's tough news, I'm sorry that you're going throught this. Isn't it funny how having something specific that you can share, helps ? Is there anything that he always had around him when he'd watch a game ? Maybe a picture ? Something small that when you hide it somewhere, will stay there.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Gros Bill

Nice story and thank you for sharing. I guess your father did a good job, you seem like a very loving son. My condolences.

McPhee's idea seems right. Something that belonged to your dad, something personal and small enough to hide. Good luck and let us know how you decide to thus honour your dad.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
JTWymanFan*

nice move, great gesture, sorry for your Dad. Maybe if some people here would read this they would take a Habs loss a heck of alot better.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:22 AM
znk

Sad story. My condolences. A brick is a good idea.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the brick is a great idea. Very classy and something that will be around for years to come.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Maybe send a photo of him in a Habs jersey or something to the Canadiens and see if they can work it into the first intro video.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Guy Germaine

That's a great way to honor your father.
Maybe your father had a lucky coin, or take a button off his favorite coat and superglue it to his seat or underneath it ?

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:32 PM
penaltykiller

To be honest, the thing my dad had the most while watching a game... was a beer! I have drank a few since. He was not really a collector. The reason why we buried his jersey was because it was the only thing he had with habs colors.

Old
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan1818 View Post
To be honest, the thing my dad had the most while watching a game... was a beer! I have drank a few since. He was not really a collector. The reason why we buried his jersey was because it was the only thing he had with habs colors.
Then have one on him at the game. You don't need a physical gesture to create a memory, you already have them. That's really what's important. You see a lot of people when they suffer loss, have their grief compounded by having things left on less than solid ground, things left unresolved.

That doesn't sound like the case with you. Enjoy your evening in his honour, win or tie, and be thankful he didn't raise you to be a Leafs fan.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Pascal

That's really heart breaking.. sorry for your loss. Your dad's in good company at the Bell Centre.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Darz

Quote:
My condolences habsfan1818.

If having a beer was his fav thing to do during a game (also my fav thing to do while watching the habs), when you go to the game, buy a beer and toast him with it before the opening faceoff.

11-10-2008, 12:51 PM
penaltykiller

The next game was against Minnesota and I told everybody there was no way they would lose that one.

I had a Molson Dry with him at the pub.
I will take another one for him in the Molson zone.

Old
11-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I'm really sorry for your loss.....

I hope being at that game brings back some good memories of your dad.

Just a year ago I was diagnosed with Chronic Cancer and what I did was take a picture of myself with my habs jersey on and on opening night last year (I paid a ton for my ticket), I taped that picture to the back of my seat in a spot where it would be hard to see. Hopefully it's still there. I still have my ticket from that night so I keep trying to find a ticket in those seats to see if it's still there.

cheers

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
THE HOFF

Its never easy , but you seem to be on the right track ... you will grow out of it.... even if its painfull and you'll eventually realize that your father will always be there. take good care of yourself.

a specific saying, that your father used to say , something meaningfull that only he thought you ... on a piece of paper, hidden in the bell center

along with something, like other posters said , an object that is meaningfull to you both ...

I hope it helps... thats what I'd do ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
My father was a big fan of the Montreal Canadiens. Unfortunately, the last game he saw was that shootout win against Carolina. He died during that night.

The last time I spoke to him was to tell him that I had bought our tickets for the game against the Trashers a few weeks from now.

That will be the 2nd NHL game I am going to see live. The 1st one was a Nordiques-Habs in the Colisée during the 93-94 season. I was almost 6 years old and I was with him.
Back then he was cheering for Quebec (and so was I !) but he did change his allegiance a few years after they were gone. According to a friend of mine , that late conversion should open for him the doors of heaven. We buried is jersey with his ashes.

My point is that I got suggested to leave something behind when I will go to the Bell Centre. It would be to do a symbolic gesture to recognize that he was the man who tought me and my little brothers everything he knew about hockey.

I will probably put somewhere in the stadium a photocopy of that little newspaper article that there is when somebody dies and to write GO HABS GO on it. I you have any other idea go ahead. This is why I made this thread.
My condolences to you. My Dad and I share a great bond in hockey as well and I totally relate to your story.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Beakermania*

My condolences my friend.

I think the brick is your best bet if you can get it... you wouldnt have to worry about finding a place to hide it.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I think this is a warm noble gesture. My Condolences Good for you for doing something like this.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote