HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Laraque too much of a nice guy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2008, 09:35 AM
  #51
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
what stuns me, is that edmonton were underdogs, with many players playing like crap...but somehow its Laraque's fault.

what stuns me also, is that Malkin and Crosby had difficult games , along with pits defensive unit... but , of course, laraque is to blame for that...


I agree with your post, I don't understand why people are being laraque haters because he never won the cup ...

Based on that logic, why is koivu still on our team
lol..I know, some people just can't grasp that hockey is a team sport. That it takes a full roster of players, not just a few to win the cup.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:23 AM
  #52
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol..It's not being a Mr. Goody Two Shoes, it's being Mature. Plus, I'm not fully awake yet.

lol Mature, thats not me, just ask my wife as i squeezed the hell out of her hand when we hit turbulance before landing in Manchester, NH.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
  #53
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
lol Mature, thats not me, just ask my wife as i squeezed the hell out of her hand when we hit turbulance before landing in Manchester, NH.
lol..sounds like my flight yesterday from Toronto to Calgary. I was sitting beside an older gentleman when they announced that we were going to go through some turbulence.

I turned to the old guy and said "Dibs on that hot flight attendant if we're going to crash". The funny part was he looked at me and smiled and said "Fat chance."

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:06 PM
  #54
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol..sounds like my flight yesterday from Toronto to Calgary. I was sitting beside an older gentleman when they announced that we were going to go through some turbulence.

I turned to the old guy and said "Dibs on that hot flight attendant if we're going to crash". The funny part was he looked at me and smiled and said "Fat chance."
LOL. "Yeah, with my luck, we won't even crash"

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:13 PM
  #55
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Laraque in the Sens game

It seems a lot of people are upset that Ruuttu went head hunting after Lapierre with his elbow.

I don't get something, though. Isn't the mere PRESENCE of Georges Laraque supposed to "prevent" this type of thing?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:14 PM
  #56
TheGoalJudge
Registered User
 
TheGoalJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Well if it was Kovalev he took out you'd have a better point.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:14 PM
  #57
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
how can the presence of anyone stop a natural born ***** from being a *****?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:15 PM
  #58
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It seems a lot of people are upset that Ruuttu went head hunting after Lapierre with his elbow.

I don't get something, though. Isn't the mere PRESENCE of Georges Laraque supposed to "prevent" this type of thing?

Ruuttu was removed just in the nick of time.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
  #59
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It seems a lot of people are upset that Ruuttu went head hunting after Lapierre with his elbow.

I don't get something, though. Isn't the mere PRESENCE of Georges Laraque supposed to "prevent" this type of thing?
Maybe it there would have two or three elbows without Laraques.. What do you know.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
  #60
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,069
vCash: 500
If Laraque had got a hold of Ruutu before Bouillon I guarantee we wouldn't have seen Ruutu try that **** again.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
  #61
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,310
vCash: 50
You can't prove that deterrence works.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
  #62
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,119
vCash: 500
Awards:
No. It's like the saying: "all the laws in the world aren't going to stop one lunatic with a gun". Anybody who believed that no Hab would ever receive a cheapshot again with Laraque in the lineup was fooling themselves...but Laraque's effectiveness can't ever fairly be judged because it's impossible to say just how many players are actually thinking twice about taking a run at a Hab player because they know Laraque is in the lineup (edit: Frogurt said the same thing a lot better with a lot fewer words). Personally, I think Laraque has been a deterrent. I mean, we saw how effective Neil and Ruutu were tonight.

You can also thank the instigator rule, however, which does cut into Laraque (and any goon's) effectiveness somewhat.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:18 PM
  #63
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Ours!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,449
vCash: 597
Chris Neil did nothing tonight, there's your answer on Laraque's impact.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:18 PM
  #64
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It seems a lot of people are upset that Ruuttu went head hunting after Lapierre with his elbow.

I don't get something, though. Isn't the mere PRESENCE of Georges Laraque supposed to "prevent" this type of thing?

sorry but thats a silly thought, how is BGL suppose to scare a punk like that when the punk will only turtle anyway ?

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:18 PM
  #65
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If Laraque had got a hold of Ruutu before Bouillon I guarantee we wouldn't have seen Ruutu try that **** again.
5 minutes for "receiving" as Gord Miller put it

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:28 PM
  #66
habsfan56
Registered User
 
habsfan56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
didnt you see how the presence of laraque made the sens player shutup during the scrums

habsfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:35 PM
  #67
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Chris Neil did nothing tonight, there's your answer on Laraque's impact.
thank you, i can't believe the number of people who just don't get what Laraque brings, Ruutu is a skum who hits dirty and runs away, thewre were player blocking Laraque from Ruutu after. Bouillon caught him and made him pay. The effect Laraque does is when people want to drop em with Komi or Lappierre in missmatch, i.e Chris Neil, Laraque shuts down the fire, in the process he minimisies the chances of our players getting injured and he gives our energy players there chance play there game to the fullest. Look at Lappierre this year, he's way more intense, hits more , yaps more, gets into those after play brawls, it's great to see. I'm just happy the organisation gave him green light to play regularely. We need him

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
  #68
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Chris Neil did nothing tonight, there's your answer on Laraque's impact.
And Komo was free to make sweet love to both Vermette and Heatley at the end of the game. Nobody was looking they just letted him do his work while Laraque was looking at them ready to do the same.

And is there realy someone who thought that laraque would jump on the ice and punch everyone, kick them, rush the goalies like a train as soon has he could?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:52 PM
  #69
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
No. It's like the saying: "all the laws in the world aren't going to stop one lunatic with a gun". Anybody who believed that no Hab would ever receive a cheapshot again with Laraque in the lineup was fooling themselves...but Laraque's effectiveness can't ever fairly be judged because it's impossible to say just how many players are actually thinking twice about taking a run at a Hab player because they know Laraque is in the lineup (edit: Frogurt said the same thing a lot better with a lot fewer words). Personally, I think Laraque has been a deterrent. I mean, we saw how effective Neil and Ruutu were tonight.

You can also thank the instigator rule, however, which does cut into Laraque (and any goon's) effectiveness somewhat.
People who complain about the instigator rule forget that it works both ways. The instigator rule has a deterrent effect on a guy from starting up with Komisarek just to get him out of the lineup for 5 minutes or more, with equal minutes to the instigator.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 10:05 PM
  #70
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Chris Neil did nothing tonight, there's your answer on Laraque's impact.
I was gonna say, he barely even had words with any of the Habs tonight. I was expecting something cheap and dirty. Laraque's presence kept his ugly little mouth shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
thank you, i can't believe the number of people who just don't get what Laraque brings, Ruutu is a skum who hits dirty and runs away, thewre were player blocking Laraque from Ruutu after. Bouillon caught him and made him pay. The effect Laraque does is when people want to drop em with Komi or Lappierre in missmatch, i.e Chris Neil, Laraque shuts down the fire, in the process he minimisies the chances of our players getting injured and he gives our energy players there chance play there game to the fullest. Look at Lappierre this year, he's way more intense, hits more , yaps more, gets into those after play brawls, it's great to see. I'm just happy the organisation gave him green light to play regularely. We need him
Whenever anything starts up, Laraque magically appears to tell whoever it is from the opposing team to calm the **** down. And they do. If that's not a deterrent, I don't know what is.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
  #71
HF-Addict
Registered User
 
HF-Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Chris Neil did nothing tonight, there's your answer on Laraque's impact.
Quote for truth, he is usually a pain in the ass yapping his mouth off and hitting goaltender.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 10:17 PM
  #72
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Chris Neil did nothing tonight, there's your answer on Laraque's impact.
I was just going to make this same point. The biggest proof that Laraque serves as a deterrent was the game Chris Neil played tonight. There was no edge to his game at all. He usually runs wild against the Canadiens like a bull in a China shop. Tonight that version of Neil simply didn't exist.

I wonder why?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 10:17 PM
  #73
Tricolore#20
Registered User
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,175
vCash: 500
Laraque and Ruutu were teammates last year too. Maybe they got along? The point was brought up the other day, but it was somewhat valid and was a major criticism people in Edmonton had of Laraque; he is a really nice guy.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 10:33 PM
  #74
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
And is there realy someone who thought that laraque would jump on the ice and punch everyone, kick them, rush the goalies like a train as soon has he could?
Yes. A lot of fans here assume BGL should be doing just that, just like a lot of fans here thought a goon would be a deterrent to cheap shots like Ruutu on Lapierre.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 10:41 PM
  #75
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
You can't prove that deterrence works.
The bear patrol must be working like a charm...

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.