HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Price's first shutout of the year!!

Old
11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Hey Beaker !! You know how i hate Dandy personally, but i give him big time props for last night. If he would play with his speed like this all the time i might not knock him so much....i said might...
He played a great game, I thought.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
I almost choked on my coffee reading the Spartans GDT...

Some dude called BGL, Laraque Obama.

Something else a Sens steals from a Habs fan, i came out with this during the Halloween photoshop post.. Obamas body and BGLs face and called him Laraque Obama

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:35 PM
AH

Quote:
Something else a Sens steals from a Habs fan, i came out with this during the Halloween photoshop post.. Obamas body and BGLs face and called him Laraque Obama
Figures ...

I wonder if the unfunny lame sarcasm is also plagiarized.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:24 PM
bib
#believe

I emailed Scott Cullen about his qualification of Grabovski as a rookie, and to my surprise he responded quite promptly. This is what he had to say:

"The differentiation is that a player can not have played 26 games in one season or more than six games in each of two seasons and Grabovski has not exceeded those thresholds. He was close, but still counts as a rookie."

So I basically misread the rules. It's not 25 or more games in his past seasons combined, he had to play 25 or more in one season. Grabs came close, but he just cut it. So, he is a rookie and qualifies for the Calder.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Funny thing about the shutout, after the game O'Byrne got the puck for Carey, but after the game, Price threw the puck to a young fan wearing a Habs shirt in the stand. I wonder why O'B didn't give the puck to Higgy tho, first NHL hat trick is much more valuable than a shutout.
Higgins would take the actual puck he put in the net for his hat trick.
I dont know if he did. TSN didnt show it if its the case.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Quiet Robert

Congrats to Higgins on the hattrick. The pass by Koivu SH was pretty sick, but more impressive was Higgins' catch and then the release. Equally sick release on the 3rd goal.

Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay as a whole played a really strong game. I like the fact that Koivu is willing to shoot much more this year, people have been wanting him to do this since his rookie year. Overall, I thought he played a very strong game. He created some turnovers, drew some penalties with his hard work and was involved for the entire game. There was shift where he and Kovalev were on the PK and they just dominated the puck. Only 48% in circle, but I think that's the only time this year he's been under 50%.

O'Byrne's best game of the year, by far. If he plays like this regularly I'd love keeping him in the lineup. Aside from the dumb penalty in the first, he played a solid game, played physical, kept it simple and unloaded a crazy shot that lead to the 2nd goal. He was credited with 6 hits, I don't know if he landed that many but I did notice he hit Heatley with 3 solid body checks and didn't put himself out of position doing it.

Lapierre also had his best game of the year. Montreal scorekeepers are notorious for inflating HITS totals, but I think the 8 hits he was credited are valid. He was great on the forecheck and did a good job at getting under people's skin. He was a solid 50% in the faceoff circle and played the solid game that a 4th liner should play. I don't expect too much flash, but if he forechecks hard and gets the cycle going, he's doing his job.

Good for Price getting the SO, though Pierre Maguire's excitement over routine saves is embarrassing. I love Price and the stability he can bring to this organization in goal, but he only faced 28 shots and was rarely tested. In the most dangerous play of the game he was beaten by Heatley (on that breakaway) and saved by the post. Again good for him for getting the shutout and bouncing back after a poor performance against TO, but Pierre Maguire was over the top in his praise.

Another solid game by Hamrlik. I don't want to overstate things, but I think you can make the case that him missing the game against Toronto seems to have been a significant reason for our defensive problems. He really helped O'Byrne out and overall was a solid presence. We only allowed 28 shots last night as opposed to 41 on Saturday.

Overall good bounce back after a poor performance on Saturday and probably our most complete performance of the season. There was a little letdown in the final 10 minutes of the 1st period and in the early parts of the 3rd, but as far as getting that "60 minute effort" we're going for, last night was the closest we came to it.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Let's put it into perspective. He's 1 month older than O'Byrne.
Alot of people forget that he still has a lot of upside. His progression curve since first joining the team shows for itself. Alot of it could do with confidence, but I think he is still learning and improving his skills at a considerable rate. Not only is he learning the defensive side of the game, but his outlet and breakout skills have improved dramatically; couple that with one of the best work ethics on the team and you have in my mind, the most promising defensive player on the team.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Hey Beaker !! You know how i hate Dandy personally, but i give him big time props for last night. If he would play with his speed like this all the time i might not knock him so much....i said might...
I don't love Dandy either... I wanted him out all summer... but he's playing decent right now.

I still think the 8-0-1 vs 1-2-1 stat is an aberration, but i was trying to be funny with that other thread.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I have to ask: based on what we've seen from Lapierre, why is he so hated amongst the other players in his conference, & especially the fans around the league? I know he never stops running his mouth, but a lot of agitators do that. He seems to be utterly despised by a lot of teams, & you always hear about it when his name comes up in broadcasts or on HFboards.

Aside from the Crosby spear, & one game against the Senators where everyone wanted to kill him...how the hell did he get such a rep in such a short span? It took Cooke, Ruutu, Avery etc years to make a name for themselves.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Funny thing about the shutout, after the game O'Byrne got the puck for Carey, but after the game, Price threw the puck to a young fan wearing a Habs shirt in the stand. I wonder why O'B didn't give the puck to Higgy tho, first NHL hat trick is much more valuable than a shutout.
I doubt that was the puck that higgins scored his third goal with.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I have to ask: based on what we've seen from Lapierre, why is he so hated amongst the other players in his conference, & especially the fans around the league? I know he never stops running his mouth, but a lot of agitators do that. He seems to be utterly despised by a lot of teams, & you always hear about it when his name comes up in broadcasts or on HFboards.

Aside from the Crosby spear, & one game against the Senators where everyone wanted to kill him...how the hell did he get such a rep in such a short span? It took Cooke, Ruutu, Avery etc years to make a name for themselves.
I wonder if Pierre was playing up the hatred for Lapierre. There's no doubt that he did something to Ottawa because they seem to go after him every time we play them. Then of course there's his spat with Crosby that goes back to junior, but other than that is really hated? Maybe Boston, but he doesn't seem to purposely antagonize the other teams like Ruutu, Ott, Avery, Kaleta, Cooke etc...There was a time when he did do that, during the 06-07 season and he may have gotten a reputation from there.

It's weird, in 06-07 he was playing like a real pest and he seemed in the running to be one of those hated agitators. He seemed to calm down in 07-08 and in fact there were times when people questioned his effectiveness and value if he wasn't going to play a physical game. So maybe the pendulum has swung back and he's settling to where he is going to be an effective player. This year he seems to have struck the right balance between physicality, agitating and playing a 4th line center role.

The other thing is his spot and his role were never really defined before this year so he may struggled with what the coaching staff wanted from him. In 06-07 he was looking to make the team and really played up the agitating side of his game. In 07-08 there was talk we might groom him to a 3rd line role, and I think his overall play suffered. This year his role is finally established, he is a 4th line centerman expected to play a tough grinding/strong forechecking type of game. Be solid on the draws, kill a few penalties and play an aggressive game and he doesn't have to rely on agitating the other team, just finishing his checks.

That said, he does a "face claque" and that ****-eating grin. Couple that with some chirping and some bodychecks I can see how he gets under people's skin. I really liked how he played last night though, he just has to keep doing that.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:15 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I doubt that was the puck that higgins scored his third goal with.
why?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:19 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
why?
Because they change pucks all the time whether during commercial breaks, if someone shoots it over the glass, ect..

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:20 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post

Sheep they are all Sheep !!!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I wonder if Pierre was playing up the hatred for Lapierre. There's no doubt that he did something to Ottawa because they seem to go after him every time we play them.
That said, he does a "face claque" and that ****-eating grin. Couple that with some chirping and some bodychecks I can see how he gets under people's skin. I really liked how he played last night though, he just has to keep doing that.
I guess McGuire's comments last game has something to do with it. He says something along the lines of "I don't like a lot of the things Lapierre does in this league" & all of a sudden everyone that caught the game last night chimes in today about how it's good to see such a dirty player get taken out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
why?
Might have something to do with the fact that the puck was taken out of the net & given to the trainer to set aside, as is the custom for every hattrick ever scored.

Quote:
Sheep they are all Sheep !!!
I think you're right.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote