HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2008-09 - Kings Juniors (CHL) and College Prospects Update Thread

Old
11-13-2008, 02:42 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

vCash: 500
#1 on THN's Prospect Hot List this week is...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/19819-.html

1. Colten Teubert, D Regina Pats (WHL): Expect Teubert to make a serious run at a spot on L.A.s blueline next year. Hes already rock-solid physically, but has taken this year in junior to up his game in other categories. His 18 points in 21 games is just three off his season total from last year and his plus/minus is up 24 points to plus-16. Drafted 13th overall by Los Angeles in 2008.

- T

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
mysteryman

Cool....we not only have the next Ray Bourque in Doughty, but the next Pronger too.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:53 PM
hangons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
Cool....we not only have the next Ray Bourque in Doughty, but the next Pronger too.
I think Teubert will be more like Jay Wells...

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 02:56 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/19819-.html

1. Colten Teubert, D – Regina Pats (WHL): Expect Teubert to make a serious run at a spot on L.A.’s blueline next year. He’s already rock-solid physically, but has taken this year in junior to up his game in other categories. His 18 points in 21 games is just three off his season total from last year and his plus/minus is up 24 points to plus-16. Drafted 13th overall by Los Angeles in 2008.

- T
wow, he's really stepping it up so far this year. hopefully he can keep it up through the season.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2008, 09:37 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
And the kid Hickey is compared to Nieds, and we have our own JMFJ not a bad top 4

Doughty-JJ
Hickey-Teubert
Quincey-Greene
Voinov

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Captain Ron

I find this kind of amusing....Teubert is suppose to be the Kings "defensive" defenseman of the future.......Hickey is suppose to be the Kings "offensive" defenseman of the future.....

Teubert

GP:22 G:8 A:10 PTS:18 +/-: +15

Hickey

GP:15 G:2 A:5 Pts:7 +/-: +7

I know they are "only stats".....but it is a concern that Thomas' offensive prowess has gradually tailed off since being drafted.....If he is having a hard time getting points against 16-19 year old kids
then how much harder will it be to put up points in the NHL?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:04 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangons View Post
I think Teubert will be more like Jay Wells...
God, I hope not.

Jay Wells couldn't complete a 10-foot pass if his beard depended on it. Tough as hell, but no puck skills what so ever.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 07:53 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I find this kind of amusing....Teubert is suppose to be the Kings "defensive" defenseman of the future.......Hickey is suppose to be the Kings "offensive" defenseman of the future.....

Teubert

GP:22 G:8 A:10 PTS:18 +/-: +15

Hickey

GP:15 G:2 A:5 Pts:7 +/-: +7

I know they are "only stats".....but it is a concern that Thomas' offensive prowess has gradually tailed off since being drafted.....If he is having a hard time getting points against 16-19 year old kids
then how much harder will it be to put up points in the NHL?
you also have to remember Hickey is on a God awful team

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
you also have to remember Hickey is on a God awful team
Moosejaw has one of the worst records in the entire WHL.....yet they have 5 defensemen with more points than Hickey.

A good player will get his points regardless of how good or bad the team is.......

Old
11-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
Moosejaw has one of the worst records in the entire WHL.....yet they have 5 defensemen with more points than Hickey.

A good player will get his points regardless of how good or bad the team is.......
I'm not disagreeing with you but I like to think that Hickey knows he can control the puck well and make great passes. I'm hoping he's actively trying to work on becoming more defensively sound at the sacrifice of his offensive numbers. We do have to remember that he was the last defenseman cut and Teubert was the first. Obviously that means nothing about their long term potential ... just pointing it out.

And just so you know I've only seen a few you tube clips and have never seen him play. I'm basing this entirely on speculation.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you but I like to think that Hickey knows he can control the puck well and make great passes. I'm hoping he's actively trying to work on becoming more defensively sound at the sacrifice of his offensive numbers. We do have to remember that he was the last defenseman cut and Teubert was the first. Obviously that means nothing about their long term potential ... just pointing it out.

And just so you know I've only seen a few you tube clips and have never seen him play. I'm basing this entirely on speculation.
I actually have no problem with Hickey working of the defensive side of his game....but not at the expense of his offense (his #1 asset). Because I would bet you that if in his draft year Hickey was putting up the kind of numbers he is this year (so far) he would not even be considered for the first round....let alone the top 10. Being well rounded is one thing....but his offense still needs to be his #1 priority, because with his size (or lack thereof) he is not going to break into the NHL being a defense first kind of guy.

Old
11-14-2008, 11:22 AM
lakings41

Quote:
I actually have no problem with Hickey working of the defensive side of his game....but not at the expense of his offense (his #1 asset). Because I would bet you that if in his draft year Hickey was putting up the kind of numbers he is this year (so far) he would not even be considered for the first round....let alone the top 10. Being well rounded is one thing....but his offense still needs to be his #1 priority, because with his size (or lack thereof) he is not going to break into the NHL being a defense first kind of guy.
I honestly thought Hickey looked lights out in camp. He also had a great pre-season. I could give a **** what he does in Seattle. His motivation level can't be the same at least this early. I'm sure he'll be ready for us next season or after one season in Manchester. He's very fluid and his hockey sense is similar to Doughty's in my opinion.

I still would have rather had Voracek on draft day but I still like Hickey!

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
That's an interesting philosophy ... is it better to excel in one area and be somewhat below average in another or is it better to be a little above average across the board? Would you rather have two Brad Stuarts paired or a Rafalski and a Commodore paired? Or is it more specific to the team needs at the time? I don't know, and I'll definitely think about it.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 06:51 PM
T2M

My suspicion is that Hickey will be playing elsewhere after the WJCs, and then we'll get a much better gauge on his offensive abilities. We also have to remember that we were worried about his production last year until he got into the playoffs and was about as dominant as a defenseman can get, especially on a bum ankle. There are things about Hickey that make you love him that don't show up nightly on the scoresheet. Now that he's looking to be a component of our future second pairing, I don't have any worries about him. If he was supposed to be the saviour of our defense instead of a regular contributor, I might be more concerned.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 06:57 PM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
I honestly thought Hickey looked lights out in camp. He also had a great pre-season. I could give a **** what he does in Seattle. His motivation level can't be the same at least this early. I'm sure he'll be ready for us next season or after one season in Manchester. He's very fluid and his hockey sense is similar to Doughty's in my opinion.
Totally agree. I've seen Hickey many times, and his skating and hockey sense are exceptional. DL loves talking about it, and I doubt he'd draft Hickey at 4 if he didn't feel he had a high hockey IQ. I'm looking forward to the WJC this year. I hope to see Canada pair up Teubert with Hickey. They are both WHL guys, are left shot-right shot, complimentary styles, and have the talent to be Canada's first or second pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
My suspicion is that Hickey will be playing elsewhere after the WJCs, and then we'll get a much better gauge on his offensive abilities. We also have to remember that we were worried about his production last year until he got into the playoffs and was about as dominant as a defenseman can get, especially on a bum ankle. There are things about Hickey that make you love him that don't show up nightly on the scoresheet. Now that he's looking to be a component of our future second pairing, I don't have any worries about him. If he was supposed to be the saviour of our defense instead of a regular contributor, I might be more concerned.
Couldn't have put it better myself, excellent post. I don't have the same suspicion of an impending trade, but I do have that hope. The T-Birds have been playing better lately, so they might try to bring a couple of players in to bolster the lineup and go for broke.

Last edited by deano: 11-14-2008 at 07:06 PM.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 07:21 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
Couldn't have put it better myself, excellent post. I don't have the same suspicion of an impending trade, but I do have that hope. The T-Birds have been playing better lately, so they might try to bring a couple of players in to bolster the lineup and go for broke.
If they're not doing well by the end of the WJC's they'll cut Hickey and run. It happens every year in junior. Good players on bad teams get traded to contenders for picks and prospects to the point that one team looks unfairly stacked. I just hope Hickey is part of that unfair stacking this year.

Last edited by T2M: 11-14-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: My own grammar annoying me was.
T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:41 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Jones stops 22/23 shots, improves to 6-0-0 this month

Old
11-15-2008, 01:30 AM
hangons

Hickey picked up his game tonight with Tuebert in town... Number one star with two goals... Colten with a fight...

http://whl.ca/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1005491

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:53 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Jones stops 11/12 shots, improves to 7-0-0 this month 14-2-1 overall. Teubert with a +2 in the 2-1 win

Old
11-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Jones stops 11/12 shots, improves to 7-0-0 this month 14-2-1 overall. Teubert with a +2 in the 2-1 win
Notice Rowat back in goal - unlike the loss vs. Seattle.
Rowat now 8-1-1, 2.60, .907

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:58 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
What is your analysis of Rowat? Does this kid have NHL potential because what i read and how his stats look, its some what impressive.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 05:35 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Loktionov Update

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...f-524bc0ff7c12

"The five-foot-11, 190-pound centre was Windsor's top choice in the Canadian Hockey League import draft and from the moment he arrived in town, amazing has proven an apt descriptive to apply to Loktionov.

In 17 games, he's registered six goals and 12 assists, tied for third among Ontario Hockey League rookies, and shows a plus-four rating.

"He has natural offensive ability," Boughner said. "He can go through traffic at high speed with the puck. He sort of slows the game down to his pace.

"He's a point a game guy right now and I think it's only going to get better. We've got a 65 to possibly 80-point guy in his first year in the OHL. He's a heck of a player."

The Kings signed Loktionov to a three-year contract in August and Emerson saw similar traits from the moment the kid arrived in Hollywood.

"He came to L.A. early in August and just practised with the pros," Emerson said. "His ability and his skill set are at such a high end, he fit right in. "

Old
11-18-2008, 05:54 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...f-524bc0ff7c12

"The five-foot-11, 190-pound centre was Windsor's top choice in the Canadian Hockey League import draft and from the moment he arrived in town, amazing has proven an apt descriptive to apply to Loktionov.

In 17 games, he's registered six goals and 12 assists, tied for third among Ontario Hockey League rookies, and shows a plus-four rating.

"He has natural offensive ability," Boughner said. "He can go through traffic at high speed with the puck. He sort of slows the game down to his pace.

"He's a point a game guy right now and I think it's only going to get better. We've got a 65 to possibly 80-point guy in his first year in the OHL. He's a heck of a player."

The Kings signed Loktionov to a three-year contract in August and Emerson saw similar traits from the moment the kid arrived in Hollywood.

"He came to L.A. early in August and just practised with the pros," Emerson said. "His ability and his skill set are at such a high end, he fit right in. "
How do you pronounce that exactly

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 06:00 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post

As far as Loktionov... if deano is right about his team-first focus and his point production continues on this torrid pace, it certainly makes him a promising prospect to make the jump over to the AHL as soon as he's eligible.

- T

Old
11-19-2008, 09:50 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
byflugnier

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote