HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recchi vs Kovalev

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2004, 12:23 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Recchi vs Kovalev

These are just numbers, I know.

Kovalev reportedly turned dow a Habs offer that would have paid him 4.25M$ per year.

Recchi signed with the Pens at 3M$ per year.

Recchi clearly outperformed Kovalev (statisticaly speaking at the very least) during the regular season. Regular Season stats is often what new contract figures are based on in negotiations.

If Rex can only squeeze out 3 (although he wanted to stay in Penn state I know), who is to say that Kovalev can get far more than 3M$ from a mystery team X?

Also, to all you Pen believers out there, AK and Rex are both RWers. I don`t think that AK would sign on to play on a bad PGH 2nd line. Dido for Recchi.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Jacob

Kovalev's best season came when he was second fiddle to Jagr.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:36 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Kovalev's best season came when he was second fiddle to Jagr.
Yeah well that team also had Mario, Lang and Straka. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 2nd line was Straka-Lang-Kovalev.

This Pens team doesn`t have such talent for the 2nd line. Nor does it have the bling bling to sign Recchi and Kovalev and 1 or 2 more high end players.

I think that Recchi going to PGH is a blessing in disguise.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Jacob

Well, prior to that season Lang and Straka, and even Kovalev, weren't as highly regarded as they were at the END of the season. They each had breakout seasons that year.

The top 6 will be rounded out by guys like Kraft, Malone, and Morozov. They've got skill and upside, and could break out under good conditions.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:50 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Yeah well that team also had Mario, Lang and Straka. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 2nd line was Straka-Lang-Kovalev.

This Pens team doesn`t have such talent for the 2nd line. Nor does it have the bling bling to sign Recchi and Kovalev and 1 or 2 more high end players.
I think that Recchi going to PGH is a blessing in disguise.

just out of curiosity, exactly how do you know how much bling bling the Pens have?
Recent events have shown that most here have been pretty mistaken about the Pens situation. Now I have no clue either what they do or do not have, but from the way Craig Patrick has been talking Recchi is not all that they are able to sign. If you have inside info that I do not have though, feel free to enlighten me.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:01 AM
not quite yoda

No Source as such. Just an impression.

They gave Straka to LA to lose the contract.

Jagr was dealt for predominant money issues.

Kovalev to the Rangers was a pure salary dump; a 4 for 4 where the $ went East.

PGH attendance was low last year.

Pnx is a team that is spending $ this summer. They just got a new building. THe Pens are not in a new building.

As far as I know, Corporate sponsorship in Pittsburgh is not as Penguin friendly as it use to be.

The Penguins majority owner does not have as deep pockets as say... Hicks or Snyder or Illitch.

The Pens are dying for municipal and state help to help finance a new home as they don't have enough money to build it by themselves as say... The Montreal Canadiens (=Molson) built the Molson Center by themselves.

Penguins don't have the slots yet. Will they? who knows.

nah... see i just don't see it. The Pens got Recchi for low $ because he wasn't wanted by the Flyers anymore. His wifes from steel town, he has a new young family, he is at the end of his career, he already has a cup, he was happy in PGH. He went toPGH for likely less money than he coulda had elsewhere.

By no means should this suggest that the Pens suddenly have loads of cash to spend.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:15 AM
DJ Spinoza

It also doesn't mean that Kovalev won't want to return here, and may even take a little less than he could get elsewhere.

Recchi is a LW too, so they could play on the same line in theory. The talent would probably be spread out some, though.

I don't know exactly where the Penguins have some money to spend, but they obviously have it from somewhere or they wouldn't be signing Recchi at 3/year.

Stan Savran, who is a long time sports show host and a very respected media outlet here, basically reported numerous times today that his sources say Kovy to Pittsburgh is "virtually a done deal." Now, I'll believe it when I see it, but trust me when I say that Savran isn't going to facilitate something that isn't true.

I have heard that the Penguins still have a decent chunk of change to spend in free agency, and I do believe the Kovy to Pittsburgh rumor now. I hate getting my hopes up, but I think this ones true... We'll see as the week rolls on next week, there's no point to argue back and forth here.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:38 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
It also doesn't mean that Kovalev won't want to return here, and may even take a little less than he could get elsewhere.

Recchi is a LW too, so they could play on the same line in theory. The talent would probably be spread out some, though.

I don't know exactly where the Penguins have some money to spend, but they obviously have it from somewhere or they wouldn't be signing Recchi at 3/year.

Stan Savran, who is a long time sports show host and a very respected media outlet here, basically reported numerous times today that his sources say Kovy to Pittsburgh is "virtually a done deal." Now, I'll believe it when I see it, but trust me when I say that Savran isn't going to facilitate something that isn't true.

I have heard that the Penguins still have a decent chunk of change to spend in free agency, and I do believe the Kovy to Pittsburgh rumor now. I hate getting my hopes up, but I think this ones true... We'll see as the week rolls on next week, there's no point to argue back and forth here.
Damn, i'm beginning to think that Kovalev may sign with Pens. Kovalev don't want to play in a system. With Mario, he will be allowed to play his game, his way. If it's what he want, sign with em...But if you really want to win and play with a team who might win the cup in the next 3 years, sign here, Kovy.

If Mario want to build a new arena he need to have a good team on the ice because otherwise people will not come. It's a simple fact. Now why he sold all the team in 2 years? Straka, Lang, Kovalev, Jagr. Damn, there's enough name in that sentence to blow a head gasket. He want to repair his mistakes? Maybe but Recchi at 3 millions a year is already a good chunk of money for that poor team. Now they would add Kovalev at 4+ a year??? I just don't think they have the money to do it.

IMO, the 2 most serious team in the derby is MTL and PIT. Hope it's MTL. Otherwise, there are many other good UFA.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:43 AM
Jacob

Kovalev wanted 7 million when he was traded. 4 million for him is a bargain by comparison.

I'm pretty sure the Penguins offered Kovalev a long-term deal worth about 5 million per, back before he got traded. They also offered Lang a long-term deal, but they were beaten out by the Caps. Now it's simply looking like players are starting to fall into their price range.

Old
07-10-2004, 02:12 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Kovalev wanted 7 million when he was traded. 4 million for him is a bargain by comparison.

I'm pretty sure the Penguins offered Kovalev a long-term deal worth about 5 million per, back before he got traded. They also offered Lang a long-term deal, but they were beaten out by the Caps. Now it's simply looking like players are starting to fall into their price range.
Hard salary cap will help them a lot. But they still need the new arena. Like the expos need a new stadium. I think it's very stupid that we can't build a new stadium in MTL. Expos put MTL on the map. MLB is watched in over 100 countries around the world. Government could have paid a part of that. I know it's too late now. DAMN. I hope Pens will build their arena and keep the team in Pittsburgh, your team have a great story.

Old
07-10-2004, 10:01 AM
justicex

But there is one thing... even if they would annonce new arena construction for next year. How long it take to build one? At least one year, if not two. Maybe the project would bring folks to old arena while waiting for the new one..

Old
07-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
The Penguins have 3 years until their lease with the Igloo runs out.

It'll probably take 1 1/2-2 years to build the arena.

Even if they run short it's not like they can't play in the Igloo for another year if there is another arena being built.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
07-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
The Penguins have 3 years until their lease with the Igloo runs out.

It'll probably take 1 1/2-2 years to build the arena.

Even if they run short it's not like they can't play in the Igloo for another year if there is another arena being built.
Yes but haven't they already said they aren't able to make significant revenues in the Igloo?? This would seem to suggest that they don't have a lot of money to sign players till after the new arena is built.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:04 PM
craig1

Quote:
No Source as such. Just an impression.

They gave Straka to LA to lose the contract.
Yes. The fact that they got a dynamic scorong prospect in return (Anshakov) means nothing.

Quote:
Jagr was dealt for predominant money issues.
Jagr was dealt mostly beacuase he demanded a trade 4 times throughout his last season and after the season. His salary was prohibitive, but things could have been done to keep him.

[QUOTE=espionKovalev to the Rangers was a pure salary dump; a 4 for 4 where the $ went East.
[/QUOTE]Kovalev was dumped. But the Pens were starting to rebuild, and were not going to geive him 9 million a year that he was looking for supposedly while going thtough a rebuilding. They were out of the playoff race long before he was dealt.

[QUOTE=espionThe Penguins majority owner does not have as deep pockets as say... Hicks or Snyder or Illitch.

[/QUOTE]
What do deep pockets have to do with anythin? If a business cannot support itself (The NHL), how much cash the owner has means nothing! No owner wants to lose millions, no matter how much case they have...(The Mavericks are profitable by the way after intangibles are accounted for, so don't say Cuban!)

Old
07-10-2004, 01:07 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
Yes but haven't they already said they aren't able to make significant revenues in the Igloo?? This would seem to suggest that they don't have a lot of money to sign players till after the new arena is built.
The Pens have almost no salary due to all the kids, and revenues from adding a Recchi and Kovy would be more than offset by the increase in attendance and merchandising. You have to understand the cult status that those 2 hold in Pittsburgh.

Closed Thread