HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruutu suspended 2 games

Old
11-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I just re-watched it on Youtube & holy crap, I can't believe how fast Ruutu skated from Laraque. He literally ran for dear life!

Haven't seen something like that since Domi ran from McCarthy.

Congrats to the NHL on dropping both testes into the pouch.
Didn't notice that the first time around.

I imagine if Bouillon weren't there he'd have gone up to the blues.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Habitant#1

vCash: 500
I just saw the video again.

It's true! Ruutu skates like the wind away form laraque! Laraque heads for Ruutu, but Lapierre is down on the ice at his feet and he can't get to Ruutu before he skates straight to Bouillon.

You can even see the exact moment Ruutu looks up, sees Laraque and then bolts for Bouillon. It's hilarious.

Habitant#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:41 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Wow! NHL did something sort of right for a change. I still think this was worse than TK's hit on MVR but it is a step in the right direction.

I like how Laps game is progressing this year, and to call him dirty is an overstatement. Yes he is a pest but he is no Avery or Ruutu. I laughed at Pierre last night on TSN bashing him the whole game and then with a minute to go he had to comment on how effective Max was and how he did a lot of good things for the team that night. Pierre can be such a ladies feminine hygiene product sometimes.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Are you all ready for some brillant comments like...."Here we go, another proof that the league wants to favour Montreal" and all that BS.....
How does this favour the habs??? I think it would favour the team that Ottawa faces over the next two games...the New York Islanders!!!

...more proof the league favours the New York Islanders!!!!

11-12-2008, 02:50 PM
la25ecoupe

Would you have prefered for Larack to fight Ruutu instead of Bouillon?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:53 PM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I am glad to see Ruutu suspended. I'll accept what was handed out for that cheapshot, because I didn't expect the NHL to do anything. I am surprised that the league hasn't suspended Ruuto before this, since he's been a cheapshot "artist" for all of his career.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:55 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Would you have prefered for Larack to fight Ruutu instead of Bouillon?
His name is spelled Laraque, out of respect for our Habs try to get it right..and to answer your question, hell ya screw that **** up bad !!!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:57 PM
ginosniper

Well deserved suspension. Good on the NHL for handing it out even though a major wasn't called and no injury resulted. If they had swept this under the rug, the next guy might not have been so lucky that tasted Ruutu's elbow. The intent was there and thankfully that was enought to suspend this coward.

The only problem I have with this suspension (and that of Tom), is how come Randy Jones only got 2 games? I feel the suspensions to Tom and Ruutu are deserved and of good length, but I can't help but feel Jones got off lucky.

ginosniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginosniper View Post
Well deserved suspension. Good on the NHL for handing it out even though a major wasn't called and no injury resulted. If they had swept this under the rug, the next guy might not have been so lucky that tasted Ruutu's elbow. The intent was there and thankfully that was enought to suspend this coward.

The only problem I have with this suspension (and that of Tom), is how come Randy Jones only got 2 games? I feel the suspensions to Tom and Ruutu are deserved and of good length, but I can't help but feel Jones got off lucky.
The only reason Jones got off lucky was because his foul was committed last year.

Like you I applaud the league for getting it right and punishing the intent of the act. However, the evolution of supplementary discipline is a process which will take time, it will be some time before they can consistently apply the new standards.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:11 PM
smon

Good for the NHL. If this is the start of a much-needed crackdown on dirty play, then so be it.

"Like I said, I had no intention to do it, but accidents will happen and I'll have to deal with the consequences."

Oh, so in the alternate universe of Ruutu, he mistakenly targeted Lapierre's head? To paraphrase Forrest Gump, stupid is as stupid does and Ruutu is as Ruutu does.

I fail to see how his doing that helped his team in the slightest bit at all. It'll make for an interesting rematch, I guess. And it'll be less exciting than we think since Neil and Ruutu will just run from Laraque.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Can't you figure this one out by yourself?..

It's like that fat ****** Jean-Charles on 110%..that disses Laraque from the beginning of the season.
Even before the season started, he was dissing him on the radio for missing the Golf Tournament. Laraque called him during the show to tell him to shut his fat yap (in other words..).

If you look at the play again, Ruutu hits Lappy, Laraque turns around to go after him but Bouillon already jumped on him.
Then this JC, says, well there's Neil, Fight him!..
What a moron.

Laraque is not an idiot, he's not going to fight somebody that's unwilling to fight. Neil turned him down, Ruutu turned him down.
If he decides to still do it, he'll get a 2 for instigating, 5 fighting and a 10 for misconduct.
Carbo has been preaching discipline since the beginning of the season.

I just don't get some people, they think Laraque is supposed to be Rambo.
Well hockey fighting is not boxing: you shouldn't have to wait to see if your opponant is ready and wait for the "OK" from the ref to go at it. George shouldn't choose opponants, he shouldn't wait for the perfect time. Because if he does he'll be useless. He'll have guys laughing in his face and fighting the small guys and nothing will get done.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Well hockey fighting is not boxing: you shouldn't have to wait to see if your opponant is ready and wait for the "OK" from the ref to go at it. George shouldn't choose opponants, he shouldn't wait for the perfect time. Because if he does he'll be useless. He'll have guys laughing in his face and fighting the small guys and nothing will get done.
I'm pretty sure I didn't see Ruutu laughing as he ran from Laraque...I also didn't see Neil laughing in 2 or 3 scrums after the whistle.

Why on earth would they laugh when they were completely useless last night against the Habs? You do realize why they were useless last night...right?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 04:30 PM
totalrecall

It really made me sad how some of sen fans cheared for Ruutu hit on their boards.

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Bluebillion

I think Ruutu should have been suspended for atleast 3-4 games.
He elbowed Lappierre which was obvious and he showed off like it was a good thing.

Bluebillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebillion View Post
He elbowed Lappierre which was obvious and he showed off like it was a good thing.
thw saluting of the crowd was in the 3rd period oposed to the hit which was in the 2nd, the two were not related.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Volt

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebillion View Post
It was a good thing. All Lappierre does is go around cheap shoting people and talking **** but then he never drops the gloves. Biggest coward ever, at least Ruutu stands up and fight.

Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
It was a good thing. All Lappierre does is go around cheap shoting people and talking **** but then he never drops the gloves. Biggest coward ever, at least Ruutu stands up and fight.
care to explain how skating like crazy to the smallest guy on the ice is standing up ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Volt

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
care to explain how skating like crazy to the smallest guy on the ice is standing up ?
Boullion went after him so whats Ruutu supposed to do, just stand there and say "Yes please try to kick my ass"???

Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:30 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Wow, just wow.

Here you say that the league's known fighters should choose who to pick on and when, and should show less restraint than they do now, and in the other threads you say you ALSO want to drop the penalty for instigating?????

Do you think the situation in the mid 70s, when Dave Shultz and Don Saleski instigated with and beat up anyone they chose was fine?

One more time: fighting is against the rules. People have a RIGHT not to have to fight. Instigators of fights with people who do not want to fight should be PENALIZED.

Cheap shots are also against the rules. The proper response is for the referee to assess the right penalties. If necessary, supplementary discipline is for the league to hand out.

Sometimes, the referees miss the gesture or understimate its severity. The league will usually still proceed to discipline if it deems it warranted (example Ruuttu suspension even though the penalty was 2-minute minor).

I understand that boys will be boys. I understand that sometimes, a teammate of someone who was hit by a cheap shot will take it upon himself to exact revenge.

I really do understand it. But it should still be punished as a separate incident.

If the avengers are not subject to punishment, then the league is turning over the administration of justice to the guy with the biggest fists. This is simply not acceptable and no league should do that.

Justice is best meted out by independent, impartial parties (referee). Severe penalties are best meted out after a hearing (league official). Justice cannot EVER be obtained by special empowerment of the instinctive reactions of involved, emotionally charged parties and their friends and families.

Some guys say, "you screw my gf, I will fight you".

Others, more goonish, might say "you look at my gf the wrong way I will kill you."

What's the standard? When should the District Attorney intervene? I say we need objective criteria and impartial decision makers. Do you?

Who should run the National Hockey League, Colin Campbell and the staff of referees, or Todd Bertuzzi?

Let me remind you, Bertuzzi was upset that Steve Moore had cranked Markus Naslund with an open ice hit. The league reviewed the incident and decided that Moore's hit was not worthy of suspension. Bertuzzi decided that he was going to take matters in his own hands anyway. "No one hits our captain that way with a cheap shot."

So Todd Bertuzzi instigated a fight with Steve Moore.

Are you happy? Are you still willing to say that there should be no penalty for instigating?

I'm actually less radical than you are. I'm saying that sometimes, it is understandable and maybe even EXPECTED for someone to instigate an altercation with another player. But he should expect to be punished for it (extra two minutes in most cases), and punished severely if he goes very far over the line (long suspension for Bertuzzi).

THERE CAN BE NO FREE PASSES in a properly run league. I hope by now folks understand why.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:39 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
thw saluting of the crowd was in the 3rd period oposed to the hit which was in the 2nd, the two were not related.
HUH ? Did you miss the game last night because everything happened in the 3rd.

Everything was related, besides the fact Ruutu was trying to get kicked out so he wouldn't have to face BGL, that was obvious.

3e Période
Ottawa 2:05 Assaut (2min) J.Ruutu
Ottawa 2:05 Bataille (5min) J.Ruutu
Montréal 2:05 Bataille (5min) F.Bouillon
Ottawa 12:05 Inconduite (10min) J.Ruutu
Montréal 13:08 Avoir retenu (2min) M.Komisarek

Old
11-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
HUH ? Did you miss the game last night because everything happened in the 3rd.

Everything was related, besides the fact Ruutu was trying to get kicked out so he wouldn't have to face BGL, that was obvious.

3e Période
Ottawa 2:05 Assaut (2min) J.Ruutu
Ottawa 2:05 Bataille (5min) J.Ruutu
Montréal 2:05 Bataille (5min) F.Bouillon
Ottawa 12:05 Inconduite (10min) J.Ruutu
Montréal 13:08 Avoir retenu (2min) M.Komisarek

ok, to many beers.

but they were still different incidents.
Ruutu saluted the crowd 10 minutes after the elbow. NOT RELATED

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:50 PM

I think Ruutu not feeling sorry at all for the hit, saluting the crowd and saying something to the Habs bench to get ejected didn't help him at all with the suspension.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
I still think it's ridiculous how they only give him two games simply because Lappy isn't out for a month. By intent alone, this should've been a minimum of 5 games. It's pathetic...
I agree, again the NHL is basing it's punishment on the result of the act rather then the act itself.
If looked at closely which I'm sure it was, Ruuttu a zero intention of playing the puck and clearly lifted the elbow aiming for the head. That's attempt to injure, it's deliberate.

What Kostopoulos did was definitely a suspend-able act a was punished accordingly but there was never any intent or pre meditation to injure VanRyn.

I'm quite confident when I say Ruuttu is not even thinking about this right now and would not even call to see how the player would be doing if he was injured.

NHL missed this one again, could have set the tone by giving him at least 5

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:58 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
ok, to many beers.

but they were still different incidents.
Ruutu saluted the crowd 10 minutes after the elbow. NOT RELATED
How can you keep saying they are not related ? It was obvious he didnt want to have to face his punishment knowing the Habs were going to win, and the fact that BGL could afford to take an instigator, and would have laid a beat down on that finnish punk.

Old
11-12-2008, 06:09 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Lapierre is definately going to go after Ruutu's head/knees now... Just the way he's talked to him (just saw it on TSN), I doubt he'll forget anytime soon...

Can't wait for next week... We really are starting to build some rivalities...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote