HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hunter and Sutton?

Old
11-12-2008, 05:35 AM
dcyhabs

vCash: 500
O'Byrne

Less than O'Byrne based on last night's game. They just need to play O'Byrne and he will become a top 4 D-man.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Habitants

NO.

that is all

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I'm sorry but I don't see Gainey giving up on the plan 12 games into the season when we have an 8-2-2 record. I don't see him giving up on the plan before at least trying it in the playoffs once.

Our team is not built to have a third line defensive line. If you find a way to fit Sillinger under the cap and stick him on a line with Lappierre on the wing and Kostopolous on the other wing well i think we might consider that... but to replace Lang, i don't think its realistic to expect Gainey to make such a move.
Not talking about a line like Bonk-Johnson, etc...but more one with a mix of skills and grit. We especialy need size and I would like to see Tender with Sillinger because it would suddenly add something we didn't have before. And it's not like Lang adds speed anyway.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:45 AM
GNick42

One darkhorse I was thinking about is Tampa's Malik. He's always among league leaders in blocked shots and surprisely....one of the top 3-4 in plus/minus stat. Over the last 4 seasons(not including his '07-08 feud filled campaign with Tom Renney). Low cap hit also

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Didnt thought of him, but he would be a GREAT addition, became good enough to be a 4th D, (for thoses who watched Stars playoff games) always been good in the playoffs and his salary is more than decent...

unfortunately, the simple fact Stephane Robidas is making 1.5M$ makes it harder to get your hand on a player like him... as if a team wants to clean house, the last player they'd get rid of is the cheap and reliable one. And cheap AND reliable is exactly what Robidas became over the years.

He definitely fits in the group of D that would be nice to get though.
Glad you agree! (btw, Robidas is racking up 24 minutes/game!!).

Jay Mckee was a warrior for Buffalo during playoffs (2005-2006?).
Mitchell was a warrior for Minnesota during playoffs ('05-'06? or '06-'07).
Beauchemin was a warrior when the Ducks won the CUP.
Robidas was a warrior for Dallas during last year's playoffs.
Commodore was a warrior for Carolina when they won the CUP (but I wouldn't want him now with his salary! + not sure if he is just coasting now).

We need this type of dman who can come here and become a warrior (the "kind" mentioned above, not necessarily those specific names since I just used them as examples, but Robidas wouldn't be impossible to obtain IF Dallas were out).
Timmins (great eye) + Gainey will hopefully try and find a #3-4 warrior dman before deadline, OR...O'Byrne will become that #4 dman...?

Robidas: I thought he played like a very solid #2 or #3 dman in playoffs for Dallas last season. Actually, to me...he was one of their most important dmen (if not most important) during all/most of their playoffs run.

Like you wrote...Robidas would be difficult to get. First, Dallas has to be out of the playoffs, then we would have to make the offer VERY enticing since he's only making 1,5 mil (this season) + next season, what a bargain!! They'd probably want to receive one of our "bargain" dmen as well, ex: Gorges, and then they'd ask for a 1st or 2nd Rounder + maybe a Weber? maybe they'd ask for O'Byrne instead of Gorges?).

Robidas in a HABS lineup again...I really wouldn't mind that at all , plus, he would have another year in his contract at a VERY cheap salary.

p.s.: does Bouwmeester have it in him to be a warrior during playoffs?
Who out there can we get (not mentioned in the above), that can become a soldier for us in the
Who will be among the new "warrior" dmen in this '08-'09 playoffs? I'm hoping Komisarek will be one of 'em (I know...the playoffs are still far away!!). But, it would be great to add one more.
O'Byrne has that potential, but will he be ready or needs more time?, and does he have enough of a mean streak in him to be a warrior for playoffs?

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-12-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Glad you agree! (btw, Robidas is racking up 24 minutes/game!!).

Jay Mckee was a warrior for Buffalo during playoffs (2005-2006?).
Mitchell was a warrior for Minnesota during playoffs ('05-'06? or '06-'07).
Beauchemin was a warrior when the Ducks won the CUP.
Robidas was a warrior for Dallas during last year's playoffs.
Commodore was a warrior for Carolina when they won the CUP (but I wouldn't want him now with his salary! + not sure if he is just coasting now).

We need this type of dman who can come here and become a warrior (the "kind" mentioned above, not necessarily those specific names since I just used them as examples, but Robidas wouldn't be impossible to obtain IF Dallas were out).
Timmins (great eye) + Gainey will hopefully try and find a #3-4 warrior dman before deadline, OR...O'Byrne will become that #4 dman...?

Robidas: I thought he played like a very solid #2 or #3 dman in playoffs for Dallas last season. Actually, to me...he was one of their most important dmen (if not most important) during all/most of their playoffs run.

Like you wrote...Robidas would be difficult to get. First, Dallas has to be out of the playoffs, then we would have to make the offer VERY enticing since he's only making 1,5 mil (this season) + next season, what a bargain!! They'd probably want to receive one of our "bargain" dmen as well, ex: Gorges, and then they'd ask for a 1st or 2nd Rounder + maybe a Weber? maybe they'd ask for O'Byrne instead of Gorges?).

Robidas in a HABS lineup again...I really wouldn't mind that at all , plus, he would have another year in his contract at a VERY cheap salary.

p.s.: does Bouwmeester have it in him to be a warrior during playoffs?
Who out there can we get (not mentioned in the above), that can become a soldier for us in the
Who will be among the new "warrior" dmen in this '08-'09 playoffs? I'm hoping Komisarek will be one of 'em (I know...the playoffs are still far away!!). But, it would be great to add one more.
O'Byrne has that potential, but will he be ready or needs more time?, and does he have enough of a mean streak in him to be a warrior for playoffs?
1) Timmins is an amateur scout... he doesn't do pro scouting.
2) Bouwmeester has been great in International competition for Canada... that tells me he can be a playoff warrior. Its not his fault he hasn't gotten the chance for Canada.
3) The reason i like J-Bo so much is that he is one of the best skaters in the league, i think that really fits in well with our team. He is great in both ends of the ice, something that none of the guys you mentionned are.

Now as for the guys you mentioned
Jay Mckee has lost a step, he has blocked too many shots and is not the same defenceman he was three years ago. He's just not the same player.
Mitchell is not a UFA to be, he is a pillar on the Nucks blueline and not available cheaply.
Beauchemin may not be available, i doubt the Ducks are dumping good dmen as rentals, they are a contender, doesn't make sense. They have a new GM now though so who knows?? I also think Beauchemin is overrated a bit because of who he plays with. Last year without Nieds he didn't look near as good as he does beside Niedermayer
Robidas - I'm still not convinced that Dallas will be out of the playoff picture... have they sucked so far?? Yes... but i don't see it continuing for ever.
Commodore - not the defenceman he was... I saw him in Ottawa last year and he stunk.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:53 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Lots of habs fans have been talking aout getting a top 4 dmen and it also seem the consensus is that players like Bouwmeester, Burns, Morris or Ohlund would cost Montreal too many young players.I personaly think that we should pass on the Brett Clark and Jay McKee.

There is a team we could trade with and its the NY Islanders. guys like Trent Hunter and Andy Sutton can be the solution to some of Montreal deficiencies, like the lack of size, gritt and nastynes, especially on defense.
Hunter could play on a line with Lang and Kostitsyn or even on the 2nd with Koivu and Tanguay, Hunter can also kill penalties.
Which i like about Hunter is that he is a decent 2 way forward that hits a lot, his not slow and can pitch in 20 goals.
Hunter has a 5 years contrat at 2 000 000$ per seasons which is very decent

Sutton salary( 3 500 000$) and injuries is what a worries me a little, but like i mention earlier, getting a top 4dmen will cost a lots and i think Sutton trade value is not very high and worth to take a chance for the following reason.the guy is a monster 6'6 245, very physical, blocks shots, has a nasty disposition that is much needed on the Montreal defense, especialy after seeing the leafs charching Price 3-4 times in the last game.
I saw Sutton play against Vancouver when he was with Minnesota and he will defenitely clear the front of the net.
Sutton is signed for 2 more years including this one, at 3 500 000 per year against the cap.

I can see a trade involving Higgins(who's from NY), O'Byrne or Gorges and Begin.
In return Montreal could get Hunter, Sutton, NY 2nd and 5th round draft pick

What do you guys think?
An please be nice!!!

1. We don't have a size and grit issue
(Begin, Laraque, Kotos, Komi, Hammer, O'Byrne, Lappy, Lats)

2. Higgins may be from Long Island, but he grew up a HABS FAN!!!

3. We have a TON of defenseman coming up from the farm, why would you trade for one and lock up salary

4. We need salary space to sign our own people

5. Higgins>>>>> Hunter

6. Not ready to give up on O'Byrne, dman take longer to develop!

7. If we wanted Sutton, we could get him for a pick and a decent prospect...Isles have no farm depth!

8. Your trade at BEST is a sideways move.

WHY O WHY is Higgins part of trade rumors.... the guy is in his 4th NHL season and scored 27 goals last year and is a solid 2 way player!!

The kid is part of our CORE!!!!!

And this is being nice!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Well guys, we'll just have to wait and see which team gets Bouwmeester this season!! (I can't wait to see what teams will offer to get him at or before the deadline; and I just hope if it's us we don't overpay, but yes...I realize you have to give to receive, I just hope we don't end up giving waaay too much! that's all). Let's wait and see.

And, maybe we shouldn't be so quick to want to include O'Byrne in a package for a "rental" player (we might end up regretting it BIG time, and...sooner than later).

Meanwhile...am I the only one who likes Stephane Robidas as our #4 dman?! (crickets were heard when I mentioned him in previous posts! maybe there's a reason for that?!).

I just realized/saw that Dallas is 5-7-3, and if they continue they might miss the playoffs, no? (I doubt it, but...stranger things have happened). Maybe Robidas to Mtl isn't that far fetched?!! Robidas makes a measly $1,5 mil/year , and till 2010. I still don't see Dallas ever trading him to us.
I loved Robidas.. wanted to keep him over Bullion when they both came up together!

Both were fiesty, but it was obvious that Robidas had the offensive upside. Some of the decisions that this team at that time still bite us in the rear end!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Now as for the guys you mentioned
Jay Mckee has lost a step, he has blocked too many shots and is not the same defenceman he was three years ago. He's just not the same player.
Mitchell is not a UFA to be, he is a pillar on the Nucks blueline and not available cheaply.
Beauchemin may not be available, i doubt the Ducks are dumping good dmen as rentals, they are a contender, doesn't make sense. They have a new GM now though so who knows?? I also think Beauchemin is overrated a bit because of who he plays with. Last year without Nieds he didn't look near as good as he does beside Niedermayer
Robidas - I'm still not convinced that Dallas will be out of the playoff picture... have they sucked so far?? Yes... but i don't see it continuing for ever.
Commodore - not the defenceman he was... I saw him in Ottawa last year and he stunk.
My quote from my last post: "...We need this type of dman who can come here and become a warrior (the "kind" mentioned above, not necessarily those specific names since I just used them as examples...").

I know I write too much sometimes, so I can't expect everyone to read all of it!!

Even though I was just using those players' names as examples, I wouldn't mind getting Robidas out of all that bunch I named but again it's probably far from realistic (unless Dallas continues to plummet, but like you...I see Dallas in playoffs, 99% chance...only 1/8 or slightly more of the season has elapsed, so...plenty of time). Like when someone else mentioned...Brad Stuart: why would Detroit give us Stuart? It would be like Detroit asking us for Roman Hamrlik! I just used Mitchell, McKee, etc, as examples, except for...Robidas (wishful thinking/hoping if we somehow get him as our 4th D!).

I wouldn't take McKee today (not the same player anymore from the little I know, read).
I would never name Mitchell as a possibility (but just used him as an example of what we would need).
Commodore: I can't recognize him (not the same player) ever since he got that huge contract...
Beauchemin: just like Stuart with Detroit, why would Anaheim trade him to us?

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-12-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
My quote from my last post: "...We need this type of dman who can come here and become a warrior (the "kind" mentioned above, not necessarily those specific names since I just used them as examples...").

I know I write too much sometimes, so I can't expect everyone to read all of it!!

Even though I was just using those players' names as examples, I wouldn't mind getting Robidas out of all that bunch I named but again it's probably far from realistic (unless Dallas continues to plummet, but like you...I see Dallas in playoffs, 99% chance...only 1/8 or slightly more of the season has elapsed, so...plenty of time). Like when someone else mentioned...Brad Stuart: why would Detroit give us Stuart? It would be like Detroit asking us for Roman Hamrlik! I just used Mitchell, McKee, etc, as examples, except for...Robidas (wishful thinking/hoping if we somehow get him as our 4th D!).

I wouldn't take McKee today (not the same player anymore from the little I know, read).
I would never name Mitchell as a possibility (but just used him as an example of what we would need).
Commodore: I can't recognize him (not the same player) ever since he got that huge contract...
Beauchemin: just like Stuart with Detroit, why would Anaheim trade him to us?
Fair enough.... you see the need as a shot blocker/defensive guy from what i see here, Mitchell, commodore, Mckee, etc....

I'd rather have more of a two way threat and a guy who could play the PP too... Bouw, Ohlund, etc.... (though i guess Robidas and Beauchemin would fit here too)

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
1. We don't have a size and grit issue
(Begin, Laraque, Kotos, Komi, Hammer, O'Byrne, Lappy, Lats)
Begin hits but he's small and he's injury prone, Laraque is useless unless he drops them, Kosto is also small, Hammer is good defensively but rarely hit, O'Byrne is confused, Lappy is not an heavyweight, Lats has potential but has not realised what he is about yet. More importantly most of the guys you mentioned lack the killer instinct to intimidate. Our grinders do good work but are just a bunch of nice guys. But our most crucial size lack of size and grit-and this was evident the most in the playoffs-is on our top two lines. We have skills there but our deficiancies to strike back or go body-to-body on the skills lines when it's important has cost us. The Kostitsyn Bros, Kovy and Plekanec completly disappeared against the Flyers. And they were almost neutralised when we faced the Bruins.

The Habs should be looking for for Big, Skilled, Mean, mother-f***ers.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 09:29 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Begin hits but he's small and he's injury prone, Laraque is useless unless he drops them, Kosto is also small, Hammer is good defensively but rarely hit, O'Byrne is confused, Lappy is not an heavyweight, Lats has potential but has not realised what he is about yet. More importantly most of the guys you mentioned lack the killer instinct to intimidate. Our grinders do good work but are just a bunch of nice guys. But our most crucial size lack of size and grit-and this was evident the most in the playoffs-is on our top two lines. We have skills there but our deficiancies to strike back or go body-to-body on the skills lines when it's important has cost us. The Kostitsyn Bros, Kovy and Plekanec completly disappeared against the Flyers. And they were almost neutralised when we faced the Bruins.

The Habs should be looking for for Big, Skilled, Mean, mother-f***ers.
I totaly agree with you. Begin hits but is not big, as lost speed and is injury prone.
Laperiere does'nt hit as much as he should.
Kostopoulos sometimes hits but does'nt really intimidate anyone. Hammer is big and strong but does'nt hit much. o'Byrne will have a big hit every 10 games. Latendresse hits hard but lacks speed.

i would love a David clarckson, Daniel Carcillo, Krys Barch, Cody McLeod.
A guy who could play on the 3rd line once in a while and be effective, more than kostopoulos.a guy who can hit, drop them and somewhat intimidate.

As far a dmen are concerned, what about guys like Barret Jackman, Derrek Morris, Bryan Allen or even a Philippe Boucher.

Robidas would not be my choice, he did have good playoffs last year, but it is still to see if it was just a fluke. Robidas too soft and small like Markov, Brisebois, Gorges.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote