HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Jordan Staal Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
trooper66

vCash: 500
Because he will be a two way power forward, something we will need, thats just my opinion of course.

Old
11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
The time for that decision to be made is far from now.

The right course is to let him play out the year and (knock on wood) through a lengthy playoffs, and then work from there. His post-season play is a huge plus, and if it does end up that he would rather take on a larger role elsewhere, it's unlikely that any team willing to shell out big for him would be a playoff team in any hurry to get it done before the end of the season.

Keep him through June, and then either sign him for a reasonable amount or deal him for a nice return - seems pretty cut-and-dried to me. That's unless an offer comes out of left field and blows us away, but in no way should we be actively listening to offers now.
That most likely will be the scenario.

Unless Staal's agent makes it clear to Shero that the numbers are just not going to work here, and Shero decides he doesn't want draft picks in return.

But yeah, I believe it will play out as you posted.

Old
11-11-2008, 11:58 PM
ncredible

I'd think that Staal would be moved out with Gonchar or at least an attempt to clear up space. You know the whole get rid of a bad contract with a really good one?
Besides couldn't a team waive Gonchar or put him in the minors if they chose to clear up that $$$?

Old
11-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredible View Post
I'd think that Staal would be moved out with Gonchar or at least an attempt to clear up space. You know the whole get rid of a bad contract with a really good one?
Besides couldn't a team waive Gonchar or put him in the minors if they chose to clear up that $$$?

What? Who has the bad contract? Why would a team waive one of the best defenders in the league? Gonchar has a NTC too...

Gonchar and Staal should land a guy like Brent Burns+. Not quite sure what ur getting at here.

Old
11-12-2008, 12:11 AM
GernerPSU

Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
Quote:
Did you just say that Gonchar has a bad contract?

I'm just dumbfounded...

Old
11-12-2008, 07:47 AM
NastyNick

maybe we can trade Staal at the deadline to Detroit for Hossa. After last night i am sure they'd want him.

/kidding... of course

Old
11-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

The better Jordan plays, the more money it is going to take for a team to pry him away via the offer sheet...and the more draft picks we'd get in return. It's all good.

I'm sure teams will keep asking for Jordan in trade talks but I think Shero will look elsewhere. He knows he has defensive depth to deal, and I think that's where he will focus his attention.

Old
11-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
That most likely will be the scenario.

Unless Staal's agent makes it clear to Shero that the numbers are just not going to work here, and Shero decides he doesn't want draft picks in return.

But yeah, I believe it will play out as you posted.
There's always the possibility that a deal could be made before the RFA season begins. If it were to come right down to Staal not having a place here for whatever reason, I'm sure Shero would have suitors lined up to make a proposal of more than draft picks before anyone had time to draw up an offer sheet.

Old
11-12-2008, 02:42 PM
pensown

If everyone wants to keep Staal well there you go.

Whitney, Satan, Fedetenko, Dupuis, 3rd for Kovalchuk

Sign Shanahan

Shanahan-Crosby-Malkin
Kovalchuk-Staal-Sykora
Cooke-Zigomanis-Kennedy
Minard-Talbot-Godard

hahaha

Staal shouldnt have that much trouble with those wingers.

Old
11-12-2008, 07:14 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
GONCHAR!!!=bad contract? How do you come to that conclusion? Why don't you go and look at all the dmen that are getting paid $5 million or more a year and then come back and tell us why you think Gonchar is overpaid. I believe he is one of the top 5 dmen in the game and I don't think anyone will argue top 10. Gonchar is a bargain for $5 million a year. Would you rather have Redden at $6.5 million or Rozsival at $5 million of the Rangers? Would you rather have Timonen for $6.33 million a year of the Flyers? Maybe you would rather have Visnovsky at $5.6 million or Souray at $5.4 million of the Oilers? Are you starting to get the picture?

If we trade Staal it will be because Shero gets an offer that he believes makes this team better for now and the future. To me it all comes down to whether Shero believes Staal will become that franchise type center many projected he would become when he was drafted and after his rookie season. If he believes that then he should keep him. When you can build your top 3 lines around Crosby, Malkin, and a Staal that becomes a franchise type center then you could just role 3 lines with equal ice time and use those 3 on the top PP to give all 3 the minutes they would want. The great thing about having those type of players is you don't need to have high priced players on their lines. Staal is not there yet but if Shero believes he will be than I say keep him. Crosby, Malkin, and Staal all play a good two way game which allows them to be matched against any line. To me you could just get one Sykora/Satan money type linemate for each and a cheap option on the off wing such as a young prospect type that is still cheap (like Kennedy and Talbot are now).

Honestly I believe being strong down the middle wins championships. Great centers, great goalie, and 4 good dmen is really all you need to have a multiple cup team. Crosby and Malkin have proven that they can produce even with less than ideal linemates and they are doing that while not near their prime. If Staal's offense gets near his defensive play this team will be hard to beat as those 3 centers, Fleury, Whitney, Letang, Goligoski, and Orpik are all near or at their primes in a few years. If Staal is the real deal then I think all the pieces to a cup team are here now and just need time to mature. The wingers will come and go and so will the bottom pairing type dmen over the years but you can build your team around Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Letang, Whitney, Orpik, and Goligoski for the next 10 years. Gonchar's contract is perfect because we have him for one more year and after next year I think all 4 of those other dmen will be top 4 type dmen or better.

Old
11-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Huh.

Old
11-12-2008, 07:26 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensown View Post

Sign Shanahan

Shanahan-Crosby-Malkin
Kovalchuk-Staal-Sykora
Cooke-Zigomanis-Kennedy
Minard-Talbot-Godard

hahaha

I am so glad you are not the GM, or the coach.

First, we don't NEED that 1 dimentional player.
Second, those lines are horrible....

Kovalchuk-Crosby-Talbot/Kennedy
Shanny-Malkin-Sykora
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy/Talbot
Biz-Ziggy-Godard

Third, you would screw this team trading BOTH Fedotenko, AND Satan when it comes to the off season.

Fourth, why the hell would Atlanta want that in return for Kovalchuk?

Old
11-12-2008, 08:27 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensown View Post

Sign Shanahan

Shanahan-Crosby-Malkin
Kovalchuk-Staal-Sykora
Cooke-Zigomanis-Kennedy
Minard-Talbot-Godard

hahaha

22 posts and I think it's safe to say that 15 of them are spent conjuring up ways to get Kovalchuk in a Pens uni. Don't have the peices or the salary to pull that one off.

Old
11-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

I love rookie posts... good times.

But seriously, the game with Staal is pretty simple for Shero: if he continues on a tear and is posting good numbers through the holidays and into January, it would be smarter to sign him early. The danger is letting him go nuts for a full season then he comes back and says "I'm no #3 center and I just proved it, I want to Center the 2nd line for $6M a season Ray" (paraphrasing, naturally) ...

The other danger with letting him go unsigned until summer is that drawn out negotiations (no matter how his season turns out) could end in a stalemate and him getting signed somewhere else. Would be surprised if Ray doesn't sign him in the second half of the year to a 1-3 year deal. I don't with out salary structure he can afford to do a long term deal with Staal unless his asking price is a lot lower than I think it will be. If the asking price is too high, would not be shocked to see him in a trade but it's anybody's guess for who (no, not Kovulchuk).

Old
11-13-2008, 09:39 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
I love rookie posts... good times.

But seriously, the game with Staal is pretty simple for Shero: if he continues on a tear and is posting good numbers through the holidays and into January, it would be smarter to sign him early. The danger is letting him go nuts for a full season then he comes back and says "I'm no #3 center and I just proved it, I want to Center the 2nd line for $6M a season Ray" (paraphrasing, naturally) ...

The other danger with letting him go unsigned until summer is that drawn out negotiations (no matter how his season turns out) could end in a stalemate and him getting signed somewhere else. Would be surprised if Ray doesn't sign him in the second half of the year to a 1-3 year deal. I don't with out salary structure he can afford to do a long term deal with Staal unless his asking price is a lot lower than I think it will be. If the asking price is too high, would not be shocked to see him in a trade but it's anybody's guess for who (no, not Kovulchuk).
For what its worth Madden asked Staal if anything was happening with negotiations right now and what his thoughts were on next year and Staal said he wants to stay here and thinks things will get figured out. Of course I can't imagine he'd say he was hoping to sign elsewhere at this point in time even if that's how he feels because it wouldn't help him or the team out in any way.

