HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phi-FLA

Old
11-10-2008, 02:21 AM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
What team doesn't have a hard-on for Bouwmeester? We're having D troubles, no offensive troubles...J-Bo is availible and I'd like him as a top pairing guy

What's so wrong with that?

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:41 AM
27roenick97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
What team doesn't have a hard-on for Bouwmeester? We're having D troubles, no offensive troubles...J-Bo is availible and I'd like him as a top pairing guy

the fact remains that we have two top pairing d-men right now (coby and kimmo), and another who projects to be one in the future (sbisa). it was a question of the supporting cast we were fielding (or icing, whatever). when healthy, our bottom two thirds won't set the world on fire, but you can win games with them. vaananen, parent, jones, carle and sbisa creates an effective balance of good defense with a smattering of offense. in addition, parent, vaananen and sbisa have favorable cap hits for the flyers.

what happens if we get bouw is--essentially--we loose the ability to resign coburn in the future, or bouw becomes just a rental player. i don't like the notion of the former and the latter explains why all bouw proposals from the flyers are being scoffed at. we realize it'd be a rental and we're not selling the farm for a couple of months of one player. our current cap situation dictates we hold onto as many prospects on rookie contracts as possible and flip older players with higher salaries for picks to restock the farm as we graduate players.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
what happens if we get bouw is--essentially--we loose the ability to resign coburn in the future, or bouw becomes just a rental player. i don't like the notion of the former and the latter explains why all bouw proposals from the flyers are being scoffed at. we realize it'd be a rental and we're not selling the farm for a couple of months of one player. our current cap situation dictates we hold onto as many prospects on rookie contracts as possible and flip older players with higher salaries for picks to restock the farm as we graduate players.
I'm in the "lets cross that bridge when we get to it" line of thinking. 1. Because we have no idea what the cap will be; 2. Long term committed salary would almost certainly be going back in a deal; and 3. Coburn will still be a RFA when his contract is up. For all the talk of RFA who would get poached by other teams, there really is a lack of movement from that class of players. It's just too costly to have to give up draft picks.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:54 PM
AC Le Rock

If the Flyers can do something to land JBo, i'm all for it. He's solid and it would be great to see names like JBo, Timmo and Coburn all on the same team. As far as jeopordizing our farm? I think it'd be worth it IF and that's a big if, we can sign him to about 5-6 mil a season for a couple years.

I think Coburn would sign for about 4-5 mil and wouldn't ask for more than that. You can tell he's happy on the Flyers and would stay for a reasonable price. I also don't think he's really worth more than that, that said, he's not even 25 yet.

And as for this proposal, I'd do it. I was high on Lupul but does anyone agree that he's one of the softest forwards on the puck?? He can't control it for his life. All he has is a quick release and a solid wrister. His 56 points in 60 some odd games was a fluke IMO.

I'd try to get a little bit higher than a 5th rounder though, that's just me.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Flyer fans really need to let go of their hard-on for Bouwmeester. Give me Lupul and Jones for Skrastins and a flier on some futures like Stewart or Markstrom.
Uhhhhh, what?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:03 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post

They don't need someone as good as Bouwmeester. The cap won't let them resign him either.

Lupul and Jones for a veteran 4/5 dman that's an UFA to be solves a number of issues. For starters, a 4/5 is going to cost less than Bouwmeester. And a smaller trade would likely alleviate some of their cap issues this season (more $ going than coming). Next season, it would be 7 mil off the cap, and the Flyers will need the roster and cap space. A two for one trade like I mentioned would clear the way for the Flyers to sign Shanahan. Adding a veteran 4/5 would also enable them to send Sbisa back to juniors when Parent gets healthy. They've already lost a year on his rookie contract, but they can still save a year towards UFA service time if he doesn't reach 40 games or whatever it is. Carle, Ossi, Parent, 4/5, and Kukkonen/Alberts is a good bottom 5. So, even if the Flyers get killed talent-wise on a trade like Lupul and Jones for a Skrastins or Havelid, etc. they'd be able to solve a myriad of problems and potential problems. Anything that comes along with said defenseman is just icing.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:08 PM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
They don't need someone as good as Bouwmeester. The cap won't let them resign him either.

Lupul and Jones for a veteran 4/5 dman that's an UFA to be solves a number of issues. For starters, a 4/5 is going to cost less than Bouwmeester. And a smaller trade would likely alleviate some of their cap issues this season (more $ going than coming). Next season, it would be 7 mil off the cap, and the Flyers will need the roster and cap space. A two for one trade like I mentioned would clear the way for the Flyers to sign Shanahan. Adding a veteran 4/5 would also enable them to send Sbisa back to juniors when Parent gets healthy. They've already lost a year on his rookie contract, but they can still save a year towards UFA service time if he doesn't reach 40 games or whatever it is. Carle, Ossi, Parent, 4/5, and Kukkonen/Alberts is a good bottom 5. So, even if the Flyers get killed talent-wise on a trade like Lupul and Jones for a Skrastins or Havelid, etc. they'd be able to solve a myriad of problems and potential problems. Anything that comes along with said defenseman is just icing.

I like everythg you said, but my boner for JBo is still pretty big. I think if we lose contracts like Knuble's, Lupul's and say Jones' maybe even Biron's at the end of the season, that frees up quite a bit of cap room leaving the ability to resign Coburn AND JBo even if the cap doesn't go up next year.

Old
11-10-2008, 01:16 PM
blah

You're giving up more than Lupul and Jones for Bouwmeester. And I don't think he's worth it to the Flyers. A team trading for him is trading for a supposed number one dman AND the right to negotiate a contract extension with him (if he isn't resigned in Jan). The latter of which means that any team in the top 10 of either conference will be after him.

I'd rather see things happen now instead of waiting and getting into a bidding war.

You're underestimating just how close they already are to the cap for next season, and they don't have a single NHL goalie under contract after this season...

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:18 PM
DUHockey9

If you can resign JBo, I give up Lupul, Jones, and more without even thinking.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:50 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
If you can resign JBo, I give up Lupul, Jones, and more without even thinking.
I'd send Lupul, Jones, and something for J-Bo right now. I'd send Lupul, Parent, and a 1st, if he were re-signed long-term.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 03:10 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I'd send Lupul, Jones, and something for J-Bo right now. I'd send Lupul, Parent, and a 1st, if he were re-signed long-term.
I'd send even more than that. Assuming the contract isn't an albatross like 8-9 million or something crazy.

Old
11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
agreed.

Old
11-11-2008, 05:56 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:

By any measure, Jones is not worth the $2.5 million, long term contract that he signed with the Flyers. After signing his $4 million, long term contract, Lupul's play has fallen off to the point that he recently was demoted to the 4th line. In other words, the proposed trade consists of dumping $6.5 million per year of the Flyers signing mistakes in exchange for J-Bo as a one season rental, and frees uo enough money potentially to re-sign him.

Great trade for the Flyers, but even the panthers are not that stupid...

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
By any measure, Jones is not worth the $2.5 million, long term contract that he signed with the Flyers. After signing his $4 million, long term contract, Lupul's play has fallen off to the point that he recently was demoted to the 4th line. In other words, the proposed trade consists of dumping $6.5 million per year of the Flyers signing mistakes in exchange for J-Bo as a one season rental, and frees uo enough money potentially to re-sign him.

2 years is long term? If it were 1, you'd be complaing that he's a soon to be UFA.

Old
11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
AC Le Rock

Quote:

uhhhh, the panthers ARE that stupid, look up LUONGO

Old
11-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:

If you are looking for example of a salary dump you do not have to mention Jones and Lupul. Lupul is in a slump for only 4 games.

Look at McCabes trade. Now thats a salary dump.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:

Yeah and JayBo is lighting the world on fire right now. If you're gonna de-value Lupul for his play this season, then shouldn't you do the same with Bouwmeester?

As someone already said, I wouldn't exactly call 2 years long term for Jones.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote