HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Laraque too much of a nice guy?

Old
11-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Lone Rogue

vCash: 500
A better question should be, did less people run Crosby with Laraque on the Pens?

If the answer is yes, then Laraque ain't so bad.

I sure haven't seen anyone being cheap to Koivu in a while, and the only way people are playing against Kovalev is tight, nothing cheap.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
le_sean

Too bad the Habs couldn't offer Chris Simon a one game contract to take care of Ruutu.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:18 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
You can't prove that deterrence works.
The fact that there hasn't been a nuclear holocaust is pretty good proof.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:37 AM
RC51

Just remember well exactly what happened during a few of those scrums tonight.

The Sens needed to change things, put the Habs off their current game, so yeah they tried to have a few scrums with a bunch of face washes but look carefully at who was doing what.
Rutuu and Neil doing much of the scrum but Big George would simply put himself right in front of either one of them and quickly Rutuu or Niel would instantly turn towards Komi to try and get him to drop them. SO I say, yes Big George did exactly what Carbo wanted, not drop first but oversee the play like a cop, just waiting to correct anybody and over all Big George kept Rutuu and Neil in check.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
A better question should be, did less people run Crosby with Laraque on the Pens?

If the answer is yes, then Laraque ain't so bad.

I sure haven't seen anyone being cheap to Koivu in a while, and the only way people are playing against Kovalev is tight, nothing cheap.
well, I distinctly remember Pens fans raving about how people took less liberties with Crosby right after they got Laraque. Now they all say he didn't do a proper job as an enforcer, so who knows...

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 06:30 AM
rocketlives

George Laraque's usefulness should have a real test against the Bruins tomorrow night. The Bruins always play a chippy game and we all know how Claude Julien likes to goon it up to change the momentum in his team's favor. They have 3 players who are well within George's size criteria: Chara, Thornton and Lucic. It promises to be quite a game and I wouldn't want to miss it.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
well, I distinctly remember Pens fans raving about how people took less liberties with Crosby right after they got Laraque. Now they all say he didn't do a proper job as an enforcer, so who knows...
Malkin also got a way with a *lot* which never got any attention paid to it until the playoffs. I'd say Laraque had a part in that.

Do people really think that a Hab wasn't run down against Toronto after the Kostopolous hit wasn't because of Georges? Georges is there to prevent what happened in New York where Montreal and NY was going tit for tat with cheap shots. Things like that won't escalate anymore. Carey was getting run a few times against the Leafs, but he was getting run by 170lb bodies. He's a big kid and I'm sure the weight of him on the Leaf (even after his weight loss) was just as good retaliation.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:28 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
George Laraque's usefulness should have a real test against the Bruins tomorrow night. The Bruins always play a chippy game and we all know how Claude Julien likes to goon it up to change the momentum in his team's favor. They have 3 players who are well within George's size criteria: Chara, Thornton and Lucic. It promises to be quite a game and I wouldn't want to miss it.

Lucy is not in his class at all and will NOT drop the gloves with BGL.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:36 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Lucic is 6'4" 225lbs and he's a loose cannon out there taking aim at our best players. In last Spring's playoffs he took Komi out of the playoffs for several games. I know he doesn't want to mix it up with George but if he goes after Koivu or Kovy, George will have to go after him and the 2-minute instigator penalty will be well worth it.

Old
11-12-2008, 07:38 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I was gonna say, he barely even had words with any of the Habs tonight. I was expecting something cheap and dirty. Laraque's presence kept his ugly little mouth shut.
Maybe Neil kept his mouth shut because he finally realized what an idiot he looks like with no front teeth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
I think rocketlives was referring to the fact that they're close enough in size that if Lucic wanted to go, Georges would probably accept. Ability-wise, you're right, Lucic would be an idiot to drop with Georges and I'm sure Julien and his teammates have advised against that.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:41 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Maybe Neil kept his mouth shut because he finally realized what an idiot he looks like with no front teeth?

I think rocketlives was referring to the fact that they're close in size. Ability-wise, you're right, Lucic would be an idiot to drop with Georges and I'm sure Julien and his teammates have advised against that.
Yep, size does not make a fighter better. He is NOT in BGL's class.( the best example is Komi, big guy can't fight vey well ) Lucy would get thrown around like a rag doll. You are right about Julien telling him not to scrap with BGL.

Old
11-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Malkin also got a way with a *lot* which never got any attention paid to it until the playoffs. I'd say Laraque had a part in that.

Do people really think that a Hab wasn't run down against Toronto after the Kostopolous hit wasn't because of Georges? Georges is there to prevent what happened in New York where Montreal and NY was going tit for tat with cheap shots. Things like that won't escalate anymore. Carey was getting run a few times against the Leafs, but he was getting run by 170lb bodies. He's a big kid and I'm sure the weight of him on the Leaf (even after his weight loss) was just as good retaliation.
Of course people believe it, hence the "is BGL too nice?" thread. Some people wanted an enforcer after Mats Sundin punched Markov in OT last year. They actually thought a BGL would be able to prevent it.

Some peoples ask for the moon.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:55 AM
kenmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
It seems a lot of people are upset that Ruuttu went head hunting after Lapierre with his elbow.

I don't get something, though. Isn't the mere PRESENCE of Georges Laraque supposed to "prevent" this type of thing?
More like stopping Neil from running Kovalev like the last two years.

kenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The day that Laraque will show that if you attack our guys, I'll do the same to yours....then he'll have a better impact that he's having right now. Though like Beaker said, Neil was fairly quiet yesterday. So clearly, George might have an impact on those fighters that might not want to face George. He might not have an impact on guys that George himself said he wouldn't take 'cause they're not real goons, like Ruutu. I think that George could go out and say that in some cases, he's open to make some exceptions.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:54 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
A good example of BGL's usefulness was the game against Pheonix. In the second period the Yotes were trying to stir trouble up and change the momentum. BGL took a few roughing penalties while seeking someone out and then got one fight. After that they were real quiet and the Habs got an easy third period.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:10 AM
rocketlives

The bottom line is George has to be more than a sideshow fighting only the other teams' heavyweights. He also has to be an enforcer. I'm not saying he should go after featherweights like Grabovski but any guy over 6' 200lbs who steps out of line should be fair game for him.

Old
11-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Darz

George Laraque's real value to the habs will come in the playoffs.

11-12-2008, 09:28 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
The bottom line is George has to be more than a sideshow fighting only the other teams' heavyweights. He also has to be an enforcer. I'm not saying he should go after featherweights like Grabovski but any guy over 6' 200lbs who steps out of line should be fair game for him.
and the penalties he will be taking doing this (ever hear of the instigator?), you think Carbs will be pleased ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Absolutely...well said.

Old
11-12-2008, 09:43 AM
neofury*

Did anyone else find that neil was a big P###Y tonight? It's funny, I've never seen him actually take on a real fighter/top fighter/guy bigger then him. Neil is just a bully who is too afraid to even fight laraque.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:43 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
plus one

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
A good example of BGL's usefulness was the game against Pheonix. In the second period the Yotes were trying to stir trouble up and change the momentum. BGL took a few roughing penalties while seeking someone out and then got one fight. After that they were real quiet and the Habs got an easy third period.
But this was an exception: the Phoenix D brutalised one of our player. Literaly. And then after the game George said something like:"should I have fought this guy? It's ridiculous he's way too small". And this when that guy was actualy 6 foot 4. Someone should tell BGL to stop acting like a teddy bear.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:50 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Chris Neil did nothing tonight, there's your answer on Laraque's impact.
Exactly. This was telling on one play I recall.....there was a scrum around the Sens net....one of our guys took a good shot at one of their guys....a situation in which Neil usually asserted himself all tough and such. Instead, he had that scared girl look with Laraques in the mix. It was quite noticable to me...and in general, Neil wasn't his usual assertive self (especially around our crease).

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
But this was an exception: the Phoenix D brutalised one of our player. Literaly. And then after the game George said something like:"should I have fought this guy? It's ridiculous he's way too small". And this when that guy was actualy 6 foot 4. Someone should tell BGL to stop acting like a teddy bear.
I remember him saying that the guy wouldn't fight him and that that was normal. BGL went looking for him a few times but the guy hid behind the refs and his team mates. Still BGL's presence was felt and it got quiet, which is precisely what he is there for.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
I remember him saying that the guy wouldn't fight him and that that was normal. BGL went looking for him a few times but the guy hid behind the refs and his team mates. Still BGL's presence was felt and it got quiet, which is precisely what he is there for.
BGL precisely said after the game:"should I fight him? he's no heavyweight". Meaning he could have found a way to fight him but he didn't want to. The guy was 6 foot 4.

I think that's where the problem of the instigator rule comes into play. If Laraque would have dropped the glove and that guy would have turtled or something like that it's George and the Habs that would have been punished with the extra penalty.

Old
11-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Also that same D fought Kostopoulos and it was almost not fair because he was too big for him. If he was too much of a threat for Kosto, wouldn't BGL been able to fight him?