HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/NJD

Old
11-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Beef03

vCash: 500
Edm/NJD

To Edmonton
Holik

To Jersey
Garon
Pouliot

Salaries are pretty close to being a wash, although edmonton picks up a little extra.

For Edmonton it solves their goaltending logjam. Not expecting much out of Holik interms of points, just someone who is defensively reliable and can win a faceoff. Pouliot goes to free a spot for Holik ($2.5 mil) and balance the salaries. From an Oilers stand point he is expendable. Also a bit of a shakeup for the Oilers, which I think is needed.

For Jersey Garon is at the very least an upgrade on Clemmenson, and he doesn`t kill the cap ($1 mil). Pouliot ($725,000) gives them a young forward and some depth at centre and a fresh start for MAP. Looking at Holik`s stats this year he`s only played five games this year and hovers around 10 min`s a game so not a whole lot is being given up there either.

Not a blockbuster by any stretch, but at the very least gives at least some help to both teams and if it doesn`t work out, I believe all three contracts are expiring contracts.

Beef03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Not a bad deal for the Devils and it would allow them to trade a couple of forwards for a defensemen. At 7-5, not sure Lou is about to go for a youth movement. Martin and Rolston aren't that far from returning, but I would consider it.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

No, not so much.

Edmonton gives up the best player, one of their young players having a very strong season, and they get back more salary and an older player who's hurt. Brutal.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:45 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 1247
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Why, Why, Why, Why, Why, Why,

Why?

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 09:36 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef03 View Post
To Edmonton
Holik

To Jersey
Garon
Pouliot
The idea is right... but the Oilers are giving too much for Holik. For Madden (also soon to be UFA) - I'd most definitely make that trade.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
The idea is right... but the Oilers are giving too much for Holik. For Madden (also soon to be UFA) - I'd most definitely make that trade.
And the Devils hang up the phone if you ask for Madden.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Edmonton gets fleeced here. Substitute Garon for Roloson and both sides would think about it.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

No, not so much.

Edmonton gives up the best player, one of their young players having a very strong season, and they get back more salary and an older player who's hurt. Brutal.
Yeah...Pouliot's alright for a guy that doesn't score goals, hit, fight, block shots or kill penalties.

I seriously don't understand what he brings to the team. He's a fourth liner and he hasn't even taken a penalty. I know that should be a positive but I think it has more to do with him not being aggressive than playing responsible.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
And the Devils hang up the phone if you ask for Madden.
How about Cole for Madden? Cole is way younger and they are both UFA's at the end of this season. Also the Oilers need that 3rd line checking centre, and the Devils need a scoring winger(I hear).

11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
How about Cole for Madden? Cole is way younger and they are both UFA's at the end of this season. Also the Oilers need that 3rd line checking centre, and the Devils need a scoring winger(I hear).
We don't need forwards of any variety, except maybe centers. We're short on scoring forwards at the moment because Rolston and Gionta are injured. Moreover, if Sutter wakes up and realizes that Bergfors can actually play and contribute, we've got at least two prospects who are ready to step up.

Healthy, we've got Elias, Parise, one of Rolston/Zubrus, Gionta, Bergfors, and Langenbrunner all capable of playing in a top-6 winger role.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Marc Antoine Pouliot drafted 22nd overall in 2003.

New Jersey Devils traded 1st (22nd overall) and 3rd round pick in 2003 for The Edmonton Oilers 1st round pick (17th overall)

Zach Parise drafted 17th overall in 2003.

Thanks guys

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
McRobbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post

New Jersey Devils traded 1st (22nd overall) and 3rd round pick in 2003 for The Edmonton Oilers 1st round pick (17th overall)

Thanks guys
yeah its always brought up on the oiler board. kinda painful.. we picked zack stortini with that 3rd rounder.

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Kotton

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
yeah its always brought up on the oiler board. kinda painful.. we picked zack stortini with that 3rd rounder.
How is that painful? Not only did we pick up Pouliot, but we also managed to snag the most affectionate 4th liner in the league.

