HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hab Fans for A. Kost Left Wing Liberation

Old
11-10-2008, 01:25 AM
pozex

vCash: 500
How about we make a trade where we send Higgins and Lats + some cap space relief (Dandenault, Bégin) and get Kovalchuck (Natural Left Winger)

We would then have something looking like

Kovalchuck - Pleks - Kovalev
Tanguay - Koivu - A. Kostytsin
Pacioretty - Lang - Sergei

That would be too much to handle for any defense . lol

N.B: I'm not saying that this proposal would get the deal done, they would probably be asking for some prospects or picks... But Higgins and Lats are pretty good incentives IMO

pozex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:40 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah141 View Post
RW---------C-------LW

A.Kost - Koivu - Tanguay
Kovalev - Plekanec - Higgins
Latendresse - Lang - S.Kost
the Kostitsyns should be together. There's natural chemistry there. Having two guys continually adjust to Kovalev makes no sense.

SKost-Pleks-AKost
Lats-Lang-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay

The real problem is on D though imo. And it has been for a long time. Hammer helped, but we need another puck mover to take away the forecheck and put points on the board.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
Lats-Lang-Kovalev
I really hate that line... seeing it proposed makes me ill.

It is really slow and when Kovalev has his inevitable turnovers they won't be able to get back and cover up on D.

Kovalev needs pleks cause they work well together and Plekanec's speed in getting back prevents the other team from having an odd man rush when Kovalev's dangle doesn't work right, which can happen 5-6 times a game.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:37 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Plekanec and A.Kostitsyn need to be put away from Kovalev.

Kovalev is good but he cant use his teammates for ****, he just dances around in the offensive zone and creates chances by himself. Plekanec an AK46 are being wasted. Kovalev would be playing with Lapierre and Kostopoulos and the line would actually be more effective, because the two grinders could crash the net for rebounds and dig the corners for pucks to feed Kovalev.

Kovalev is meant to play with complimentary players, why? Because he, most of the time, does everything by himself. AK46 and Plekanec, last season, were complimentary player. But they need to take their game up to another level, which would be to be leaders on their respective lines, create their own scoring chances, etc.

I would put Kovalev on a line with Latendresse, who at this point is a complimentary player that has enough skills to play with Kovalev, kind of like AK46 last season. The center should be Lang, who isnt good enough to lead a line all by himself, but has enough skills to play with Kovalev.

Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay
S.Kostitsyn - Plekanec - A.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Lang - Kovalev

Carbo, you can thank me later.
Well said, although you go too far in saying that Plek and Andrei are being wasted. You do, however, have 3 guys who love to carry the puck.

Andrei is better on the right side. Andrei and Sergei play very well together.

My only question... should Plek play with Kovalev or should Lang play with Kovalev? Lats, Lang and Kovy... Lats can finish, Lang can finish and Kovy likes to control the puck... could work if Lats starts playing like a power forward.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I'd still give them another 10 games....

They were among the best lines in the league last year... sure they haven't found a rhythm yet... but we've dealt with 2 long layoffs and an A kost injury already....

They didn't really get going till late november last year.

I'd love to see if they can get their groove together over the next stretch, where they will have time to find a rhythm.
Not even, that line got going after Christmas break, I remember so well...We were close to a .500 team until Christmas break, that line took its stride and we went 30-12-6 to finish the season.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Not even, that line got going after Christmas break, I remember so well...We were close to a .500 team until Christmas break, that line took its stride and we went 30-12-6 to finish the season.
I thought the line got going in late november... but the team didn't get going till after Christmas.

Old
11-10-2008, 09:40 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
You start the revolution on a saturday?!

Dude, had you started this any other day.. I woulda been by your side wtk. I woulda been your lieutenant..

I'd take a bullet for you man!!
Assemble, my lieutenant.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 03:45 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I would like to see them transform Andrei into a center. He has the size and skills that we need.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 04:03 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would like to see them transform Andrei into a center. He has the size and skills that we need.
I'd like to see them make him into a goaltender.

Old
11-11-2008, 04:15 AM
Kosti46

Put A. Kostitsyn on right wing. Put two forwards with him who are good passers and have good speed and he will score 40 goals or more in 3 seasons or less. He can use more of his skills well from the right side.

We have all seen him do it when he comes in from the right side.

Kosti46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Samuelson

PLEASE GET HIM OFF THAT LINE

It's hurting his game

why not try this

Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins
Latendresse-Lang-Kovalev
A.Kost-Plek-S.Kost
Laraque/Dandenault-Lapierre-Kostopulous
(Begin)
Markov-Komi
Hammer-Georges
OB-Bouillon

Price
Halak

?

Samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 08:51 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelson View Post
PLEASE GET HIM OFF THAT LINE

It's hurting his game

why not try this

Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins
Latendresse-Lang-Kovalev
A.Kost-Plek-S.Kost
Laraque/Dandenault-Lapierre-Kostopulous
(Begin)
Markov-Komi
Hammer-Georges
OB-Bouillon

Price
Halak

?
Because your proposed line up has A Kost on LW and Sergei on RW, which is both their wrong wings.

Old
11-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

When it comes down to it the Andrei-Plek-Kovy line was so fantastic last year, they were a freakin machine let's wait till they find their game before doing anything drastic.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:04 PM
BulldogFever

Andrei should be on the right side and he might be when Kovalev goes! I love Kovy but Andrei should play on the right side of Koivu and Tanguay & Higgins, Plekanec and Kovy.
He's a pure sniper.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Lone Rogue

Man, Andrei Kostitsyn has had such a slow start this season.

I wonder when the last time he had one of those. Wasn't he playing on the left wing? Yeah, when was that. Trying to think... for some reason my memory of last season escapes me, but it couldn't have been that early...

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
So is the Andrei RW/put him with Sergei the new "Put Kovalev and Koivu together!!!"? Not based on much, doesn't make that much sense yet people think they know better than the coaching staff? They'll be together eventually, but not now.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Not based on much, doesn't make that much sense yet people think they know better than the coaching staff? They'll be together eventually, but not now.
Get ready to hear a whole slew of "Well Kostistyn scored on the right side here" and "He was more consistent in the AHL" talking points.

Guy scores 26 goals last season on the LW and him and Plekanec both had probably the best NHL second halfs of just about any other player in the NHL, yet people are panicking because its looking more like Andrei and Tomas are late bloom players and not "They were ready to start tearing up at their 08 Second Half pace for the entire next season".

The great thing about a three line offensive attack is you can have the patience for other players to get into the groove and still win games with high scoring players.

Again, just so everyone gets this through their heads, Montreal is only 7 goals from the NHL lead in goal scoring. When your top line from last season is not doing so hot and you're still scoring 47 goals in 13 games, there is nothing to worry about. This Left Line Liberation/Change the 07-08 Top line stuff is more reactionary stuff, and its no surprise that one of the guys starting it is one of the classic Carbo haters

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

I've been clamoring for Carbo to put A.Kost on the RW for 2 years now to no avail (I guess he doesn't read HFBoards enough )...I don't understand why Carbo insists on using him as a LW/net crasher on the PP, when it's clear he's so much more dynamic as RW/puck carrier.

Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-A.Kostitsyn

or

Higgins-Plekanec-Kovalev
Tanguay-Koivu-A.Kostitsyn

Either of the abovementioned line combinations could potentially be lethal. I know we score lots as is, but I also know we can score much more by optimizing the utilization of our resources.

I have a gut feeling that the first combination might work better, because Tanguay is very smart and will likely figure out a way to adapt his game to Kovy's. However, if Koivu and Tanguay want to keep playing together, then the second combination could also work some magic.

N.B.: Just out of curiosity, have we recently had a poll to see how many of us are for/against the dismantling of the A.Kost-Pleks-Kovy line and/or the Left Wing Liberation of A.Kost?

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
I've been clamoring for Carbo to put A.Kost on the RW for 2 years now to no avail (I guess he doesn't read HFBoards enough )...I don't understand why Carbo insists on using him as a LW/net crasher on the PP, when it's clear he's so much more dynamic as RW/puck carrier.

Tanguay-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-A.Kostitsyn

or

Higgins-Plekanec-Kovalev
Tanguay-Koivu-A.Kostitsyn

Either of the abovementioned line combinations could potentially be lethal. I know we score lots as is, but I also know we can score much more by optimizing the utilization of our resources.

I have a gut feeling that the first combination might work better, because Tanguay is very smart and will likely figure out a way to adapt his game to Kovy's. However, if Koivu and Tanguay want to keep playing together, then the second combination could also work some magic.

N.B.: Just out of curiosity, have we recently had a poll to see how many of us are for/against the dismantling of the A.Kost-Pleks-Kovy line and/or the Left Wing Liberation of A.Kost?
I think putting Tanguay on the wing with Kovalev just recreates the same problem; and I see no reason to break up the Tanguay/Koivu chemistry.
Again I would give the ATAK line more time, but if it remains clear that it wont work I'd go with

Lats/Higgins - Pleks - Kovalev
L/H - Koivu - Tanguay
Sergei - Lang - Andrei

Old
11-12-2008, 05:08 PM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
Include me in the group that want to see the brothers play together regularly. I understand them not playing together last year with the way Kovalev's line was producing, but I don't see why not this year. From what we've seen them do together in brief stints, I think there is something there to at least explore for a handful of games.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:03 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

At least it could be tried on the PP, ya know?