HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#15 -- Flyers at Penguins -- November 13, 2008 -- 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Blaming this L on hartnell is retarded. As with blaming it on Stevens. Whatever he said in that TO worked. That's a fact.
Blame it on the team for giving up 3 goals to start (though crosby and Malkin's goals were sick)

Say a player had a game with a terrible defensive giveaway, leading to a tying goal. Then in a shootout, had the goalie beat, but lazily tried to push the puck into the net and tried to look pretty instead of slamming it home and it got stopped.

Now let's call that player Lupul. You vultures would be all over him.

But it was Richards.

You flame Stevens for playing favorites when it comes to accountability, but you do the same thing.
Richard did not have a good game and I can agree with that, but I don't think that shootout attempt was lazy, I just think he was "zigging" while the puck was "zagging". He looked to be in a tough position and had no way to elevate that puck. I think with how Sauborin was laying there, even strength wouldnt have tucked that sucker in!

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
As disappointed in this game as I am, I can't help but take some positives from it. Along with many others on here, I thought it was gonna be a blowout. Especially when we were down 3-0. However, they showed that they can play with (whenever they decide to actually play) and be able to beat the Pens. And Marty in the SO? If for nothing else, I wish we could've won that game for him. I'm just gonna take this loss with a grain of salt. And whatever Stevens said during that TO, he needs to do more of.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
This team has yet to beat a serious playoff threat.

Anyone else concerned about this fact?
I've been concerned for weeks.

People can be happy with the point if they want, but the fact of the matter is that we don't have enough points to be happy with just getting one. A playoff team would have gotten two points tonight when they were up 1 goal with 3 minutes to play.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:04 AM
bennysflyers16

Was Knuble benched in the 3rd, I did not notice him out there that much in the 3rd ???

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I swear I sat and said the same thing.

Over.

And over.

I don't know why NO ONE just gets between the circles and !!!BLASTS!!!
It's fine if you want to switch up your dekes, like Richards did something new and it almost worked. But Gagne and Carter doing the same thing everytime is too predictable and almost never works. They both have ridiculous shots, just let it go. I was thinking the same thing for the Pens - they were over-thinking it. Biron usually lets in the wristers from the slot. Last night they all deked and he made the saves. Just shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Was Knuble benched in the 3rd, I did not notice him out there that much in the 3rd ???
He was out there, just doing nothing.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
It's fine if you want to switch up your dekes, like Richards did something new and it almost worked. But Gagne and Carter doing the same thing everytime is too predictable and almost never works. They both have ridiculous shots, just let it go. I was thinking the same thing for the Pens - they were over-thinking it. Biron usually lets in the wristers from the slot. Last night they all deked and he made the saves. Just shoot.
Gagne is ridiculous...what's interesting is that move is probably very effective in the midst of a game because the goalie doesn't have a moment to think, "Oh, Gagne always goes backhand..." But in a shootout, the other teams DEFINITELY have scouting reports on the main shooters for the opposing team.

Gagne has switched to going out way wide to be a greater lateral threat to the goalie, but the reason the poke check came last night was because the goalie clearly was ready for him to go backhand in the end.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Blaming this L on hartnell is retarded. As with blaming it on Stevens. Whatever he said in that TO worked. That's a fact.
Blame it on the team for giving up 3 goals to start (though crosby and Malkin's goals were sick)

Say a player had a game with a terrible defensive giveaway, leading to a tying goal. Then in a shootout, had the goalie beat, but lazily tried to push the puck into the net and tried to look pretty instead of slamming it home and it got stopped.

Now let's call that player Lupul. You vultures would be all over him.

But it was Richards.

You flame Stevens for playing favorites when it comes to accountability, but you do the same thing.
Erm...be fair, some have labeled the blame on Richards without thinking about it. And while it was nice to see Stevens show some fire on the bench when the crap was falling apart out there...why is our crap ALWAYS seeming to be falling apart like that. Why are we never a consistent and cohesive unit?

As far as the Malkin goal...I noticed Carle doing it a few times, and it definitely happened there. Why is he so quick to rotate to his defensive partners side of the ice. He stays in front of Malkin he's probably in a position to deny that goal. Instead, he rotated over chasing the puck and it ended up in the back of the net...he got away with it a few other times, too.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Well Biron usually comes out and then backs up into his crease before the shooter hits the top of the circles which is just asking for a shot from the hash marks. Last night he came out and challenged the shooters on every shot and forced them to deke instead of rip one. He has obviously been working on it and it showed last night.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:01 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Gagne is ridiculous...what's interesting is that move is probably very effective in the midst of a game because the goalie doesn't have a moment to think, "Oh, Gagne always goes backhand..." But in a shootout, the other teams DEFINITELY have scouting reports on the main shooters for the opposing team.

Gagne has switched to going out way wide to be a greater lateral threat to the goalie, but the reason the poke check came last night was because the goalie clearly was ready for him to go backhand in the end.
I switched to radio for the OT and SO and haven't heard Therien much in his new role but he was critical of Gagne's attempt and it wasn't dissimilar to that description.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:19 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
Richard did not have a good game and I can agree with that, but I don't think that shootout attempt was lazy, I just think he was "zigging" while the puck was "zagging". He looked to be in a tough position and had no way to elevate that puck. I think with how Sauborin was laying there, even strength wouldnt have tucked that sucker in!
Sorry, Richards didn't even snap his wrist on the shot, he easily could have chipped it a bit but he tried to just slide it in and got stoned.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:25 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
the puck deflected twice on that play. i get that he'll still beat himself up for it, but i don't get how anyone other than himself can hold him accountable for that.

with the way all the bounces were going tonight, the flyers weren't meant to win.
Maybe on that play, but Richards has been a turnover machine most of the season.

He had at least 3 apart from that one last night. He needs to be more careful.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:28 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Maybe on that play, but Richards has been a turnover machine most of the season.

He had at least 3 apart from that one last night. He needs to be more careful.
i think part of it is that he really wants to be the one to turn this ship around. he's trying too hard, which means he's taking risks he normally wouldn't be taking.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
i think part of it is that he really wants to be the one to turn this ship around. he's trying too hard, which means he's taking risks he normally wouldn't be taking.
At least he is working his ass off.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:43 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

**** moarale victorys, being happy with the point, being able to play with the Pens ect ect ect. screw that crap. we are getting twords the quarter point of the season and we have not seen many signs that they are going to start playing solid, consistant hockey. We see the same mistakes, the same lousy stretches of ****** play in games, not coming out ready to play. Alot of the mistakes are just downright ******* lazyness. I like Richards like everyone else does here, but there was no way he should have forced that pass in there. He know he ****ed up, but it doesnt change a thing. The Flyers continue to waste away valuable points this season.
I dont want to hear the injuries ******** excuse either.
The Flyers have now lost 4 games when they have scored 4 or more goals this season. ridiculous.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I've been concerned for weeks.

People can be happy with the point if they want, but the fact of the matter is that we don't have enough points to be happy with just getting one. A playoff team would have gotten two points tonight when they were up 1 goal with 3 minutes to play.

I'm mad as hell that we gave the Pens 2 points but playoff teams DO let those points slip on occasion. How many times did we do it last year?

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I'm mad as hell that we gave the Pens 2 points but playoff teams DO let those points slip on occasion. How many times did we do it last year?
The better question is how many times did the Red Wings do it last year? because that is where we want this team to be... not just another playoff team.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:10 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Halak is scheduled to start for Montreal in tomorrow night's game.

Komisarek is hurt and will not play.

Old
11-14-2008, 04:32 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

I was at the game last night, it was pretty fun. Penguins fans are really hit or miss, maybe the best, most dedicated fan I've ever met sat next to me on one side, and the dumbest, drunkest retard on the other.

The one guy was probably 65 years old, had been to probably 400 or more games, had met dozens of players, and was just a great fan of his team and sport. Celebrated when they scored, chided me but was good natured, and praised a good player when he saw one (Gagne).

The other was 35 and drunk, telling me I didn't appreciate good hockey and trying to claim that Penguins won that game where Nitty let in the famous goal from center ice (which is as stupid as it sounds: they didn't, and I told him that, and he argued it but eventually settled on "neither of us can prove it, so it's not worth arguing. how old are you, 7?"). He even pulled the "When did the Flyers win their last cup?" and "Your defense is too old and slow," citing every shot on goal the Penguins had as evidence of that. Maybe the worst sports fan I have ever met.

On the way out, a guy randomly shouted at me "OH! I'M A FLYERS FAN! I DRINK MY OWN PEE!" to which I said "Oh really? I'm a Flyers fan and I conduct myself like a normal human being." Basically, idiots are idiots, and I think our fan bases have the same number of *******s and nice, educated people.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I'm mad as hell that we gave the Pens 2 points but playoff teams DO let those points slip on occasion.
On occasion. This is not an occasion that is acceptable. Bad turnover by the captain with two of the top 4 or 5 players in the league on the ice. Waving sticks, split defenses, failed penalty shots. You come out of that with a lead with 3 minutes to play, there are no excuses or reasoning, you need to win the game, and you need to win the game in regulation.

Quote:
How many times did we do it last year?
Too often. Lest we forget that despite the Flyers coming with 7 wins of a Stanley Cup, when they finished their 81st game, they had yet to clinch a playoff spot.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:06 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Komisarek is hurt and will not play.
Actual injury, or just his pride?

11-14-2008, 05:10 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Actual injury, or just his pride?
Hand and shoulder was the initial report (from the fight) and supposedly an update is to come.

Edit: I think the Flyers are wearing black jerseys tomorrow because Montreal is scheduled to wear retro white at home.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-14-2008 at 05:15 PM.