Masterful.

Kotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Crimson Devil*

New Jersey says no.

After the draft this year, we have a ton of prospects on center. Adam Henrique and Patrice Cormier will not only make the team someday, but they'll be extremely good for us.

At this time, I would counter with Bergfors for Deslauriers, though.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
Was that the third round pick? I thought it was someone else. Hmm, well I don't wanna rub it in, we took Zajac over Mike Green

Old
11-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Missionhockey

I would have to look into Garon first. I wouldn't want to add goaltending unless he's better then Clemmenson and the only time I've seen Garon play was with the Kings last year...not all that encouraging.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
How is that painful? Not only did we pick up Pouliot, but we also managed to snag the most affectionate 4th liner in the league.

Masterful.
Affectionate hugging teddy bear maybe

Flames Fanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post

Thanks guys
You are welcome... but you got your facts wrong:

It was MAP and JFJ (as all Oilers fans know too well) for Parise.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...rades/2003.htm

> Devils Traded 2003 first round pick (#22-Marc-Antoine Pouliot), 2003 second round pick (#68-Jean-Francois Jacques) to Oilers for 2003 first round pick (#17-Zach Parise) on 2003-06-21

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
You are welcome... but you got your facts wrong:

It was MAP and JFJ (as all Oilers fans know too well) for Parise.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...rades/2003.htm

> Devils Traded 2003 first round pick (#22-Marc-Antoine Pouliot), 2003 second round pick (#68-Jean-Francois Jacques) to Oilers for 2003 first round pick (#17-Zach Parise) on 2003-06-21
I knew it wasn't Stortini. I dunno why I thought third, probably because we traded Mike Danton for the 3rd round pick (Ivan Khomutov)

Old
11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Yeah...Pouliot's alright for a guy that doesn't score goals, hit, fight, block shots or kill penalties.

I seriously don't understand what he brings to the team. He's a fourth liner and he hasn't even taken a penalty. I know that should be a positive but I think it has more to do with him not being aggressive than playing responsible.
Are you serious i was actually thinking about this before i read this comment. A former first rounder who plays like it. The kid has a future. 4th lineers arent azlways about fighting and doing the dirty work. Robert Nilsson is on the 4th line for tonights game and hes not that type of player either. Pouliots a great player and i wouldnt trade him straight up for Holik! pathetic offer BTW.. edmonton gives up there top goalie who comes cheap also plus a great prospect for an old 4th liner?

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 05:02 AM
Beef03

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Are you serious i was actually thinking about this before i read this comment. A former first rounder who plays like it. The kid has a future. 4th lineers arent azlways about fighting and doing the dirty work. Robert Nilsson is on the 4th line for tonights game and hes not that type of player either. Pouliots a great player and i wouldnt trade him straight up for Holik! pathetic offer BTW.. edmonton gives up there top goalie who comes cheap also plus a great prospect for an old 4th liner?
Compare the the play of the three goalies this year and Rolie has been the best, although none of them has excelled to a great extent. Even JDD has been at leas on par with Garon. Realistically niether Garon or Roli are long term answers in net, they are both stop gaps until either JDD or Dubyk proves they can handle being a starter they come up with some other plan. Garon has never proven he can handle the lions share of the work. Even before he got hurt and missed the last bunch of games last year his play was declining. Roli still is capable of platooning and Garon is an easier asset to move than Roli because of his age and salary, besides The Devils just need some one to hold the fort down until Brodeur comes back and Garon is fully capable of that and is definitely an upgrade over Clemenson.

And what has MAP done this year that has made him so special? If anything he needs a new start.

Beef03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post

You still hate him, hey that your perogative, but he's been ALOT better then what you think this season. So he hasn't taken a penalty? The *******, not causing the Oilers to be shorted handed, he should learn a lesson from Robert Nilsson, there's a guy that can take penalties in style.

In short, you don't like the kid, so you're failing to see what he's actually doing this season/

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote