HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

POLL: BGL... useful? or not? or too soon to say?

View Poll Results: BGL... useful? a waste of space? or too soon to say?
Useful 31 21.68%
Waste of space 55 38.46%
Too soon to say 57 39.86%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
POLL: BGL... useful? or not? or too soon to say?

Reading the boards after the loss, it seems many did not like seeing Komisarek doing the fighting tonight (or Bouillion previously).

Thought a fan poll might be appropriate right about now...

Is BGL useful to the Habs?

or is he just occupying the spot of a potentially better 4th line contributer?

He is, of course, under contract for 3 YEARS!!!!

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Guaranteed he fights Saturday.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Chomsky

Were people really counting on him to kick the **** out of everyone every game???

He's a goon. The best goon in the league. But that's how a good goon plays.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:09 PM
gusfring

If people think Laraque was the problem tonight, they are delusional.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Magic33

I think there is a fine line when being an enforcer. You have to let guys stand up for themselves. Every hab has pride, and im sure they like to settle their own battles .... to a certain extent. If things are out of hand, BGL needs to step in, because thats what we pay him for. Its a tough call, not to mention that nobody wants to fight him.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Namso

yeah lets blame BGL for a 6-1 loss tonight. Always looking for a scapegoat and of course we cant blame our "stars".

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Habs8517

he just needs to be meaner
he was like that in pits

Habs8517 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I didn't vote because I think that his actions are controlled by his coach. He needs to be utilized properly.

I 100,000,000% plus guarantee that Carbonneau will have nothing to complain about regarding BGL's actions after the Komi incident. This is because Carbonneau has no clue at all regarding the big picture.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Drunk World Order

he has not been useful at all to this point...he needs to be intimidating other teams stars and running his mouth ...his presence is not enough...he needs to instilling the fear of god into the opposition...look at lucic taking runs at Kovalev and others and jawing at the bench...thats what larague needs to be doing!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I wish he didn't ease up so much when he's hitting people. One big board crushing hit per game would be sweet.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:21 PM
NewGuy

I'd like to see him initiate things more often, but i'm not sure if the players on the Habs' bench feel the same way.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:43 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I wish he didn't ease up so much when he's hitting people. One big board crushing hit per game would be sweet.
Good luck with that.

Laraque can't hit. In order to make a hit, you first need to be able to skate, and Laraque can't skate to save his life. In a straight line, he does fine, but if he has to turn/pivot, he's hooped. It's not very hard to avoid a hit from Laraque...

I'll harp on Laraque all season long, if you guys don't mind. As a part-time Oiler fan, I've been a Laraque hater for a long time now.

Sure, he's great for intimidation purposes, but beyond that, he brings very little to the table.

He doesn't play with an edge, he doesn't hold grudges against other players, he doesn't get angry at the opposition...all things that an enforcer should be doing. Nevermind controlling the puck down low for 15 seconds...leave that for Latendresse.

I've said it before and I will say it again; he's too nice. An enforcer is not supposed to be 'nice'.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just not a fan. At all.

(Get used to my BG complaining, I've been doing since his Oiler days, and it looks like I won't be changing my ways anytime soon. )

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Can't say I'm surprised, as Diamond Joe Quimby once said "you people are a pack of fickle mush-heads."

We love him when he beats up Fedoruk, or makes Neil piss his pants. Not so much when Lucy avoids him like the plague & our entire team can't do anything right.

If our dependable players didn't make gigantic gaffes with the puck, & if the entire team played their speedy transition game to bury the Bruins like they always have, this thread wouldn't exist. But...whatever helps you sleep at night.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:51 PM
CrisisInMTL

I look at the Ottawa game and see it as proof that BGL is useful.

He didn't even have to drop the gloves but he kept the Sens in line. Yes Rutuu threw the elbow but he's a dirty rat who'll never answer the bell. Think back to last season, Chris Neil would run around acting like he owned the place and the only guy we figured that could really step up and calm Neil down was Komisarek, but you don't want him in the box for 5 mins.

Tuesday night, Neil was invisible. No big hits, no yapping and of course he refused to go with BGL. The Habs felt like the bigger stronger team, and it was a pleasant night for everyone.

BGL isn't going to be an impact player in a direct way. He's an insurance policy. He insure peace of mind for our players and insures that other teams don't run around and act recklessly around us.

Having BGL makes the Habs a better team, not on paper, but by keeping the opposition in check and making the Habs player feel secure.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:51 PM
CrisisInMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
If our dependable players didn't make gigantic gaffes with the puck, & if the entire team played their speedy transition game to bury the Bruins like they always have, this thread wouldn't exist. But...whatever helps you sleep at night.
That's how I feel.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:54 PM
OneSharpMarble

He crushes Lucic's nose in the first period this is a very different game. The boys were totally out of this game from the get go. No jump and no heads in the game. That is when Laraque needs to crush a face or two and send a wake up call.

he either starts swinging or his season will end quickly.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:11 AM
AHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
He crushes Lucic's nose in the first period this is a very different game. The boys were totally out of this game from the get go. No jump and no heads in the game. That is when Laraque needs to crush a face or two and send a wake up call.
Exactly.

But you'll never see Laraque do that, right? Most enforcers have a very short fuse, and would have none of that running around stuff. Once the bodies start flying is the time to 'set things straight' with a good ol' fashionned scrap.

Laraque though, has an unusually long fuse, and waits way too long before acting. While I keep wishing he finds a mean streak, I know he never will.

Old
11-14-2008, 12:18 AM
BigBadZ33*

Honestly, if Laraque instigates Lucic, then Chara will instigate Komisarek. It's a lose/lose. You need more than one tough player to try and goon it up.

It's been well known for many years that Laraque is too nice. That was the exact reason why The Great One traded him from the Coyotes last year.

BigBadZ33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:23 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Exactly.

But you'll never see Laraque do that, right? Most enforcers have a very short fuse, and would have none of that running around stuff. Once the bodies start flying is the time to 'set things straight' with a good ol' fashionned scrap.

Laraque though, has an unusually long fuse, and waits way too long before acting. While I keep wishing he finds a mean streak, I know he never will.
He needs to be strategic with his fighting. Two instances which should be code red time for a fight...
- Losing bad in the 3rd period, need to save face give the boys something to keep the morale high for next game
- Not playing worth a damn 1st period, heads not in the game and just floating out there.

I am not saying he needs to fight every game but you cant just skate around hoping someone will fight you on their terms because they wont do it with George. George just grab someone and start swinging, im not saying sucker punch style im saying chase him down and make him run like a coward if he wont fight.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Cupmonger

I like the guy. But i personally think he doesn't bring anything much apart from fighting for us from time to time(not that it's a bad thing, since we usually don't have a lot of fights, seeing how the last seasons were). I'm not saying he's useless due to tonight's game. I just think that he isn't beginning much, especially for 1.5M. I strongly hope he proves me wrong later in the season.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Bruins fan here:

I come in peace!!

My take on Laraque (from before the CH) is that he is a very, very good fighter, but not a great enforcer. IMO, to be a good enforcer, you need to get an instigator from time to time AND not just fight heavies. Rather, you need to go out there and get the instigator and fight a guy who is truly pissing off your team and possibly taking liberties with your players.

Now if BGL would from time to time snap and start unloading on some punk who deserved it, then I would be scared ****less of him. However, when I think of BGL I think of the "Good Luck" clip from his days with the Coyotes. Take tonight for example, he can hack Lucic all he wants but Lucic knows he wont take the instigator. Now if he were to instigate Lucic, it would make a lot of us take a step back.

I'll use Shawn Thornton as an example. He is not the size of Laraque and not as good of a fighter but I have been very pleased with his ability to enforce. He has gone after Ott and Bass not because they are heavies, but because they did something HE thought was not right. That, IMO is what it takes to be an enforcer.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:04 AM
snakeye

Just wait till the media gets on his ass. Then he'll start enforcing everything that can be enforced.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:24 AM
habfaninvictoria

BGL did his job tonight. When Lucy cheapshotted Kovy Carbo sent him out to deal with him. He offered the fight but Lucy backed down. Kovalev went relatively unmolested after that.
Unfortunately because of the instigator rule BGL can't just mug someone. Carbo might have to take the leash of him and deal with a couple instigator penalties. It may put us in a small hole for a couple minutes but it may be worth it.
Carbo still learning how to use his pitbull, give it time.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:40 AM
AHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Bruins fan here:

I come in peace!!

My take on Laraque (from before the CH) is that he is a very, very good fighter, but not a great enforcer. IMO, to be a good enforcer, you need to get an instigator from time to time AND not just fight heavies. Rather, you need to go out there and get the instigator and fight a guy who is truly pissing off your team and possibly taking liberties with your players.

Now if BGL would from time to time snap and start unloading on some punk who deserved it, then I would be scared ****less of him. However, when I think of BGL I think of the "Good Luck" clip from his days with the Coyotes. Take tonight for example, he can hack Lucic all he wants but Lucic knows he wont take the instigator. Now if he were to instigate Lucic, it would make a lot of us take a step back.

I'll use Shawn Thornton as an example. He is not the size of Laraque and not as good of a fighter but I have been very pleased with his ability to enforce. He has gone after Ott and Bass not because they are heavies, but because they did something HE thought was not right. That, IMO is what it takes to be an enforcer.
Well said sir.

Old
11-14-2008, 01:53 AM
TheCH*

I wish Laraque would go out there a piss some players off. If he doesn't do any dirty work, he is completely useless and a waste of a spot. Begin's hitting a blocking shots is far more useful, b's fans hate Begin and that is a compliment as far as him and the habs are concerned. Play him.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote