HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Stewart?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
  #26
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Stewart would get destroyed by Lucic....destroyed.

Stewart had one good game in a call-up last year and people think he could be a savior. He's one of the worse regulars on the Bulldogs. (And I like the guy).

TK is a superior player in every way.
People seem to forget that there is a lot of emotion involved in playing your first ever NHL game, on HNIC, infront of your family and friends, against a team you rooted for growing up. Ever wonder why those French Canadian backup goalies play so well at the Bell Centre??

Add to this the fact that we were playing the Leafs... a team that had given up on the season as was obvious by the way they were blown out in ottawa 2 days before that game.

But all they see is that one game and think Stewart is some sort of god who we are leaving in hamilton for no apparent reason.


Give Me Glumac before him... and I'm not even joking...


Chipchura, D'agostini, Maxwell, Lehoux, MaxPac, should all be ahead of him on the depth chart for forwards too.

Note: this is not ordered in any way... just 6 forwards i would prefer over stewart.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 04:49 PM
  #27
Papa_Bear_21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Stewart would get destroyed by Lucic....destroyed.
really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxeHEO4KSb4

Please, I may be overrating Stewart, but there's a reason Lucic did not accept Laraque's invite last night.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:17 PM
  #28
King Kovalev
Registered User
 
King Kovalev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Poland
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxeHEO4KSb4

Please, I may be overrating Stewart, but there's a reason Lucic did not accept Laraque's invite last night.
Turtle Turtle !!! No but seriously Stewart wouldnt stand a chance against Lucic.

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:20 PM
  #29
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
TK is 100x better than Stewart....

skate better?? joke.... better hands??? JOKE, Jason Ward was the leading scorer in the AHL you can't compare his small AHL production and think he is better offensively than TK.....

Kostopolous, Begin, and Dandenault bring something to the game that Stewart doesn't.... and thats PK skills...

There are honestly 6 or 7 forwards in Hamilton i would recall before stewart.
TK is 100x better than Stewart? That is an interesting evaluation. And yes, he is a better skater bhan both TK and Begin.

Stewart wouldn't be brought in to fill the net so why even bring up comparisons with Jason Ward's scoring ability or anyone else who may have led the Bulldogs. On the other hand he is a better skater than Ward and a lot tougher.... seems like a good sikll set for a fourth line player. We have nine other forwards that are paid handsomely to score goals.

TK, Begin, Laracque, Lapierre and Dandenault have a total of 3 goals and 2 assists in a total of 58 man games played. Offensively, there couldn't be much of a drop off with Stewart.

I agree that there might be 6 or 7 players in Hamilton with better offensive skills than Stewart but there is no chance of using a guy like Maxwell or Paciorerty as a role player. When they are ready to contribute it will on one of the top three lines. In the meantime, we could use a good aggressive forward

Penalty killing? The coaching staff consider Dandenault and Begin so effective that they only dress them for half the games. Begin is 13th in shorthanded minutes per game played and Dandenault is 14th in shorthanded minutes per game played. It's obvious that neither are playing key roles in that department.

I wouldn't say that Stewart is the solution to all problems but he would provide those characteristics that I described earlier at a lower cost, without a significant drop off in offensive production and without jeopardizing the penalty kill.

Tell me one more time why he shouldn't be considered.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:27 PM
  #30
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
really?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxeHEO4KSb4

Please, I may be overrating Stewart, but there's a reason Lucic did not accept Laraque's invite last night.
I think it was Erskine that broke Lucic's nose last year That was a bigger beating than what Lucic did to Komisarek but Erskine isn't a ****** that goes around dancing like a ballerina screaming I won I won.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
  #31
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
TK is 100x better than Stewart? That is an interesting evaluation. And yes, he is a better skater bhan both TK and Begin.
TK is a very good skater... I don't know why you think he isn't. I have no reason to believe Stewart is a better skater from what i've seen... but unless we put them beside each other and have a race, i guess neither of us will be able to say who is better. Regardless... skating is not a weakness for TK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Stewart wouldn't be brought in to fill the net so why even bring up comparisons with Jason Ward's scoring ability or anyone else who may have led the Bulldogs. On the other hand he is a better skater than Ward and a lot tougher.... seems like a good sikll set for a fourth line player. We have nine other forwards that are paid handsomely to score goals.
I was told that Stewart had better hands than TK and i responded asking what this is based on.... since he has no NHL points it must be based on something he did in the AHL.... I am showing how there are lots of guys who scored lots of AHL points, but it doesn't mean that they have NHL level skills offensively. I'm glad you agree with me here and that his hands are not a reason to bring him up though. Really hes not gonna be brought up to score goals so why his hands are an issue i don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
TK, Begin, Laracque, Lapierre and Dandenault have a total of 3 goals and 2 assists in a total of 58 man games played. Offensively, there couldn't be much of a drop off with Stewart.
see above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
I agree that there might be 6 or 7 players in Hamilton with better offensive skills than Stewart but there is no chance of using a guy like Maxwell or Paciorerty as a role player. When they are ready to contribute it will on one of the top three lines. In the meantime, we could use a good aggressive forward.
Chipchura >>>> Stewart... and Chips can fight too...

Quote:
Penalty killing? The coaching staff consider Dandenault and Begin so effective that they only dress them for half the games. Begin is 13th in shorthanded minutes per game played and Dandenault is 14th in shorthanded minutes per game played. It's obvious that neither are playing key roles in that department.

I wouldn't say that Stewart is the solution to all problems but he would provide those characteristics that I described earlier at a lower cost, without a significant drop off in offensive production and without jeopardizing the penalty kill.

Tell me one more time why he shouldn't be considered.
Cause we have 23 guys on the roster... and we would have to waive one to bring him up. If he was better than the guys we have he should have shown it by this point. He didnt show he was better than them in the preseason.. and he hasn't shown he is better than them in Hamilton. Is he dominating down there?? No.

If you want a gritty 4th line forward Chipchura is a much better choice. Regardless I'm not waiving a veteran to make room for any of them. I dont see the point.

Dandy can play defence too and is useful incase of injuries (see Komi injury thread)

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:44 PM
  #32
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
TK is a very good skater... I don't know why you think he isn't. I have no reason to believe Stewart is a better skater from what i've seen... but unless we put them beside each other and have a race, i guess neither of us will be able to say who is better. Regardless... skating is not a weakness for TK.



I was told that Stewart had better hands than TK and i responded asking what this is based on.... since he has no NHL points it must be based on something he did in the AHL.... I am showing how there are lots of guys who scored lots of AHL points, but it doesn't mean that they have NHL level skills offensively. I'm glad you agree with me here and that his hands are not a reason to bring him up though. Really hes not gonna be brought up to score goals so why his hands are an issue i don't know.



see above...



Chipchura >>>> Stewart... and Chips can fight too...



Cause we have 23 guys on the roster... and we would have to waive one to bring him up. If he was better than the guys we have he should have shown it by this point. He didnt show he was better than them in the preseason.. and he hasn't shown he is better than them in Hamilton. Is he dominating down there?? No.

If you want a gritty 4th line forward Chipchura is a much better choice. Regardless I'm not waiving a veteran to make room for any of them. I dont see the point.

Dandy can play defence too and is useful incase of injuries (see Komi injury thread)
Yeah, I think Chips should be considered for a call-up too. I just see Stewart as more of crash and bang winger, while I see Chips as a hard-nose puck possession center. For me it would depend on what the Habs needed at the time of the call-up.

And you are right. We already have 23 players on the roster and someone would have to be moved. It would only be in the event of an opportunity (injury, trade etc) that a call-up should be considered.

My only point was that if it was one of the four wingers who now play on the fourth line, Stewart would not be a bad choice.

Looking into the future, a fouth line of Chipchura, Stewart and Lapierre wouldn't hurt my feelings. I am one of those who thinks Lappy's skill set is better suited to the wing. But now I am getting way off topic.

Ughh, Dandy scares me on defense but so does Brisebois. I don't know what the answer is there?

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:50 PM
  #33
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Yeah, I think Chips should be considered for a call-up too. I just see Stewart as more of crash and bang winger, while I see Chips as a hard-nose puck possession center. For me it would depend on what the Habs needed at the time of the call-up.

And you are right. We already have 23 players on the roster and someone would have to be moved. It would only be in the event of an opportunity (injury, trade etc) that a call-up should be considered.

My only point was that if it was one of the four wingers who now play on the fourth line, Stewart would not be a bad choice.

Looking into the future, a fouth line of Chipchura, Stewart and Lapierre wouldn't hurt my feelings. I am one of those who thinks Lappy's skill set is better suited to the wing. But now I am getting way off topic.

Ughh, Dandy scares me on defense but so does Brisebois. I don't know what the answer is there?
I don't mind Stewart next year, replacing Begin/Dandy who are too expensive... when we consider the money its the right move.... but right now, getting rid of one of them to bring him up... it doesn't make sense.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
  #34
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,786
vCash: 612
I think Stewart can really bring a spark to this team on the 4th line. Dandenault is absolute garbage, I know he's had an alright beginning of the year but he doesn't really bring anything other than speed. Begin whines because he doesn't play, so let the kid come in and make his mark. He'll be hungry, and is not scared to throw them.

This isn't based on the one game last year, I just feel Stewart will bring the grit and energy this team is lacking, maybe get them going with some hits. He'd be perfect with Lapierre.

Something should be done at least to pick this team up. If Sergei is actually out, bring up D'Agostini to take his place, that kid will work his ass off too. This team just needs some sort of motivation and I think it would best come from a hungry prospect.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 06:24 PM
  #35
Kman777
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Dxq...eature=related

He's a good fighter, can skate fast too.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 06:38 PM
  #36
HabsPack
 
HabsPack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,283
vCash: 500
Stewart would be better for this team than either Dandy or Begin at this point in their respective careers. The problem is Stewart would do a lot of sitting in the press box, although with Kosto's suspension, now would've been a great time to have called him up (especially knowing Boston and Philly were coming up).

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 06:41 PM
  #37
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPack View Post
Stewart would be better for this team than either Dandy or Begin at this point in their respective careers. The problem is Stewart would do a lot of sitting in the press box, although with Kosto's suspension, now would've been a great time to have called him up (especially knowing Boston and Philly were coming up).
except that we still have 23 men on the roster... even with the Kosto suspension...

Suspended players still count against your 23.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:16 AM
  #38
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
L'art du ragoût! C'est ça qu'il nous faut!!!!

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:47 AM
  #39
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 17,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I think Stewart can really bring a spark to this team on the 4th line. Dandenault is absolute garbage, I know he's had an alright beginning of the year but he doesn't really bring anything other than speed. Begin whines because he doesn't play, so let the kid come in and make his mark. He'll be hungry, and is not scared to throw them.

This isn't based on the one game last year, I just feel Stewart will bring the grit and energy this team is lacking, maybe get them going with some hits. He'd be perfect with Lapierre.

Something should be done at least to pick this team up. If Sergei is actually out, bring up D'Agostini to take his place, that kid will work his ass off too. This team just needs some sort of motivation and I think it would best come from a hungry prospect.
based on what then ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:55 AM
  #40
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Overrated in the way that you think he can come in tomorrow and be better than Dandenault and Begin immediately. And others think he can be better than Max Lapierre tomorrow.

Overrated in the way that we are at a 23 man roster limit and you would have to put one of these guys on waivers in order to call him up.

Overrated in that most people on this board saw one good game on the leafs and assume that is what we will get every night.
The only guys we wouldn't have to put on waivers, other than the goalies, are SKost and OB.

But while O'Byrne can still be sent down, since we are temporarily without Komi, it would mean playing both Dandenault and Brisebois.

I'm with a lot of people on this board. I think we need another defenceman. Who is expendable to get that defenceman? Depending on how good of a D we get, Dandenault, Begin, Lang, Lapierre.

Hey, I have an idea !! Why not trade one of our very best propsects, Greg Stewart to Toronto for Tomas Kaberle?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.