HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is this the year (rant)

Old
11-13-2008, 10:55 PM
cprice31

vCash: 500
Is this the year (rant)

Pardon my rant, just venting a little.

How many of you are tired of mediocrity? Since 1993, we havent past the 2nd round. Every year we think this will be the year that the Habs will move forward, this is the year the Canadiens have what it takes to be a contender.

We are now moving on 16 years since the 1993 Championship, and since this time, it seems like for all the progress the franchise is made, we havent been able to make that big "step". The big "step" that makes us a contender, an elite team, a balanced team that has the right mix of size/grit/talent/skill/heart to makes us all believe that "this is the year".

How many of you really feel like "this is the year"? How many of you really feel like this team, in its current composition, has that right "balance" to move this team back to the elite levels of the NHL.

With respect to Kovalev/Higgins/Latendresse/A.Kost & Markov, I dont see the guys being there when the tough gets going. I dont believe that these people are what it takes to make it through the thick and the thin.

We dont have a Brendan Morrow, Tomas Holmstrom, Shane Doan on this team. ..

Its not that I dont love the Habs. I just dont feel that this year "is the year".. and with all the UFAs and salary cap constraints.. I cant see how the situation will improve in the medium term with either one of Kovalev/Koivu/Komisarek/Tanguay gone.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong, and would love nothing more for this to happen.

cprice31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:03 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Also, don't forget that if we don't win the cup this year, it will be the first ever decade that the Habs don't win at least a cup...

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Fire Brunet*

Oh well I can't say you're not right..

Personally, I have always liked tough skilled players... I'd like the Habs to be a team teams like Boston :help

I mean they may not be as skilled as the Habs, but they're proving that skill isn't everything and having hardworking players pays off.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:05 PM
CPrice

Do you want to stop posting you bull **** across the boards. I don't know how many stupid posts I've seen like this from you tonight. (rant)

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:06 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Is this the year (rant)

No.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
cprice31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Do you want to stop posting you bull **** across the boards. I don't know how many stupid posts I've seen like this from you tonight.

How is the bullsh*t. Im asking you some intellectual questions, clearly you are not up to task of answering simple questions.

We all want the Habs to be the best, so why dont you take a step back and realize that we aint as good as we think we are.

cprice31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 11:11 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Considering the strong showing for Habs players in the All-Star balloting thus far, this thread is legit.

Old
11-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Magic33

I think that everyone (myself included) has ridiculously high expectations, with last years success, and this years events, I came into this season thinking they would walk over everyone and be a contender for the cup. Now that they are struggling, everyone seems to be caught off guard. Then again, its a crazy hockey city and we expect nothing but the best. Unfortunately, its not that simple. We're going to have our ups and downs. Guys are going to slump, goalies wont make saves, dmen will cough up the puck. Its all part of the game and it will happen over the 82 games. I only hope that when those 82 games are done, everyone has learned from their mistakes, moved on from the season, and put their best foot (and effort) forward and make that extra effort in the playoffs.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:59 AM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I think that everyone (myself included) has ridiculously high expectations, with last years success, and this years events, I came into this season thinking they would walk over everyone and be a contender for the cup. Now that they are struggling, everyone seems to be caught off guard. Then again, its a crazy hockey city and we expect nothing but the best. Unfortunately, its not that simple. We're going to have our ups and downs. Guys are going to slump, goalies wont make saves, dmen will cough up the puck. Its all part of the game and it will happen over the 82 games. I only hope that when those 82 games are done, everyone has learned from their mistakes, moved on from the season, and put their best foot (and effort) forward and make that extra effort in the playoffs.
Are you serious with this???? "Walk over everyone????"

I'm sure this is hyperbole, and written in the heat of the moment, but still--not exactly something a long time Hab fan would be proud of...

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Cupmonger

I was at least expecting our Habs to be motivated for most of the season. They started out good, after a week or two, things degraded, and it sucks. But I'm still gona cheer on.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:23 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice31 View Post
How is the bullsh*t. Im asking you some intellectual questions, clearly you are not up to task of answering simple questions.

We all want the Habs to be the best, so why dont you take a step back and realize that we aint as good as we think we are.
Well, you got the awnser you deserved, IT IS a BS post...

You're not asking if we think the Habs are mediocre, you're asking how come they are...

how about they're not ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:40 AM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Well, you got the awnser you deserved, IT IS a BS post...

You're not asking if we think the Habs are mediocre, you're asking how come they are...

how about they're not ?
It depends on how you define mediocrity. If work ethic and effort is in that definition, then we're clearly mediocre.

I've had enough of you fans who keep quoting our record as if it's the symbol of success. The bottom line is this team doesn't perform ANYWHERE near the level it should. Now that we've finally seen that level (Tuesday's game) we know that the previous 12 games and tonight's were NOWHERE near it. It's going to be the measuring stick for the rest of the season.

A team with the much skill and depth should be winning games nightly. And the fact that we aren't, not because of poor goaltending, not because of injuries, not because of scoring slumps, but because of a LACK OF WORK ETHIC, to me, is quite pathetic. And you're sadly mistaken if you think THAT doesn't make us mediocre.

Put two of Tuesday's games in a row, then we have a different story...

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:03 AM
ToysInTheAttic

I would question the skill and depth this team is supposed to have. Other teams are depending on youth, and are faster and more productive this year.

This team is fast, but only as fast as the veteran players. Koivu, Kovy, Lang, and Tanguay are super veterans, but when you add players like Begin, Dandy, Brisebois, and a player like Laraque who is being totally misused, then this team has big problems.

This team needs a few more young players in this years NHL if they are to make the playoffs let alone make a run for the Cup.

Old
11-14-2008, 02:17 AM
brownman*

I need a Budd Dwyer gif again

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:26 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
It depends on how you define mediocrity. If work ethic and effort is in that definition, then we're clearly mediocre.

I've had enough of you fans who keep quoting our record as if it's the symbol of success. The bottom line is this team doesn't perform ANYWHERE near the level it should. Now that we've finally seen that level (Tuesday's game) we know that the previous 12 games and tonight's were NOWHERE near it. It's going to be the measuring stick for the rest of the season.

A team with the much skill and depth should be winning games nightly. And the fact that we aren't, not because of poor goaltending, not because of injuries, not because of scoring slumps, but because of a LACK OF WORK ETHIC, to me, is quite pathetic. And you're sadly mistaken if you think THAT doesn't make us mediocre.

Put two of Tuesday's games in a row, then we have a different story...
So, there's nothing to a hockey game but work ethic ?

Old
11-14-2008, 02:34 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
So, there's nothing to a hockey game but work ethic ?
Correct/

You will only get out of it what you put into it.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:37 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Correct/

You will only get out of it what you put into it.
lol

Should have worked harder, I would be a former NHL player by now...

Old
11-14-2008, 02:39 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
lol

Should have worked harder, I would be a former NHL player by now...
So what are you trying to prove here? You will never win anything significant unless your skilled(and unskilled) players give it their all. That is fact.

Old
11-14-2008, 02:42 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
So what are you trying to prove here? You will never win anything significant unless your skilled(and unskilled) players give it their all. That is fact.
think it's pretty obvious, I'll even awnser with a question : if the only thing that matter is work ethic, how come none of us on HF are (former) NHLers ?

Old
11-14-2008, 02:44 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
think it's pretty obvious, I'll even awnser with a question : if the only thing that matter is work ethic, how come none of us on HF are (former) NHLers ?
Because you didn't work hard enough.

Old
11-14-2008, 02:46 AM
TheCH*

How about this. Are you satisfied with the habs work ethic?

If your answer is no, then we are wasting our time here because that is my point. If your answer is yes, then your standards are far to low.

We have all the tools, one thing lacking is the effort. Combine our tools with the leafs work ethic, you've got a cup contender.

Old
11-14-2008, 03:29 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

If your answer is no, then we are wasting our time here because that is my point. If your answer is yes, then your standards are far to low.

We have all the tools, one thing lacking is the effort. Combine our tools with the leafs work ethic, you've got a cup contender.

Partially, I don't think anyone could question the work ethic of guys like Bouillon, Gorges, Lapierre, Dandeneault even, Plekanec, Koivu, Tanguay, and maybe some others.

we do, we really do ?

one thing, really ? so, if that's the only thing missing, does that mean that our PP isnt as good as last year cause the players are working as hard on the PP ?

Old
11-14-2008, 03:34 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

By the way, you're contradicting yourself here... it's all about work-ethic, and yet, the Leafs are NOT on top in the east...

Old
11-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I hate the way we react to intimidation.. really i think and it seems 1 player wont make a difference.. we need actually a player than can play a role within the first 3 lines..

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Also, don't forget that if we don't win the cup this year, it will be the first ever decade that the Habs don't win at least a cup...
The last year of the decade is 2010, not 2009.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote