HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

POLL: BGL... useful? or not? or too soon to say?

View Poll Results: BGL... useful? a waste of space? or too soon to say?
Useful 31 21.68%
Waste of space 55 38.46%
Too soon to say 57 39.86%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
yeah lets blame BGL for a 6-1 loss tonight. Always looking for a scapegoat and of course we cant blame our "stars".
I'm a fan of BGL, I'll be the first to defend and in no way is the loss his fault tonight. But, I was extremely disappointed in him.

When your team gets pushed around and mistreated like we were tonight, you expect your enforcer along with Lappy, to start crap.
That's part of their role, when we're down 4-0 and it feels like the game is pretty much out of reach, then this becomes their ONLY role.
The 4th line is not the one that'll score 2-3Goals, they won't even be on the ice that often. So when they do step on, they don't have to be careful defensively, they don't have to try to do a strong forecheck, they don't even have to be disciplined anymore, what they have to do is start crap.

Especially after the way Lucic not only beat our biggest D, but humiliated him by cheering as he did. Not a response from BGL.
I don't care what he does, if he gets refused for a fight, then he should target one of their best players, or start pushing after the whistle, anything that can show them that there will be rematches.

I totally agree with him when he says he has to be disciplined. But when you're already losing badly, being disciplined is not an issue anymore.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:47 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office View Post
I look at the Ottawa game and see it as proof that BGL is useful.

He didn't even have to drop the gloves but he kept the Sens in line. Yes Rutuu threw the elbow but he's a dirty rat who'll never answer the bell. Think back to last season, Chris Neil would run around acting like he owned the place and the only guy we figured that could really step up and calm Neil down was Komisarek, but you don't want him in the box for 5 mins.

Tuesday night, Neil was invisible. No big hits, no yapping and of course he refused to go with BGL. The Habs felt like the bigger stronger team, and it was a pleasant night for everyone.

BGL isn't going to be an impact player in a direct way. He's an insurance policy. He insure peace of mind for our players and insures that other teams don't run around and act recklessly around us.

Having BGL makes the Habs a better team, not on paper, but by keeping the opposition in check and making the Habs player feel secure.
I agree with this...what BGL brings is an intangible. I can't say I have seen a game yet this year where the HABS have been bullied, and I don't mean pushed around physically but bullied. No one has gone after ANY of our star players in really dirty ways from what I can recall (albeit A Kost got clobbered, but that was a "clean" hit). Lets just say I doubt we are going to see any thing really dirty happen to our players all year, especially if Carbo figures out how to let the pitbull off his leash, all riled up. I don't think Carbo likes the idea of a team pitbull, but hopefully he'll warm up to it.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:54 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Bruins fan here:

I come in peace!!

My take on Laraque (from before the CH) is that he is a very, very good fighter, but not a great enforcer. IMO, to be a good enforcer, you need to get an instigator from time to time AND not just fight heavies. Rather, you need to go out there and get the instigator and fight a guy who is truly pissing off your team and possibly taking liberties with your players.

Now if BGL would from time to time snap and start unloading on some punk who deserved it, then I would be scared ****less of him. However, when I think of BGL I think of the "Good Luck" clip from his days with the Coyotes. Take tonight for example, he can hack Lucic all he wants but Lucic knows he wont take the instigator. Now if he were to instigate Lucic, it would make a lot of us take a step back.

I'll use Shawn Thornton as an example. He is not the size of Laraque and not as good of a fighter but I have been very pleased with his ability to enforce. He has gone after Ott and Bass not because they are heavies, but because they did something HE thought was not right. That, IMO is what it takes to be an enforcer.
BGL only wants to protect and fights other goons. The way he kept asking Lucic and Thornton like an idiot: "hey you wanna fight? eh? eh?". The other guys just have to say no and nothing happens. But that's not how that works.

BGL needs to be a terror, he needs to be start **** when things go bad. Because his role should be one of INTIMIDATION. He shouldn't care about penalties, we can live with that. I've seen guys like Wendel Clark cross checking Patrick Roy then Habs players would jump Clark, fight would ensue and at the end of it it's the Habs that took the most penalties. More importantly the Leafs were back in the game, they had fire after that.

This is the kind of things he should do:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIA9a...eature=related

Then there would be people all over the place and guys like Lucic would have no choice but to fight him. And he shouldn't choose his guys too. This is not boxing or wrestling. You take the guy that's the closest to you.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:57 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
BGL did his job tonight. When Lucy cheapshotted Kovy Carbo sent him out to deal with him. He offered the fight but Lucy backed down. Kovalev went relatively unmolested after that.
Unfortunately because of the instigator rule BGL can't just mug someone. Carbo might have to take the leash of him and deal with a couple instigator penalties. It may put us in a small hole for a couple minutes but it may be worth it.
Carbo still learning how to use his pitbull, give it time.
When you want to fight, you don't ask for it you just do it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:01 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

BGL now plays for a team where the coach said publicly (last year) he wasnt interested in having an enforcer...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:59 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
in games like that we need BGL to be disturber and hit to kill..... also he has to find a way to fight.. no try to do his genttleman and ask..

Lucic owns Komi on a fight, makes is arrogant sob.. in a 6-1 lead... then few minutes after bgl is put on the ice and here is what happens :

BGL, ''sorry mister Thornton, would you like to fight..? I am very very mad. (with a gentle tone)''

Thornton, ''no i am sorry my friend i dont feel very good right now, another time maybe. actually i would like to make it 7-1 ''

BGL, ''ok man, take it easy''

story ends there...

something is wrong here..

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 07:15 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

He's an enforcer who only fights by invitation. Everything Pittsburgh fans told you when you got him.

The Expert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:22 AM
la25ecoupe

If George can't fight, can he hard bodycheck anybody? I never see him do that.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:23 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Jeez guysÖHe has 3 fights this year already. He could realistically finish the season with 20, which is a lot. Despite the fact that we lost last night and Komisarek lost a fight, Iíve noticed that other teams are way tamer against us. You donít see random scrubs jumping Kostitsyn or anything like that.

In the end, I donít think Laraque jumping and pounding the hell out of someone would make a difference. On the other hand, if he goes with someone willing, and wins, THAT will hurt the other team and fire us up.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:31 AM
FrankMTL

I think Laraque is doing his job pretty well. He's not all there physically yet, but you can see that in most games, we're not getting roughed up as much as we do normally. Neil was pretty much doing nothing against the habs the other night...and that was the first time in a LONNNG time that I had seen that.

I was dissapointed that he didn't fight Lucic last night, but now that Lucie has gotten fighting Komisarek out of the system, maybe he will want to take on a better fighter.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:32 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Guaranteed he fights Saturday.
well I hope he just doesnt talkl to the guy. He IMO needs to be more intense. First bad one was Sauer. So what he did not want to fight. Make him regret with out being over the edge, his action. Last night, he could had made Lucid cry but I guess he did not want to go. So ths guys freelance all night long

Come on BGL, put some tuffness and take the right guys out.

one question, if the guy keeps his glove, it's only 2 min?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Bluebillion

Our whole team was the problem VS Boston, defence, Offense, Turnovers -_-

Bluebillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:36 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebillion View Post
Our whole team was the problem VS Boston, defence, Offense, Turnovers -_-
I watch from time to time 110%(rely depend who is on) and they had a good point. They said that the defence was wa to easy past and others team are getting a free pass at Price. I AGREE

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Darz

I've said it before and I will say it again.

Laraque value or usefullness to the habs will come during the playoffs!

The best of seven wars is what Gainey brought it Laraque for.

11-14-2008, 08:58 AM
goliath5151

Pens fan here.

Dont expect BGL's playing style to change. It wont. Its not a matter of the coaching staff having him on a small leash.

BGL is not an enforcer. Period. Hes a 4th liner who happens to be an incredible fighter. He worries more about his actual play and tries not to take penalties. He only fights when he absolutely has to. He still intimidates other player, but not nearly as much as if he played like a true enforcer.

We were excited when we first got him, but by the end we were dissapointed. Thats why we got Goddard. Isnt as good a fighter, of course, but he fights way more often, and gives way more emotion each game.

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
Its a tough call, not to mention that nobody wants to fight him.
I think that's the biggest problem. I wish they had a stat for how many times a player gets turned down to fight!!! He's gotta take matters into his own hands and initiate a fight. Take the instigator...

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Definately not but I am overreacting. For me a guy who keeps analysing the situation day in and day out and who openly admits hating what he does, will not be of any help. Sure, some might say, well it's intelligent of him to not put his team in bad situations....still, there has to be a middle out of him and Laraque's keep analyzing and talking but doesn't do the job.

But most of all....it's not even about fighting. It's about disrupting the stars on the other side. It's about going in front of the goalie and stomp on his toes, it's about good bodychecks.....He's not doing ANY of that. He keeps saying that he can't fight Ruutuu, can't fight anybody in this league 'cause they're alllllll too small for him. Fine, don't fight them. But do what they do to our players, attack their goalies, their stars, be intimidating.....As of now, seems to me that he can't and won't meet the expectations....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Tortue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again.

Laraque value or usefullness to the habs will come during the playoffs!

The best of seven wars is what Gainey brought it Laraque for.
Laraque won't even be dressed come playoff time. He skates so slow he's always seconds late on the play so he brings absolutely nothing.

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Definately not but I am overreacting. For me a guy who keeps analysing the situation day in and day out and who openly admits hating what he does, will not be of any help. Sure, some might say, well it's intelligent of him to not put his team in bad situations....still, there has to be a middle out of him and Laraque's keep analyzing and talking but doesn't do the job.

But most of all....it's not even about fighting. It's about disrupting the stars on the other side. It's about going in front of the goalie and stomp on his toes, it's about good bodychecks.....He's not doing ANY of that. He keeps saying that he can't fight Ruutuu, can't fight anybody in this league 'cause they're alllllll too small for him. Fine, don't fight them. But do what they do to our players, attack their goalies, their stars, be intimidating.....As of now, seems to me that he can't and won't meet the expectations....
Pretty much how I feel.

I voted 'waste of space' because at the moment that's what he is. He is a liability right now any time he is on the ice. Lapierre, Begin and Dandenault might not be the most skilled players around but at least they skate and play hard and get involved in the play. I find it hard to remember even five times that Laraque has done something to contribute. Go hit someone at least Georges...

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortue View Post
Laraque won't even be dressed come playoff time. He skates so slow he's always seconds late on the play so he brings absolutely nothing.
He played 15 playoff games with the Penguins last year.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Speaking as an outsider, Brian McGrattan had his moments but for the most part, he was a waste because he couldn't play a regular shift.

He couldn't even hit consistently because he wasn't fast enough.

I'm starting to question the utility of enforcers who simply fight other enforcers. With the amount of speed in the game now, you pretty much need 4 lines of guys who can skate and compete.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:31 AM
habfan4

I've been a fan of, and defended BGL since his arrival, but I wasn't entirely pleased with what I saw from him last night. At the mid point of the 3rd, in a game in which his team was manhandled, Shawn Thornton doesn't get to decline an invitation from BGL. Laraque should have made it clear to Thornton that he either drops the gloves or BGL takes a run at one of his teammates and then he drops the gloves.

I'd also be curious to know how Laraque feels about Lucic's antics after his fight with Komi, for a guy who rigidly adheres to "the code" he can't be happy. We shouldn't have to wait long to find out, I think Laraque will set the tone very early on next Saturday.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:35 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I've been a fan of, and defended BGL since his arrival, but I wasn't entirely pleased with what I saw from him last night. At the mid point of the 3rd, in a game in which his team was manhandled, Shawn Thornton doesn't get to decline an invitation from BGL. Laraque should have made it clear to Thornton that he either drops the gloves or BGL takes a run at one of his teammates and then he drops the gloves.

I'd also be curious to know how Laraque feels about Lucic's antics after his fight with Komi, for a guy who rigidly adheres to "the code" he can't be happy. We shouldn't have to wait long to find out, I think Laraque will set the tone very early on next Saturday.
what is frustrating is that now he's backed into a corner and has to. He doesn't have to, but if he doesn't, he's leaving himself wide open to the why bother type of questions, as to signing him and it's a pain in th ebutt that nobody needs.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Speaking as an outsider, Brian McGrattan had his moments but for the most part, he was a waste because he couldn't play a regular shift.

He couldn't even hit consistently because he wasn't fast enough.

I'm starting to question the utility of enforcers who simply fight other enforcers. With the amount of speed in the game now, you pretty much need 4 lines of guys who can skate and compete.
Not a bad take....hoping he will become more complete and less just an enforcer....would suck to realize that he might not be after giving him 1.7 for 3 years though......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:39 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not a bad take....hoping he will become more complete and less just an enforcer....would suck to realize that he might not be after giving him 1.7 for 3 years though......
Well, Laraque is probably a better player than Gratts, not sure how much.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote