HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LA - OTTAWA prospect swappy

Old
11-09-2008, 09:36 PM
redcard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
The Kings aren't likely to make the playoffs this season so why should they trade some of their top prospects for players that are unlikely to make a difference this season?

It would be one thing if they were trading their prospects for someone like Bouwmeester (if he would sign an extension in LA) who could be around in LA for awhile when they're ready to contend. They don't need a 1st line winger, they need Terry Murray to come to his senses and start playing O'Sullivan with Brown and Kopitar where he belongs. Wouldn't it also make more sense for LA to try Purcell to see what he can do before they trade him?
Because the kings don't need more Prospects/picks. They need to put together a roster of players that can compete regardless of whether playoff hopes are realistic. I'm not talking about trading for impending UFA's who will bolt at the end of this season. I'm talking about trading a guy like Preissing, who has 3 years left on his contract for a player who is better than Preissing and has a contract with a similar term or at the very least a guy that they have a good chance of extending. With Moller playing as well as he is, and being 4(?) years younger than Purcell, Purcell is very much available and a prospect that other teams would be interested in making one of the above deals in order to acquire.

Just because the kings aren't expected to make the playoffs this year doesn't mean you suck it up and leave the roster the way it is. A trade like this will benefit the team down the line and will allow the team to win a few more games now.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:41 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
To LA: Nick Foligno + Brian Lee + 1st Round pick

To Ottawa: Thomas Hickey + Ted Purcell

Ottawa could use a future highly skilled top 6 right winger as well as a future Powerplay Quarterback with Hickey (I know we have Karlsson they would be awesome on the PP together).

I am not sure, but looking at the LA prospect pool it looks like they could use a 2 way D-man who will be backing up Johnson/Doughty and Teubert.

And could use a nice gritty future 2nd line winger who plays a very good 2 way game to go along with O'sullivan and others. LA would get the 1st rounder as well because they are a rebuilding franchise and Hickey is obviously worth more than Brian Lee.

Also, Hickey and Ottawa prospect Jim O'brien both play for the Seattle Thunderbirds and I believe are pretty good friends so it would be cool for them.
Kings say "yes"

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
I guess, but even Lubo was bigger than him
and also, is that the kind of guy you want to draft 4th overall?

I like Hickey, but Im just sayin...
Huh? Hickey is 5'11 182lbs. Lubo is 5'10, 188lbs. Hickey is also not done growing.

And yes Hickey is the kind of player I want drafted at #4.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Thomas Hickey will not be pushed around. He may be small but he plays much bigger than his size.

There's also a video from a few weeks ago where he had a hit that was one of the top 5 plays of the week in the WHL.
Nice to see he does it against smaller players but that's very much TBD at the higher levels. The guys he fights in the video is listed at 5'8. The hit he had was against a 5'7 16 year old. The entire Pacific division doesn't have a single player listed under 5'10 (according to the Yahoo rosters).

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
the detractors say that he will get pushed around, and is simply too small for the NHL
The detractors are wrong. He's anything but soft. I think its his chipmunk face and goofy smile.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Nice to see he does it against smaller players but that's very much TBD at the higher levels. The guys he fights in the video is listed at 5'8. The hit he had was against a 5'7 16 year old. The entire Pacific division doesn't have a single player listed under 5'10 (according to the Yahoo rosters).
And he was one of the last cuts in camp for a reason. I guess because he's soft right? It doesn't matter that he fought a kid his size or laid out a 16 year old. It's that he has the ability and willingess to hit and fight, i.e. not making him soft ala Lubo.

I think that if you watched him just once, you'd realize this. I swear some people will put players down just to put them down.

Old
11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Tortue

That video showed nothing impressive about Hickey except that he can't fight and looks like a 12 year old trying to be tough but not knowing how.

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
And he was one of the last cuts in camp for a reason. I guess because he's soft right? It doesn't matter that he fought a kid his size or laid out a 16 year old. It's that he has the ability and willingess to hit and fight, i.e. not making him soft ala Lubo.

I think that if you watched him just once, you'd realize this. I swear some people will put players down just to put them down.
I've seen him play at least a half dozen times, for the Canadian WJC team and at Kings camps. The question isn't if Hickey's a willing hitter. The question, like with Visnovsky, is how effective he will be doing it.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I've seen him play at least a half dozen times, for the Canadian WJC team and at Kings camps. The question isn't if Hickey's a willing hitter. The question, like with Visnovsky, is how effective he will be doing it.
If a guy like Andrew Ference can hang and be around the same size, I see no reason why Hickey can't.

Old
11-10-2008, 12:54 PM
rajuabju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Palffy33 View Post
Kings say "yes"
I have to 2nd that. I love the potential of both Hickey and Purcell.... but this seems to be an even trade for both teams and we get players at positions we could use.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:33 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Foligno and Lee aren't projected to be nearly as good as Hickey and Purcell. I say a big fat NO.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Same to me...

Lombardi is a very smart drafter and he used his # 1 for Hickey.
I saw that guy and i can see he will make Visnovsky forgotten.

He has more upside, a deadly shot, smart puckmovement similar to Johnson and he dont stay away from bodycontact....

a perfect fit for the new NHL style.

He is going nowhere....

For Purcell... i'm pretty high on him, because the whole League was chasing him. But i can't realy see a developement because i'm not in the range of manchester.

So, i would say a big no. Maybe not sucha big move what includes Armstrong and one of your young defender...
But i cant realy see a godd trading partner for both of us

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Dangler26

i like the proposal. However giving up Hickey is just stupid. He shows a lot of Promise to the club and is going to be a huge part of our Blueline in the future. As for Purcell, i think trading him for Foligno is a decent trade.

Dangler26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:12 PM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
Foligno and Lee aren't projected to be nearly as good as Hickey and Purcell. I say a big fat NO.
No ****, thats why there is a first.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
No ****, thats why there is a first.
My bad. I still say NO.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Ollie Weeks

Hickey for Lee, I don't think so. Purcell for Foligno and a 1st, mabye, and only because I'm perhaps not as high on Purcell as others.

Truth be told, if Purcell moves, I think he'll part of a package for a big name (S3).

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote