HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POLL: BGL... useful? or not? or too soon to say?

View Poll Results: BGL... useful? a waste of space? or too soon to say?
Useful 31 21.68%
Waste of space 55 38.46%
Too soon to say 57 39.86%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-14-2008, 09:43 AM
HotPie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
what is frustrating is that now he's backed into a corner and has to. He doesn't have to, but if he doesn't, he's leaving himself wide open to the why bother type of questions, as to signing him and it's a pain in th ebutt that nobody needs.
I agree, but it's his fault regardless. Games like last night are the reason we signed Georges, and he was a complete no show. He's too slow to keep up with the play and his linemates, he rarely if ever enforces...and when he does it's because the opposing enforcer was kind enough to acquiesce to his nice, kind offer to have a go.

He's a complete waste of space at the moment. I was against signing an enforcer during the off season, and I convinced myself to like Laraque, but we're honestly a better team without him. Last night was a flagrant example of Bruins players getting away with whatever the hell they wanted, and BGL did absolutely nothing. Isn't that what you're here for Georges? Isn't that why we ****ing signed you? If you're not going to do your job, GTFO.

I have at least enough faith in Carbo (which is starting to become less and less) to know that his ass is probably going to be benched for the next couple of games, thank god. Then again, we're playing Philly so probably not...

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

OP here...

Interesting debate on the thread...

Its clear that BGL has a league-wide reputation as a nice, kind, civilized, lovable and hounourable man... and I say "great for him". We definitely need more nice guys in the world.

but...

It would be MUCH more interesting if he could skate FAST and MEAN and hit HARD with a terrifying crazed-look in his eyes that said

"... just try and stop me and I guarantee that you'll be spitting out your bloodied front teeth on the ice"

Now THAT would be intimidating

Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I don't understand how this guy managed to get 29 points one year with Edmonton. I don't think there's a slower player in the league now that Jason Allison is gone. :p

I agree with others that he needs to start beating on people whether they want to or not. Then you'll have people who are scared (which is what you need). Right now, even I wouldn't be scared of him.

I was actually excited by the signing because I was under the impression he could play.
I voted 'too early to tell', but if he doesn't turn things around soon, I'll have to say he's a big bag of useless.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

I say admit to a mistake and politely cut him loose (a trade or waivers or a buy out)

and call-up a hockey player from the farm that can at least play games with emotion, skate fast, and be an offensive threat (I'll leave the debate as to which player to someone else)

Its a ruthless tactic

but the team needs something badly

Last edited by Born in 1909: 11-14-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
I say admit to a mistake and politely cut him loose (a trade or a buy out)

and call-up a hockey player from the farm that can at least play games with emotion, skate fast, and be an offensive threat (I'll leave the debate as to which player to someone else)

Its a ruthless tactic

but the team needs something badly
I wouldn't be against it.

I really don't know who Laraque thinks he is, because without the threat of him going ballistic at any moment, he is utterly useless. We need a Gino.

I wanted Weller in the offseason. Old school hockey, please. Not after-school hockey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1zaZe_qP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ym7Ii7lWY4

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
what is frustrating is that now he's backed into a corner and has to. He doesn't have to, but if he doesn't, he's leaving himself wide open to the why bother type of questions, as to signing him and it's a pain in th ebutt that nobody needs.
In his short injury riddled stint with the Habs, I think the big guy has done as well as he could, but I also think there's room for improvement. My biggest beef with last night is that it was exactly the type of game we picked him up for and he let his archaic "code" (which few others seem to adhere to) get in the way of sending a message that desperately needs to be sent.

If he comes out and creates a stir or even simply calms things down in the next match against the B's, I'll be pleased.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
terreur

The way I see it, the Habs don't need Laraque, because we need GOOD players, with GRIT. We need to add toughness on our top 9. The only forwards that play a tough game are Kostopoulos and Begin...

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again.

Laraque value or usefullness to the habs will come during the playoffs!

The best of seven wars is what Gainey brought it Laraque for.
granted, so in the mean time, any team can put us where they want like rag dolls Before his usage for the playoff, we have to get their. Not panic after this lost but at the same time if the habs can catch fire, teams like Boston, Philly(big physical teams) will be waiting like wolfs and well,I guess this would make the hab the pray. not good.Something is missing and I can't get my finger(not a finger joke) on it.

We have a Nice top 9 but....Sorry for the Latendress lovers but I believe it's time to realized that he his not, I repeat not a power forward we has hab fan have been looking for this year. At some game you see glips of it but not every game. Higgins is not a power forward and neither is Sergei Kostitsyn. Every NHL team need a Morrow type of player. Who on the Habs can some what bring this?The fourth line has got a good mix of warriors and Lapierre(where has he been since that great game) to center them. On defense Markov and Komi is a great pair. Hamerlik and ???is a good pair. Bouillon with JG is a great skating pair but way to small of a pair.

My guess is bring a power-foward type of player and someone to play with Hammer not at the expanse of O'Byrne.

My suggestion:
Out in the west in Nashville where they could be looking for changes is Ryan Suter. Package bouillon with some depth.They would have the choice to keep him or not after this season. Possible or not?Reason. Good size, good shot ON THE POINT

Has to bring a bigger presence in the top 9,Higgins can't be the only tradable one. Something has got to give. I say Morrow but that a dream. Penner to expensive, Brown would be an other dream. Pisani could be a different look for the third line.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
No way does Nashville give up Ryan Suter. He's a great young d man.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Travis Moen

I said it when we signed Laraque, we don't need players like him. We need players like Kostopoulos or .... Lucic.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I think some people here didn't know how Laraque played.

He never was the guy that just jumps any little crapper and pounds him away. He never was a dirty enforcer.

I think he could do more but useless I highly doubt.
The Ottawa game is the best example. Neil usually comes here and starts crap everywhere. Now he knows he'd have to fight BGL if he did that, so what happens??..Neil is practically invisible.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
I said it when we signed Laraque, we don't need players like him. We need players like Kostopoulos or .... Lucic.
Well maybe next year when Gainey's visiting the big ugly goof orchard he can pluck a few Lucic's off the trees. I didn't think you could get certain players that way, but evidently you can.

As for me, I still like having a top 9 with all that talent. Call me crazy, but my opinion won't change with this slight shift in the direction of the winds.

As for the tired old 'pleasant invitation' bit, he sure didn't seem to give Fedoruk much of a chance to decline. Let's not be premature in thinking he won't get Lucy to answer the bell next game.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 11-14-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think some people here didn't know how Laraque played.

He never was the guy that just jumps any little crapper and pounds him away. He never was a dirty enforcer.

I think he could do more but useless I highly doubt.
The Ottawa game is the best example. Neil usually comes here and starts crap everywhere. Now he knows he'd have to fight BGL if he did that, so what happens??..Neil is practically invisible.
Just hope that the deal wasn't only about Neil 'cause if it was, it's paid a little too much for it. 'Cause honestly, the Fritz and Thornton fights might not be scaring a lot of real heavyweights throughout the league. Needless to say BGL needs a great fight soon to still prooves he can do it 'cause if not, even Neil won't be afraid of him.

But then who cares about Neil when Ruutu does the exact same thing? So the only guys who might be quieter will be small heavyweights like Neil. But now middleweights will take it from now on since George can't and won't do anything about it. But then the only guys we have in the "other" categories are Latendresse (who can't fight), Lapierre (who won't fight), Komisarek (who shouldn't fight) and Kostopoulos (who loses fights). We're really lucky that at least the smallest guy on the team can go at it and defend the biggest guys out there....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I haven't read this whole thread. I just think people who buy into the Enforcer Myth are out to lunch. Laraque can't fight everybody, and he provides no on-ice deterrant factor. Nobody could. So I never had those expectations for him, as it seems like some people did.

However I've liked our 4th line the last little while. Laraque does provide a body who can answer the bell, and he is a much better player and fighter than some of the question marks we've had there recently, be it Downey or a mis-cast Garth Murray. Tom Kostopolous can't fight everybody either. If we have a 4th line that can cycle the puck around a bit, hold the play in the offensive end, that's good, and I find that Laraque contributes to that. I like him more than I thought I would (so far).

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just hope that the deal wasn't only about Neil 'cause if it was, it's paid a little too much for it. 'Cause honestly, the Fritz and Thornton fights might not be scaring a lot of real heavyweights throughout the league. Needless to say BGL needs a great fight soon to still prooves he can do it 'cause if not, even Neil won't be afraid of him.

But then who cares about Neil when Ruutu does the exact same thing? So the only guys who might be quieter will be small heavyweights like Neil. But now middleweights will take it from now on since George can't and won't do anything about it. But then the only guys we have in the "other" categories are Latendresse (who can't fight), Lapierre (who won't fight), Komisarek (who shouldn't fight) and Kostopoulos (who loses fights). We're really lucky that at least the smallest guy on the team can go at it and defend the biggest guys out there....
Yea, but what did you expect exactly??..
That no one, on any team, would ever try/do something because BGL is with us??..
That's beyond ridiculous thinking. It's the same for every team with enforcers, mean or not.

You think players play differently when they face a team with enforcers??..Maybe 1-2 player on that team will play differently, but not all of them.

Avery will always be a pest, no matter the team he faces. Same with Tucker, Ruutu, etc.. Enforcer or not, that's the way they always play.

Laraque is not Rambo, he won't make everybody play differently on the opposing team. I do agree, he could be a bit meaner, especially when we're losing by a lot, but you can't expect Laraque to prevent every player from hitting or being dirty.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Tortue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I haven't read this whole thread. I just think people who buy into the Enforcer Myth are out to lunch. Laraque can't fight everybody, and he provides no on-ice deterrant factor. Nobody could. So I never had those expectations for him, as it seems like some people did.

However I've liked our 4th line the last little while. Laraque does provide a body who can answer the bell, and he is a much better player and fighter than some of the question marks we've had there recently, be it Downey or a mis-cast Garth Murray. Tom Kostopolous can't fight everybody either. If we have a 4th line that can cycle the puck around a bit, hold the play in the offensive end, that's good, and I find that Laraque contributes to that. I like him more than I thought I would (so far).
Sadly Murray brought more to the table than Laraque. He actually tried was not standing there 9/10 of the time. Never have I seen BGL help to get the puck out of our own zone. He's a liability there like no other. Even behind the other net he's not keeping the puck. A peewee could poke check it away and BGL won't be able to reach it again due to him being a snail.

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yea, but what did you expect exactly??..
That no one, on any team, would ever try/do something because BGL is with us??..
That's beyond ridiculous thinking. It's the same for every team with enforcers, mean or not.

You think players play differently when they face a team with enforcers??..Maybe 1-2 player on that team will play differently, but not all of them.

Avery will always be a pest, no matter the team he faces. Same with Tucker, Ruutu, etc.. Enforcer or not, that's the way they always play.

Laraque is not Rambo, he won't make everybody play differently on the opposing team. I do agree, he could be a bit meaner, especially when we're losing by a lot, but you can't expect Laraque to prevent every player from hitting or being dirty.
You are the one using Neil's behavior to explain how Laraque is important to the team. I'M saying that if it's the only thing that he does, well it's not worth it. Again, what I expect from Laraque? Of course he can't prevent things from happening, he's no Jojo Savard. Still, if somebody hits viciously one of our players,you pay him a visit, exactly like Laraque did yesterday with Lucic. If it still happening, you drop them or you do to the opponent what they are doing to us. You're hitting Kovy, I'll hit Savard. You fell on Price, I'll fall on Fernandez. Laraque needs to start to be proactive and stop just reacting to events....

But then as far as how the opponent will conduct themselves when they're facing the Habs well from Big George's mouth himself or something close to that "My presence will make my teamates feel much bigger, even when I'm not dressed" "We kept running the Habs all year last year but with me in this team, it won't happen". But then everything that had happened last year is still happening this year except....Neil. Reason why I said that it seems to me that so far, it might change, it was for Neil only....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:45 PM
kostitsyn1489

Our goalie gets hit 5 times a game with Laraque dressed. What does he bring exactly?

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Tortue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Our goalie gets hit 5 times a game with Laraque dressed. What does he bring exactly?
He coulda been hit 6 times. Thats what hes here for

Tortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
If people think Laraque was the problem tonight, they are delusional.
+ 9999999999999999999999

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
If you're talking about the Leafs game, that got us 2 PP goals. But yeah, stupid Laraque wouldn't beat up Blake & Grabovski

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:19 PM
OneSharpMarble

Someone said Gino!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZMwY5eNcDw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7gToCWrz3A&NR=1

George fights like this and alot of these little cowards sniping at our team wont even dress.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:29 PM
smon

Laraque isn't the reason the Canadiens lost. But unless he's going to start playing with an edge to his game, there really isn't much point to his so-called deterrence. I love that he can kick ass in fights. Really a usefull skill, even if he is so slow compared to his linemates. Now obviously, not everyone in the league will fight him, but he could at least hit somebody out there.

Honestly, he rarely even gets mixed up in scrums. Usually just grabs someone and stands there. Never starts anything, never gives anybody an extra shot, nothing like that. Frankly Komisarek and Lapierre play with more of an edge. Two regulars, and they play grittier than the enforcer. Not so good.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:32 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
He crushes Lucic's nose in the first period this is a very different game. The boys were totally out of this game from the get go. No jump and no heads in the game. That is when Laraque needs to crush a face or two and send a wake up call.

he either starts swinging or his season will end quickly.
Yeah, personally, I wouldn't mind if Laraque was a bit more agitating, maybe taking penalties here and there (get the other team 'feel' he's in the game), taking liberties at the other teams fragile players to get them out of their game.

Lucic hits Kovy from behind, i'm cool with that if BGL throws an elbow on Savard's chin. Eye for eye...

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
granted, so in the mean time, any team can put us where they want like rag dolls.
I have a feeling, if the habs won last night 6-1, you wouldn't feel the same way at 10-2-2.

It's one game.

This team is still a major player in the East, and WILL make the playoffs without breaking a sweat (they might not win the division or make the top four without breaking a sweat mind you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortue View Post
Laraque won't even be dressed come playoff time. He skates so slow he's always seconds late on the play so he brings absolutely nothing.
Again, if we win last night, you wouldn't be so worried. In a seven game, drag em out series, trust me, Laraque WILL play and be a difference.