HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boones take on last night game & excuses

Old
11-14-2008, 10:42 AM
johnnyboo

vCash: 500
Boones take on last night game & excuses

http://habsinsideout.com/boone/10888

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:51 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

I just can't stand when Carbo says: "I don't know... I just don't know why we played like this..."

WAKE UP! You're now in your 3rd year as a coach in the NHL! You're supposed to find ways to IMPROVE your team and MAKE THEM PAY THE PRICE.

Hell... If Carbonneau keeps it up and starts acting like he did back in 2006-2007, he's not going to last very long...

Oh, and letting Carey in the net for every 6 goals may be THE thing which will cost him his job in the long run... I'm not sure the players appreciated to see this.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Pascal

That's one of the best media pieces i've read on the Habs for a long time. He's DEAD ON on everything he mentions. Well done Mr. Boone.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:57 AM
crystal ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post

I just can't stand when Carbo says: "I don't know... I just don't know why we played like this..."

WAKE UP! You're now in your 3rd year as a coach in the NHL! You're supposed to find ways to IMPROVE your team and MAKE THEM PAY THE PRICE.

Hell... If Carbonneau keeps it up and starts acting like he did back in 2006-2007, he's not going to last very long...

Oh, and letting Carey in the net for every 6 goals may be THE thing which will cost him his job in the long run... I'm not sure the players appreciated to see this.
It makes me mad when Carbo says he doesn't know as well. But really, what is there to know? The players have talent, but they have to skate to make use of it, which they didn't. Whose fault is that? Carbo's because he didn't kick them in the butt and make them do it, or theirs because they didn't respond to the kick?

As for Carey staying in for six goals, the solution to that is for him and the team to stop allowing SIX GOALS! Problem solved. Sorry, but they can't whine at the coach when they play that way.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:04 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Carbonneau's post game comments embody why I never liked him as a coach.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
That's one of the best media pieces i've read on the Habs for a long time. He's DEAD ON on everything he mentions. Well done Mr. Boone.
I was going to say.....Am I the only one who thinks EXACTLY the same as Boone right now.... I could not have said it better.....probably because I'm not an anglophone...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:12 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Carbonneau's post game comments embody why I never liked him as a coach.
Carb is doing fine but some guys are out ther for their own stats. Bob has to take care of those contract. Sign them or ship them.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Guriken

Very good read indeed. I've some thoughts about why we look that bad when playing forechecking teams... It sounds cliche but our guys are afraid to pay the price, rarely first on the puck, they let the opposing player come first and then they try to get it back from him... Playing soft.. they should take Josh Gorges as example, calm doesn't panic, takes the hit and makes a good play.

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Shred

at we hired a policeman and got a secret agent.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
LyleOdelein

I don't know how many people here have coached competitive sports, but sometimes you don't know why your team loses a game like last night. Coming off a strong game, against your bitter rival, you think that they will come out and play hard and continue to work in both ends of the ice like last game in Ottawa. But, for some reason, the team plays without any desire and gets thumped.

I can't believe the tone of that guy's blog (and some replies to it) with regards to Carbo's answers. What answers could people possibly expect from Carbo?:

- To call out individually the players who played poorly (Markov, Kovalev, Price, Tanguay, Lang, Komi, Gorges, Hamr and A. Kost) in the public press?
- To rip the whole team in the public press.
- Should he say that they are clearly not a match for Boston's skill and toughness and imply that Gainey hasn't given him the tools to work with?
- Does he say that he was just couldn't compensate for the incredible strategies and tactics of Claude Julien?
- Launch into a detailed description of his team's strategy, and all the areas in which they didn't execute. Then give some possible adaptations he can implement for the team to improve?

Those are pretty much the only way that he could give a tangible answer to this question. None of them are good things to say (either because they would be dumb on Carbo's parts, or are flat out not true). Just because he doesn't give an answer to the media and everybody reading the press by extension, does not mean he does not have a plan on how to address the loss with his players. Maybe, he's just choosing not to do so publicly.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:35 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
I don't know how many people here have coached competitive sports, but sometimes you don't know why your team loses a game like last night. Coming off a strong game, against your bitter rival, you think that they will come out and play hard and continue to work in both ends of the ice like last game in Ottawa. But, for some reason, the team plays without any desire and gets thumped.

I can't believe the tone of that guy's blog (and some replies to it) with regards to Carbo's answers. What answers could people possibly expect from Carbo?:

- To call out individually the players who played poorly (Markov, Kovalev, Price, Tanguay, Lang, Komi, Gorges, Hamr and A. Kost) in the public press?
- To rip the whole team in the public press.
- Should he say that they are clearly not a match for Boston's skill and toughness and imply that Gainey hasn't given him the tools to work with?
- Does he say that he was just couldn't compensate for the incredible strategies and tactics of Claude Julien?
- Launch into a detailed description of his team's strategy, and all the areas in which they didn't execute. Then give some possible adaptations he can implement for the team to improve?

Those are pretty much the only way that he could give a tangible answer to this question. None of them are good things to say (either because they would be dumb on Carbo's parts, or are flat out not true). Just because he doesn't give an answer to the media and everybody reading the press by extension, does not mean he does not have a plan on how to address the loss with his players. Maybe, he's just choosing not to do so publicly.
Maybe he can say what's true?

"We lost because we mailed in our effort. We turned the puck over because we under-estimated the Bruins. We thought because of our talent we can make plays that aren't there. We took a team for granted which you should never do in the NHL. The forwards and defence have too wide of a gap between them, players need to support eachother. The biggest issue is pride, this team needs to wake up and play for themselves and the team. There needs to be some desire, we can't be a team that sits idly by and lets the other team taunt us, point at the scoreclock in two games and not respond with some kind of fire."

Old
11-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Carbo's arrogance make him belief that he has a plan and we have to stick to it. Doesn't seem to beleive in making any adjustment whatshoever since his plan is so good. Carbo clearly was arrogant as a player, is definately arrogant as a human-being, so I don't see why he wouldn't be an arrogant coach as well.

We keep hearing how the communication is still at a minimum despite what he was suppose to improve. But that to me is also a proof of his arrogance.

Do I want him out? Of course not, but he'll have to improve and fast would be appreciated. Still knowing that a coach might have 3 or 4 years behind a bench no matter what, he does have to show in a hurry that he can improve as a coach.

I still can't believe that we didn't make a move as to get Benoit Groulx to coach the Dogs. 'Cause clearly, since it was the good move to pick Price even though we had Theo in our ranks already, it would be somewhat nice to have a coach that might actually coach our team in the near future even with a guy like Carbo on board.

Old
11-14-2008, 11:53 AM
WeThreeKings

The thing that concerns me too, is we often hear interviews with our players.. like the Sergei one being the most recent, when asked if he wants to play with his brother. He just says Carbo makes the decisions and there's nothing he can do about it. I don't about you, but I want my players to come to the coach and tell them if they feel more comfortable and accomplished playing with someone else and at least having my coach humor them. It's a long season.

Old
11-14-2008, 12:29 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:

"We lost because we mailed in our effort. We turned the puck over because we under-estimated the Bruins. We thought because of our talent we can make plays that aren't there. We took a team for granted which you should never do in the NHL. The forwards and defence have too wide of a gap between them, players need to support eachother. The biggest issue is pride, this team needs to wake up and play for themselves and the team. There needs to be some desire, we can't be a team that sits idly by and lets the other team taunt us, point at the scoreclock in two games and not respond with some kind of fire."
I agree that this was the problem. Completely. He could say this. But if he does, does that make his team better? No. It just makes the guy interviewing him smile because tomorrow's article is "Carbonneau: Habs "biggest issue is pride." A giant media tsunami begins calling for everyone's head, Koivu is hassled for not leading the team as the captain (even though he's the only one who showed up last night), Kovalev is considered a huge part of the pride deficit, the kids are lambasted for not understanding what it means to play for the Canadiens, etc. It probably creates more problems than solutions if he addresses it this way at this point in the season. Sure, we as fans are satisfied, the media's happy, but does it solve the issue for the team?

I would be willing to be good money that there will be a closed door tirade and video session showing the lost battles. Players will have to answer as to why they weren't skating, not finishing checks or making the smart play. It doesn't have to happen in public though. Especially when the team is full of young guys still finding their way, it's probably better to address it as a team and then speak with the individuals that he expects more out of.

The media is an effective tool to use to motivate your players if used correctly. But, when a coach is too accustomed to using it to call out the team, it creates huge issues (see John Torterella).

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:42 PM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

This game just showed us how bad can the Habs be defensively... Their 4rth line scored many goals against our 3 best lines, there's a big problem. It seems the Habs are overconfident about their talent, so they lack at the efforts they put defensively.

Since the beginning of the season, we've been outshot many many times against non playoffs teams, this is one of the bad sign that our guys aren't doing their job in the defensive zone.

The Leafs and Bruins are hard working teams, put a lot of pressure on our defense and look at the results, they outplayed the Habs with this style of play. Of course, there's plenty of time to correct the situation, I hope our guys will show some character and come back with the fast hard working play style of last year.

SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:46 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
This game just showed us how bad can the Habs be defensively... Their 4rth line scored many goals against our 3 best lines, there's a big problem. It seems the Habs are overconfident about their talent, so they lack at the efforts they put defensively.

Since the beginning of the season, we've been outshot many many times against non playoffs teams, this is one of the bad sign that our guys aren't doing their job in the defensive zone.

The Leafs and Bruins are hard working teams, put a lot of pressure on our defense and look at the results, they outplayed the Habs with this style of play. Of course, there's plenty of time to correct the situation, I hope our guys will show some character and come back with the fast hard working play style of last year.
I think we were injured during training camp and it's taking time to get in game shape. Lang hardly had any training camp at all. the guys are trying to play their way into shape.

Our defense need another two-way top 4 guy. We've been saying it for years. Hamrlik's shoulder is injured and Markov has not looked good since before the playoffs last year. Our third pairing is too small. O'Byrne should be on the third pairing, not in the top 4. Komisarek has not looked right all year. He just seems to lack aggressiveness and strength. Looks hurt to me.

The lines up front aren't working.

Kovalev looks hurt. The Kostitsyns need to play together, it's obvious from the Islander game. Try Lang with Kovy. Etc. Shake it up.

Like a poster said, not enough size in the top 9, let alone top 6. If they aren't working and paying the price, or are too injured to do so, we are going to lose. This team needs to put some eggs in a basket and get a primo top 6 guy with size. Not an easy task and it probably won't happen. Size IS important, even Detroit has size in their top 9. Our overall team height is good, but those guys are all Dmen or grinders.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:56 PM
mcphee

Quote:

A coach has to be very careful how and when he calls out players. His reaction matters to you and I, and his tone is always debated, but all he has to worry about is how it affects the team. He was pretty honest after the Leaf game, has been through most of the post game pressers this year, but last night wasn't a night to say a damn word.

I understand your frustration, no one wants to see their team hammered, esp. against the B's, but ranting last night, in light of the up and down nature of the last 2 games, would, imo, start the team on a slippery slope of them tuning out the staff.

Make no mistake here, the staff that Gainey wants is in place. Pouting isn't going to attract the Gm's attn., so they have to work together.

Monday's practice and film session can't be repeated today. You can't praise/punish after every game. Right now, after a game like that, Carbo should step back, let the players sort out their problems.

They aren't fools. They know that they made foolish errors then compounded it by taking shortcuts trying to come back. They were like a football team behind 28 points throwing long every play.

As for Price, why should he be spared from an embarassment. The team stunk, and he was a big part of it, has been to an extent more than once, so he's on the team, suffer along with the rest of them. He was embarassed after the game, good.

You can't rant and rave because fans think you should. It's his call as to what tone is best used.

I know you have issues with lw/rw stuff and have players that you like and don't, which is fine,so do I, that's why we spend time here, to debate this stuff, but the media message a coach sends is unrelated to what we want to hear.

Traditionally, from what I've read, after a bad game, the 70's Habs would be cringing after a bad game, expecting Bowman to run a 2 hour practice, show them films etc. More often than not, he'd send them home early after breaking a light sweat.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
The thing that concerns me too, is we often hear interviews with our players.. like the Sergei one being the most recent, when asked if he wants to play with his brother. He just says Carbo makes the decisions and there's nothing he can do about it. I don't about you, but I want my players to come to the coach and tell them if they feel more comfortable and accomplished playing with someone else and at least having my coach humor them. It's a long season.
He also shouldn't forget their birthdays. Very important to at least send them a card, maybe bake them a cake...

Fact is, none of us here have ANY idea of how Carbonneau interacts with his players.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
He also shouldn't forget their birthdays. Very important to at least send them a card, maybe bake them a cake...

Fact is, none of us here have ANY idea of how Carbonneau interacts with his players.
Well we might have an idea when Guy, himself, admits that he has a lot of ways to go as far as communication is concerned. And then you keep hearing about ex-habs as far as the non-communication that is going on with him. Bégin is not playing for a while, admits that Carbo didn't talk to him at all and will then ask for a meeting....THEN we hear that they talked to each other.....seems to me Bégin ask to meet Carbo and not the other way around....

We might not know everything, but we might have a slight idea.....especially when it comes from Carbo himself.

Old
11-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Megaforce

I only watched a little bit near the end.

The only play that really bugged me was when Higgins was coming in with his linemates and floated a distant wrister at the net rather than trying to set up something more interesting.

After Higgins turned the puck over the Bruins came back and almost scored about four times in a short sequence. Higgins should have stayed with the plan rather than succumb to his hat trickitis.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post

I only watched the 2nd period and within 5 minutes, the Bruins took 3 or 4 good shots from the high slot...I couldn't believe the guy standing there (high slot) had so much time to take his shot! It tells me that the gap between our Ds and Fs is way too big!!!

Also, Markov did not look great during that 2nd period...and since last year, I feel that Markov performance kind of dictates the whole team performance.

Right now, they are not willing to pay the price. And the fact that the PP is not that great this year allows the opponents to take some "liberties" on our players...even though we signed George Laraque, I always felt that the best PP in the league gets you more respect than any enforcer in the lineup...

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:28 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I only watched a little bit near the end.

The only play that really bugged me was when Higgins was coming in with his linemates and floated a distant wrister at the net rather than trying to set up something more interesting.

After Higgins turned the puck over the Bruins came back and almost scored about four times in a short sequence. Higgins should have stayed with the plan rather than succumb to his hat trickitis.
I've got this thing when I watch, where you see a turnover , a bad play, failed clearing, and I'm saying, watch, it's going to cost them, and I figureatively hold my breath 'til the puck leaves the zone. Last night, it seemed that everything went in. Gorges play, Koivu's play, I know the Higgins play you mean, everything I noticed went in.

Sometimes you can't get away with anything. Higgins play was at the end of the shift where you're probably smarter to put it in the corner, down a few goals you flip it towards the net, or just aren't concentrating and ther you go.

Bouillon decided to take a few runs at guys one shift, leaves his position, bang, Yelle's 2nd goal.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well we might have an idea when Guy, himself, admits that he has a lot of ways to go as far as communication is concerned. And then you keep hearing about ex-habs as far as the non-communication that is going on with him. Bégin is not playing for a while, admits that Carbo didn't talk to him at all and will then ask for a meeting....THEN we hear that they talked to each other.....seems to me Bégin ask to meet Carbo and not the other way around....

We might not know everything, but we might have a slight idea.....especially when it comes from Carbo himself.
True that Carbo himself thought he had to improve his communication with players. Keep in mind that this was said after the the 2006-07 season, after the rookie coach's team failed to make the playoffs by a thin margin. About a year and half ago. Maybe he has changed his methods, maybe he realised he couldn't change, maybe he realised it could be counter-productive. Who knows? None of us, that's for sure.

As for the comments of ex-players, don't you think that has a limited value?

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
As for the comments of ex-players, don't you think that has a limited value?
Totally. And I would absolutely not take only those comments as a proof ...but when you start adding this to everything else, it makes sense that Carbo's still has a way to go. True again though that there's no way to know how it is as we speak.

Old
11-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Darz

Some of you guys really crack me up.

If the habs would of won last night, you would of been yelling from the roof tops how great everything is, but ONE LOSS and you have to run around like chickens with your heads cut off.

IT'S ONE GAME!!!!

I guarantee in late march this game will be NOTHING but a distant memory!!!!!!!