I just hope he plays with similar fire now that he's gotten his mojo back and we can just enjoy the ride this year!

Old
11-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
For what its worth Madden asked Staal if anything was happening with negotiations right now and what his thoughts were on next year and Staal said he wants to stay here and thinks things will get figured out. Of course I can't imagine he'd say he was hoping to sign elsewhere at this point in time even if that's how he feels because it wouldn't help him or the team out in any way.

I just hope he plays with similar fire now that he's gotten his mojo back and we can just enjoy the ride this year!
Somebody in the Staal camp needs to point out the Dustin Penner debacle to him, if he doesn't see it for himself. Penner thought he was a budding young player going to a better situation for himself so he took the money and ran to Edmonton. It hurt Anaheim, for sure, but it hurt Dustin Penner way more in the end.

Anyways, if Staal continues to play with the sense of urgency he showed in Detroit, I don't think it would take much for Shero to commit to him long term. We have a lot of expiring contracts this off-season, which helps. As for the winger situation, maybe instead of hitting the home run we look towards the future by seeking out cheap young talent instead.

Old
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Just a thought. Crosby and Malkin are both huge, huge draws. Splitting them up might create more overall revenue for the league.

Old
11-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletoe View Post
Just a thought. Crosby and Malkin are both huge, huge draws. Splitting them up might create more overall revenue for the league.
Stupid thought.

Old
11-13-2008, 10:29 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
Stupid thought.
Best response.

Old
11-13-2008, 11:28 AM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Its not the Pens job or Shero's to helping the overall revenue for the league. Shero's job is to keep as much talent as he can given the salary cap. Crosby and Malkin along with Fleury are a great way to build a team. Look at most of the great teams of the past and they all have the same make up. Edmonton Gretz and Mess as top two centers and Fuhr as goalie all top 5 type guys for their positions. Ave's had Forsberg and Sakic and Roy as their goalie all top 5 guys for their positions. The Pens had Mario and Francis and Barasso as their goalie which was a pretty strong group to build around. Of course you need more than 3 guys to win a cup but I believe if you have studs at those 3 spots it makes it much easier to build a championship team. A stud goalie can make a below average team a playoff team by himself. Hasek did it for years with many sub par Sabres teams. Also a stud goalie can make an average team very good like the Devils. Without Marty over the last 10 years that team would have 10 less wins a year. Add to a great goalie with two franchise centers and now you are talking Cup challengers with just normal talent around them. As Crosby, Malkin, and Fleury reach their primes they will win many games by themselves.

Old
11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Hmmmm

Old
11-13-2008, 12:07 PM
diligent_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
Stupid thought.
Well played.

Old
11-13-2008, 12:13 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post

I don't deny that Staal wants to stay here for the long haul. He realizes that this is his best chance to put ring on his finger with a bunch of guys who are the same age as he is. Opportunites to grow with a group of players of the caliber the Pens have is rare. If I were in his situation, I would see it as me getting paid, being in the best position to win, getting recognition and respect, but not being relied on as "the man."

Old
11-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Tek_Jansen

Send a message via AIM to Tek_Jansen
Quote:

Old
11-13-2008, 12:20 PM
pensown

If noone thinks we can resign staal due to his high asking price.

How about

Jason Blake(High Contract, has been a healthy scratch, close to negative value)
Nik Antropov(UFA)
Luke Schenn

For

Jordan Staal(RFA)
Ruslan Fedtenko(UFA)
Pascal Dupuis
2nd

Antropov would look great at LW on Malkins line. Blake can become his old self with Crosby and if he doesnt you could restructure his contract or drop him. Schenn would make our defense young, cheap and better than what it is.

We would take on more cap but take out part of Gonchars and it fits.

Does anyone think we could resign Antropov for 5 years at 3-3.25 a year?

Closed Thread