HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Kovalev?

Old
11-14-2008, 09:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
36-year old UFA's don't have trade value, no matter how good they are. Sorry.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Beaker... buddy... I haven't missed a minute of a game this season.

So we're 9-3-2... that's not the point... how have we played this year.

WE have only played 2 games out of 14 games with any type of consistant effort! Think about that for a minute!

we have absolutely stunk against Columbus, Toronto, Boston, Anahiem and the NYI for 40 minutes (I drove 2 hours to see that game by the way).

This team is talented...everyone knows that, but there is a lack of depth on D and we do have depth at the forward position.

With guys we need to sign in the offseason, moving Kovy makes sense now; we can get some value for him.

This is not a knee jerk reaction to a couple of bad games, it's whether this team is built for a legitimate cup run!

Maybe instead of saying that some of us are overreating, can you see that some of you actually have a false sense of reality because of a record that doesn't reflect our play!
You wanna build for a cup run by moving our best playoff point getter and bringing up two rookies to replace him..... yeah that makes a lot of sense.

N/M the fact that he is a 36year old UFA to be.... now tell me what team is gonna want him who is not also considering a run to the cup.... now tell me again what team wants him, is considering a run at the cup and is gonna give us a legitmate dman for him.

You want a top 4 dman.... look at teams that are rebuilding and start offering picks and prospects... not our #1 winger.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:34 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
You wanna build for a cup run by moving our best playoff point getter and bringing up two rookies to replace him..... yeah that makes a lot of sense.

N/M the fact that he is a 36year old UFA to be.... now tell me what team is gonna want him who is not also considering a run to the cup.... now tell me again what team wants him, is considering a run at the cup and is gonna give us a legitmate dman for him.

You want a top 4 dman.... look at teams that are rebuilding and start offering picks and prospects... not our #1 winger.
Isn't Tanguay our #1 winger now?

Ah yes, bandwagons and those who jump on and off of them.

Kovy is still my mancrush.

Old
11-14-2008, 09:38 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Which player are you going to get Beaker... the one that sowed up last year, or the one that showed up the few years before that.

What picks and prospects would you give up...you need to give quality to get quality!

I would rather give kids with huge upside a chance to a guy whose best years are behind him!

There are plenty of teams in the West that are dying for offense and would be willing to give up a legit dman for him.

Vancouver, Phoenix, LA... I'm not an expert on which one, but if bob sent out a fax; I sure he'd get a few offers.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:41 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Which player are you going to get Beaker... the one that sowed up last year, or the one that showed up the few years before that.

What picks and prospects would you give up...you need to give quality to get quality!

I would rather give kids with huge upside a chance to a guy whose best years are behind him!

There are plenty of teams in the West that are dying for offense and would be willing to give up a legit dman for him.

Vancouver, Phoenix, LA... [B]I'm not an expert on which one, but if bob sent out a fax; I sure he'd get a few offers.
And essentially lose an entire offensive line?

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but line 1? It doesn't work so well unless Kovy works well.. A Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostitsyn line right now, is a 2nd line at best.

Old
11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
BLONG7

No one needs to be traded....but they all have to get pi$$ed off and start playing better!!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 09:46 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
And essentially lose an entire offensive line?

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but line 1? It doesn't work so well unless Kovy works well.. A Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostitsyn line right now, is a 2nd line at best.
I wouldn't be so sure about that... A Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostitsyn line would have a ton of speed and suer wouldn't be giving up the puck like Kovy!

A much better north south line vs Kovy's east-west play.

Hey..Kovy can be a magician with the puck, no question; but he is taking way too many nights off and his selfish play is not a good influence on other guys.

Where is that team leader from last year??? Now he's over extending his shifts on almost every game... what is he thinking????

Old
11-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Vancouver, Phoenix, LA... I'm not an expert on which one, but if bob sent out a fax; I sure he'd get a few offers.
I think we'll get the player who is not quite as good as last year, but is still just under 1 PPG... ie the one who has 12 pts in 14 games this year. Thats the guy I'm pretty happy keeping.

LA is dying for offence??? Since when?
Yes you have to give Quality to get Quality, but you don't create new holes to solve the old ones.

You have to decide, am i going for the cup or not... if you are going for the cup you don't give up a number 1 winger for a top 4 defenceman.... now you are just moving the hole around from one place to another.

You want to make a run?? Trade prospects we have a ton of them
You don't think we can make a run?? Okay i think you are wrong.. but if thats how you truly feel then you trade Kovalev for picks/prospects.

You don't try and do both... .you do one or the other. You either go for the cup or you don't.

Old
11-14-2008, 09:54 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that... A Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostitsyn line would have a ton of speed and suer wouldn't be giving up the puck like Kovy!

Hey..Kovy can be a magician with the puck, no question; but he is taking way too many nights off and his selfish play is not a good influence on other guys.

Where is that team leader from last year??? Now he's over extending his shifts on almost every game... what is he thinking????
I'm willing to give the Kost-Pleks-Kost line a chance, I've long been an advocate to see this line.. Like you said, due to north-south speed.

Kovalev is going to be fine, he is of more value to our team then he can fetch us in a trade this year.. trust me.

Old
11-14-2008, 09:55 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
Beaker... buddy... I haven't missed a minute of a game this season.

So we're 9-3-2... that's not the point... how have we played this year.

WE have only played 2 games out of 14 games with any type of consistant effort! Think about that for a minute!

we have absolutely stunk against Columbus, Toronto, Boston, Anahiem and the NYI for 40 minutes (I drove 2 hours to see that game by the way).

This team is talented...everyone knows that, but there is a lack of depth on D and we do have depth at the forward position.

With guys we need to sign in the offseason, moving Kovy makes sense now; we can get some value for him.

This is not a knee jerk reaction to a couple of bad games, it's whether this team is built for a legitimate cup run!

Maybe instead of saying that some of us are overreating, can you see that some of you actually have a false sense of reality because of a record that doesn't reflect our play!
Moving Kovalev right now wouldnt make any sense since you wont get anything more than a couple of picks maybe but thats not even the point.

Kovalev is known to usually play his best hockey in the playoffs and the same would apply to player like Koivu. They never really were considered to be stars in the NHL(maybe a year or two for Kovy) but man do they ever shine come playoff time.

Others who are considered to be big superstars like Spezza, Thornton and Chara always put up big number but come playoff time they never really impress.

You will see Kovalevs utility come april. He certainly is going to be more useful than a couple of picks because thats all youre going to get for him anyways. And the last tim I checked we were Stanley Cup contenders and werent rebuilding

King Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:02 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:

They played together for a half a game against Boston. -1. The whole team right now is playing uninspired hockey so stop pointing fingers.

That east-west style of play wasnt all that bad last year was it?

Old
11-14-2008, 10:09 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post
Moving Kovalev right now wouldnt make any sense since you wont get anything more than a couple of picks maybe but thats not even the point.

Kovalev is known to usually play his best hockey in the playoffs and the same would apply to player like Koivu. They never really were considered to be stars in the NHL(maybe a year or two for Kovy) but man do they ever shine come playoff time.

Others who are considered to be big superstars like Spezza, Thornton and Chara always put up big number but come playoff time they never really impress.

You will see Kovalevs utility come april. He certainly is going to be more useful than a couple of picks because thats all youre going to get for him anyways. And the last tim I checked we were Stanley Cup contenders and werent rebuilding

You could get more than a couple of picks for Kovy, a UFA dman who can move the puck out of our zone would be a just what we needed.

Can you image (god forbid) if Markov went down; there isn't a dman on our team that could help generate offense from the back end. That is a big need on this team!

Old
11-14-2008, 10:17 PM
LastRide

The Habs need a couple 2 way players. I'm just tossing names out there like Madden, Zetterberg, Lehtinen, datsyuk, Paille, Pandolfo, Brind'Amour, Cole, Gomez . The Habs won the cup in 93 because they had lots of grit on the team. Sure we have a couple on the team but their not good enough to be the 2 way players we need. Our top 2 lines just stare the other guy in the face to go fetch the puck. Teams have tried putting all snipers up front and it just don't work out the way. If its open hockey than great you can get away with it, but if it turns into hitting grinding style of play thats when your in trouble. If I were BG thats what I would be looking for to improve this team.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 10:17 PM
King Kovalev

Quote:
You could get more than a couple of picks for Kovy, a UFA dman who can move the puck out of our zone would be a just what we needed.

Can you image (god forbid) if Markov went down; there isn't a dman on our team that could help generate offense from the back end. That is a big need on this team!
Who is going to give you a quality puck moving Dmen for Kovalev? If a team is no longer in the playoff chase why in the blue hell would they want a UFA. There going to ask for a quality prospect or a couple of draft picks. And a playoff contender sure wont give you a worthy puck moving Dmen there isint enough of those type of players to go around the league you would have to massively overpay to get one for a month or two.

Old
11-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Teams that are looking for rental forwards... are not giving away good dmen (UFA to be or not)...

Teams that are trading away UFA to be Dmen are those that are not playoff contenders... they don't want Kovalev.

Old
11-14-2008, 10:27 PM
LastRide

You can single out 90% of the Habs players. Not just Kovalev. Every game you see guys floating around the ice picking their nose. Way too many for my liking. Put a blind fold on and pick who to deal..LOL

Old
11-14-2008, 10:28 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
You can single out 90% of the Habs players. Not just Kovalev. Every game you see guys floating around the ice picking their nose. Way too many for my liking.
To be fair, sometimes you get boogers that are really stuck in there. It's frustrating.

Old
11-14-2008, 10:33 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
To be fair, sometimes you get boogers that are really stuck in there. It's frustrating.
Well then, they should go to the bench and get a toothpick or tweezers to dig it out. Just like they should be doing along the boards, digging