HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O'Byrne

Old
11-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 And Counting View Post
He had a terrible first period and an okay 2nd and 3rd.

I still think he stinks.
I suppose you prefer the defensive stud Brisebois

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Kalcon

Whatever about O'Byrne, Josh Georges continues to impress.
He's so calm and cool back there and doesn't panic under pressure.
He always seems to make each play with poise and purpose. Nothing flashy. Just makes smart decisions with ease. Habs sure stole one from the Sharks there.
He's definetly one of the unsung heros on this team.

Kalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

He's young. He'll play a good game and then a not-so-good one. And within a game, he'll have better periods than others. But then I think that we shouldn't expect for him to be an incredible d-man. As young as he is, he does have his own ceiling. Seems to me that at one point he'll reach it considering the hockey sense that he has.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Toro

weeeeee anothe O'byrne thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=568386

He did have a good game so...in before it gets merged..

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
Whatever about O'Byrne, Josh Georges continues to impress.
He's so calm and cool back there and doesn't panic under pressure.
He always seems to make each play with poise and purpose. Nothing flashy. Just makes smart decisions with ease. Habs sure stole one from the Sharks there.
He's definetly one of the unsung heros on this team.
i agree except that play where he chased a loose puck on a 2 on 1 and got owned. The puck got chipped to an open Heatley for a break away but he couldn't put the puck in.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Habitants

yeah he played pretty solid, he looked more confident, and made some nice breakout passes. Hopefully he continues to find his form.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
Well he took another stupid time wasting penalty when it was 1-0, it could have turned the game around, but he played a solid game for the rest of it.
Hamrlik has taken many a "stupid" penalty like that.

Quote:

He had a terrible first period and an okay 2nd and 3rd.

I still think he stinks.
That's much too harsh both for this game and for your "stinks" remark.

Last edited by Corey: 11-12-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:03 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
What I've noticed so far of O'Byrne is he seems hesitant between playing the man, or playing the puck. He has a very long reach, so playing the puck might have been more his game, but when he decides to check a guy in the boards WOW. So as soon as he figures if he'll be a hitter like Komi or just use his long reach to break up plays, he'll be more solid.

Last night he did both at the right times, but seemed to lean more into solid checks. It's more punishing and funner to watch for us fans

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Kalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
i agree except that play where he chased a loose puck on a 2 on 1 and got owned. The puck got chipped to an open Heatley for a break away but he couldn't put the puck in.
Yes but the good thing about Georges is that he'll learn from that mistake...he's still developing and we have to expect a few poor decisions from time to time (as with O'Byrne)...its part of the learning process.
Its a testament to his play when we can only find one mistake to talk about!

Kalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:48 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
Thought he played a very solid game tonight. Played with a real sense of purpose, hitting guys, shooting on net, and not backing too deep into defensive zone/standing guys up near the blueline. Great to see Carbo show so much confidence in him in the 3rd. He needed a confidence-boosting game.
obyrne

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
BlackMarvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
obyrne
I really don't know what's wrong with the kid cause he has all the tools to suceed at this level. Maybe its just in his head...

BlackMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Darz

Young defensemen are going to go through some rough patches along the road of development, and I see that in O'Byrne.

I believe the tools are there, and at some point this year we will all see an improvement.

This is when good coaching (by coaches and teammates alike) needs to come into play.

11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I'm for O'Byrn succeding, he's a big mobile guy who NEEDS to hit. I think that we should ply him often so he gets confidence and experience and we can see if he can be our 4th D at trade deadline or if we shall porsue another guy.

In the first period i was looking at Alexandre Picard and wished that O'Byrne would play just like him, solid decision, good passes, throwing players off the puck. Then Picard was going down and O'Byrne was playing better than him, doing excactly what Picard was doing in the first perdiod, except on his Heatley breakaway, but Price did what Auld couldn't do when Picard gave a breakaway to Higgins.
fixed, O'byrne forgest very often that he's 6'6 and over 230 pounds, if he wants a spot with the Habs he needs to start crushing forwards, we're too good of a team to just have depth, players need purposes on the team to play. He his to start hitting more consistency. I think he also needs to drop em more often, especially when someone goes after Price, he has to react alot more meaner imo

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:36 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMarvel View Post
I really don't know what's wrong with the kid cause he has all the tools to suceed at this level. Maybe its just in his head...
Lack of experience at the nhl level, he's a work in progress, will take a few years to get there imo. Wait till he's closer to 200 NHL games instead of 43. He's got to be more physical though, that's what he's been at every level up to the nhl but I think he needs to get more confidence and hopefully once he does he'll be that physical force he's been in the NCAA and AHL.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:44 AM
gillyguzzler

I watched the game on TSN and Mcguire was very complimentary towards OB. I'm sick of Benoit Brunet on RDS always critisizing OB, no matter how he plays. I hope he wasn't as critical yesterday as OB was solid.

Yesterday, OB could play his physical game more because (as wasn't the case in TO), he was getting tremendous support from the forwards. He could take the man and a guy like Plek and Koivu were right there to support and pick up the puck. OB needs this support and has to trust his forwards that it will happen.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote