HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#16 -- Flyers at Canadiens -- November 15, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-15-2008, 12:45 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 500
Habs are playing worse than we are right now. This is easily winnable if they come out with a good effort.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:56 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Habs are playing worse than we are right now. This is easily winnable if they come out with a good effort.
Birthday optimism?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Hopefully your players also take us for granted

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:57 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Birthday optimism?
No, fact. The Flyers are playing better hockey than the Habs in the last 2 weeks.

Old
11-15-2008, 12:58 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Hopefully your players also take us for granted
Habs board is down a little farther.

Maybe Markov will injure his shoulder turtleing like Komisarek did.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:00 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
No, fact. The Flyers are playing better hockey than the Habs in the last 2 weeks.
The Habs must be pretty awful if they're playing worse than we did against the Isles and Sens.

I dunno, I just want to see Carle again.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Habs board is down a little farther.

Maybe Markov will injure his shoulder turtleing like Komisarek did.
Hum how bout no?

Quote:
The Habs must be pretty awful if they're playing worse than we did against the Isles and Sens.

I dunno, I just want to see Carle again.
For the record, we won against these two teams, and one of these victories was a whooping.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:09 PM
FlyHigh

Saw a couple people walking around today wearing MTL jerseys too.

Last edited by GKJ: 11-15-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old
11-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Interesting theory, lets run it up the flag pole.

Flyers (1-3-1):
Edmonton - L (4-5)
@Ottawa - L (1-4)
Tampa Bay - L (1-2) [They just canned their coach, that's a good loss]
@NYI - W (3-1) [Played like garbage]
@Pitt - SOL (4-5) [Played like crap; played well; blew it in the end.]

Montreal (2-2-1):
@NYI - W (5-4)
@Columbus - SOL (3-4)
@TOR - L (3-6)
Ottawa - W (4-0)
@BOS - L (1-6)

So, our only win over the past two weeks came against the worst team in the East; we lost to a team (at home) that has been playing so crappy they canned their coach; and the rest speak for themselves.

Montreal beat both of our common opponents (we went 1-1), and has clearly struggled a bit on the road.

Tough to claim it a fact that we're playing better than them.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Nothing is easy against Habs.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:21 PM
FlyHigh

Did GKJ actually post in another thread that Nodl is a better defensive player than Gagne?

I really like Nodl so far and everything, but seriously?

Old
11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
MountainHawk

I've seen every minute of all those Habs games. How much have you watched?

Old
11-15-2008, 01:31 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Tough to claim it a fact that we're playing better than them.
Trust me we're playing like crap lately (except 1 game vs the Sens)...only bright spot for us tonight is that there's no Umberger...thank god

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
I've seen every minute of all those Habs games. How much have you watched?
Not a minute, but given that we're playing at a rate that can be loosely described as "one step above worst team in the league" right now, sort of tough to make a factual claim. Especially when the two teams in the past two weeks have two common opponents and the Habs came out of those match-ups better.

You can certainly have your opinion, but declaring it in such strident and trenchant terms is a bit silly given the objective facts, which don't back up your claim at all.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Trust me we're playing like crap lately (except 1 game vs the Sens)...only bright spot for us tonight is that there's no Umberger...thank god
Not denying that, but the Flyers are playing like absolute garbage. The only game we won (against the Isles, the worst team in the East) we didn't deserve to win. Biron played fantastic and the Isles just suck at finishing.

Pittsburgh was destroying us and if it wasn't for them getting a bit careless on the PK we lose that game in regulation...and we lost it in OT because one of our headiest players had a brain fart in the dying moments.

Flyers do not deserve declarations of superiority over any team in the league right now, let alone one of the most talented.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Did GKJ actually post in another thread that Nodl is a better defensive player than Gagne?

I really like Nodl so far and everything, but seriously?
I don't see Nodl wave at too many pucks and watch them go through his legs for easy goals for the other team. He's played on the best defensive line, getting more defensive responsibilities and increased PK time.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't see Nodl wave at too many pucks and watch them go through his legs for easy goals for the other team. He's played on the best defensive line, getting more defensive responsibilities and increased PK time.
He's a responsible young player, he's not nearly as good as Gagne, however.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:45 PM
MountainHawk

You have your negative opinion ... I see a Flyers team that is 5-3-2 in the last 10, and is working their ass off since Stevens demoted Lupul and benched Hartnell, and would have beaten the defending EC champs if their so called captain can either not be an idiot behind the net OR lift a puck 6 inches into a wide open net.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:46 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Rush yessss
Go FLyers!!! PLease winnn..i will be a slave at work tonight..ugh **** you mr walgreens

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He's a responsible young player, he's not nearly as good as Gagne, however.
While Gagne has the body of work over multiple seasons, but if we're talking the first 5 weeks of the season, I see it a bit different.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 01:49 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Nodl's played what? 7 games?

I mean honestly man, Gagne is easily better than Metro and Nodl and I personally think Richards is in danger of becoming overrated. I am probably the biggest Metro fan here, I really like his game, but to say he's a better defensive player than Gagne? Get serious.

As for Richie, I obviously love him, but every time I watch a game, it seems that there's 1-2 times where he tries to do too much in a simple situation that leads to great chances coming the other way. There was the really ill-advised blueline pass at the end of the period in the Isles game I think it was and then obviously the screw-up versus the Pens.

There's times to take a risk and times not to take one and he needs to get better at distinguishing those.

Just my .02.

EDIT: Just reread that paragraph, my English is in the freaking pits, can't even make good simple phrases anymore.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:55 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Nodl's played what? 7 games?

I mean honestly man, Gagne is easily better than Metro and Nodl and I personally think Richards is in danger of becoming overrated. I am probably the biggest Metro fan here, I really like his game, but to say he's a better defensive player than Gagne? Get serious.

As for Richie, I obviously love him, but every time I watch a game, it seems that there's 1-2 times where he tries to do too much in a simple situation that leads to great chances coming the other way. There was the really ill-advised blueline pass at the end of the period in the Isles game I think it was and then obviously the screw-up versus the Pens.

There's times to take a risk and times not to take one and he needs to get better at distinguishing those.

Just my .02.

EDIT: Just reread that paragraph, my English is in the freaking pits, can't even make good simple phrases anymore.
Richards has a single issue ... inexperience. In two-three years, he won't make the idiotic passes he makes now, and the Flyers will be a much better team for it.

Old
11-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
You have your negative opinion ... I see a Flyers team that is 5-3-2 in the last 10, and is working their ass off since Stevens demoted Lupul and benched Hartnell, and would have beaten the defending EC champs if their so called captain can either not be an idiot behind the net OR lift a puck 6 inches into a wide open net.
You said the last two weeks, not the last 10 games.

Habs are 6-3-1 in their last 10, so even their your declaration of superior play is questionable.

And our last 10 doesn't look so nice if you consider the fact that 3 of those wins aren't all that impressive at all. Drubbing a crappy Atlanta team that didn't show up; and then the respective wins over a BAD NYI team.

You can be a homer if you want, but there's not a lot to be stoked about in the last 10 games if you're a Flyer fan. The NJ wins were nice, but those weren't exactly their best team on the ice and they don't have a ton of depth when they start losing bodies.

Old
11-15-2008, 02:03 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Richards has a single issue ... inexperience. In two-three years, he won't make the idiotic passes he makes now, and the Flyers will be a much better team for it.
I absolutely agree with you, I'm just personally disagreeing with the description of him as an elite 2-way player at this point.

Taking the position thing out of it (obviously being a good 2-way C is more difficult and more valuable than being a good 2-way LW), I'd say Gagne is a better defensive player than Richards right now because you don't see those stupid kinds of mistakes.

Gagne doesn't have much complexity to his game. It's basically speed, great shot, and work ethic. So while he may not have Richards anticipation, he also doesn't make those stupid mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Richie hater and he will certainly have his say in future Selke races (Gagne will never be that caliber of player), but as of right now, I'd say a healthy Gagne is more reliable defensively.

Old
11-15-2008, 02:13 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
I absolutely agree with you, I'm just personally disagreeing with the description of him as an elite 2-way player at this point.

Taking the position thing out of it (obviously being a good 2-way C is more difficult and more valuable than being a good 2-way LW), I'd say Gagne is a better defensive player than Richards right now because you don't see those stupid kinds of mistakes.

Gagne doesn't have much complexity to his game. It's basically speed, great shot, and work ethic. So while he may not have Richards anticipation, he also doesn't make those stupid mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Richie hater and he will certainly have his say in future Selke races (Gagne will never be that caliber of player), but as of right now, I'd say a healthy Gagne is more reliable defensively.
I don't know that Richards will never if Selke material, but the holes in his game aren't talent, so yeah, I think he'll be a very complete player in the end.