HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG Prez Scott O'Neil talk

Old
11-14-2008, 12:23 PM
justdewit*

vCash: 500
MSG Prez Scott O'Neil talk

What's everyone's thoughts so far on the MSG prez, Scott O'Neil? I've read about him a little bit, and he seems to have an impressive background - but, it's still too early to tell. Going to see him with my business class cuz hes givin a talk about how to break into and be successful in the sports industry. It's gonna be on Dec. 2 in the WaMu Theater at the Garden if anybody wants to go.. theres also a discount code "O'NEIL" that my class got that'll work for anyone through today (Friday).

https://orders.thegarden.com/salesfo...?Code=O%27NEIL

justdewit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 12:56 PM
blue2noise

I have no thoughts. This means he's doing his job.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 02:46 PM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaJoe View Post
What's everyone's thoughts so far on the MSG prez, Scott O'Neil? I've read about him a little bit, and he seems to have an impressive background - but, it's still too early to tell. Going to see him with my business class cuz hes givin a talk about how to break into and be successful in the sports industry. It's gonna be on Dec. 2 in the WaMu Theater at the Garden if anybody wants to go.. theres also a discount code "O'NEIL" that my class got that'll work for anyone through today (Friday).

https://orders.thegarden.com/salesfo...?Code=O%27NEIL
Dude, don't wanna burst your bubble or anything, just throw a dose of reality on your fire here. I saw Dave Checketts give the same talk in 1992. And 1993. And I spent more than 8 years working inside the "sports industry", thanks to some great contacts. Here's the deal. It's all who you know. If you don't know anyone that has the power to convince the people you interview with (if you get that far), you will not work in a relevant job in the sports industry. Talent and ability only take you so far, and there are a TON of super fans that want to work in sports that think a career in sports will be fun 24/7/365. It isn't.

Here is some good advice from someone who has lived it and moved on. And I am sure that Scott O'Neil will say the same thing. Get a good well rounded business education. Law school is good. Sports teams don't want people who are sports experts. They want people who are PR experts, and good Negotiators, etc... that have a passion for sports.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 03:59 PM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan2 View Post
Dude, don't wanna burst your bubble or anything, just throw a dose of reality on your fire here. I saw Dave Checketts give the same talk in 1992. And 1993. And I spent more than 8 years working inside the "sports industry", thanks to some great contacts. Here's the deal. It's all who you know. If you don't know anyone that has the power to convince the people you interview with (if you get that far), you will not work in a relevant job in the sports industry. Talent and ability only take you so far, and there are a TON of super fans that want to work in sports that think a career in sports will be fun 24/7/365. It isn't.

Here is some good advice from someone who has lived it and moved on. And I am sure that Scott O'Neil will say the same thing. Get a good well rounded business education. Law school is good. Sports teams don't want people who are sports experts. They want people who are PR experts, and good Negotiators, etc... that have a passion for sports.
This has to be one of the most sensible things I've ever seen anyone write on this board. Well done.

Old
11-14-2008, 04:02 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
He spoke at my school last year and all he says is you have to know people basically. His dad is a prof. at my school (had him for a class...nice guy, awful prof. but easy A) so we got him to talk here. He seems like a real chill guy.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 05:05 PM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatzism View Post
This has to be one of the most sensible things I've ever seen anyone write on this board. Well done.
Thanks for the props. I figured even if I knew people, including a couple of different OWNERS, I could get any job I wanted. But remember, owners knows LOTS of people, and many of them have kids and cousins and neighbors who are pretty smart people.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:

Please, wrap this up and send it to all the horrible institutions that are half-assing a Sports Management program/degree and selling it to wide-eyed, desperate, sports-wannabe-execs, kids.

I can't really think of another degree that is as much of a scam as sports management.

You're completely right. Pick a single skill you think you can and want to develop, and then try to use that to get into the sports world.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 03:21 PM
in the hall

Quote:

It is mostly about being lucky (right place at the right time) and who you know but you also have to work hard and do well.

I've seen Scott around a lot and have had minimal interaction with him. I can tell you this much, both he and Steve Mills are two of the nicest human beings you can encounter, actually the same can be said for a good amount of the higher ups at MSG. It's clear Scott cares a lot about what he does and he is an extremely genuine person that does not give you any BS. I have a lot of respect for both and the others that are so approachable and carry themselves that way.

If you want more info on Scott O'Neil night and would like to go, send me a PM. I'm going to go just for the experience. I think its a great opportunity for young people that want to or are working in sports or even business.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote