HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque Speaks

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Blades 0f Steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think you misunderstood what he was saying.

He meant that Thornto and Chara are heavyweights, if they would of been running around like Lucic was last night and he would of approached them to fight, they would of accepted because they're heavyweights. Lucic was running around and didn't want to throw with Laraque...not much he can do

What do you all expect laraque to do...just cold **** a guy in the head no matter what? This is what I feared when we signed Laraque, people don't understand the role of a respected pugilist like Laraque. People expect him to run around and act like Jeff Kugel ?(youtube it if you don't remember). That's not how it works...I really like Lucic, but I didn't think he was such a weasel. Eventually, he'll have to throw down with BGL...especially after his antics last night
At the very least, a roughing penalty?

There have been many fights this year where a player clearly instigated a fight but wasn't given a penalty for it. If he's seriously worried that either a shove or facewash which leads to a fight will get him an instigator, then we're in for a long season, my friend.

2 years ago, I agree, they called instigator penalties like they were going out of style. Look at a guy c0ckeyed, get an instigator, a little shove, get the instigator. The past few seasons they've let the enforcers be a little more aggressive in order to get a fight going. It's only BGL that hasn't taken notice.

Besides which, the fight with Fedoruk, he wasn't too concerned with the instigator there. Jumped right off the bench, made a bee-line for the guy & dropped his mitts after a hard check. Fedoruk still had his gloves on.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 11-14-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old
11-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Erika

Laraque can speaks all he wants... the fact remain... Komisarek got whooped and Laraque did absolutely nothing before, during and after that.

Enforcer huh ?! mehh...

Old
11-14-2008, 05:06 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think you misunderstood what he was saying.

He meant that Thornto and Chara are heavyweights, if they would of been running around like Lucic was last night and he would of approached them to fight, they would of accepted because they're heavyweights. Lucic was running around and didn't want to throw with Laraque...not much he can do

What do you all expect laraque to do...just cold **** a guy in the head no matter what? This is what I feared when we signed Laraque, people don't understand the role of a respected pugilist like Laraque. People expect him to run around and act like Jeff Kugel ?(youtube it if you don't remember). That's not how it works...I really like Lucic, but I didn't think he was such a weasel. Eventually, he'll have to throw down with BGL...especially after his antics last night
Thanks for the post 417. I was gonna say the same. Th expectations are out of whack here. People should look back to when we had Langdon. That's how they should view BGL's role, except with 10 times the fighting ability.

Lucic is a chicken ***** for sure. Let's see if he has the nads to throw them at some point this season, or will he keep ducking.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:07 PM
furry hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
The interview was riddled with inconsistencies.
I noticed that as well.

Wouldn't it be great, for once, to have a player be totally open and candid, a la:

Reporter: So why did you fight?

BGL: "Look, I've got a few gyms in Edmonton, and I'm a fitness nut. Carbo gives me regular shifts, so I get to practice skating and get some cardio. Look at my waist, I'm slimming down. If I get 5 MIN and a game misconduct, it starts to show around my mid-section."

Old
11-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
The interview was riddled with inconsistencies. He fights according to the “code”, which is a set of conventions that revolve around respect. He doesn’t respect Lucic because of his junior league antics. So why does the code apply? He mentions that according to the “code” Chara and/or Thornton would not be able to turn him down, but it sure looked like Thornton did later in the game (though to be fair neither guy was guilty of running around).

Bottom line, it’s time to update the code, when your opponent does not play by the Marquess of Queensberry’s rules neither should you.
I think that's the main point. If Thornton was runnin' around causin' ****, and he had been the one to hammer Kovalev, then he'd defintely have answered the bell when Laraque came around. And he knows it.

But about Lucic, I'm not sure what Laraque is supposed to do, other than go jump him when the game was 6-1 and out of reach. When the game was close, BGL wanted to fight and Lucic ran away. So he can't jump him then. When the game is 6-1, Lucic would defintely still have declined. So I don't really know...

Old
11-14-2008, 05:11 PM
OneSharpMarble

Code, asking to fight, this league is full of pansies. Where did the days go when you'd have 3 or four fights on the ice at once? God these "enforcers" would not last a second in the old NHL.

I don't care if Lucic is the size of Martin St.Louis once you start calling out players and talking **** you are open season in my opinion.

What is the point of getting Laraque if he is only going to protect the team from a handful of guys who normally never start **** with out team in the first place? If heavy weights can only fight heavy weights than if we dont have a heavy weight we wont have to worry about fighting in the first place. Chara and Boogard and the big bruisers havnt been the habs problem, its the Lucic's and the Ruutu's that we now have ZERO answer for because we have no one at middle weight who can fight and Laraque sure as hell isnt going to fight unless he has a written agreement beforehand. Totally defeats the purpose in having him and wastes a spot.

He doesnt throw fists and he doesnt throw checks, you are making yourself redundant Laraque.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:11 PM
furry hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Lucic is a chicken ***** for sure.
Are you delusional? He **** up our boy, a big boy at that, pretty good last night. Dear Lord I'd like to have Lucic on our team. He plays with more heart and guts than 95% of our team.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I think that's the main point. If Thornton was runnin' around causin' ****, and he had been the one to hammer Kovalev, then he'd defintely have answered the bell when Laraque came around. And he knows it.

But about Lucic, I'm not sure what Laraque is supposed to do, other than go jump him when the game was 6-1 and out of reach. When the game was close, BGL wanted to fight and Lucic ran away. So he can't jump him then. When the game is 6-1, Lucic would defintely still have declined. So I don't really know...
When you're down 4-1, you've got a kid that took a run at one of your best players & is looking to fight your 2nd best D...you start the 'aggressive negotiations'.

Don't give me that 'they call the instigator for anything' bunk. It's not like it used to be, the refs are far more lenient. Lucic is a hothead, so it's not like it's worthless to even try and push his buttons.

Carbo should have stressed that Lucic needed to be dealt with too, he's even more to blame. He knows the whole score between Lucy and Komo.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
furry hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
What is the point of getting Laraque if he is only going to protect the team from a handful of guys who normally never start **** with out team in the first place? .
And that's the truth Ruth.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
He could start by doing a better job of making lucy want to fight with him. Do something that makes lucy snap and want to go, get up in his face and make fun of his hunch(i heard that one works with him) i don't really care. Do something other then just figure skate with him saying "ya wanna go".
Just so you know, that's getting into Sean Avery territory. Kris Beech did that and got his ass handed to him... Of course, BGL is a different kind of fighter altogether. Still, a lot of respect would be lost for Laraque if he ever did that.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Laraque is useless crap. He was supposed to make our team grow and let them play bigger... That didn't happen and he can't even do his ****ing job right. Plus, he sucks as a hockey player, slow as hell and no skillset at all.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:17 PM
furry hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Still, a lot of respect would be lost for Laraque if he ever did that.
And the respect for our team? As of today, we're the laughing stock of the league right now. Out manned, out scored and out fought. And for good measure, a little bit of mocking.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:18 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Just so you know, that's getting into Sean Avery territory. Kris Beech did that and got his ass handed to him... Of course, BGL is a different kind of fighter altogether. Still, a lot of respect would be lost for Laraque if he ever did that.
I don't think its Sean Avery territory at all. Its not like he has a terminal disease or anything. Its no different then making fun of peoples teeth, height, their ugly looks..whatever.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
furry hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Plus, he sucks as a hockey player, slow as hell and no skillset at all.
Oddly enough, he's getting quite a bit of interview time. He's preparing for his post-NHL speaking-gig career.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:21 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
I can't argue with Laraque here. Lucic is a big boy, a great fighter, no one wanted to fight this guy when he was in the Dub. Laraque asks him to go, he runs away and goes and fights Komo, then puts on his little WWE display. If you're GL how could you have respect for a guy like that?
I don't care if he respects him, I care if he knows how to respond.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I'm not saying I'd prefer to have Godard, but for all of you that are throwing the instigator/suspension excuse out there he's been able to do an effective job as an enforcer & hasn't taken a suspension yet.

I think it's all bunk & BGL needs to get over this fear of repercussions from the league in order to protect his teammates.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 11-14-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old
11-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry hats View Post
And the respect for our team? As of today, we're the laughing stock of the league right now. Out manned, out scored and out fought. And for good measure, a little bit of mocking.
Are you serious? Do you not know what happened in Tampa Bay today?

Old
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry hats View Post
Are you being sarcastic? Because I actually DO feel better. The question is... does he do anything about it? I'm assuming a Tony Twist-sque player would back up his words with a@@ whopping. I'm not sure Laraque has it in him.
No, I was being serious.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
habfan4

Quote:
...But about Lucic, I'm not sure what Laraque is supposed to do, other than go jump him when the game was 6-1 and out of reach. When the game was close, BGL wanted to fight and Lucic ran away. So he can't jump him then. When the game is 6-1, Lucic would defintely still have declined. So I don't really know...
BGL's not the type to out and out jump Lucic (or anyone for that matter) but there is a lot of room to work with between asking a guy to fight and simply ripping his head off. Face wash him, cross check him, get in his face, there is a lot you can do within the rules to let the crowd and his teammates know that he won't stand up for himself (if it's okay for Lucic to pull the similar stunts with Komisarek, why not turn the tables on the kid).

Last edited by habfan4: 11-14-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: I can't ****ing spell.
Old
11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
HotPie

All I here are excuses from Laraque.

Old
11-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Habs4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
You guys are missing the point.

He's calling him a middle-weight 2 seconds after saying he refused to fight him.

To me that's a jab at Lucic. He's challenging him. Calling him a middle-weight because he wouldn't fight him.

Like he says, what do you want him to do? Jump the guy and end up getting a 5 minute major and a suspension?
At least it would have done something last night and it could of possibly been the TSN turning point for the canadiens.

Old
11-14-2008, 06:07 PM
old scotia

Great interview. Some of you can blame Laraque if you want but it all comes down to the fact that Lucic and Thornton were SCARED to fight BGL. They were afraid to lose. Period. Tough guys don't back down from a fight during any situation. Lucic picked his spot. Lucic was successful. Good for him. We can all now classify Lucic and Thornton with Avery, Ott, Ruutu as Professional hockey players making millions of dollars who PICK THEIR SPOTS.

Old
11-14-2008, 06:11 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
Great interview. Some of you can blame Laraque if you want but it all comes down to the fact that Lucic and Thornton were SCARED to fight BGL. They were afraid to lose. Period. Tough guys don't back down from a fight during any situation. Lucic picked his spot. Lucic was successful. Good for him. We can all now classify Lucic and Thornton with Avery, Ott, Ruutu as Professional hockey players making millions of dollars who PICK THEIR SPOTS.
You know what this means!!!
MORAL VICTORY!!

Old
11-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I rest my case.

"This is not junior hockey, it's the NHL....
...you don't react like that...it's childish."

I completely disagree with his views that he's a middleweight & that he can only do something with Chara or Thornton. This kid threw down with some tough fighters. I'm a little disgusted that he thinks that way, actually.

What does this mean for next Saturday? He does nothing & 'embarrasses' the middleweight by giving him a stern talking-to?
I think that was a diss more than anything, not a serious judgment.

Pretty much anybody that fights in the NHL can be considered a heavyweight if you want to be technical. Anybody above 200lbs is a heavyweight in Boxing.
For MMA its above 205lbs.

Laraque's not a fool, he's basically setting the cards for next game, calling Lucic a middleweight, comparing his gestures to those of a junior player, saying ''how can anybody respect a guy that does that?'', etc...

You clearly did not understand a thing, and took every thing he said way too literal.

Old
11-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Habarazzi

Why do we dress Laraque anyway?

According to him, nobody will fight him or he has to get permission from the other guy before he can start anything..... according to him, he's just following "the code"
WHAT A JOKE !!

Maybe we were better off without him.

His (Laraque's) non-action yesterday, might lead to Komisarek not re-signing here. And before you guys start flaming me ..... think about it for a sec.
It wasn't only his face and hand that was smashed last night (that will heal with time) ...
I bet it's his pride & confidence that took a bigger beating ....and that's a lot tougher to get back.
Don't be surprised if this has an affect on his play from hereonin.

Closed Thread