HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does Komi's "performance" tonight affect his street cred?

Old
11-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Carbo N8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I don't care that BGL wasn't here last year... he is the sherriff and when he joined the team he should be the one whom Lucic has to answer to if he wants to challenge any member of our team. He was brought in so that Komi, a non-fighter, could throw his hits and not worry about fighting. Regardless of the rivalry with Komi... when BGL wanted to intervene, it was his right to do so... He should've beaten the crap out of Lucic last night and he should do it on the 22nd. Lucic has to be put in a spot where he can't pick and choose who he wants to fight.
I'm not saying that it's not BGL's job to step in, but, that doesn't mean that Komi will never have to fight. He & Lucic settled something that was brewing for a long time. I wish it hadn't ended the way it did, but, it did. Komi avoided it for a long time for good reason & I expect Milan may be under coach's instruction to do the same with Georges.

Georges has issued his challenge publicly & will probably do it again on the ice several times, but, I expect Thornton will be the one to oblige for the most part. I think Milan will oblige at some point, but, he will pick his spot just like Komi did.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post
I'm not saying that it's not BGL's job to step in, but, that doesn't mean that Komi will never have to fight. He & Lucic settled something that was brewing for a long time. I wish it hadn't ended the way it did, but, it did. Komi avoided it for a long time for good reason & I expect Milan may be under coach's instruction to do the same with Georges.

Georges has issued his challenge publicly & will probably do it again on the ice several times, but, I expect Thornton will be the one to oblige for the most part. I think Milan will oblige at some point, but, he will pick his spot just like Komi did.
I said this the other day, & the more I think about the 'feud' the more I put the responsibility on Carbo for Komi's hand being injured & giving the Bruins such momentum. You don't see coaches allowing Pronger to be targetted, no matter how many elbows the guy throws. I can't think of any other time in the past 20 years where a player of Komisarek's stature was targeted for 5+ games & the coach just let it slide. It wasn't just a one-off scrap, we're talking about a feud going back a whole calendar year.

Be honest, what would most coaches in the NHL do if they knew a very good fighter was challenging their #2 defenceman game after game after game? Sure, he had BGL out there to 'ask' him to dance, but it was obvious after turning him down twice he was going to wind up fighting Komisarek.

I haven't said one word in regards to our coach in the past year, but Carbo should have never allowed that to happen. I hope he learns from this.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I said this the other day, & the more I think about the 'feud' the more I put the responsibility on Carbo for Komi's hand being injured & giving the Bruins such momentum. You don't see coaches allowing Pronger to be targetted, no matter how many elbows the guy throws. I can't think of any other time in the past 20 years where a player of Komisarek's stature was targeted for 5+ games & the coach just let it slide. It wasn't just a one-off scrap, we're talking about a feud going back a whole calendar year.

Be honest, what would most coaches in the NHL do if they knew a very good fighter was challenging their #2 defenceman game after game after game? Sure, he had BGL out there to 'ask' him to dance, but it was obvious after turning him down twice he was going to wind up fighting Komisarek.

I haven't said one word in regards to our coach in the past year, but Carbo should have never allowed that to happen. I hope he learns from this.
Exactly... Carbo should have told BGL.. i don't care if you take an extra two minutes for instigating.. you teach that kid a lesson.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:
I'm assuming when Gainey signed Laraque he expected him to be more of a deterrant & you have to wonder if he & Carbo are at odds right now with the way BGL is being used. If so, then Carbo needs to wake up or risk losing his job.

I'm a big Carbo fan obviously, but, you're right a coach has to recognize situations better & be proactive.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
Ditto. I think ThomasJ13 makes some excellent points, so does Beaker, but I have to agree that it was a fight between foes and Komo just lost, plain and simple.

I could, however, have done without the "taunting" at the end. I know he was "pumped" but you have to have some respect for your opponent.

My 2 cents
The crap at the end and the chicken dance crap was the stuff that guys like Avery and Tucker pull. Is that the type of guy Lucic is? Is that the type of guy Bruins fans want him to be? What a hero.

I don't have a problem with the fight between foes stuff, but if you are going to pull that type of crap, and want to maintain a certain level of respect, answer the bell against quality fighters, not just pick your spots. If that's your tactic, you are no better than the Avery's and Tucker's of the world.

Taunting a non-fighter after you win a fight in which he is obviously injured, is akin to Kovalev doing a fist pump and taunting if he beat a guy like Lucic in a skills competition. Big friggen whoop. Lucic is just plain and simple, a goof.

And like Beaker said, next time a Habs/Bruins game is out of hand score wise, BGL should take the instigator penalty if Lucic doesn't want to go. In a 6-1 game, there's no reason the Lucic can't go with BGL. I know good players, who were also good fighters such as Clark, Neely and Tocchet would not have backed down against BGL in that situation.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 11-15-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Blades 0f Steel

And here's another thing: saying 2 players have to drop the gloves to settle gritty, physical play is one of the biggest piles of ******** going here. This kind of thinking is absolute crap.

Komi 'had to' man up to Lucy? I'd like to see that shaved ape block hundreds of shots a year. The kid is like Darcy Tucker on steroids, hit him hard & he goes berzerk. Poor baby can't take a hip check, so he can't let it go. Did Hab fans expect to see Komisarek beat the piss out of Darcy Tucker for all his cheap crap? He hated, and I mean hated that puke...but you never saw him go out of his way to challenge him for all his cheap hits.

Lucic is just a punk that can't stand it when someone gives it right back to him as good as they get it. That is what kept this rivalry going, & that's what led people to believe they should have fought. He hammered Komi with a few charges & crosschecks to his injured hip that didn't get called. Evidently, that wasn't enough for him, as he felt he needed to use his forte(his fists) in order to satisfy his ego.

I can't believe I'm seeing Hab fans buying into this 'Komisarek had to' nonsense.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 11-15-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old
11-15-2008, 09:25 AM
xgallantx
Smart enough to win

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
The crap at the end and the chicken dance crap was the stuff that guys like Avery and Tucker pull. Is that the type of guy Lucic is? .

I never saw a chicken dance after the fight, all I saw was waving his arms up and down to get the crowd going. If it was a challenge to the Habs bench well he'll have to his head on a swivel next game.

As for "it goes both ways" that is an argument that will just go in circles because now Lucic isn't worth BGL, as Komi wasn't worth Lucic...Only a lopsided score will see a tilt. But I would predict it will be both teams top enforcers going Thornton vs. BGL not BGL vs. Lucic because Julien probably won't let it happen. Just as Carbo shouldn't want Komi going w/ Lucic......It's all games within games....

xgallantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:32 AM
JMiller

Bruin's fan here.

I think if anything Komi will gain respect around the league for fighting Lucic. It's not about winning it's about standing up. Yes he lost the fight, but I don't think many people around the league thought he would win. It takes alot of nerve to drop the gloves with a guy like Lucic. I think players around the league know and will respect that.

As far as the BGL vs. Thronton/Lucic goes. If Laraque dropped his gloves and grabbed either of them I think there'd be a fight. I can't picture either of those two turtling. They've fought and lost enough to not be too afraid of losing a scrap again. I know he's afraid of suspension, but BGL needs to do his job. Requesting a fight and then being fine with it when he's declined shouldn't be an excuse.

Looking forward to the next one, I'm sure Montreal will come back strong.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Bruin's fan here.

I think if anything Komi will gain respect around the league for fighting Lucic. It's not about winning it's about standing up. Yes he lost the fight, but I don't think many people around the league thought he would win. It takes alot of nerve to drop the gloves with a guy like Lucic. I think players around the league know and will respect that.

As far as the BGL vs. Thronton/Lucic goes. If Laraque dropped his gloves and grabbed either of them I think there'd be a fight. I can't picture either of those two turtling. They've fought and lost enough to not be too afraid of losing a scrap again. I know he's afraid of suspension, but BGL needs to do his job. Requesting a fight and then being fine with it when he's declined shouldn't be an excuse.

Looking forward to the next one, I'm sure Montreal will come back strong.
I couldn't care less about his respect from Bruin fans or other players, really. In the end, it's a decision that hurt the Habs. Komisarek was already respected across the league. If anything, I'd rather it go back to you guys calling him a p**** & we Hab fans could be satisfied with his shot blocks & hits.

Scott Stevens didn't need to beat people up in order for players to live in fear of him.

Old
11-15-2008, 10:06 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post

Lucic vs. Laroque is absolutely crazy, Laroque has little to no value IMO for you guys. Looch is a regular contributor who has aspects in his game Laroque has never had. Bottom line, Looch got the best of Komi, hard hitter or not, Komi can`t fight worth a lick but he needed to stop his yakking and answer the bell eventually which he did, and good for him.

Lucic would NEVER be called off fighting Laroque, bottom line is, Looch at 20 is already a disciplined player who knows when to pick his spots and with whom. I`d even go so far as to say the way Thornton contributes with his role, he can be deemed too valuable to bother with an insignificant GL.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:56 AM
habtastic

Quote:
And here's another thing: saying 2 players have to drop the gloves to settle gritty, physical play is one of the biggest piles of ******** going here. This kind of thinking is absolute crap.

Komi 'had to' man up to Lucy? I'd like to see that shaved ape block hundreds of shots a year. The kid is like Darcy Tucker on steroids, hit him hard & he goes berzerk. Poor baby can't take a hip check, so he can't let it go. Did Hab fans expect to see Komisarek beat the piss out of Darcy Tucker for all his cheap crap? He hated, and I mean hated that puke...but you never saw him go out of his way to challenge him for all his cheap hits.

Lucic is just a punk that can't stand it when someone gives it right back to him as good as they get it. That is what kept this rivalry going, & that's what led people to believe they should have fought. He hammered Komi with a few charges & crosschecks to his injured hip that didn't get called.

I can't believe I'm seeing Hab fans buying into this 'Komisarek had to' nonsense.
So so true. They don't get it. We have an ELITE defenceman who is really tough. He outplays Lucic in the actual part of the game. And the yapping? Uh hullllo...you think they are they ONLY two that yap at each other after the whistle. Komo's job is to protect our goalies and keep them out of the crease. He does it, and Lucic is like that ******* guy at the bar who wants to pick fights cuz his ego is so small he has to satiate it somehow. B and leaf fans have a tendency of hero-worshipping the most honour-less players (he's got a long way to go before Tucker, but is definitely on the way if he's going to behave like that). Again, I reiterate how right Blades of Steel is. Checking IS allowed. Legal checking. That's what Komo does. Being hammered time and time again by someone the same "size" as you IN PLAY does not warrant a reason to fight unless it's dirty. The fact that it was two way as B fans say means that it wasn't like Komo was unfairly bumping lucy around. They were both playing gritty hockey. Anyway, I'm almost sorry I started this thread. The more I read, the more I realize that Lucic was going headhunting at the "opportune" time against someone who has no idea how to fight with technique (good Kovy analogy with the skills). Like the other thread said: every dog has it's day....and that biotch had his cake, but whether you like it or not...he will pay for it and you B's will not be so cocky anymore cuz he deserves it and you know it.

Ps. Crosby and Semin have it comming...it totally HASSSS to happen

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:03 AM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Well as you've said Savard has acted like a whiny *****, chirping and taunting, many times over the years... however we see things differently... If I was a bruins fan, i'd never want to see Savard in a fight... but you said earlier that many times you'd like to see him take a shot.
These comparisons using Savard and Wideman are a little silly - for obvious reasons. Those guys are both under 5' 11", and couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Let's use an example that is a little more applicable, OK? Remember Paul Mara - relatively big, offensive defenseman, but an absolutely brutal fighter. He used to be one of the few who'd try to stir up crap on those horrible Bruins teams from a couple of seasons ago, and he got himself into a couple of feuds and fights because of it. He also got the crap beaten out of him a couple of times, by guys he should not have been yapping with. It never once crossed my mind that a Bruins enforcer should step in on his behalf. He got himself into those fights, he can fight himself out of them.

And you know what? He did. There was never a "Chara got to get that guy because he beat Mara!!" thread on our board. Paul took his beating, we cheered him, and we carried on.

(and don't even try to say that that's why the Bruins sucked so bad.....they just sucked because - THEY SUCKED!)

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:14 AM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
So so true. They don't get it. We have an ELITE defenceman who is really tough. He outplays Lucic in the actual part of the game. And the yapping? Uh hullllo...you think they are they ONLY two that yap at each other after the whistle. Komo's job is to protect our goalies and keep them out of the crease. He does it, and Lucic is like that ******* guy at the bar who wants to pick fights cuz his ego is so small he has to satiate it somehow. B and leaf fans have a tendency of hero-worshipping the most honour-less players (he's got a long way to go before Tucker, but is definitely on the way if he's going to behave like that). Again, I reiterate how right Blades of Steel is. Checking IS allowed. Legal checking. That's what Komo does. Being hammered time and time again by someone the same "size" as you IN PLAY does not warrant a reason to fight unless it's dirty. The fact that it was two way as B fans say means that it wasn't like Komo was unfairly bumping lucy around. They were both playing gritty hockey. Anyway, I'm almost sorry I started this thread. The more I read, the more I realize that Lucic was going headhunting at the "opportune" time against someone who has no idea how to fight with technique (good Kovy analogy with the skills). Like the other thread said: every dog has it's day....and that biotch had his cake, but whether you like it or not...he will pay for it and you B's will not be so cocky anymore cuz he deserves it and you know it.
It's not the body checking - Lucic gets hit all the time. I'm sure Komisarek does, too. It's the yapping and face washing that has been going on after every whistle between them. If you've ever played the sport, you know how this can get under your skin. It sounds and looks innocuous, but when I played it drove me nuts. Hit me all you want, check me, even charge me during the game - but that after the whistle nonsense of pulling on my jersey, rubbing your glove in my face, and taunting me equates to a challenge in my eyes. And if I ever did that consistently to another player on another team , I'd know fully well that one day I'd have to answer in some fashion other than with my yapping. It's just the way it works.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I didn't quote all your post cause its just too long...

The reason Laraque is involved is because Lucic has run around like he is trying to be the Bruins enforcer... whether he is or not... thats not the way he has been acting. If you wanna act like an enforcer, you better be ready to drop them. Komi never acted like an enforcer.
No just a knee hitting, yapfest artist. As a Hab fan Beakermania, please don`t inflict your views on how you think the game should be played. Nobility is standing up and facing those who face you, how many times have Bruin fans have to watch as Komi turned his back and skated away, all the while continuing to yakk.

I already know what your response will be Beakerboy, he played the smart role, yapped them into a penalty, Komi is too valuable to trade off with Looch, yet you think Laroque for Looch is fair trade?? You are so far off base, Laroque is irrelevant and has been for years, your Habs are in year 100, with a very talented team, a team many pick to be right there in the end. How many minutes, and how much do you think Laroque will contribute to that possible run??? Not bloody much if any.

If the B`s were to make a good run, do ya think, just for a minute, but do ya think Looch will be playing a significant role?? He doesn`t run around and try to be an enforcer, he`s a tough guy who doled out enough fists last year that other teams are weary of going with him this year. Remember Cam Neely or are you too young??

Got to a point that nobody wanted a piece of Mr. Neely, Looch hasn`t quite reached that stage, but to waste time and energy on an insignificant pilon like BGL is pointless.

Old
11-15-2008, 11:24 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Lucic is just a punk that can't stand it when someone gives it right back to him as good as they get it. That is what kept this rivalry going, & that's what led people to believe they should have fought. He hammered Komi with a few charges & crosschecks to his injured hip that didn't get called. Evidently, that wasn't enough for him, as he felt he needed to use his forte(his fists) in order to satisfy his ego.

Name a player on the Habs that contribute in all areas like Lucic, truth is, you have nobody on your team that can bring the kind of game consistently every night, and compete in all areas like Looch. Man your making it sound like Komisarek is 5`8 and has never had a scrap. I`d like to introduce you to my friends like this

"POT MEET KETTLE"

Old
11-15-2008, 11:29 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post
It's not the body checking - Lucic gets hit all the time. I'm sure Komisarek does, too. It's the yapping and face washing that has been going on after every whistle between them. If you've ever played the sport, you know how this can get under your skin. It sounds and looks innocuous, but when I played it drove me nuts. Hit me all you want, check me, even charge me during the game - but that after the whistle nonsense of pulling on my jersey, rubbing your glove in my face, and taunting me equates to a challenge in my eyes. And if I ever did that consistently to another player on another team , I'd know fully well that one day I'd have to answer in some fashion other than with my yapping. It's just the way it works.
I have played the game. I go one more than Kovy. Where do you get the idea that it's Komo that initiates the yapping? If Kosto runs your goalie, you think the after whistle skirmish is going to be "sorry sir how do you do?". Facewashing? Rose coloured glasses if you think Komo has been going AFTER Lucic rather than protecting his net. Does he do that on other parts of the ice? During play? Don't think so. Komo RESPONDS to Lucic's yapping. And if YOU'VE played the game, you'll know what is said during those yaps. More along the lines of, "GTF away from Carey or you will feel it". You HAVE to say that. It's called defending your teammates and the only other person who has done that lately is Boullion (btw against a much taller Ruutu). I remember a couple of years ago Quintal went up against some much tougher guy just so Souray wouldn't have to fight (the guy was trying to pick with Shelly). In that situation, Souray has a broken/weak hand (which Komi apparantly has) and the ONLY thing he could do was blast shots so we had to keep him from fighting. For the rest of the games you watch, take a good look at the scrums and tell me that you think they should all fight each other. Bottom line, Komo is a D protecting his net, nothing more. Not a taunter, just backs up his hits. Either way, you can bet that after that pukeshow, our boys might hit where it really hurts...getting that streak going again. Lucic break one on one vs. Komi...my money is that Lucic doesn't come close to getting a scoring chance.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Name a player on the Habs that contribute in all areas like Lucic, truth is, you have nobody on your team that can bring the kind of game consistently every night, and compete in all areas like Looch. Man your making it sound like Komisarek is 5`8 and has never had a scrap. I`d like to introduce you to my friends like this

"POT MEET KETTLE"
OK.

...how am I a hypocrite? There's no showboating, vicious cheap shots or any running of the mouth that deserves retribution via a fight. Nothing. It was good, hard, physical play. Lucic's vicious crosschecks cancel out Komisarek's botched hip check.

When have I ever said that Komisarek needs to fight a player that has been battling him hard in consecutive meetings? When have I ever said that the Habs need to respond to tough physical play by having someone go out there & fight a guy for laying some hard checks? I hate that ****! I hate how you can't throw a good, clean hit anymore without having to defend yourself in a fight. I hate babies like Tucker that take exception to people playing them hard.

Should Evgeny Malkin need to fight Alex Ovechkin because the two are at each other's throats?

I think what you're sorely mistaken about is the fact that I think Lucic needs to answer the bell for:
1)trying to fight our #2 Dman, & subsequently having him injured
2)taunting the Habs bench after ducking Laraque
This does not make me a hypocrite.

Fighting should only take place after a dirty hit or some jackass antics.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 11-15-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old
11-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Krautso

Quote:

"POT MEET KETTLE"
The kid has two points in his last 8 games playing as a first line winger. We had a top line kid produce those kinds of numbers earlier in the season, he was busted down to the third line.....

Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
The kid has two points in his last 8 games playing as a first line winger. We had a top line kid produce those kinds of numbers earlier in the season, he was busted down to the third line.....
Lucic is already a Hall of Famer for them, so don't try to tell them he's not.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:54 AM
znk

Quote:
The difference is Lucic kills people on the ice. He's beast....ours is a teddy bear.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 11:56 AM
smon

Quote:
Seriously, and apparently Lucic is contributing in ways that not one player in Montreal is.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

"POT MEET KETTLE"
Lucic doesn't bring anything to the Bruins other then toughness, he's on the first line but he's not a first liner. Your fan base is delusional.

And dont come on my board and tell me I can't name a player that plays with his heart and gives it his all.. Because obviously you've never seen Saku Koivu play, he returned against in the playoffs and put you guys to rest. There is few players in this league that play with as much heart as him.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Seriously, and apparently Lucic is contributing in ways that not one player in Montreal is.
If we wanted to break it down even more for a player who "consistently brings it".

Aside from a career night at home vs atlanta (3 g 1A) he has 5 pts in 15 games with one fight. of his 41 tough guy PIMs he has two 10 minute misconducts for yapping/facewashing/agitating without dropping the mitts, an unsportsmanlike, three holding penalties and an interference penalty (because he's weak defensively - 10th on his team in +/- and not much footspeed)

Yeah he brings it every night alright.

Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 12:35 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
I mentioned nothing about stats, I said contribute, whether you consider contributing only by stats, that`s one thing, Lucic`s contributions stretch far beyone numbers

Old
11-15-2008, 12:40 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I mentioned nothing about stats, I said contribute, whether you consider contributing only by stats, that`s one thing, Lucic`s contributions stretch far beyone numbers
Yes, indeed.

When the team goes to bars his team-mates look MUCH more attractive when he is around. True contributor.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote