HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Open ice headshots VS. boarding

Old
11-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
Open ice headshots VS. boarding

I tried to have an answer on the Kostopoulos suspension thread but didnt get any answers yet so i will make a new thread to have a real answer. I hope the mods wont merge it.

My questions is:

Why a player that has his head down can bit hit on open ice and a player giving his back and put himself in a dangerous position cannot be hit?

When Andrei Kostitsyn, Eric Lindros, Chris Drury etc... got hit, people was actually blaming them because they put their head down, so others player CAN hit them on the head BECAUSE its their own fault, they just have to protect themselves and put their head up. Kost, Lindros, Drury etc... was not expecting being hit on the head like that either after making a play.

Colin Campbell said that TKO was suspended because he hit a player that didnt expect to be hit. Why doesnt this rules apply when a player is hit on the head then?

There was no suspension against Sauer because Andrei got his head down and was playing dangerously by letting of his guard so IT WAS ANDREI FAULT.

BUT, didnt Van Ryn play dangerously by putting himself in that position? Why he cant be blame then? Andrei and Van Ryn didnt protect themself well, so it led to their injuries but the results is quite difference for some reason.

Why does a player that hits another one near the board gets suspended for boarding even if it was non-intentional but a player hitting another player's head on open ice is consider legal even if it was unintentional?

Im not saying that TKO doesnt he deserve a suspension, but i dont understand why Weight and Sauer's hit are consider as legal.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
JustAHabFan

I have the same question myself. Sauer's hit is clearly intentional and there is no suspension. Kosto's hit is not intentional (according to the NHL) and yet he is suspended for 3 games

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I actually think Head Shots should be even more punished, because during a head shot, the player that throws it can just ease up or go for the shoulder. As for the player getting hit, he has absolutely no idea of what's coming.

For the boarding like in TK's case, Van Ryan knows someone is racing after the puck and is most likely to get hit, all he has to do is keep skating and take the shoulder hit, which is also what TK was expecting. He becomes vulnerable the minute he decides to break and expose his back 100%.

I think boarding hits can be avoided a lot more by the player in the vulnerable position. The players getting head shots have simply no clue of what is coming.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Because the NHLPA & competition committee haven't said anything about headshots.

In fact, the only thing I've really heard from NHL players re: headshots is the 'respect' issue. Nothing to suggest anyone has any ideas on how to penalize it. If you listen to ex-coaches & ex-players, they tell you it's part of the game. If you listen to the players that get injured(Alfredsson, Drury), they say it was their own fault. Former 4th liners like Barnaby readily admit they intended to hurt the other player when games mattered. So do any NHL players actually want headshots removed?

As far as I'm concerned, it's up to the players to speak up. If no one has any opinion, I'm ready to assume that most current NHLers want headshots as a part of the game, & that injuries which result from it are a casualty of playing a fast contact sport. If they're fine with potentially getting a nasty concussion, far be it for me to say otherwise.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Stradale

I dont think it would affect the game that much if they banned head shots. Players will just get more liberty to make their play, thats it.

An accidental headshot is still an headshot. Why an accidental high-stick gets punished but not an accidental headshot which is 10X more dangerous. An high stick, that is usually accidental, that make a guy bleed leads to a 4 minutes, an "accidental" headshots that can put a guy out for weeks and months is completely legal.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Rockomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I tried to have an answer on the Kostopoulos suspension thread but didnt get any answers yet so i will make a new thread to have a real answer. I hope the mods wont merge it.

My questions is:

Why a player that has his head down can bit hit on open ice and a player giving his back and put himself in a dangerous position cannot be hit?

When Andrei Kostitsyn, Eric Lindros, Chris Drury etc... got hit, people was actually blaming them because they put their head down, so others player CAN hit them on the head BECAUSE its their own fault, they just have to protect themselves and put their head up. Kost, Lindros, Drury etc... was not expecting being hit on the head like that either after making a play.

Colin Campbell said that TKO was suspended because he hit a player that didnt expect to be hit. Why doesnt this rules apply when a player is hit on the head then?

There was no suspension against Sauer because Andrei got his head down and was playing dangerously by letting of his guard so IT WAS ANDREI FAULT.

BUT, didnt Van Ryn play dangerously by putting himself in that position? Why he cant be blame then? Andrei and Van Ryn didnt protect themself well, so it led to their injuries but the results is quite difference for some reason.

Why does a player that hits another one near the board gets suspended for boarding even if it was non-intentional but a player hitting another player's head on open ice is consider legal even if it was unintentional?

Im not saying that TKO doesnt he deserve a suspension, but i dont understand why Weight and Sauer's hit are consider as legal.
The other way around...Colin Campbell said that he determined that Kosto did NOT hit a player that didn't expect the hit, but the hit caused injury...he also said that Kosto crosschecked Van Ryn in the back...http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/263325.html

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
WHy does it matter?

Fact: Discipline in the NHL is a joke.

It won't change. It's useless and wasted effort to even dispute it. Colin Campbell and Gary Bettman can't run this league worth ****, so let's stop fretting and understand it won't be fixed why these two remain.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:50 PM
JrHockeyFan

An open ice hit versus a boarding call is the difference between "charging" and "boarding". In the case of hitting from behind (anywhere) the premise is that the person hit was deemed unaware and thus defenseless.

In both cases the rules allow discretion to factor in two things: Did the player being hit take all the necessary precautions? Did the hitter take advantage of the situation?

After the sauer hit Bettman himself defended that type of hit by saying that we would have to change the rules, which really is preposterous. The rule allows the ref to decide.

Bottom line? The league like the "big hit" classically called the "clean" hit. In many cases it is a direct assault on the head, but they will say that the player being hit should bear responsibility to protect himself.

Where the train goes off the track in my opinion is that the league is saying that in some justifiable situations it is just fine to rattle a guys brain off the boards/glass. Apparently if you look the wrong way you are careless and it is more your fault if you suffer serious injury. Odd that the hitter taking advantage part of the rules seldom carries much weight

BTW: In Jr hockey there is a separate penalty for blows to the head. If the league adopted this rule the "big hit" would have to be much more careful, but that would take all the excitement out the the hits. Just like the mad dash on icing plays. Nobody would like hockey if guys didn't risk life and limb to chase down a puck.

I think the NHL has a personality disorder

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 11-10-2008 at 08:55 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
habsfan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
WHy does it matter?

Fact: Discipline in the NHL is a joke.

It won't change. It's useless and wasted effort to even dispute it. Colin Campbell and Gary Bettman can't run this league worth ****, so let's stop fretting and understand it won't be fixed why these two remain.
spot on, look how many times pronger has gotten away with his dirty hits.

habsfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote