HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hunter and Sutton?

Old
11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
mariolemieux66

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Hunter and Sutton?

Lots of habs fans have been talking aout getting a top 4 dmen and it also seem the consensus is that players like Bouwmeester, Burns, Morris or Ohlund would cost Montreal too many young players.I personaly think that we should pass on the Brett Clark and Jay McKee.

There is a team we could trade with and its the NY Islanders. guys like Trent Hunter and Andy Sutton can be the solution to some of Montreal deficiencies, like the lack of size, gritt and nastynes, especially on defense.
Hunter could play on a line with Lang and Kostitsyn or even on the 2nd with Koivu and Tanguay, Hunter can also kill penalties.
Which i like about Hunter is that he is a decent 2 way forward that hits a lot, his not slow and can pitch in 20 goals.
Hunter has a 5 years contrat at 2 000 000$ per seasons which is very decent

Sutton salary( 3 500 000$) and injuries is what a worries me a little, but like i mention earlier, getting a top 4dmen will cost a lots and i think Sutton trade value is not very high and worth to take a chance for the following reason.the guy is a monster 6'6 245, very physical, blocks shots, has a nasty disposition that is much needed on the Montreal defense, especialy after seeing the leafs charching Price 3-4 times in the last game.
I saw Sutton play against Vancouver when he was with Minnesota and he will defenitely clear the front of the net.
Sutton is signed for 2 more years including this one, at 3 500 000 per year against the cap.

I can see a trade involving Higgins(who's from NY), O'Byrne or Gorges and Begin.
In return Montreal could get Hunter, Sutton, NY 2nd and 5th round draft pick

What do you guys think?
An please be nice!!!

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:28 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

I could see the Islanders do that, and to be honest, I would really consider this move, if our 4th D-Man issue persists...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:29 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

However, remove the 2nd round pick... Now way the Islanders will give us a pick that will almost be a 1st rounder...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Scotianhab

Not a bad idea but if we do end up dealing for a #4 D I hope we target someone better than Sutton.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Beakermania*

I don't like picking up a D with 3.5 million for two additional years.... it will cause problems with our UFA situation this summer.

Hunter is a nice player but i don't see the point in adding another forward, we have no room and if we were any other team D'agostini would already be called up.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

While we're at it, let's get Brandon Witt too. I've always been a fan of his.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:47 PM
mariolemieux66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I don't like picking up a D with 3.5 million for two additional years.... it will cause problems with our UFA situation this summer.

Hunter is a nice player but i don't see the point in adding another forward, we have no room and if we were any other team D'agostini would already be called up.
We do trade Begin and Higgins for Hunter who only cost 2 000 000$ for the next 4 compare to the 3 500 000 and maybe more that Higgins will get next year.

I am aware thatSutton cost 3 500 000$.But i dont see many physical dmen who can be on our top 4 that would'nt cost us a high draft pick or good young prospect.

I think salary cap wise this trade make sense.

Old
11-11-2008, 02:48 PM
TSV

Send a message via MSN to TSV
higgins is better than hunter... don't need to trade higgins to get a sutton type d-men... only o'byrne could do the job to get an UFA 4th D

TSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:49 PM
mariolemieux66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
While we're at it, let's get Brandon Witt too. I've always been a fan of his.
I would love Witt, the problem is that he is injured right now and tha this trade vlue might be slightly higher then Sutton

Old
11-11-2008, 02:49 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
We do trade Begin and Higgins for Hunter who only cost 2 000 000$ for the next 4 compare to the 3 500 000 and maybe more that Higgins will get next year.

I am aware thatSutton cost 3 500 000$.But i dont see many physical dmen who can be on our top 4 that would'nt cost us a high draft pick or good young prospect.

I think salary cap wise this trade make sense.
Salary cap wise for THIS year yeah I agree, but we'll have lots of FAs (both UFAs and RFAs) to deal with this summer... add to that the Carle, Weber, McDo and Subban of this world who will need a chance at some point, I don't think it makes sense generally speaking

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Tortue

Sutton would be a huge addition to our blue line!

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:51 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

No thanks, from what I've seen from Sutton this year he's not worth much...

Gorges is as good as Sutton is (this year that is) and cost only 1M$, and Sutton is definitely not worth a 25+ goal scorer (Higgins)... so yeah, if they want to give us Sutton for Bégin + O'Byrne, MAYBE I'd think about it.

Hunter is OK, but his FIVE years contract doesnt create room for guys like Chipchura or D'Agostini...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:51 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

You guys want to stay away from Sutton. He can show some flashes of inspiration offensively, but he is awful in his own zone. I promise you that is not a contract you want to have for the next couple of years.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Tortue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

Gorges is as good as Sutton is (this year that is) and cost only 1M$, and Sutton is definitely not worth a 25+ goal scorer (Higgins)... so yeah, if they want to give us Sutton for Bégin + O'Byrne, MAYBE I'd think about it.

Hunter is OK, but his FIVE years contract doesnt create room for guys like Chipchura or D'Agostini...
Sutton is huge. Gorges might be a bouncing ball that doesn't affraid of anything but he would bounce of Sutton. Sutton is Goliath's second coming.

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:54 PM
mariolemieux66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Salary cap wise for THIS year yeah I agree, but we'll have lots of FAs (both UFAs and RFAs) to deal with this summer... add to that the Carle, Weber, McDo and Subban of this world who will need a chance at some point, I don't think it makes sense generally speaking
All these dmen wont make the team for the next 2-3 years, maybe exept Weber.Sutton has this year and one more.
SuTTon conver Higgins salary for next year and hunter is only 2 000 000$ for the next 4 years, which is a deal.
Hunter is a 20 goals per season player who hits a lot.

Old
11-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Lots of habs fans have been talking aout getting a top 4 dmen and it also seem the consensus is that players like Bouwmeester, Burns, Morris or Ohlund would cost Montreal too many young players.I personaly think that we should pass on the Brett Clark and Jay McKee.

There is a team we could trade with and its the NY Islanders. guys like Trent Hunter and Andy Sutton can be the solution to some of Montreal deficiencies, like the lack of size, gritt and nastynes, especially on defense.
Hunter could play on a line with Lang and Kostitsyn or even on the 2nd with Koivu and Tanguay, Hunter can also kill penalties.
Which i like about Hunter is that he is a decent 2 way forward that hits a lot, his not slow and can pitch in 20 goals.
Hunter has a 5 years contrat at 2 000 000$ per seasons which is very decent

Sutton salary( 3 500 000$) and injuries is what a worries me a little, but like i mention earlier, getting a top 4dmen will cost a lots and i think Sutton trade value is not very high and worth to take a chance for the following reason.the guy is a monster 6'6 245, very physical, blocks shots, has a nasty disposition that is much needed on the Montreal defense, especialy after seeing the leafs charching Price 3-4 times in the last game.
I saw Sutton play against Vancouver when he was with Minnesota and he will defenitely clear the front of the net.
Sutton is signed for 2 more years including this one, at 3 500 000 per year against the cap.

I can see a trade involving Higgins(who's from NY), O'Byrne or Gorges and Begin.

What do you guys think?
An please be nice!!!
if were already using higgins and gorges we might as well add a pick....and im sure that will get us bouwmeester or someone of that caliber

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:58 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortue View Post
Sutton is huge. Gorges might be a bouncing ball that doesn't affraid of anything but he would bounce of Sutton. Sutton is Goliath's second coming.

He could be the strongest D in the NHL for all I care... that doesnt make him a GOOD D...

for thoses who didnt see him play this year outside that game, remember our comeback against NYI ? well... we can thank Sutton for a few of our goals that evening...

Sutton of 3/4 years ago could be in our top 3, this season's Sutton is not worth Gorges alone...

Quote:
All these dmen wont make the team for the next 2-3 years, maybe exept Weber.Sutton has this year and one more.
SuTTon conver Higgins salary for next year and hunter is only 2 000 000$ for the next 4 years, which is a deal.
Hunter is a 20 goals per season player who hits a lot.
Assuming we resign Komisarek, we'll have Komisarek, Gorges, Hamrlik and Markov signed for at least another two years - and at worst we can probably resign Bouillon as a 6th D for a year or two (to a decent salary this time)...

so it's a good thing if only one or two of them D is ready within the next two season...

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-11-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old
11-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Belarus

Quote:

What do you guys think?
An please be nice!!!
That is a viable trade except... 2nd round pick in this year's draft is too tempting to give up. Oh and also, while Hunter is a very good player and one of our leaders (possibly C in the future), he lacks what your style of play requires - speed. But, at the same time, if he had high speed you'd have to give up both Kostitsyns and Higgins to get him

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 03:02 PM
mariolemieux66

Quote:

Next year Montreal is without Kostopoulos, dandenault, Koivu is ufa, Kovalev is ufa, Tanguay is ufa, Lang is ufa.
There will be plenty of space for young players.

Old
11-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Belarus

Oh, and guys, by any chance maybe you're interested in one final piece championship team needs? We got him! Mike Comrie!!! Just think about it, you get Hilary Duff for FREE!!

Old
11-11-2008, 03:05 PM
mariolemieux66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
if were already using higgins and gorges we might as well add a pick....and im sure that will get us bouwmeester or someone of that caliber
well...The problem is that Bouwmeester will get at least 5 500 000 next year.With Komi at minimum 4 000 000$ that makes our top 4 dmen getting 21 000 000$+ next year.
OUCH!

Old
11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Next year Montreal is without Kostopoulos, dandenault, Koivu is ufa, Kovalev is ufa, Tanguay is ufa, Lang is ufa.
There will be plenty of space for young players.
Kostopoulos and Dandeneault are 4th liners, Koivu and Lang are playing C... all of them leaving still doesnt create room for WINGERS such as Pacioretty or D'Agostini...

so unless Tanguay or Kovalev leaves, there will be no room for WINGERS next year either... well! maybe on the 4th line...

Quote:
well...The problem is that Bouwmeester will get at least 5 500 000 next year.With Komi at minimum 4 000 000$ that makes our top 4 dmen getting 21 000 000$+ next year.
OUCH!
a Bowmeester unsigned for next year is still good enough to make us a serious contender THIS year though...

Old
11-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Still...3.5 is a lot of money for somebody that's about the skills of O'Byrne. I wonder why Sutton makes so much.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
mariolemieux66

Quote:
Kostopoulos and Dandeneault are 4th liners, Koivu and Lang are playing C... all of them leaving still doesnt create room for WINGERS such as Pacioretty or D'Agostini...

so unless Tanguay or Kovalev leaves, there will be no room for WINGERS next year either... well! maybe on the 4th line...

a Bowmeester unsigned for next year is still good enough to make us a serious contender THIS year though...
I dont see Chipchura or D'Agostini playing on the top 2 lines next year.
Maybe there will be space on the 3rd

Old
11-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Belarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Still...3.5 is a lot of money for somebody that's about the skills of O'Byrne. I wonder why Sutton makes so much.
you're not the only one