HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suspend Kosto

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
AD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
My God banana, do you like wash your own clothes and help clean the house as well.

Oh no god no... don't be ridiculous. I'm still married to a woman!

dog..

Edit: Please don't read this honey.. please don't read this honey.. please don't read this honey

Old
11-10-2008, 02:25 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Oh no god no... don't be ridiculous. I'm still married to a woman!

dog..

Edit: Please don't read this honey.. please don't read this honey.. please don't read this honey
I'll rat you out, I never miss an opportunity to curry favour with an attractive woman. It doesn't do me any good, but whatever....

Old
11-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'll rat you out, I never miss an opportunity to curry favour with an attractive woman. It doesn't do me any good, but whatever....
Please do 'Phees. She comes running to this side of the personality whenever AD misbehaves.

Old
11-10-2008, 02:29 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Please do 'Phees. She comes running to this side of the personality whenever AD misbehaves.
I get yours in exchange though... so is she still sick?

Old
11-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
I get yours in exchange though... so is she still sick?
What mine? I don't have anything.

Old
11-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
We grew up watching 60's hockey, and how much dirty stuff do you remember ? I heard stories of Howe and a few others, but for the most part, there wasn't a whole lot. Every team had a guy who was more liberal with his stick, but there wasn't th ehuman missile type of hits. If there was indeed self policing going on, not much of it was needed.

I can't argue that Howe threatening to take out a guy's eye was a good thing, but I don't remember the game having a lot of attempt to injure stuff going on. Things sort of evolved when the B's started with their Big Bad reputation, then got ridiculous with the flyers, bit there were things players just weren't doing.

So, as bad as it sounds, .... Really, I think the game has changed with the type of short shift, hustle from point a to point b hockey we have now, where bigger,faster players are going a greater distance to deliver bigger hits at higher velocities.

Bill, whether it's helmets, eqmt. making guys feel invincible, a slightly larger ice surface needed, I'm not sure but there's a plethora of crazy assed hits now, and they aren't good old day hits. I'm advocating Chara being allowed to spear a guy who cheap shotted one of his teammates earlier , I'm not saying the old days were better, but I do see players willing to do stuff that they weren't in the past.
Ever hear of Maurice Richard's "tomahawk" hit on Hal Laycoe? I'm guessing you have. That was the 50's, McPhee...
We used to get 1 game a week on TV. No internet. Back then, I'm guessing we wouldn't even have known about Weight's hit on Sutter. Modern media also have a role to play in how well "informed" we are nowadays.

Old
11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Ever hear of Maurice Richard's "tomahawk" hit on Hal Laycoe? I'm guessing you have. That was the 50's, McPhee...
We used to get 1 game a week on TV. No internet. Back then, I'm guessing we wouldn't even have known about Weight's hit on Sutter. Modern media also have a role to play in how well "informed" we are nowadays.
There was a lot of mayhem back then, but, as you said we didn't see it. Teddy Green/Wayne Maki carving each other's skulls with their sticks. Nobody really knows how many concussions Howe caused with his elbows, we didn't know much about them back then. A guy just got his 'bell rung' and had 'cobwebs' for a while.

Names like Larry Zeidel, Eddie Shore, 'Blackjack' Stewart; these people played the game with bad intentions and then the 70s with all the craziness that went on.

It was a different game, but, there were a lot of players that were more than willing to inflict physical damage to anyone in the opposing jersey.

Old
11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I think the 50's were more of a vigilante justice decade, at least from what I've read. I remember the 60's as being tamer, but the lack of info may be a big part of it, it's a good point. The Weight on Sutter, at least to me, was an example of a hit that you could have seen in any era, but it's true, we'd have our Saturady games to discuss and have to hope that Rene or Danny told the truth on the Sunday radio broadcasts.

Still, I believe that there's less regard for players now. Weird though. Opponents are more likely to fraternize, union brothers and all, but I think players take shots that we've never seen on a regular basis.

I don't think there's one reason, people aren't suddenly meaner now, I think that the game has changed and maybe some other stuff needs to change with it. I don't favour the int'l size surface, but it's getting pretty crowded now, and players don't have time and space like they used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post
There was a lot of mayhem back then, but, as you said we didn't see it. Teddy Green/Wayne Maki carving each other's skulls with their sticks. Nobody really knows how many concussions Howe caused with his elbows, we didn't know much about them back then. A guy just got his 'bell rung' and had 'cobwebs' for a while.

Names like Larry Zeidel, Eddie Shore, 'Blackjack' Stewart; these people played the game with bad intentions and then the 70s with all the craziness that went on.

It was a different game, but, there were a lot of players that were more than willing to inflict physical damage to anyone in the opposing jersey.
You would hear about a wild stick swinging incident every few years, like Maki/Green, which was about 71 I think ? The individual incidents were worse, when something happened, you'd hear about a severe type of event, that you never hear about today.

It's the everyday willingness to take the biggest hit possible that I notice.

Remember when we'd get the game on Saturday towards the end of the 1st period ? I remember one Saturday, Gallivan was talking about a big hit that Laperriere had laid on Mikita and how it was the type of hit you would've seen in the good old days, the lost art of bodychecking.

I'm not arguing about mayhem by the dceade and to be honest I rememebr as much about some brawls as I do goals, it just seems that there's a kind of regularity to a certain type of play now.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-10-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old
11-10-2008, 03:10 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22 View Post
I'd suspend him before Tom K.!
Agreed. What Andrei did was unacceptable and very dangerous.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
When that DVD comes out with a 1960 game, see if there is one hit where a player takes a run at that speed at a player. This style of hit is a modern part of the game. Players never used to retrieve the puck with their back to the rink, but players also didn't race into the hit. If a guy continually took that type of run at a player then, the refs would conveniently look the other way and a Howe or a Harvey would introduce Mr.Sherwood to the onrushing forward's bridgework to teach a little caution when forechecking. Body checking was usually when a stationary player would step into a moving player, stopping his momentum.
body-checks were indeed rare back then. the idea was playing hockey and scoring goals and as such there was more space on the ice to make great plays. but hockey has made a turn for more body-on-body checking style, especialy in the 90s. and defensemen should expect getting hit the moment they have the puck. ESPECIALY on the boards.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:33 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

3 Games for Tom K.

Per Team 990.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't pre-date the late 70's, but I don't find any more "mayhem" now than then. Less fighting and brawling now, but 20-30 years ago I think as many players would be ready to hit to hurt. They weren't as universally strong and they didn't have the adamantine armour+2 that they do now, but from those days to these, I don't see any greater prevalence of killer hits. Waaaaaay more focus and discussion takes place on the ones which do happen now. And it's more likely these days for a player to actually be diagnosed with a concussion or allowed to convalesce from his injuries too, I think.

Addition: I think there were more low-bridge hits, hipchecks gone wrong (and right!) and knees in my version of the "ancient past" too.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Per Team 990.
I thought he would get 2 games, but 3 is reasonable.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:38 PM
overlords
Hfboards

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=391681

3 games... total bs.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:38 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Just got a text from TSN.ca, 3 games for Kosto. The NHL gives Randy Jones 2 games for doing much worse and injuring someone to a bigger extent and giving 3 games to Kostopoulos...what a joke of a league.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
3 games. Per Team 990.
Not overly unfair. Begin or Dandenault can do most anything that Kostopolous does for us, so no harm to us on the ice.

I just hope that Kostopolous doesn't slow down or suffer any hesitancy of his own as a result.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:40 PM

WTF 3 games. *********.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Not overly unfair. Begin or Dandenault can do most anything that Kostopolous does for us, so no harm to us on the ice.

I just hope that Kostopolous doesn't slow down or suffer any hesitancy of his own as a result.
that was my biggest fear, if kostopoulos loses his intensity, he'll be virtually useless..

Old
11-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Tortue

We are doomed!!! We will have to dress up my avatar to grind it out now.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:43 PM
m00ks

WHy is he considered a
"repeat offender"? He's been suspended before?

Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortue View Post
We are doomed!!! We will have to dress up my avatar to grind it out now.
i was always afraid to make a comment because i thought it might be you

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
WHy is he considered a
"repeat offender"? He's been suspended before?
The 29-year-old Kostopoulos has only had one previous suspension. He was suspended for one game in November of 2007 for going after Boston Bruins' Mark Stuart late in a fight-filled contest in Montreal.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Tortue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
The 29-year-old Kostopoulos has only had one previous suspension. He was suspended for one game in November of 2007 for going after Boston Bruins' Mark Stuart late in a fight-filled contest in Montreal.
Get his name on the lists. I want to know if he moves into my neighborhood.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Darz

Discuss suspension in new thread