HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'byrne & Brisebois (merged)

Old
11-03-2008, 02:38 PM
CrisisInMTL

vCash: 500
Ducks 4th dman was O'donnell, right?

Nieds-Beachemin
Pronger-Odonnell
Huskins- Dipenta

If I remember correctly

Edit: I just looked it up and this is correct. They traded away Shane O'Brien at the deadline to TB

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I don't think Hannan played on the Ducks..
He didn't. Pretty sure ducks #4 that year was O'Donnell.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office View Post
Ducks 4th dman was O'donnell, right?

Nieds-Beachemin
Pronger-Odonnell
Huskins- Dipenta

If I remember correctly

Edit: I just looked it up and this is correct. They traded away Shane O'Brien at the deadline to TB
I believe he was. But it didn't really matter since Pronger, Niedermayer and Beauchemin were playing 30 mins each, O'Donnell with 20 mins and the rest under 12 mins.

Last playoffs Markov played 25 mins a game, Hamrlik 23 and Komisarek 20 (though he was hurt). So the need for a #4 d-man is much more important to the Habs than it was for the Ducks, especially with the uncertainty of Markov's playoff performance which are usually sub-par, for him.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
again I agree , but for me there is a difference between a top 4 and top 6 dmen , and if he doesnt make it as a good top 4, we need another one eventually, do you agree?

have a look at the top 4 of stanley cup winning teams in the past years, and it'll give us a good idea of the level he needs to be at comes spring ...
detroit ; lidstrom , rafalski , kronwall , stuart
ducks: beauchemin , pronger, niedermayer, hannan
carolina : kaberle, ward, Hedican, commodore,
tampa : Boyle, Sarich, kubina, sydor, lukowich
Devils : Stevens, niedermayer, rafalski , white

not saying OB isn't good, but lets be realistic...it won't happen this year ...

there might be mistakes in my list, I relied on memory ...

but just saying, thats beside the fact that all these teams had amazing goaltending... osgood,giguere,ward on fire, khaby, brodeur...

I really think a strong top 4 dmen would give us a realistic shot at the cup this year...
1) as others pointed out Hannan was not a number 4 on the ducks... he wasn't even on the ducks.
2) O'B is not our number 4, nor does he need to be... He needs to develop into a reliable number 6 something he isn't right now.

Our number 4 is Josh Gorges.

Josh Gorges replaces O'B on the PK, he replaces him in the last few minutes of the game.

The thing is for the majority of the game at 5 on 5 we go with a balanced 2nd and 3rd paing... our first pairing is loaded... but our 2nd and 3rd pairings are equal.

To break it down we line up like this

#1 LD - #1 RD
#2 LD - #3 RD
#3 LD - #2 RD

When we shorten the bench... well then Gorges gets more minutes than O'Byrne.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
1UP

Brisebois plays well for a 750k$ D.

O'Byrne is a very big player and has a lot to learn on sound defensive play. However, if we compare him to Komi from 2 years ago, it's getting a bit scary. Still, he'll learn.

Can't bash any of these 2.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Beakermania*

Apparently these two threads are the same thing

Old
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Apparently these two threads are the same thing
It's sort of the silly argument.

Those for O'Byrne say, "Brisebois is worse, therefore O'Byrne stays"
Those against O'Byrne say, "Brisebois can't leave, O'Byrne can, so O'Byrne leaves".

I say, who cares? It's what, game 10?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
It's sort of the silly argument.

Those for O'Byrne say, "Brisebois is worse, therefore O'Byrne stays"
Those against O'Byrne say, "Brisebois can't leave, O'Byrne can, so O'Byrne leaves".

I say, who cares? It's what, game 10?
I say keep'em both.
O'Byrne needs to play a maximum of games to learn and start settling down.

Gorges didn't start the season with a roster spot last year nor was he convincing early on, but we all know what happened to him since.
Before the start of last season, he had about double the exp O'Byrne now has. Little by little, I'm convinced O'Byrne will start playing well. The kid has potential, once he feels good on the ice and stops stressing, once he gets the coaches confidence, I'm sure he'll be solid.

For now, It's useless to put Breezer in the lineup. Not to mention Pat isn't Mr.Defense either. Might as well make your youngster learn and keep Breezer for security reasons or make him play every now and then.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Toro

O'byrne had a great game tonight.. Nice all around play. He was very effective in both ends and in the neutral zone. He looked like he had enough time to make his plays, he wasn't rushing everything and flubbing around. He looked confident. Some great hits, some great shots, lots of consistant passing. Not sure what his ice time was but i bet it was much higher than his average. Of course the whole team played well, but big ryan had a g r eat game. Hope he keeps it up, for him its all about when he plays with confidence he plays good.

also a honourable mentiion to Josh Gorges. What a hell of a game from him, he has become an important contributer on the back end. He has developed into a good 2way defenceman for the second pair? maybe..

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:39 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
O'byrne had a great game tonight.. Nice all around play. He was very effective in both ends and in the neutral zone. He looked like he had enough time to make his plays, he wasn't rushing everything and flubbing around. He looked confident. Some great hits, some great shots, lots of consistant passing. Not sure what his ice time was but i bet it was much higher than his average. Of course the whole team played well, but big ryan had a g r eat game. Hope he keeps it up, for him its all about when he plays with confidence he plays good.

also a honourable mentiion to Josh Gorges. What a hell of a game from him, he has become an important contributer on the back end. He has developed into a good 2way defenceman for the second pair? maybe..

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
x2

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:

Totally agree, he looked a bit shaky in the first period but after that he played just great out there. I loved how much he was throwing his weight around there, hopefully he can keep building on this game.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Agreed O'Byrne was great.

Gorges is already our number 4 d based on minutes... Carbo likes even pairs though... thats why the 6th d plays with Hammer. Notice how Gorges and bouillion were split up with Hammer out on saturday... it was to balance the 2nd-3rd pairs.