HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Joe Thornton only thinking of himself

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2004, 11:01 AM
eye

vCash: 500
Joe Thornton only thinking of himself

I have some friends that play professionally in Europe and their not too happy about Thronton coming over. They said he is basically taking a job away from players that actually need the money to feed their families. Any opinions on this. I see their point. A multi-millionaire going to Europe to make what about 300,000 at most and he's allowed to come back to the NHL if the strike is settled. Why would a player risk injury and his potential to make millions more in the NHL? I'm sure the stick work on Joe will be incredible but then again wasn't it Joe that complained about illegal defenses in the NHL. Maybe Joe will like it better and stay in Europe.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:11 AM
electric

I bet that when Thornton buys a can of Coke people complains that he takes it away from people who need it.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
I have some friends that play professionally in Europe and their not too happy about Thronton coming over. They said he is basically taking a job away from players that actually need the money to feed their families. Any opinions on this. I see their point. A multi-millionaire going to Europe to make what about 300,000 at most and he's allowed to come back to the NHL if the strike is settled. Why would a player risk injury and his potential to make millions more in the NHL? I'm sure the stick work on Joe will be incredible but then again wasn't it Joe that complained about illegal defenses in the NHL. Maybe Joe will like it better and stay in Europe.
Thornton is not the only player who has a job lined up on Europe if there in a delay or no NHL season. Dozens of other players have already set up similar plans as well. Thornton is only the latest and is getting more headlines because of his stance with the Bruins.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:29 AM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
I bet that when Thornton buys a can of Coke people complains that he takes it away from people who need it.
That's nothing. When I go to the gym, I'm only thinking of myself because an obese person needs to be on that elliptical machine more than I do.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
By that logic if ti wasn't for all the goalies in the NHL taking up all the spots, I could be playing there. Give your head a shake. Of course he's thinking of himself, who else will? You think the Bruins are going to make sure he's taken care of in a lockout? Hell no. That's the point.

That's life in every single walk of life. If someone is better or more qualified than you, they get the job. Period. If Thornton had decided to never play in the NHL and started in Europe would your friends still be mad?

Old
07-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Slats432

Rather than start another Joe Thornton thread....here is the latest on his trials and turbulations with the Spoked B.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ts_new_course/

Old
07-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Thorton like many nhlers just want to stay in playing shape if tehre is a nhl lockout or strike

Old
07-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
I have some friends that play professionally in Europe and their not too happy about Thronton coming over. They said he is basically taking a job away from players that actually need the money to feed their families. Any opinions on this. I see their point. A multi-millionaire going to Europe to make what about 300,000 at most and he's allowed to come back to the NHL if the strike is settled.
I agree man. I've heard the same thing. I have some friends that are concerned about their futures due to this whole mess. Any NHL millionaire player that takes the job of someone else who is actually playing to feed his family is a hypocryte.

If, say, the player is to stay (as in Salo and Forsberg, who apparently are staying in Europe regardless of what happens over here), then theres no problem with that. If a player is involved in a labour dispute, then plays elsewhere in the meantime till the situation is resolved, then thats pretty low class. That goes for more players than just Thornton though, as someone pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
wasn't it Joe that complained about illegal defenses in the NHL.
Ya, and a few days later I watched him waterskiing while playing the Oilers, and the first thing that came to my mind was "wasnt he just complaining about the same thing happening to him?" but thats another topic altogether.

Old
07-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Master Lok

Likewise tho, the Swiss hockey club doesn't HAVE to sign Thornton...

Old
07-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
You think the Bruins are going to make sure he's taken care of in a lockout?
Taken care of? Are you kidding? Tell me again what he made last year and why he would have to be taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Give your head a shake.?

Old
07-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Big Phil

[QUOTE=eye]I have some friends that play professionally in Europe and their not too happy about Thronton coming over. They said he is basically taking a job away from players that actually need the money to feed their families.

Hmmm. That's a twist of irony. Europeans complaining that Canadians are taking their jobs away in Hockey. I see something very similar over here. You see at the NHL level I say whoever is the best should play. But in the Canadian Junior Leagues do you agree that because some Czech player comes overseas that they are taking a job away form a 16 or 17 year old Canadian kid who has waited his whole life to play and who's parents have sacrificed everything to make him get this far.

I think its no different. Because those Europeans who are so "mad" over there about Thornton coming over should look in the mirror. You see counrtys like Slovakia or the Czech Republic cant very well produce legitimate Hockey players nowadays until they send them over to us here in Canada. Don't believe me? Look at the Czech and Slovak rosters on the next World Juniors and tell me if half of them dont play Junior Hockey in Canada. Who's calling the kettle black?

Old
07-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Hmmm. That's a twist of irony. Europeans complaining that Canadians are taking their jobs away in Hockey. I see something very similar over here. You see at the NHL level I say whoever is the best should play. But in the Canadian Junior Leagues do you agree that because some Czech player comes overseas that they are taking a job away form a 16 or 17 year old Canadian kid who has waited his whole life to play and who's parents have sacrificed everything to make him get this far.

I think its no different. Because those Europeans who are so "mad" over there about Thornton coming over should look in the mirror. You see counrtys like Slovakia or the Czech Republic cant very well produce legitimate Hockey players nowadays until they send them over to us here in Canada. Don't believe me? Look at the Czech and Slovak rosters on the next World Juniors and tell me if half of them dont play Junior Hockey in Canada. Who's calling the kettle black?
Good points. The only thing I have to add is that I have a problem with a person involved in a labour dispute defending his right to make millions taking a job away from a person that makes thousands. Especially if he’s only doing it temporarily until he can go back to making his millions again.

But hey, who said life is fair.

Old
07-09-2004, 04:36 PM
MaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Hmmm. That's a twist of irony. Europeans complaining that Canadians are taking their jobs away in Hockey.
Actually I don't think it would be European players, or at least not Swiss ones in this case. There is import limit in the Euroe leagues, so those who'd lost their jobs would be another import players. Players from other Europen countries could just go back home, there is always a spot for player who's ben good enough to get a job in Swiss league. But for Canadian or US players it would be harder to find new spot, especially if AHL (which pays less) is crowded with young NHL prospects next season. Actually at last Shayne Toporowsky was kind of complaining about the possible lock out, and was afraid he might lose his job for this season (he didn't though).

Old
07-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Kronblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaV
Actually I don't think it would be European players, or at least not Swiss ones in this case. There is import limit in the Euroe leagues, so those who'd lost their jobs would be another import players. Players from other Europen countries could just go back home, there is always a spot for player who's ben good enough to get a job in Swiss league. But for Canadian or US players it would be harder to find new spot, especially if AHL (which pays less) is crowded with young NHL prospects next season.
Exactly, it´s the north american players in Europe who are afraid of losing their jobs due to the import-rules. The maximum number of foreigners in Switzerland is 4, though Davos have only Josef Marha so far for 2004/05 if you disregard Thornton. Last year they finished the season with Marha, Todd Elik, Jonas Höglund and Robert Guillet as the foreign quartet. An upgrade for next season..?

Swedish teams can only dress 3 non-EU players, so with most teams spending the money on the swedish NHLers there wont be much more room for others. There may be one or two in the SEL but expect the biggest stars in Switzerland since they have a lot more money down there.

The biggest problem for the european teams are how to deal with the insurances, they will in some cases be higher than the actually salary. A player like Nicklas Lidström will be virtually impossible to sign unless the club reach to some sort of a agreement with Detroit Red Wings and/or the player pays the insurance himself.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:13 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye

If anything Thornton will promote a game of hockey overseas. And why only Thornton? I heard Andrei Markov wants to play in Russia in case of lockout... Roenick will play for some German hockey club...

I also think salary will be much higher than 300,000... In RSL stars are getting around(and in some cases more) 1,000,000 now.

More people may start to like watching hockey seeing real stars in action.

Risking injuries??? I don't think Swiss league is as physical as N/A hockey leagues.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:17 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale
That's nothing. When I go to the gym, I'm only thinking of myself because an obese person needs to be on that elliptical machine more than I do.
You sick, selfish @#%$-er!

Old
07-09-2004, 07:45 PM
PEli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
What about Mike York? Brandon Reid? Nik Lidstrom? Would you rather see the best in the world do nothing for a year and come back to the NHL rusty and out of shape?

Should teams sign guys based on the fact that they need to make money to feed their families? If so, I want to start a family right now and sign with a Swiss team for $300,000.

Seriously. Joe Thornton is only thinking of himself. That's what the business is about. If he didn't think of himself, he would have quit hockey before he made the NHL in fear of taking a spot from a guy who needs to feed his family as well.

Old
07-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Vlad The Impaler

It's hockey. It's a competitive environment.

I'm not happy for fringe players who may lose their job. No need to be classless.

But that's how it goes. They're going to lose spots if teams find better players. It's always been that way and always will be that way.

The better players will remain and the more resilient of those who are out of a job should hopefully be able to stay in shape playing wherever they can and come back when the NHLers leave.

Old
07-10-2004, 03:23 AM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale
When I'm walking on the street, I'm trepassing on a hobo's property...:lol

Old
07-10-2004, 03:46 AM
BCCHL inactive

I see nothing wrong with Thornton signing with Davos. He is a free agent in the NHL (albeit restricted), and has every right to go to Europe.

So what if his bank account is grossly inflated? Why should that restrict him to signing an NHL contract (if the NHL is playing)?

Old
07-10-2004, 03:49 AM
DaveyCrockett

Rant on. First off, the odds that Thornton actually plays for Davos if there is an NHL season are next to nil. Secondly, a lockout will not last more than one season at the max. Its not like Thornton is permenantly taking away a job. This is a stupid argument anyways. If Thornton had to work at McDonalds because he couldn't get a job elsewhere he would still be taking away a job from someone. Just because he is rich doesn't mean he should be forced to sit at home and vegetate. Rant off.

Old
07-10-2004, 03:52 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
Any NHL millionaire player that takes the job of someone else who is actually playing to feed his family is a hypocryte.
That isn't what hypocrite means. Unless he said that it is wrong to do what he is doing or that others shouldn't do it, he isn't a hypocrite. You can make a case for him being a jerk if you wish, but not a hypocrite.

As for this whole thread... what a bunch of nonsense. The man just wants to be sure he is playing hockey next year if there is no NHL to play in. But since he is a highly paid player it is wrong. You know why he would "take" a roster spot from someone else? Because he is a better player. He is taking "someone's" spot when he is in the NHL, too.

Everyone in here, please leave your homes. There are people without homes whose spots you are taking.

Old
07-10-2004, 03:55 PM
eye

Some pretty pathetic responses to what could have been a good mature debate. Perhaps a poorly thought out title on my part. I would have no problem with Thronton signing if he was committed for the full year. The escape clause is what erks me and is the cause of a legit player losing a spot on the roster, at least until Joe decides to opt back into the NHL early December which is when this thing will get settled. More and more I'm starting to think this is just all a big PUBLICITY STUNT by the NHL and the PA. They have more people and media types talking hockey now than they ever have and the publicity is FREE.

Old
07-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
But then again, if he goes to play with the Bruins, he's also taking away a roster spot of somebody trying to feed their family.

If a player is worried about losing his roster spot, then he should work his ass off so he's not the one to lose it. Why should less talented players get special treatment in pro sports?

Old
07-10-2004, 04:13 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
They said he is basically taking a job away from players that actually need the money to feed their families.

Boo ******* hoo......let's take up a collection!

:lol :lol :lol

Closed Thread