HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recchi will sign today or leave

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Luigi Lemieux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
This is my last post on the whole Recchi affair and then I'm done. I've read comments about not giving an older player money and that if Recchi enjoys losing he can leave for Pittsburgh and the likes. My thing is this. Recchi comes to play every game, every year. He never makes excuses for poor play and delivers. He is a model citizen and a model player that the organization should be molding their younger prospects around. He is not looking to break the bank with regards to a deal and has remained productive, even for a 36 year old. He is one of the team leaders and he has helped with getting everyone buy into Ken's game plan. Yet, his value isn't viewed very highly by the organization, other than Hitchcock who wants Mark to stay. Instead, our management team has decided that Malakhov and Zhamnov are more of a priority than Mark. However, neither player has accepted the very generous offers on the table and want more money. Here, we have two players that don't want to be here unless they are paid boat loads of money and we have one player who wants to stay, but management doesn't feel that he's as important as the two greedier players. Where's the logic in that? This now isn't about business, this is personal. I don't blame Recchi for giving an ultimatum. He wants to stay. He wants to stay!!!!! Yet, Clarke being the genious that he is doesn't recognize that fact. No, he'd rather try to sign two players who clearly don't want to be here. Where is the logic in that? Where is the business sense in that? What will probably happen is that all three players will leave, we'll be standing there with our pockets empty, and Clarke will be blaming everyone else for this debacle. No, it's time that Clarke and the rest of that joke of a management group get tossed to the curb. I'm beginning to agree with the rest of the Clarke haters - CLARKE MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i can't believe that of all the veterans you guys have recchi is the guy that is being singled out by management. i personally am crossing my fingers for recchi because i think he'll be huge for our young guys.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:56 AM
renberg

If Recchi wants to be a player-coach then he should go to the Pens. If he wants his name on the Stanley Cup, he should wait and re-sign with the Flyers when the new CBA is done. There is no need for him to hurry in either direction.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:07 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
You're loss is (hopefully) our gain.

Recchi left before I got into hockey, but regardless of that fact he was always a favorite of mine. A real class act who always gave it his all.

I'll welcome Recchi back to the Igloo with open arms, as every Penguins fan should. His heart never left this city, hopefully his body never has to either...except for road games of course.

All I know is that (hopefully) I get to hear his real nik, the Wreckin Ball.

FINALLY!!!!!!

Old
07-02-2004, 12:14 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Please.. if he wants to go to Pittsburgh, a franchise just dying on the vine, see ya!! Enjoy losing!
If he stays, he'll be treated fairly, but I see clarkie's point on not offering a 36yr old $$$, without knowing what the future holds.
If I remember correctly, The Wreckin Ball has how many cup with the Flyers and how many with the PENS?

PENS fans will welcome the Wreckin Ball back with open arms. 36 or not, Mark has more heart.

What's worse a franchise dying on the vine....or choking on it!!

Wreckin Ball, Kovy, Malkin....interesting line when the season starts in 2005.

Old
07-02-2004, 03:43 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
recchi is the best player on the flyers
he gives 110%, always puts up good #'s
anyone that wants to see him gone is a moron

Old
07-02-2004, 05:14 PM
stanley

Metamorphasis,
Recchi doesn't have a contract. The Flyers haven't re-signed any of their unrestricted free agents (Sean Burke exercised a player option), so I can't see how Recchi is being "singled out." I don't think you'll find a knowledgeable fan around who doesn't know Clarke would gladly walk away from LeClair and Amonte before Recchi, but the latter is the one with the 37 years behind him and the expiring contract. The Flyers have been living the sweet life for awhile; now they're going to have to roll up their sleeves and do it with more role and younger (read: cheap) players. Furthermore, he didn't say he wouldn't resign Recchi, rather that he wanted to wait until a new CBA was signed to do it. Clarke has every bit as much justification to do that as Recchi does to exercise his unrestricted free agency. I don't know why there needs to be a villian here. Oh wait, we're talking about Bob Clarke, the man people love to hate. I forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintRon
If I remember correctly, The Wreckin Ball has how many cup with the Flyers and how many with the PENS?
Ron,
This is the Flyer board. I don't think the Baron came over to the Penguin board and made that comment. If you walk into someone else's house and don't like what's on the dinner table, you politely refuse or eat it and shut up - but you don't insult the chef.

And I'm very happy, thank you, never having to hear one of Mike Lange's oh-so-irritating pseudonyms again. That whole thing is a monster that should have been killed when it hatched. It ranks right up there with Fox's glowing puck in my book. Gene Hart he is not.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:

PENS fans will welcome the Wreckin Ball back with open arms. 36 or not, Mark has more heart.

What's worse a franchise dying on the vine....or choking on it!!

Wreckin Ball, Kovy, Malkin....interesting line when the season starts in 2005.

I don't know where you've been, but it would take a higher presence from another plane of existance for Pittsburgh to even make the playoffs let alone be higher in the standings than the Flyers.

Malkin most likely is NOT coming over next season.

And the Pens can't afford Kovalev AND Recchi, Kovalev will get upwards of 5 million on the open market, pricing himself out of Pittsburgh (regardless of what he says)

Old
07-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

I'll miss Recchi and I'm quite sure if we weren't so tied down, he'd be resigned right away. Hopefully, if recch's gone some of the deadweight goes with him. I usually support Clarkies bargaining tactics but this makes me shake my head a bit. If he does go to Pittsburgh, good signing for the Pens. A team like Pittsburgh has to make safe free agent signings...Recchi would be a bargain, even at 36. If you do go...Thanks for the memories Mark...you deserve better, hopefully the Owners, agents and Player's Union realizes this also.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Colonial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I don't know where you've been, but it would take a higher presence from another plane of existance for Pittsburgh to even make the playoffs let alone be higher in the standings than the Flyers.

Malkin most likely is NOT coming over next season.

And the Pens can't afford Kovalev AND Recchi, Kovalev will get upwards of 5 million on the open market, pricing himself out of Pittsburgh (regardless of what he says)
To brag that the Penguins will be higher in the standings than the Flyers is pretty crazy unless some unforeseen things happen. The playoffs on the other hand is a goal that will be tough to achieve, but not out of the question for Pittsburgh. The team did finish on quite a run, but maybe that can be attributed to having no pressure or other teams relaxing against them. Or maybe it was more than an abberation, that remains to be seen. There is still a lot of time and player movement before the next season starts (whenever that will be).

I would be willing to bet that Malkin will not be a Penguin next season and that both Recchi and Kovalev will not be be in the lineup. One of the two is a realistic possibility. I was hoping for Recchi and another more affordable free agent. I had my eye on guys like Antti Laaksonen (who is now an Av), Andreas Johansson, or Sergei Brylin for the Pens.

Since it looks like Recchi is likely out of Philadelphia, what will the Flyers do to replace him in the lineup? Free agent? Young guy?

Old
07-08-2004, 10:52 AM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
This is the Flyer board. I don't think the Baron came over to the Penguin board and made that comment. If you walk into someone else's house and don't like what's on the dinner table, you politely refuse or eat it and shut up - but you don't insult the chef.

And I'm very happy, thank you, never having to hear one of Mike Lange's oh-so-irritating pseudonyms again. That whole thing is a monster that should have been killed when it hatched. It ranks right up there with Fox's glowing puck in my book. Gene Hart he is not.
This is a Flyers board? Huh? I know it's a Flyers board. Did I say something wrong? I speak the truth, the wreckin ball has more cups with the PENS than he does with the Flyers...period. What does it mean?...nothing, but it's true.

You can say whatever you want about the PENS, or me, or whatever for that matter. They are just words, like hockey is just a sport/game.

Review my post and show me where I went wrong......

So the Flyers board is North Korea and the Pens board is South Korea and anyone who strays across the DMZ is insulted because they make a comment that is true....hmmmmm....no wonder people hate each other in this world.

The wreckin ball is always welcome in the Burgh. I'm at a loss as 2 why Clarkie isn't signing his best player to a deal.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
This is a Flyers board? Huh? I know it's a Flyers board. Did I say something wrong? I speak the truth, the wreckin ball has more cups with the PENS than he does with the Flyers...period. What does it mean?...nothing, but it's true.

You can say whatever you want about the PENS, or me, or whatever for that matter. They are just words, like hockey is just a sport/game.

Review my post and show me where I went wrong......

So the Flyers board is North Korea and the Pens board is South Korea and anyone who strays across the DMZ is insulted because they make a comment that is true....hmmmmm....no wonder people hate each other in this world.

The wreckin ball is always welcome in the Burgh. I'm at a loss as 2 why Clarkie isn't signing his best player to a deal.
Recchi rode Mario's coattails, without a Mario Lemiuex who was in his prime Recchi has ZERO cups.
Recchi is a good player and i would love to have him back, but he is in by no means a differance maker.
if the Pens sign Recchi they will still miss the playoffs, but hey at least he will have his buddy Mario to play golf with every day.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 07-08-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old
07-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Overtime

CMG, I think that is a bit of a cheapshot. Recchi was the MVP of that Pens team and was runner up for the Conn Smythe. Lemieux didn't play most of the regular season.

Sure, Recchi had Lemieux on that Cup team, but being second in points to Mario, you could also say Mario had Rex to help him.

Old
07-08-2004, 07:45 PM
SaintRon

Cheap shot or not, IMHO Clarkie is nuts for not offering this guy a deal. IMHO, the Pens won't be able to afford the wreckin ball, so he could end up somewhere else or back in Philly.

I would agree that the wreckin ball would better fit the Pens than the Flyers. Any reason as to why Clarkie decided to let him test the market? Is it his age? Leadership issues? Too many quality young guys waiting in the wings?

Old
07-08-2004, 10:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime
CMG, I think that is a bit of a cheapshot. Recchi was the MVP of that Pens team and was runner up for the Conn Smythe. Lemieux didn't play most of the regular season.

Sure, Recchi had Lemieux on that Cup team, but being second in points to Mario, you could also say Mario had Rex to help him.
it was not meant to be a cheapshot. i am just commenting he is not the player he once was. he is still a good player. i want him back, i believe i said that in my last post. he was a good palyer on that Pens team. do the Pens win the Cup without Mario that year? no. ok maybe saying riding the coattails is a bit harsh and if i offended anyone by it i am sorry.

Old
07-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Overtime

Quote:
Cheap shot or not, IMHO Clarkie is nuts for not offering this guy a deal. IMHO, the Pens won't be able to afford the wreckin ball, so he could end up somewhere else or back in Philly.

I would agree that the wreckin ball would better fit the Pens than the Flyers. Any reason as to why Clarkie decided to let him test the market? Is it his age? Leadership issues? Too many quality young guys waiting in the wings?
Many fans in Philly wonder the same thing. I don't think its a leadership thing at all. Hitchcock praises Recchi for his leadership, and refers to him as an ally in the locker room when trying to get his system across. Players and writers mentioned how well Recchi filled in for Primeau when Keith was injured.

Too many quality guys in the wings? No. Not for what Recchi brought or the position he plays. RW is probably the weakest for the youth that are ready to move up.

What Clarke seems most concerned about is the layoff that a non-season will bring. I remember the last lockout though, and Recchi couldn't sit still and not skate. He actually joined the Flyers Alumni team and played charity games with them. If anybody keeps stats on such a thing, he has to be the youngest guy to ever play on an alumni team! I think Recchi would keep in shape regardless of whether or not there is a season.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:27 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Yes, and we gave the Yotes a draft pick so we could speak with him prior to July, 1.
Dont think this is correct. The Coyotes received a comp pick from the league, not from Philadelphia.

Recchi has been linked with Phoenix btw. Allegedly choosing between us and Pittsburgh. Gretzky or Mario? Heh.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:53 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
it was not meant to be a cheapshot. i am just commenting he is not the player he once was. he is still a good player. i want him back, i believe i said that in my last post. he was a good palyer on that Pens team. do the Pens win the Cup without Mario that year? no. ok maybe saying riding the coattails is a bit harsh and if i offended anyone by it i am sorry.
My commnet earlier about the Cup was in reference to a post that mentioned Wreckin Ball should go to the Burgh if he wanted to be player coach but stay in Philly if he wanted the Cup. He has a cup with the pens. I should have said it better. My appologies.....

I agree the Wreckin ball will not be for the Pens what he once was. It's his leadership, hard work, and good short game that will make him welcome in Steeltown. Nor will he come flying down the right wing, take the puck off the boards and score a playoff goal to win the game for the pens. This move will/should put people in the seats and give Mario a 4th for off day Best Balls.

Who is Clarkie gonna plug in to fill the Wreckin Balls spot?

Old
07-09-2004, 07:57 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Many fans in Philly wonder the same thing. I don't think its a leadership thing at all. Hitchcock praises Recchi for his leadership, and refers to him as an ally in the locker room when trying to get his system across. Players and writers mentioned how well Recchi filled in for Primeau when Keith was injured.

Too many quality guys in the wings? No. Not for what Recchi brought or the position he plays. RW is probably the weakest for the youth that are ready to move up.

What Clarke seems most concerned about is the layoff that a non-season will bring. I remember the last lockout though, and Recchi couldn't sit still and not skate. He actually joined the Flyers Alumni team and played charity games with them. If anybody keeps stats on such a thing, he has to be the youngest guy to ever play on an alumni team! I think Recchi would keep in shape regardless of whether or not there is a season.
Wreckin ball hasn't changed a bit. I wonder if Clarkie is looking for another FA RW to fill the Wreckin balls slot? Speculation beats the concrete any day. Hmmmmmmm........

Contract status on

Leclair and Amonte????

Old
07-09-2004, 07:58 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Dont think this is correct. The Coyotes received a comp pick from the league, not from Philadelphia.

Recchi has been linked with Phoenix btw. Allegedly choosing between us and Pittsburgh. Gretzky or Mario? Heh.
A cagy vet move by the Wreckin Ball, yes????

A good ole boy network in the NHL? Say it isn't so....

Old
07-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Overtime

Quote:
Wreckin ball hasn't changed a bit. I wonder if Clarkie is looking for another FA RW to fill the Wreckin balls slot? Speculation beats the concrete any day. Hmmmmmmm........

Contract status on

Leclair and Amonte????
So far, they signed Knuble and Stevenson. Neither is a real replacement, IMO.

As for LeClair and Amonte -

LeClair has 2 years to go at $9 mil each
Amonte 2 years to go at $5.8 each

Don't hold me to that, but I think I'm right.

Clarke could possibly buy out either or both.

Old
07-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Overtime

Quote:
A cagy vet move by the Wreckin Ball, yes????

A good ole boy network in the NHL? Say it isn't so....
Well, Recchi of course is good friends with Mario. His wife is from Pittsburgh.

As for Phoenix, I don't think it has anything to do with Gretzky. He played a fantastic game with him in the All Star Game, but the draw in Phoenix was that Mark's parents live there in the winter months. Recchi is big on family and loves it when his parents can watch him play.

Old
07-09-2004, 10:09 PM
SaintRon

Quote:
So far, they signed Knuble and Stevenson. Neither is a real replacement, IMO.

As for LeClair and Amonte -

LeClair has 2 years to go at $9 mil each
Amonte 2 years to go at $5.8 each

Don't hold me to that, but I think I'm right.

Clarke could possibly buy out either or both.
Am I correct in assuming that Clarkie could have signed the Wreckin Ball, bought out Leclair and/or Amonte and use the cash to pay Mark?

I read somewhere The Wreckin Ball is in the top 10 in all time Philly goals, assists and points.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Overtime

Clarke had to tell Amonte and/or LeClair he intended to buy them out by July 1st, according to the existing CBA. If he did that, and the Flyers don't play next season, he's buying out a year that he doesn't have to, since they won't be paid at all if there is no season. He's taking a chance, albeit a small one, that the new CBA's rules will be more favorable for teams to buy players out.

Yes, the Recchin' Ball is in the top 10 in those categories. You can see his stats at http://www.flyershistory.com/fff/. Probably the best resource for any single team on the internet.

Points - 8th
Goals - T10th (Rick Tocchet)
Assists - 4th
PP Goals - 10th
SH Goals - 10th
GW Goals - 7th

Closed Thread