HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabs and Kosts interviews to home press

Old
11-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Belarus

vCash: 500
Grabs and Kosts interviews to home press

Mikhail Grabovski: Maybe he got his license suspended?

- When during preseason you were able to finds the back of the net, but at the start of regular season you were in scoring drought from Minsk it looked like "eternal bad luck". Did you dwell on it?
- Absolutely no. There is nothing eternal in life and so is bad luck. I waited it out. When you're being trusted it's easier to deal with temporal difficulties. And they trust me in Toronto.

- Is this the biggest difference between Ron Wilson and Gi Charbonneau?
- No, there are others. Ron is more experienced than Gi, he has brought his team to the Stanley Cup final. Also, he has different approach towards players: in Montreal our relationships were strictly businesslike. Here in Toronto coach takes an interest in his players life besides hockey, can have heart-to-heart talk with you and it prepossesses you. Finally, what's also nice is that Wilson - proponent of euro style of hockey. I have no idea where it comes from, but being a North American he allows us to improvise more. Oh and I already said about the trust.

- They trust you so much that it looks they pick players "for Grabovski" now, and not cover holes with you as it was before.
- Perhaps. But this is normal because i'm playing center. Recently looks like coached found optimal blend of our line - Kulemin and Hagman playing wings. Before Kolya (Kulemin) recovered from his injury they constantly shuffled my partners. Now burst of our line's offensive production I directly link to Kulemin's complete recovery.

- Especially "burst" goes along with your "fondness" towards Carolina. Four goals in two games in three days - it's big. Where such a love for Hurricanes comes from?
- How you can not love them if the name of the city is female's name. (Grabs laughs)

- Wait a sec... I hear some romantic notes. So, very soon we should discover you're no longer promising single.
- Oh, come on... Let's agree: you haven't asked - I haven't answerd, ok? Let's talk hockey only.

- As you wish. Then shed some light on if it was possible for you to wind up in Toronto's farm club during your drought?
- Impossible. The contract was put in the way that they could only trade me to some other NHL team. I've got enough of two way agreements. I've had a dilemma this summer: whether I play in the NHL or I come back to play in Russia.

- To put it this way one must be confident about what he can do.
- I've never had any problems with that. Always felt there is nothing extraterrestrial for me in the NHL and I could play some good hockey here. I now I think I'm proving this.

- Oh you're sure do. From now on You can only improve uour previous, even though modest personal record.
- Yes, but I'm more happy about my other record. My seventeen-twenty minutes a game - this is what I craved. Now, when I have it what else do I need?

- Well, how about comfort in life for example.
- I'm perfectly fine. I always liked Toronto as a city and Toronto as an NHL club. And these are not regular words and not regular due to management. I said it before, when playing for Montreal and Hamilton. There is a friendly team climate in Toronto. It is so encouraging: I feel myself as I felt before in Neftehimik (Russia). Look, it's very reminiscent of what I've had there: experienced coach, young team, complete trust.

- You can tell me whatever you want, but I won't believe Saturday's game against Canadiens was regular game for you.
- Of course it was a special game for me. But not because I hold grudge against my former team. It's the opposite, I made my first steps in the NHL playing with them and only for that I'm grateful to my former teammates and Gi Charbonneau. But I've had the same satisfaction from victory as if it was any other game, except that we lost to them one month ago 1:6 and it has strengthen it a bit.

- Ok, now let's talk about the most important: what was between you and Sergei? Was his charge a surprise for you?
- Oh, and there you go... Why all reporters, whether it's in Canada or back home have clung to this episode? Right in that game Kostopolus sent our player Van Rynn to hospital for more than a week. But, I feel like no one talks about this really unpleasant moment comparing to our trash talk.

- Illegal hits are common in the NHL. But clash of two out of total four countrymen in the NHL we couldn't leave unnoticed. Why would Sergei charged into you so viciously?
- It was hit like any other hit and I don't hold grudge for Sergei. It's NHL - anything happens here. But why he's mad at me, I don't understand. Maybe, he got his driver license suspended, maybe he has problems with his girlfriend - I don't know. But there is no my fault in his problems.

- One of the versions says you've said something to him. What was that?
- I don't remember exactly, but it was regular trash talk as it happens in cases like that. I told him to look at the scoreboard and said he was too young to fight me. Andrei (his older brother) didn't want to sort out our relationship as he's older and controls himself. But if someone so eager to engage into fist talk, we can always meet after season end in Minsk.

- Another thing you've said is the "I have no friends in Montreal". Also, some say Ponikarovski translated it the wrong way.
- I doubt it. Alexei's English is very good to be it this way. Other thing is reporters interpreted my words incorrectly: I meant I have no friends among opposing team on ice.

- Why you're using partners to translate it for you? Your English is not so good?
- Not so bad, but it's not ideal either. When one on one I speak decent, but right after game you colleagues surrounded me and I had to ask for my teammate's help.

- I guess you spend more time with Russian speaking guys after hockey games.
- And it's a wrong guess. This is a beauty of Toronto - they don't have team divided in groups by some features. We're all together. And it's good as my English is getting better because, for example, during road games I share the hotel room with Dominic Moore.

- By the way we're not disturbing him now with our conversation? It's 1am in the morning.
- No, it's ok. He went to visit his local relatives.

- You shouldn't feel yourself lonely in Toronto also because, If I'm not mistaken, here is the biggest Belorussian population in Canada. They have even Belorussian church.
- Seriously? I didn't know. I've heard they have many Ukrainians here, but I haven't met Belorussians so far. And I don't feel lonely at all. I have my relatives in Toronto too. My dad's cousin lives here. He's is my guide to the city.

- So, I see you're feel yourself comfortable here. What do you see in your future?
- Fight for the playoff berth. They don't demand it here right away as we're building new team. I hope to contribute. The more I contribute - the better.

==========================================

Sergei Kostitsyn: and what happened?

- Sergei, what happened between you and Grabovski?
- And what happened?

- Many blame you for this hit against member of national team.
- So what, let them blame me. Am I supposed to kiss him every time I meet him on the ice? We play hockey here... I play tough against anybody, why should I make exception for Grabovski? They all the same for me on ice. I think that was a clean body check. And this is his problem he did not keep his head up. It's fraught with serious consequences in the NHL.

- How do you explain that emotional moment, when you wanted to fight you former teammate?
- It just happened the way the game unfolded. And fight?.. I was ready to fight, but knew Grabovski wouldn't want it.

- This conflict can have some consequences for the team Belarus micro climate. Maybe you talked it over after the game?
- No, I don't talk to him.

- Supposedly, you had bad blood with Grabovski from long time ago?
- No, no bad blood. I'm not mad at him and never was. I have no relationship with him.

- What can you tell more about the game against Toronto?
- That was the worst game of Canadiens since the start of the regular season. We forgot it right when it's ended. In all other games where we lost we looked much better. In general, I'm happy, as the team plays good hockey and has won 9 out of 13. That's a good result. If only we could win those two road games against Columbus and Toronto.

- Why you couldn't finish road trip better?
- We started to make too many trips to the box and were punished for this. Besides, the whole team was unorganized against Toronto. We came out thinking it was an easy win.

- Are you happy with your start of the season?
- Of course I'd like to have more points by now. Probably there is a reason everybody says second season is much more harder then your first one. But it's hard for me to tell the reason why. I wouldn't say the opponent knows my game and keeps me in check every time I step on ice. And training camp this year was as hard as last year's and I had to prove that I'm a regular on Montreal.

- How do you like to play with Lang and Latendresse?
- Fine, I do not complain. Lang is a veteran player, very good center with good hockey sense. Latendresse was recently transferred on our line since Higgins recovered from injury.

- Does Lang try to teach young players like you and Latendresse?
- No, Robert understands that players in the NHL already know how to play and are able to play hockey.

- Don't you regret that you don't play with your brother on the same line, only from time to time?
- Of course I feel better playing with my brother. Last season we played together alot. This year it doesn't happen that much. Why? This is prerogative of the head coach and only he is in charge of who plays on what line. Players in the NHL do not advise to their head coach with whom they like to play. Coach keeps neutrality towards any of his players, there are no favorites for coaches. This is one of the distinction between North America and Belarus or Russia.

- Did it help to start season early playing for Belorussian cup?
- You have to start early to be ready for long NHL season. And the experience in Keramin (hockey club in Belarus) was very helpful. The level of hockey back home did not disappoint either. We had to demonstrate our best hockey.

- It would be nice to start season with Belorussian Cup and finish it with the Stanley Cup
- Of course, this is my main goal. We have a good shot at the Stanley Cup this season.

- Canadiens celebrate 100th anniversary. Does management demand the cup?
- Management, of course, would like to celebrate this even by winning Stanley Cup. But no one puts pressure on players. There is no such pressure that is usual in that kind of situations in Belarus or Russia. Because life doesn't stop at that.

- And what do your fans and Canadian press demand?
- After last season's win in the Eastern conference Montreal is being viewed as on of the main candidates for Stanley Cup. Last season we had young team. Today everybody became more experienced, tried the taste of playoffs. The loss against the Flyers long time forgotten. We all think about this season now.

- How is Andrei doing after vicious hit from Sauer?
- Pretty well. He missed couple of games and came back.

- How was it for you to play without him?
- It's ok, I was doing my job and did not try to compensate for his absence.

- How do you feel you already regular in Montreal?
- And this is the question you have to ask coaches and players.

http://www.pressball.by/news.php?t=0205&id=36336

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Thanks a lot for translating the articles.

It's good to see both Sergei and Grabovski showing some maturity by not airing out their dirty laundry in their country's press. Both interviews felt really politically correct though, it's clear they both held up from saying anything bad about each other.

Funny to see Sergei talk about his hit on Grabs like it could be any other hit though.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Thanks for the articles
GOOD READ

'- Is this the biggest difference between Ron Wilson and Gi Charbonneau?
- No, there are others. Ron is more experienced than Gi, he has brought his team to the Stanley Cup final. Also, he has different approach towards players: in Montreal our relationships were strictly businesslike. Here in Toronto coach takes an interest in his players life besides hockey, can have heart-to-heart talk with you and it prepossesses you.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Universe
Eh?

Grabs I guess hasn't watched TSN since the hit because it's played 30 times a day.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:06 PM
chillmat

Quote:
- Is this the biggest difference between Ron Wilson and Gi Charbonneau?
- No, there are others. Ron is more experienced than Gi, he has brought his team to the Stanley Cup final. Also, he has different approach towards players: in Montreal our relationships were strictly businesslike.
I think this is not a fact, the Habs are known throughout the league to be one of the team that respect the most their players, both on and off the ice...

I believe the kid wanted to shot something towards Guy for not giving him what he wanted last season (more ice-time...)...

chillmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:19 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Thanks for the articles
GOOD READ

'- Is this the biggest difference between Ron Wilson and Gi Charbonneau?
- No, there are others. Ron is more experienced than Gi, he has brought his team to the Stanley Cup final. Also, he has different approach towards players: in Montreal our relationships were strictly businesslike. Here in Toronto coach takes an interest in his players life besides hockey, can have heart-to-heart talk with you and it prepossesses you.
And?

Scotty Bowman also was "businesslike" when handling players....how many cups did he win?

I prefer "businesslike" over coaches trying to be friends....the latter doesn't wear well over time.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:27 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

- No, Robert understands that players in the NHL already know how to play and are able to play hockey.

What the hell? lol

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
kostitsyn1489

I'd really like to know what's up between them. I heard it was related to his missed flight and even russian didnt appreciate it at all, but its all speculation. Would be great to really know what happened.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
And?

Scotty Bowman also was "businesslike" when handling players....how many cups did he win?

I prefer "businesslike" over coaches trying to be friends....the latter doesn't wear well over time.
there was no and ment

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:34 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
And?

I agree with you 100%.
I've seen it in other sports too, For example, with the Roughriders in the CFL, we've always had friendly, buddy-buddy coaches and they can't get the job done at all, it becomes too much of a relaxed environment. Then Kent Austin replaces barrett with a more business like attitude.. Bang Champions.

Let's just get the job done here, sports is a business.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Garo

Wait... Ron Wilson, friendly?

Somehow, I can hear Marleau laughing.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post

What the hell? lol
Translation - I don't even hardly know who the hell Robert Lang is yet. Ask me later....

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:40 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Thanks, Belarus! Interesting reads...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Namso

Good for both of them to not act like kids about it. I hope Andrei told Sergei to keep himself in check. I feel its best for the team that this sort of drama doesnt linger.

Sergei seems to have found his game recently which is good. As for Grabs, I wish him well but now that he's on another team, I dont exactly cheer for him.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 01:56 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
- Another thing you've said is the "I have no friends in Montreal". Also, some say Ponikarovski translated it the wrong way.
- I doubt it. Alexei's English is very good to be it this way. Other thing is reporters interpreted my words incorrectly: I meant I have no friends among opposing team on ice.

- How do you explain that emotional moment, when you wanted to fight you former teammate?
- It just happened the way the game unfolded. And fight?.. I was ready to fight, but knew Grabovski wouldn't want it.

- This conflict can have some consequences for the team Belarus micro climate. Maybe you talked it over after the game?
- No, I don't talk to him.

- Supposedly, you had bad blood with Grabovski from long time ago?
- No, no bad blood. I'm not mad at him and never was. I have no relationship with him.]
Whoa.. I smell a cat fight brewing!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Wait... Ron Wilson, friendly?

Somehow, I can hear Marleau laughing.
Exactly. Ask Jason Blake if he's this friendly & open with him.

I got a kick out of the "Lang is a veteran center that brings a lot of skill...& Latendresse was recently moved to our line". If you read between the lines Sergei is clearly telling us that he thinks Lats has hands of stone & should be on the 4th.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Kman777

Sergei Kostitsyn's got much less of an ego.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:18 PM
JrHockeyFan

Not to hard to read between the lines on those interviews

Grabo obviously thinks he did enough to earn more TOI last year. Going back to watching him at the AHL and NHL levels I think he has a poor case. Clearly he blames the coach and team climate for his failure in Montreal. It looks a lot like he put himself on the outside while in montreal

Sergei on the other hand is clearly ticked at the fact that the home press expects him and Grabo to like each other because they will play together back home. He isn't saying why but it sure is clear that he is not going to set anything aside.

The funniest thing is Grabo talking about Mr warmth Ron Wilson. Somehow I think that attitude will change some day

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:21 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post

I got a kick out of the "Lang is a veteran center that brings a lot of skill...& Latendresse was recently moved to our line". If you read between the lines Sergei is clearly telling us that he thinks Lats has hands of stone & should be on the 4th.
Clearly.

Does anyone sense a bit of arrogance in Grabovski's tone.

Old
11-13-2008, 02:22 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman777 View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn's got much less of an ego.
Yeah. Grabovski sure isn't Mr humble is he?

Old
11-13-2008, 02:25 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Clearly.

Does anyone sense a bit of arrogance in Grabovski's tone.
Absolutely. I think it sheds a lot of light on his inability to make progress in Montreal on or off the ice. I think the kid feels like something is owed to him. It's always somebody eleses fault

Old
11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
zurg999

[quote=Blades 0f Steel;16303618]Exactly. Ask Jason Blake if he's this friendly & open with him.

I got a kick out of the "Lang is a veteran center that brings a lot of skill...& Latendresse was recently moved to our line". If you read between the lines Sergei is clearly telling us that he thinks Lats has hands of stone & should be on the 4th.[/quote]

I didn't read that. I read it that Lang /Kost both like prime rib and Lats likes philly cheese steak.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post

Clearly? I have to disagree.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:32 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
Clearly? I have to disagree.

Old
11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Amputechture

Really weird interviews. So much is being left out. It's like they both have a lot more that they wanna say, but are keeping their lips tight. I agree that Grabs sounds really cocky. He acts as if he is ovechkin or crosby...like the Habs should have offered him the number one centre position. They gave him the number two spot last season to start and he blew it. The only person he has to blame is himself. As for Sergei. Just the tone and the way he speaks seems like he really really hates Grabs. He is just so bitter with him. This will be an interesting feud to see play out over time.

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote