HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque Speaks

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2008, 05:15 PM
camnly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Just so you know, that's getting into Sean Avery territory. Kris Beech did that and got his ass handed to him... Of course, BGL is a different kind of fighter altogether. Still, a lot of respect would be lost for Laraque if he ever did that.
What would be the difference between making fun of someones birth defect or their ethnicity?

Old
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
old scotia

I am not going to JUMP off the Laraque bandwagon like some of you because Lucic and Thornton are afraid to fight him. Tomorrow night we will probably see Cote and BGL fight because Cote doesn't pick his spots. He'll go with anyone not like Lucic and Thornton.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think that was a diss more than anything, not a serious judgment.

Pretty much anybody that fights in the NHL can be considered a heavyweight if you want to be technical. Anybody above 200lbs is a heavyweight in Boxing.
For MMA its above 205lbs.

Laraque's not a fool, he's basically setting the cards for next game, calling Lucic a middleweight, comparing his gestures to those of a junior player, saying ''how can anybody respect a guy that does that?'', etc...

You clearly did not understand a thing, and took every thing he said way too literal.
Well, here's to hoping Lucy takes it to heart. I still choose to believe he really was just dismissing him as a punk & doesn't expect to have to have much to do with him in the next 4 games.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
habdynasty

What is Laraque supposed to do if guys refuse to fight him? just grab guys and start hammering them?

Old
11-14-2008, 05:30 PM
fizban

Laraque is not an enforcer, he's a fighter. There's a big difference and Pens fans were trying to explain that to an unreceptive audience in July. He openly admits that he doesn't like fighting. He often fights when there really isn't a clear purpose. He constantly refrains from fighting when there's an obvious need.

Pens fans weren't joking when we said that we're happier with Godard than Laraque. Could Godard beat Laraque in a fight? Sure, but it isn't likely to happen. Laraque is clearly the better fighter. Godard is the better enforcer though because he's willing to actually enforce. I feel bad for the fans of any team that has Laraque on it. He's just frustrating as hell to watch, and he's 3 times more expensive than many guys who do a better job at enforcing. Laraque did it in Phoenix, he did it in Pittsburgh, and now he's doing it in Montreal. He fights like a normal enforcer during his first couple of games with a new team, then he starts to slack off.

And to those who say he has no skillset, you aren't paying much attention. Sure he's slow as hell, but he's the guy you want to have out there when you're trying to hold a lead at the end of a game. He's hard to knock off of the puck and half of the players are afraid to get physical with it in order to take it from him. Also when he's fortunate enough to actually catch somebody, he lays out some bone crushing hits along the boards. I've never heard louder a louder body check than the ones Laraque can throw. Is that valuable? I don't know, but he does have some skill. It is what it is.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
fizban

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
What is Laraque supposed to do if guys refuse to fight him? just grab guys and start hammering them?
What if every single player in the league turned him down? Wouldn't he be completely ******* useless? Yeah, he does need to grab some guys, make them look stupid, point and laugh, something. He doesn't do a damned thing. Your opponents can shish kabob one of your players with their hockey stick, and Laraque wont do anything about it. It sucks. Hopefully one of your coaches is able to talk some sense into the guy.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think that was a diss more than anything, not a serious judgment.

Pretty much anybody that fights in the NHL can be considered a heavyweight if you want to be technical. Anybody above 200lbs is a heavyweight in Boxing.
For MMA its above 205lbs.

Laraque's not a fool, he's basically setting the cards for next game, calling Lucic a middleweight, comparing his gestures to those of a junior player, saying ''how can anybody respect a guy that does

that?'', etc...
You clearly did not understand a thing, and took every thing he said way too literal.
That's pretty much what I was thinking too. Lucic has turned down his invitations, so, he is calling him out in an interview. We'll see how Lucic responds. I think he's willing to try, he's starting to feel pretty good about his fighting abilities. I think he's step up eventually.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post

Bottom line, it’s time to update the code, when your opponent does not play by the Marquess of Queensberry’s rules neither should you.
Hello Habs fans...I am a Bruins fan and I come in peace...sort of.

I think Habfan nailed it on the head. "When your opponent does not play by (the code) neither should you." I think that's exactly what you saw from Lucic last night. He and Komi have a well documented history going back to last season. Bruins fans have long felt that Komi has ducked Lucic and Komi looked to be doing the same last night. So, according to Habsfan, Lucic did the right thing...he refused BGL. (You'll recall the clean hit he laid on Kovalev was prior to his bout with Komi.)

Finally, and there's no way around this, Lucic really does need to consider whether it's wise to drop 'em with BGL. I mean, would you want one of your top line wingers going with a 4th line, 10 minutes a night guy? Not in a close game, that's for sure. Komi for Lucic, on the other hand, is a much more fair trade off.

Be that as it may, I wouldn't be surprised to see Looch and BGL have a go eventually.

Carry on.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:38 PM
WithOutPaperss

Sorry for trolling, but this seems a lot like what happened last year with Lucic and Komi....Lucic wanted to fight, Komi wouldn't. Although it is wrong when Lucic does it.....

Old
11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Belso

Don't get me wrong I like BGL, but he's not doing his job. He keeps saying that if the other guy doesn't want to fight that he can't fight. Well in that case put me on the ice against BGL. The second he comes to me after I do a dirty hit, I'll just tell him, "Sorry I don't want to fight you." and that will send him away back to his bench?.. And when someone asks him why he didn't fight me, he'll just say again,"well I can't just fight him or punch him or I'll get suspended.. He has to be consenting..." Give me a break.. So no one wants to fight you? Fine, so give him a bone crushing body check, or knock him on his ass by shoving him with both hands, or if Lucic won't fight him, check Savard on his ass and give Lucic a reason fight. Does someone have to teach him to be a bad ass?

I agree with the comments about him being too nice. He needs to play with Begin to show him how to get under someone's skin...

Old
11-14-2008, 05:41 PM

If Laraque kicks Lucic's ass without Lucic wanting to fight him you can be sure Chara does the same to someone like Markov right after.

Laraque is smart.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:44 PM
habdynasty

What if every single player in the league turned him down? Wouldn't he be completely ******* useless? Yeah, he does need to grab some guys, make them look stupid, point and laugh, something. He doesn't do a damned thing. Your opponents can shish kabob one of your players with their hockey stick, and Laraque wont do anything about it. It sucks. Hopefully one of your coaches is able to talk some sense into the guy.

who got shish kabobed???

Old
11-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Habarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
If Laraque kicks Lucic's ass without Lucic wanting to fight him you can be sure Chara does the same to someone like Markov right after.

Laraque is smart.

why go after a guy who doesn't fight (Markov)? Not the same thing

Old
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
fizban

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post

Laraque is smart.
Assume that that is exactly how it would play out for a moment. What message is being sent? Laraque is sending the message that you aren't going to be able to get away with that kind of crap. Sure Chara is sending the message that you can't pick on an unwilling player, but in the end, Lucic wont pull the same crap again.

The way things played out though, Laraque sent the message that you can get away with pretty much anything as long as you refuse to fight.

That doesn't seem all that smart to me, but whatever.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habarazzi View Post
Why do we dress Laraque anyway?

According to him, nobody will fight him or he has to get permission from the other guy before he can start anything..... according to him, he's just following "the code"
WHAT A JOKE !!

Maybe we were better off without him.

His (Laraque's) non-action yesterday, might lead to Komisarek not re-signing here. And before you guys start flaming me ..... think about it for a sec.
It wasn't only his face and hand that was smashed last night (that will heal with time) ...
I bet it's his pride & confidence that took a bigger beating ....and that's a lot tougher to get back.
Don't be surprised if this has an affect on his play from hereonin.
No.

Mike Komisarek will grow from what happened to him last night. He will not soon forget how it felt and will use that as motivation to up his game to another level. Why? Because that's what a man does. You get knocked down? Get the eff back up! Komisarek is the player he is today because he's learned that lesson at some point during his career, and I almost guarantee you will see a new (old) Komisarek pretty soon.

Adversity is what separates the men from the boys...a lot of posters on this board seem ready to throw our guys in the boys category. Not me though, and especially not to a guy like Mike Komisarek.

This team may not have size...but I believe they have character. Time will prove me right or wrong, but I believe that a team with character will overcome an embarrassment like last night.

If the Mighty Ducks movies have taught me anything...

Old
11-14-2008, 05:48 PM
fizban

Quote:

who got shish kabobed???
It was a hypothetical. Insert whatever name you'd like. Regardless, Laraque wont do anything about it.

edit- I've already admitted to being a Pens fan, so I don't want anyone to think I'm trolling to start ****. I'll stop commenting now.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:50 PM
habdynasty

Where was the superpest Lapierre last night? why didnt he get under anyones skin last night?? maybe he could have started something then Laraque could have finished it.

May as well get Begin back in the lineup, he knows his job.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Belso

Quote:
no, but he can push some guy on his ass and get away with it or check Savard into the boards real hard (clean of course) and give other guys a reason to fight. If they don't, just keep hammering their best players.. He's got size. Use it...

Old
11-14-2008, 05:53 PM
MrNasty

The fact that the only fights with the Bruins this year have been Thornton/Laraque and Lucic/Komi says a little bit about what Laraque does do on the ice. Last year Chara pounded on Latendresse, their tough guys fought both Kostitsyns etc. In the preseason Thornton fought a middlewight in Begin and Ference jumped AK. With Laraque on the ice we haven't witnessed this so far this season. As much as we wish Laraque would have cold clocked Lucic; if he wasn't on the ice we probably would have seen the skilled players targeted more. I will agree though, Laraque could have at least layed a big hit on one of their skilled players or roughed up someone after the whistle.

Old
11-14-2008, 05:59 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Laraque will get his man eventually, thats all i'm going to say in that regard.

As for Lucic being a superhero, this is a hockey fight. He walked away from this one with a victory, albeit not nearly as lopsided as many seem to make it out to be. On another night, with a now pissed off Komisarek, you never know.. He might give him a big right to that big crooked nose of his and drop him like a sack of potatoes like John Erskine did.

In a hockey fight, anything can happen. Lucic could even beat Laraque one night, it happens.

Komisarek is not a *****, and I myself as have Habs fan have never been more proud to say he is one of my favourite players. He answered the call, he lost, but he was a man about it. And like I said, on another night with different conditions, Komi might drop him. You just never know.

What I do know, is that Komi is all class and wouldn't perform the bush league antics that Lucic pulled. It's frustrating that Habs, and us the fans are considered "classless" by other fanbases, and yet this bafoonery is just called "being excited, filled with energy, etc". Serious face palm..

Old
11-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
The fact that the only fights with the Bruins this year have been Thornton/Laraque and Lucic/Komi says a little bit about what Laraque does do on the ice. Last year Chara pounded on Latendresse, their tough guys fought both Kostitsyns etc. In the preseason Thornton fought a middlewight in Begin and Ference jumped AK. With Laraque on the ice we haven't witnessed this so far this season. As much as we wish Laraque would have cold clocked Lucic; if he wasn't on the ice we probably would have seen the skilled players targeted more. I will agree though, Laraque could have at least layed a big hit on one of their skilled players or roughed up someone after the whistle.
My point exactly...

Old
11-14-2008, 06:02 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Hello Habs fans...I am a Bruins fan and I come in peace...sort of.

I think Habfan nailed it on the head. "When your opponent does not play by (the code) neither should you." I think that's exactly what you saw from Lucic last night. He and Komi have a well documented history going back to last season. Bruins fans have long felt that Komi has ducked Lucic and Komi looked to be doing the same last night. So, according to Habsfan, Lucic did the right thing...he refused BGL. (You'll recall the clean hit he laid on Kovalev was prior to his bout with Komi.)

Finally, and there's no way around this, Lucic really does need to consider whether it's wise to drop 'em with BGL. I mean, would you want one of your top line wingers going with a 4th line, 10 minutes a night guy? Not in a close game, that's for sure. Komi for Lucic, on the other hand, is a much more fair trade off.

Be that as it may, I wouldn't be surprised to see Looch and BGL have a go eventually.

Carry on.
I think you rather badly paraphrased my point.

In terms of the hit on Kovalev it appeared to be from behind, but that's debatable.

In terms of your rationale on why Lucic should avoid Laraque, it mirrors the reasons that some Canadiens' fans used last year and that were flat out rejected by a segment of Boston fans (in typically vulgar fashion).

If you care to check my posts (various threads) you'll see that I clearly expected Komisarek and Lucic to eventually have a go, I also expected the result (though not the hand/shoulder injury), so this is not sour grapes. What I didn't expect was for Lucic to act in such a bush league fashion after the fight. If you challenge the opposition bench you have thrown down the gauntlet to every guy on the team, so if Laraque picks it up next Saturday, Lucic is obliged to answer the bell. When a middleweight (as Laraque describes him) runs around, runs his mouth, ducks a fight while looking for one and tries to show up the opposition, then the "code" can IMO be dispensed with.

Old
11-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Laraque will get his man eventually, thats all i'm going to say in that regard.

As for Lucic being a superhero, this is a hockey fight. He walked away from this one with a victory, albeit not nearly as lopsided as many seem to make it out to be. On another night, with a now pissed off Komisarek, you never know.. He might give him a big right to that big crooked nose of his and drop him like a sack of potatoes like John Erskine did.

In a hockey fight, anything can happen. Lucic could even beat Laraque one night, it happens.

Komisarek is not a *****, and I myself as have Habs fan have never been more proud to say he is one of my favourite players. He answered the call, he lost, but he was a man about it. And like I said, on another night with different conditions, Komi might drop him. You just never know.
People forget that he may have injured his hand in the fight. It's one thing to get a bruise but it's another thing to keep punching the guy with a broken hand. It's hard for people to understand what it's like to severely injure your hand keep punching with it.. a cut or bruise is one thing, but a fracture gives your brain a signal to stop that is overpowering...

Old
11-14-2008, 06:03 PM
OneSharpMarble

If our skilled players still have to fight and break their hands than Laraque is not doing his job end of story.

Either he plays his role or he has no place on the roster.

Old
11-14-2008, 06:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

On another note, judging by weigh/height standards Lucic would qualify as a Heavyweight.

I think Laraque calls him a middleweight because of what he's packin in his pants.

Closed Thread