HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostopoulos suspended 3 games for hit on Van Ryn

Old
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I'm sorry, I don't know what hockey coaches tell you, but there should always be a forward on the other point ready to pick the puck off the boards, the play he made was dumb and like Colin Campbell said, he knew it was coming.
Leaf forwards were in the middle of a change, and from Van Ryn's POV, for sure one forechecker coming in for the puck. If he slaps the puck along the boards, who's to say there isn't a Hab there waiting for it? Van Ryn was making the smart play as he didn't do anything with the puck until he knew which play was the safe play. He didn't get a chance to make the play because of Kosto's cheapshot and complete disregard for fellow man. No respect.

Guys like Hollweg and Kosto should be treated much tougher, and like Beaker said, maybe this suspension is a sign of an upward trend in number of games for suspension.

I can agree with the Jones hit on Bergeron argument, but is it wrong for the league to set a new precedent? Especially since the old one didn't deter anyone.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Yeah well, Van Ryn turns his head twice, observes his surroundings, hears Kosto skating towards him, then, when he knows the routine corner hit is coming, goes and turns his back to him. Congratulations on having a broken finger and a concussion Van Ryn, that was ****ing retarded of you. As for that Newfie John or whatever, I doubt you skate the same speed as Kostopolous and know exactly just what kind of time you have to make that split decision. Hits from the back are wrong; but don't put yourself in a vulnerable position to get out of getting hit. Ever since I started playing contact hockey, you're told to keep a shoulder to him, not put your back to him, and don't get hit in that danger zone of 1-2 meters away from board. Tom's actual hit was dirty, but the intention isn't there, that was Mikes fault.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I agree with you... .was it impossible for Kostopolous to stop and avoid contact alltogether.... yes I think it was... no matter what he was gonna run into VR.
However after he saw the numbers he followed through and finished the check... there is no need for that.
Oh contact was inevitable, I agree completely. The "finishing" of the check by Kosto is what got him in trouble. We agree.

Old
11-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Habs

Wow, it took Hollweg 3 hits from behind to get the same thing what a joke.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
I can agree with the Jones hit on Bergeron argument, but is it wrong for the league to set a new precedent? Especially since the old one didn't deter anyone.
I can agree with that... but if thats what we are doing 3 games isn't enough either.

They should also inform the players that this is the plan... before they give the next suspension.

After the last GM meeting there should've been a Memo to the all the teams... to the PA... and to the media....

"WE ARE GETTING TOUGHER ON SUSPENSIONS FOR DANGEROUS PLAYS WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF INJURIES."

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:10 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
such ********. It was Van Ryn's own fault he got hurt.

meanwhile, payers continue to run trying to knock anothers guys head off and the league does nothing about that.
get a clue.. His hit was very dirty. hit the guy directly from behind into the boards. Big difference between that and the CLEAN hit Sauer put on Kost.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I can agree with that... but if thats what we are doing 3 games isn't enough either.
Agreed, baby steps I guess.

Old
11-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
get a clue.. His hit was very dirty. hit the guy directly from behind into the boards. Big difference between that and the CLEAN hit Sauer put on Kost.
Ill ask it again, people are saying Sauer hits was clean because Andrei had his head down, so that makes it LEGAL, it was Andrei's fault. Van Ryn put himself in a dangerous situation and all Kostopoulos did was to finish his hit, not thinking that Van Ryn would put himself in that position. If Van Ryn went to take that puck with an angle, which is what a defensemen does 99% of the time, the play would be like a normal play, Kosto will hit him on the board without any consequences and play continues.

It was andrei's fault because he had his head down but it wasnt Van Ryn's fault by putting himself in a vulnerable position... whats the logic?

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Ill ask it again, people are saying Sauer hits was clean because Andrei had his head down, so that makes it LEGAL, it was Andrei's fault. Van Ryn put himself in a dangerous situation and all Kostopoulos did was to finish his hit, not thinking that Van Ryn would put himself in that position. If Van Ryn went to take that puck with an angle, which is what a defensemen does 99% of the time, the play would be like a normal play, Kosto will hit him on the board without any consequences and play continues.

It was andrei's fault because he had his head down but it wasnt Van Ryn's fault by putting himself in a vulnerable position... whats the logic?
One play is legal, the other isn't.

Old
11-10-2008, 06:27 PM
HF-Addict

3 games too many

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:27 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
I believe the opposite. Van Ryn turned and then turned back at the last second. It's clear on the replay. Don't know what the NHL is thinking on this one.

The A Kostitsyn trip was far dirtier imo.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

That players were being hit from behind in a vulnerable position and getting hurt is why the rule was implemented in the first place. Because of that rule Van Ryn sees that the only way he can get hit is from behind so he looks down to get the puck. Kostopolous hits him between the 2 and the 6 into the boards and gets a penalty for boarding causing an injury.

It's all pretty basic stuff.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Quote:
One play is legal, the other isn't.
I understand why its like this right now... ie there is no rule against what Sauer did..

However the league really needs to look at it and make the forearm shiver to the face illegal.

Same with the headshots with the shoulders.

They are just as dangerous as hits from behind... and not necessary in the game.

Its called a "body" check for a reason... not a head check.

Old
11-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Guy Germaine

Quote:
Do you really mean this? Van Ryn thought to himself, "I'm going to draw a penalty here by doing this"?. Seriously now..
That's exactly what he did.

It just blew up in his face...literally.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That players were being hit from behind in a vulnerable position and getting hurt is why the rule was implemented in the first place. Because of that rule Van Ryn sees that the only way he can get hit is from behind so he looks down to get the puck. Kostopolous hits him between the 2 and the 6 into the boards and gets a penalty for boarding causing an injury.

It's all pretty basic stuff.
But Van Ryn could protect himself did he not he choose not to. TKO canont analyze that VR was in a vulnerable position, put on his break, and letting VR make his play on less than 1 sec. There was no icing on the play, Kosto was coming at full speed, and im pretty sure Van Ryn knows that but he didnt care, he still put himself in that position knowing damn well he will get hit. Its Kostopoulos for godsake, not Sakic or Gretzky, Van Ryn didnt expect 4th liner that is forechecking NOT hitting him to get the puck? Thats ridiculous.

Old
11-10-2008, 06:51 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
It was probably a 1 game suspension but he got a two extra games for injuring a Maple Leafs player.
You guys make me laugh.

Just like Janssens suspension for trying to take Kabbys head off?

Now look, I really don't think he is a dirty player. In fact, I don't think he really thought the whole time "I am guna take MVR OUT!!!" But he charged from the blue line and knew MVR would beat him to the puck. He anticipated (what I believe) MVR to turn when he didn't. But you shouldn't anticipate anything. Look at his reaction.. Looks like he was thinking "what did I just do?".

I was really thinking 3-5 but he is a first time offender, so they give him 3.

People need to stop talking about the butt end play because if that's the case, Hagman was hit from behind, too. It works both ways.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Stradale

Quote:
I understand why its like this right now... ie there is no rule against what Sauer did..

However the league really needs to look at it and make the forearm shiver to the face illegal.

Same with the headshots with the shoulders.

They are just as dangerous as hits from behind... and not necessary in the game.

Its called a "body" check for a reason... not a head check.

That is my point. I dont understand why the league is legalizing the headshot. Why does player not protecting himself near the board cannot be hit, and a guy that is not protecting himself by having his head down can be hit on the head. Its just stupid.

Old
11-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Taylorzzz

Quote:
If Hollweg hits Saku Koivu from behind, we can assume that it was Saku's fault next time?
Koivu is smarter than that, he would have gotten himself out of the way instead of turning back!

Taylorzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
You guys make me laugh.

Just like Janssens suspension for trying to take Kabbys head off?

Now look, I really don't think he is a dirty player. In fact, I don't think he really thought the whole time "I am guna take MVR OUT!!!" But he charged from the blue line and knew MVR would beat him to the puck. He anticipated (what I believe) MVR to turn when he didn't. But you shouldn't anticipate anything. Look at his reaction.. Looks like he was thinking "what did I just do?".

I was really thinking 3-5 but he is a first time offender, so they give him 3.

People need to stop talking about the butt end play because if that's the case, Hagman was hit from behind, too. It works both ways.

I think his reaction was more ''I didnt mean that... why did you give me your back at the last second''

Old
11-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Noone said the butt end was suspendable... not that i've seen... just that it was dirty and not acceptable under "the code" and that Grabs better keep his head up next game between these two teams cause he'll be a marked man.

As for the Hagman hit... was that the one where Markov got penalized at the start of the third?? I thought that was a bad call personally at the time, and thought he got the shoulder but hagman fell forward.... I'd like to see it again though.

Old
11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
But Van Ryn could protect himself did he not he choose not to. TKO canont analyze that VR was in a vulnerable position, put on his break, and letting VR make his play on less than 1 sec. There was no icing on the play, Kosto was coming at full speed, and im pretty sure Van Ryn knows that but he didnt care, he still put himself in that position knowing damn well he will get hit. Its Kostopoulos for godsake, not Sakic or Gretzky, Van Ryn didnt expect 4th liner that is forechecking NOT hitting him to get the puck? Thats ridiculous.
Otherwise he bails on the play and possibly loses the puck to the forechecker.

Tough spot, no? Van Ryn, I am sure, didn't do this just so that Kostopolous could get suspended.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:27 PM
JTWymanFan*

I don't think there can be a clean cut winner in this debate. This will always be a glass half full, glass half empty discussion. Habs fans will see it one way and Laffs fans another.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Otherwise he bails on the play and possibly loses the puck to the forechecker.Tough spot, no? Van Ryn, I am sure, didn't do this just so that Kostopolous could get suspended.
Oh please, its so easy to say that... hes a veteran defenseman... He knows how to manage these kind of play. Its a play that we see over 10 times in a game.

We can say that if Kostopoulos put on his break, let Van Ryn make his play by standing there doing nothing, he can lose his spot in the line up aswell. Both of them was skating towards the puck, what do you want Kostopoulos to do? Put on his break near the goal line? He is a 4th liner, his job is to forechek and finish his check when he had the opportunity. Van Ryn stops from 3 feets from the board and changes direction at the last moment, Kostopoulos didnt have the time to react and avoid the contact.

Old
11-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
That's exactly what he did.

It just blew up in his face...literally.
Tell yourself whatever you want to make yourself feel better but if that isn't grasping at straws I don't know what is.

Quote:
Noone said the butt end was suspendable... not that i've seen... just that it was dirty and not acceptable under "the code" and that Grabs better keep his head up next game between these two teams cause he'll be a marked man.

As for the Hagman hit... was that the one where Markov got penalized at the start of the third?? I thought that was a bad call personally at the time, and thought he got the shoulder but hagman fell forward.... I'd like to see it again though.
Markov had no real intention of hitting him from behind, it was a borderline call. Injury or no injury to Van Ryn, the Markov hit on Hagman isn't within the same universe as the Kosto hit.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-10-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old
11-10-2008, 07:40 PM
JTWymanFan*

Ron Wilson...what an idiot. His comparisons blew me away, if i were to shoot you, you should have been wearing a bullet proof vest. Idiot..... **** him and the Laffs.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.tv/team/consol...d=800&id=25029

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote