HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Your three stars/three busts so far...

Old
11-10-2008, 03:42 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

vCash: 500
Your three stars/three busts so far...

Who are your three stars/three busts after 12 games as far as the Habs are concerned?

I thought it would make a change to create a simple thread to recap the start we're off to...

Well, here's my take :

Three stars :

La troisième étoile, the third star : Roman Hamrlik

Hammer has not done anything spectacular, but after watching the game against the Leafs, I don't think anybody can say Hammer is not important to this team. This guy completely transforms our D-Core and makes it one of the best in the league. Without it, our D-core is average at best.

La deuxième étoile, the second star : Alex Tanguay

Tanguay is unbeleivable. What a start for this player! He's playing a great positional game. He's had his up and downs like every single player in the NHL, but as far as I'm concerned, I've got nothing to say against him. Some games, we don't particularly notice him, but it's mainly because he makes quick decisions and that's why he creates so many opportunities. His sense of the game is just unreal. Fantastic player.

La première étoile, the first star : Andrei Markov

Let me explain. More often than not, Markov was left alone by his linemate, Mike Komisarek. More often than not, he had to repair its mistakes, and play for both in all three zones. Andrei is also off to a great start offensively. He's made some bad plays, but he plays about half of the game, and he has the puck so much... it's just normal for him to make many bad plays... Fortunately, he has about 5 times more good plays than bad plays... Go Andrei!

Three busts :

The third bust : Mike Komisarek

Mike is still playing an intense game and is not brutal, but as far as I'm concerned, he's not playing even close to what he can...

The second bust : Patrice Brisebois

Doesn't seem to bring anything, is playing even less of a physical game than he did last year, and contributes marginally...

The first bust : Ryan O'Byrne

Wow... Can somebody wake him up please. The kid has to grow better, and as soon as possible. He's now 24, and a lot of young D-Men down there are waiting for their time to come... I doubt he'll finish the year as a regular... The only solution for him, IMO, is Hamilton, and we'd have to lose him through waivers... But I say let's be patient with him. I'd throw the towel on Breezer way before OB...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Tortue

3rd star - Saku Koivu
2nd star - Alex Tanguay
1st star - Andrei Markov

3rd bust - Sergei Kostitsyn
2nd bust - Andrei Kostitsyn
1st bust - Ryan O'Byrne

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortue View Post
3rd star - Saku Koivu
2nd star - Alex Tanguay
1st star - Andrei Markov

1st bust - Ryan O'Byrne
I can't give a "bust" to Andrei Kostitsyn... I just can't... It's hard to produce playing with two teamates who are playing like a duo more than like a trio.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortue View Post
3rd star - Saku Koivu
2nd star - Alex Tanguay
1st star - Andrei Markov

1st bust - Ryan O'Byrne
I agree with your 3 stars and give honorable mention to Roman Hamrlik

1st star= Andrei Markov
2nd star= Alex Tanguay
3rd star= Saku Koivu
HM= Roman Hamrlik

1st bust= Ryan O'Byrne
2nd bust=Andrei Kostitsyn
3rd bust= Mike Komisarek (he's still playing ok...but I expected a lot from him this year)

HM- Patrice Brisebois ( although I don't expect much from him anyways), Sergei Kostitsyn (in a little bit of a sophomore slump...but looks like he might slowly be coming out of it)

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:59 PM
bhuya71

Agree...kovy hogs the puck too much its really becoming apparent. did anyone else notice akost's sick move FROM THE RIGHT SIDE!!!! on the Islanders and the beautiful dish to pleks plus he is still a bit hesitant cuz of the sauer hit and skost picked up a couple of points the last couple of games. preseason expectations of him are just WAY TOO HIGH!

anyways 3 stars
koivu, tangs, markov

3 "busts"
komi, lats (does not seem to be doing much despite production), ob

breezer is not a bust...no one expected him to be our version of jaybo we know he sucks

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Blades 0f Steel

In before the Total Recall joke.

1st star: Andrei Markov
2nd star: Alex Tanguay
3rd star: Saku Koivuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

3rd bust: Robert Lang
2nd bust: Ryan O'Byrne
1st bust: nobody. I refuse to demean one of our players to this point when the team is 8-2-2. Give your heads a shake! Nobody is playing 'terrible'.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
In before the Total Recall joke.

1st star: Andrei Markov
2nd star: Alex Tanguay
3rd star: Saku Koivuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

3rd bust: Robert Lang
2nd bust: Ryan O'Byrne
1st bust: nobody. I refuse to demean one of our players to this point when the team is 8-2-2. Give your heads a shake! Nobody is playing 'terrible'.
Robert Lang a bust??? Unless you were expecting a PPG production from him, I don't see how you can be disappointed by him.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
3rd start Saku Koivu
2nd Star Andrei Markov
1st Star Alex Tanguay - I never expected him to have this impact

Honorable mention - Roman Hamerlik

Disapointments -

Latendresse - Still lacks consistency but he's still young.
Lapierre - He just has zero hockey sense - He's like a chicken with no head out there.
Brisebois - He's worse then I could have ever imagined!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:04 PM
CH4

3rd star: Saku Koivu
2nd star: Andrei Markov (playing as expected)
1st star: Alex Tanguay (playing better then I expected)

3rd bust: Guillaume Latendresse (his effort)
2nd bust: Sergei Kostitsyn
1st Bust: Ryan O'byrne

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Robert Lang a bust??? Unless you were expecting a PPG production from him, I don't see how you can be disappointed by him.
He's been phoning it in some games. I love how Sergei Kostitsyn is called out, but no one says boo about his linemate. When the Habs needed big comebacks, it was the 1st & 2nd lines that came through. Also interesting to note how heavily criticized Komi is considering what he brings night in/night out, but Lang isn't.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
1st: Koivu
2nd: Markov
3rd: Tanguay
HM: Higgins

1st: O'byrne
2nd: Latendresse
3rd: Pleks

1st Being Best/Worst.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:26 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Lang is providing exactly what he was brought in to do... That is providing some offense, and some defensive skills. He's playing good on the PK and is giving a consistent effort. Just because he'S not fast doesn't mean he's bad...

Old
11-10-2008, 04:27 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
1st: Koivu
2nd: Markov
3rd: Tanguay
HM: Higgins

1st: O'byrne
2nd: Latendresse
3rd: Pleks

1st Being Best/Worst.
Sorry, but I fail to see Plekanec being a bust so far... He's at 10 points in 12 games and is playing better lately...

Higgins an HM for a star? What has he done so far? He was gift-wrapped a goal. Besides that, he got a couple of assists on Tanguay's/Koivu's plays... He doesn't deserve anything more than Lats at this point.

Old
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
marvelousmotion

Since he probably won't get a star from any of you, I'll give a honorable mention to Josh Gorges, the 5th most used player on the team. This guy gets his job done game after game, has probably been our most consistent and hard-working player since last year. By doing all the little plays correctly, I think he makes the players around him look better, i.e. Bouillon.

As for busts, Ryan O'Byrne gets the win, with no close second runner-up. I didn't see any improvements in his game. People expected and hoped to see him establish himself as our #4 big physical stay-at-home defenceman, but the way he's been playing, he doesn't even deserve a spot on the roster. O'Byrne has been given all the chances in the world so far to prove himself playing with Hamrlik.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Sorry, but I fail to see Plekanec being a bust so far... He's at 10 points in 12 games and is playing better lately...

Higgins an HM for a star? What has he done so far? He was gift-wrapped a goal. Besides that, he got a couple of assists on Tanguay's/Koivu's plays... He doesn't deserve anything more than Lats at this point.
So then both deserve a kick in the ass? You consistently fail to mention that Lats has been underperforming. Has that escaped your notice? A lot of fans on HFBoards have noticed, but you're swimming against the tide.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
So then both deserve a kick in the ass? You consistently fail to mention that Lats has been underperforming. Has that escaped your notice? A lot of fans on HFBoards have noticed, but you're swimming against the tide.
Neither Lats or Higgins deserve a star or a "bust" mention... Higgins hasn't done anything star worthy so far, neither did Lats...

Old
11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

How are people saying Brisebois is a bust, he has always played badly. It's not like he was a star last year and all of a sudden because breezby.

Tanguay is amazing, he should be a definite re-sign next year. #1 Priority after Koivu.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
Agree...kovy hogs the puck too much its really becoming apparent. did anyone else notice akost's sick move FROM THE RIGHT SIDE!!!! on the Islanders and the beautiful dish to pleks plus he is still a bit hesitant cuz of the sauer hit and skost picked up a couple of points the last couple of games. preseason expectations of him are just WAY TOO HIGH!

anyways 3 stars
koivu, tangs, markov

3 "busts"
komi, lats (does not seem to be doing much despite production), ob

breezer is not a bust...no one expected him to be our version of jaybo we know he sucks
All he does is put up points so he sucks...really?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:21 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

3rd Star: Koivu
2nd Star: Tanguay
1st Star: Markov

3rd Bust: Josh Gorges (hasn't been bad, but looks more like a bottom pairing guy than he was looking like at times last year)
2nd Bust: Mike Komisarek (My expectations for his contiunued growth have just simply not been met. Has still been solid)
1st Bust:Andrei Kostitsyn (Again, my expectations were just so skyhigh after the step forward he took last year, and his dominating preseason. i took him in the 7th round of my fantasy hockey league draft, and he's been nowhere worthy of that spot)

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
goalchenyuk

3rd star - Carey Price
2nd star - Alex Tanguay
1st star - Andrei Markov
HM Koivu

1st bust - Ryan O'Byrne

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Who are your three stars/three busts after 12 games as far as the Habs are concerned?

I thought it would make a change to create a simple thread to recap the start we're off to...

Well, here's my take :

Three stars :

La troisième étoile, the third star : Roman Hamrlik

Hammer has not done anything spectacular, but after watching the game against the Leafs, I don't think anybody can say Hammer is not important to this team. This guy completely transforms our D-Core and makes it one of the best in the league. Without it, our D-core is average at best.

La deuxième étoile, the second star : Alex Tanguay

Tanguay is unbeleivable. What a start for this player! He's playing a great positional game. He's had his up and downs like every single player in the NHL, but as far as I'm concerned, I've got nothing to say against him. Some games, we don't particularly notice him, but it's mainly because he makes quick decisions and that's why he creates so many opportunities. His sense of the game is just unreal. Fantastic player.

La première étoile, the first star : Andrei Markov

Let me explain. More often than not, Markov was left alone by his linemate, Mike Komisarek. More often than not, he had to repair its mistakes, and play for both in all three zones. Andrei is also off to a great start offensively. He's made some bad plays, but he plays about half of the game, and he has the puck so much... it's just normal for him to make many bad plays... Fortunately, he has about 5 times more good plays than bad plays... Go Andrei!

Three busts :

The third bust : Mike Komisarek

Mike is still playing an intense game and is not brutal, but as far as I'm concerned, he's not playing even close to what he can...

The second bust : Patrice Brisebois

Doesn't seem to bring anything, is playing even less of a physical game than he did last year, and contributes marginally...

The first bust : Ryan O'Byrne

Wow... Can somebody wake him up please. The kid has to grow better, and as soon as possible. He's now 24, and a lot of young D-Men down there are waiting for their time to come... I doubt he'll finish the year as a regular... The only solution for him, IMO, is Hamilton, and we'd have to lose him through waivers... But I say let's be patient with him. I'd throw the towel on Breezer way before OB...
Funny cause before the season start a poster asked who would struggle the most*this season and OByrne came to my mind first, Sergei Kostitsyn second.. I said everyone was fiting in the line-up but that OByrne and Sergei Kost could be the ones to having some probs of consistency..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Sergei Kostitsyn looks like a "bust" this year to some people, but he's just keeping up the pace of last season... He should improve as the year go on, but those who call him a "bust" this season so far are those who were expecting 65 points from him...

I said it and I repeat it : 45 points this season would be great...

Old
11-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Erika

3rd star - Alex Tanguay
2nd star - Saku Koivu
1st star - Andrei Markov

3rd bust - Georges Laraque
2nd bust - Chris Higgins
1st bust - Ryan O'Byrne

Quote:
Sergei Kostitsyn looks like a "bust" this year to some people, but he's just keeping up the pace of last season... He should improve as the year go on, but those who call him a "bust" this season so far are those who were expecting 65 points from him...

I said it and I repeat it : 45 points this season would be great...

I still believes that he will get somewhere between 45-60 points

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-10-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
shealy04

Disappointing Thus Far:

3rd star - Sergei Kostitsyn
2nd star - Chris Higgins
1st star - Alex Kovalev

Three Stars:

3rd star - Alex Tanguay
2nd star - Saku Koivu
1st star - Andrei Markov

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:49 PM
habfaninvictoria

Stars

Markov, Tanguay, Koivu

HM to Kostopolous, yes flame away, but up until saturdays incident (which by the if Van Ryn were a man he wouldn't have flinched and turned his back doesn't happen.) he's been awesome in whatever role we asked.

Busts

Begin, Lats, O'Byrne

DHM (dishonorable mention) to Dandy just for being too dumb to retire.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote