HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Stewart?

Old
11-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Rahan

vCash: 500
Call up Stewart?

I think it's time to call up Greg Stewart and give him his chance to play on our fourth line. From what I saw from him, he could be a great asset to have on our fourth line, and could replace Dandenault, and IMO he's a better hockey player than Begin is.

Right now, I think our fourth line isn't gritty enough, and Stewart could help with his tenacity and forecheck mastery.

I know we would have to make room for him since we already have guys in the pressbox, but that's Bob's business.

Now, what do you guys think?

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Pascal

with Kosto coming back and Begin waiting i don't see how it makes sense, tho i like the kid.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I think it's time to call up Greg Stewart and give him his chance to play on our fourth line. From what I saw from him, he could be a great asset to have on our fourth line, and could replace Dandenault, and IMO he's a better hockey player than Begin is.

Right now, I think our fourth line isn't gritty enough, and Stewart could help with his tenacity and forecheck mastery.

I know we would have to make room for him since we already have guys in the pressbox, but that's Bob's business.

From what you saw last year....don't know how he is this year, heard that he's fine but not exactly stellar. Though people who actually saw him this year could answer this more adequately.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Papa_Bear_21

http://http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1901

He's had some good tilts in the last 6 months.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:41 PM
limelight

I don't think you can call up Stewart at the moment. He hasn't been all that consistent in Hamilton at the moment.

limelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:43 PM
King Kovalev

I really dont see the point of calling up Stewart, its not like were losing beacause of 3 guys that play about 10 minutes or less a game. Everybody right now just needs to step up and play like we know they can. Right now only Koivu and Markov are playing up to their potential its just a matter of time before everybody else starts to get the ball rolling.

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Blades 0f Steel

This thread should be about calling up D'Agostini or Chipchura, if anything. If the top 9 were capable of making the smart plays & using their skill to their advantage, we wouldn't be talking about which 4th liner is more effective.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:25 PM
GNick42

Stewart can skate and lay out a few hits. I think we will see him, Chips and maybe Max Pax by playoff time. Trade a couple of guys for a good defenseman

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:32 PM
smon

Doesn't make much sense to call up Stewart when the fourth line is already so crowded. For what? To hit people? Kostopolous and/or Begin do that. Fight people? We've already got Laraque for that (leave aside the criticisms).

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 01:43 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

Unless somebody's going on IR, or being sent down, nobody's coming up. For now, as far as I can tell, Komisarek is scratched for Saturday but he hasn't been placed on IR, hence he's taking up a roster spot and nobody can move.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I would support this. A LOT.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:10 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Doesn't make much sense to call up Stewart when the fourth line is already so crowded. For what? To hit people? Kostopolous and/or Begin do that. Fight people? We've already got Laraque for that (leave aside the criticisms).

The Stewarts (Chipchura and Paciorettys) have heart. Something we are lacking. However, I see no immediate moves. Maybe, by Feb. Mar. Georges L. should be fringe player...not really doing anything taking regular shift. At least, any one of the above can make things happen

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:10 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post

I understand your point, as the Habs needs to get tougher but unless Gainey trade Dandeneault and Begin, I just cant see it happen.. I think Stewart will make the team next year though..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Beakermania*

1 Great NHL performance in the one game he has played...
He's an average AHLer... maybe a little better than that, but nothing special.

Greg Stewart is our most overrated prospect.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

I really hope to see Begin tomorrow. Man. After the Habs showing absolutely no heart last night, what better player to put into your lineup then Begin?

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:28 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

How many Bulldogs games did you see this year?

Old
11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
HCH

Quote:

Over-rated in what way?

No one expects him to score a bushel of goals. He is great skater, has good size, works hard and adds an element of grit. In other words, he is Mathieu Dandenault with grit or Steve Begin with some size and durability. What is so wrong with that.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Why bring up Stewart? Because he's the middleweight that we need.
If George won't fight the Lucic's and the Clarkson's of the NHL (even though these guys will generally go toe to toe with anyone), we need someone that can go with them. TK and Begin are not those guys, not if we actually want to win the fight anyways.
And me thinks that if Big George saw a kid fighting his way into the hearts of Montreal fans, he might be a little more active. Otherwise, he could find himself watching the games from the press box.

Old
11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Over-rated in what way?

No one expects him to score a bushel of goals. He is great skater, has good size, works hard and adds an element of grit. In other words, he is Mathieu Dandenault with grit or Steve Begin with some size and durability. What is so wrong with that.
Exactly, he is exactly the type of players Bruins like to have in their line-up, he is big, strong, physical, gritty, skates well, has some nice interesting skills and he is a smart guy, responsible, playing well at both ends of the ice.. I think he is a high quality grinder, personally Im higher on Stewart than I am on Max Lapierre, I think he has better hands and a better shot.. Having Stewart, Chipchu and Maxpac in the line-up would help against Boston..

Old
11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Over-rated in what way?

Overrated in the way that you think he can come in tomorrow and be better than Dandenault and Begin immediately. And others think he can be better than Max Lapierre tomorrow.

Overrated in the way that we are at a 23 man roster limit and you would have to put one of these guys on waivers in order to call him up.

Overrated in that most people on this board saw one good game on the leafs and assume that is what we will get every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
How many Bulldogs games did you see this year?
3 or 4.

I've been to one in Hamilton.. .and when i go home for the weekends they are often on Cable 14.

Old
11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:

I don't understand what your expectations are of him. You do realize that most of us see him as a fourth liner that is gritty and can hold his own in fights. We don't have that right now. Check the other threads... that's the overwhelming opinion after last night's game.

Does Greg skate better than Begin and TK? Yes.

Does he fight better than both of them? Yes.

Has he shown to have better hands than them? Yes.

He may not be consistent, but it's not like TK or Begin are either, and they are much older and are making much more money.

Sorry but I still don't understand where you're coming from with the "most overrated prospect comment".

Old
11-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
I don't understand what your expectations are of him. You do realize that most of us see him as a fourth liner that is gritty and can hold his own in fights. We don't have that right now. Check the other threads... that's the overwhelming opinion after last night's game.

Does Greg skate better than Begin and TK? Yes.

Does he fight better than both of them? Yes.

Has he shown to have better hands than them? Yes.

He may not be consistent, but it's not like TK or Begin are either, and they are much older and are making much more money.

Sorry but I still don't understand where you're coming from with the "most overrated prospect comment".
TK is 100x better than Stewart....

skate better?? joke.... better hands??? JOKE, Jason Ward was the leading scorer in the AHL you can't compare his small AHL production and think he is better offensively than TK.....

Kostopolous, Begin, and Dandenault bring something to the game that Stewart doesn't.... and thats PK skills...

There are honestly 6 or 7 forwards in Hamilton i would recall before stewart.

Old
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Overrated in the way that you think he can come in tomorrow and be better than Dandenault and Begin immediately. And others think he can be better than Max Lapierre tomorrow.

Overrated in the way that we are at a 23 man roster limit and you would have to put one of these guys on waivers in order to call him up.

Overrated in that most people on this board saw one good game on the leafs and assume that is what we will get every night.

3 or 4.

I've been to one in Hamilton.. .and when i go home for the weekends they are often on Cable 14.
The only one that can replace Max Lapierre at the moment is Chipchura, I was not saying Stewart could replace Max, just that I see Max being moved to the wing next year and I think Stewart has more potential than Lapierre, I think this kid could see some action on a third line without hurting you..

Old
11-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
Why bring up Stewart? Because he's the middleweight that we need.
If George won't fight the Lucic's and the Clarkson's of the NHL (even though these guys will generally go toe to toe with anyone), we need someone that can go with them. TK and Begin are not those guys, not if we actually want to win the fight anyways.
And me thinks that if Big George saw a kid fighting his way into the hearts of Montreal fans, he might be a little more active. Otherwise, he could find himself watching the games from the press box.
Stewart would get destroyed by Lucic....destroyed.

Stewart had one good game in a call-up last year and people think he could be a savior. He's one of the worse regulars on the Bulldogs. (And I like the guy).

TK is a superior player in every way.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
TK is 100x better than Stewart....

skate better?? joke.... better hands??? JOKE, Jason Ward was the leading scorer in the AHL you can't compare his small AHL production and think he is better offensively than TK.....

Kostopolous, Begin, and Dandenault bring something to the game that Stewart doesn't.... and thats PK skills...

There are honestly 6 or 7 forwards in Hamilton i would recall before stewart.
Well, I guess we will agree to disagree on who is a better skater and who has better hands. But whether he is better offensively than TK is not my point. My point is that Stewart is a better middleweight fighter than either TK or Begin. Other than Flynn, he is most likely the best fighter on the Bulldogs (so unless Flynn was one of the 7 you were referring to, that comment was not really relevant).
The difference between Stewart and Flynn, is that the latter can play. Is he a better all-around player than the other two, of course not, if he was, he would be here and the others would not. But IMO the Habs can do without the average PK abilities of Dandenault, TK, and Begin if Stewart can hold his own physically in this league.