HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton, Cincinnati Thread 08-09, Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Qui Gon Dave

vCash: 500
Wow, 'Snatching defeat from the jaws of victor', a tale of surprise and horror brought to you by the Hamilton Bulldogs.

For once, the PP was a real strong point and with no PPs in the 3rd, well, little offense. Dogs lose 6-4 after giving up a bunch of goals in quick succession. The boys looked tired and Desjardins got very shakey in the third. He made some big saves, but towards the end, it just looked like his head was out of the game, couldn't control most shots coming at him. He got beaten by a redirect, then a shot from the low slot after a pass from behind the net, then didn't cover his near post going across the crease, left two holes and the forward fired the puck into one of them. Finally there was an empty netter.

Brutal end to the game, should have got something from that one. But I won't be too hard on them as they are playing some good hockey and at the end of 3 in 3 nights, no wonder they are tired. Shame, could have been a great result for them. Ah well, on to the next game and hopefully they will be more than fired up for it.

Old
11-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Mustafa*

I've been looking and i just can,t find a page with the Dogs roster and all the stats of the players on a single page.

i just found one http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/rds.rcs.h...P=AHLTEAMSTATS

Old
11-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I've been looking and i just can,t find a page with the Dogs roster and all the stats of the players on a single page.

i just found one http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/rds.rcs.h...P=AHLTEAMSTATS

here's another

Old
11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Mustafa*

Hey guys, if you would have to describe the season so far would you say it was good? And who are the players that did well, apart from dago who seems on fire, who would you talk about? And what about Glumac?

Old
11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Man, D'Agostini has to be called up soon if he keeps this torrid pace, it's just not fair.

Old
11-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Wow, 'Snatching defeat from the jaws of victor', a tale of surprise and horror brought to you by the Hamilton Bulldogs.

For once, the PP was a real strong point and with no PPs in the 3rd, well, little offense. Dogs lose 6-4 after giving up a bunch of goals in quick succession. The boys looked tired and Desjardins got very shakey in the third. He made some big saves, but towards the end, it just looked like his head was out of the game, couldn't control most shots coming at him. He got beaten by a redirect, then a shot from the low slot after a pass from behind the net, then didn't cover his near post going across the crease, left two holes and the forward fired the puck into one of them. Finally there was an empty netter.

Brutal end to the game, should have got something from that one. But I won't be too hard on them as they are playing some good hockey and at the end of 3 in 3 nights, no wonder they are tired. Shame, could have been a great result for them. Ah well, on to the next game and hopefully they will be more than fired up for it.
I agree completely, I couldn't believe the implosion in the 3rd. 3 games in 3 nights had to be the reason for the egg laying in the 3rd. The boys just didn't look like they could compete by then. This weekends games(Montreal,Hamilton Buffalo Bills) ruined my mojo in my league game on Sunday night. I played the worst game of my life. Couldn't stop a beachball. I took Desjardins play in the 3rd with me.

Can't wait to get that one behind me.

Old
11-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Hey guys, if you would have to describe the season so far would you say it was good? And who are the players that did well, apart from dago who seems on fire, who would you talk about? And what about Glumac?
Good? Certainly. A strong case can be made for 'very good' too. Considering the roster changes that have happened since last year with not only rookies but veterans as well, in all positions, and how last season went, the start of this year is very encouraging. They have taken 19 from a possible 28 points. Currently 2nd in the division, 3rd in conference, near the top of the league overall. So yeah, not too shabby

As for players, well, they are playing as a team first and foremost so credit them all for playing their part and the coaching staff for getting things working early on.

Denis has been very good in goal, he deserves props for his play and giving the team confidence.

On the blueline, Henry and Jancevski have been a good steadying presence and Weber has shown that he can compete well at the AHL level.

Up front, well, new vets Glumac and Lehoux have started well, doing what they need to do, scoring and setting a good example. Flinn has fought just about everyone he could and sticks up for anyone. Maxwell and Pacioretty have been finding their feet and contributing, Desharnais has worked his rear off and put up points and other guys in the lineup are doing their jobs. Chipchura has been improving since his arrival and has played some excellent hockey the last few games.

All in all, very promising. Now we just have to work through the long part of the season and keep the play good until hopefully getting hot down the stretch. A good start may well save some worrying later on. So far,

Old
11-12-2008, 01:46 PM
CalgaryBlue

vCash: 1938
Seen that Russell was not dressed for the last game. Is he hurt from the shot to the foot or is a healthy scratch

Old
11-13-2008, 04:51 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryBlue View Post
Seen that Russell was not dressed for the last game. Is he hurt from the shot to the foot or is a healthy scratch
I didn't hear much of the pre-game before the last match so I don't really know for sure. My best guess would be that Lever wanted to make room for Trotter to come back, so Russell sat. Normally, I'd expect Russell and Aubin to fight over a spot but Lever wanted to give Aubin another game after playing well the night before. Seeing as he wanted to get Trotter back in as well, I figure he made Russell a healthy scratch although there may well be some lingering effects from the shot he blocked.

On another topic, an article on Chipchura becoming captain from the Spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spec / Don Lever
Bulldogs coach Don Lever says choosing Chipchura for that role was pretty much a no-brainer. "Overall work ethic, leadership ability and background," Lever explained. "He's solid in the dressing room and gives everything he's got every game. He's also well respected in the room."
Lever clearly thinks very highly of the kid. And although it would be nice to see Chip in Montreal, I'm glad Lever was finally able to name him captain of the Dogs this year., he's been waiting long enough to do it.

Old
11-13-2008, 08:06 AM
limelight

Russell blocked a shot with his foot and he was injured on the play. Lever said that had it been a playoff game Ryan would have played. He sat him more as a precaution and he wanted to give him a week to rest up his foot.

Old
11-13-2008, 09:39 AM
CalgaryBlue

vCash: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelight View Post
Russell blocked a shot with his foot and he was injured on the play. Lever said that had it been a playoff game Ryan would have played. He sat him more as a precaution and he wanted to give him a week to rest up his foot.
Thanks for the update

Old
11-13-2008, 03:33 PM
AllCanadienFan

Lever clearly thinks very highly of the kid. And although it would be nice to see Chip in Montreal, I'm glad Lever was finally able to name him captain of the Dogs this year., he's been waiting long enough to do it.[/QUOTE]

Agree that Chipchura is a great choice. Have to wonder by the "no brainer" comment by Lever. If so why did it take so long to make the decision? Does that mean he doesn't think that Jancevski and Henry bring any leadership skills to the table? From what I've seen they are part of the reason a young defense is playing as well as they are. If he is trying to make a point with them he should come out and state it. If not he should get his brain in sinc with his mouth. this is not the first time.

Old
11-13-2008, 04:38 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Lever clearly thinks very highly of the kid. And although it would be nice to see Chip in Montreal, I'm glad Lever was finally able to name him captain of the Dogs this year., he's been waiting long enough to do it.
Agree that Chipchura is a great choice. Have to wonder by the "no brainer" comment by Lever. If so why did it take so long to make the decision? Does that mean he doesn't think that Jancevski and Henry bring any leadership skills to the table? From what I've seen they are part of the reason a young defense is playing as well as they are. If he is trying to make a point with them he should come out and state it. If not he should get his brain in sinc with his mouth. this is not the first time.[/QUOTE]

My guess:

Chipchura started the year in Montreal.

So Lever couldn't name Chipchura when he was still in Montreal.

When Chipchura finally return in Hamilton, Lever probably wanted to see Chipchura in action for a few games before naming him the Captain of Bulldogs..

I think it's was just a matters of time...

Old
11-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Agree that Chipchura is a great choice. Have to wonder by the "no brainer" comment by Lever. If so why did it take so long to make the decision? Does that mean he doesn't think that Jancevski and Henry bring any leadership skills to the table? From what I've seen they are part of the reason a young defense is playing as well as they are. If he is trying to make a point with them he should come out and state it. If not he should get his brain in sinc with his mouth. this is not the first time.
I don't think it is any reflection on Jancevski or Henry, just on how highly Lever regards Chipchura. When Chipchura was sent to the AHL last year, Lever said then that if he had started the year in Hamilton, he'd have been named captain of the Dogs then. With Chipchura returning to the Dogs early on this year, it was only a matter of time before Kyle was named captain in my opinion. Maybe the delay was just to see if he would get called back up again shortly after? Give the new guys time to see what Kyle is all about?

As for Lever making a point about anybody, if he wants to call someone out, he has shown in the past he doesn't mind saying so to either the press or Derek/Al. For the guys mentioned, I doubt he has any reason to call them out so like I said, it's probably just a reflection on how important he thinks Chipchura is.

Old
11-13-2008, 09:16 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Loic Lacasse was put on the 30-day IR list by the Cyclones today.

Edit: just found out that Conrad Martin has re-signed with Cincinnati.

Habs Prospects website

Last edited by habsprospects: 11-13-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old
11-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Dogs down to the Amerks 2-1 after the first, more details after the Habs finish.

Maxwell with a sweet PP goal for the Dogs.

Edit:

End of the 2nd, game tied at 3

D'Ago with a lucky bounce and then Chipchura on a breakaway mere seconds later.

Edit 2:

Dogs win 4-3

1st period

- Carle turns the puck over outside the dogs zone and on the resulting breakaway, the Amerks player goes to the backhand and slips a the puck 5 hole: 1-0
- The is followed up by a goal mouth scramble which the Amerks convert on: 2-0
- In the Habs game, Laraque just finishes fighting and seconds later, Flinn starts too. Didn't really see this one due to feed problems but it sounded like a good, close bout.
- D'Agostini takes a shot, the rebound falls to someone, maybe Trotter, who hits the post from close in.
- The Dogs score on the PP. The puck is on the near side boards and the Amerks are all on the near side of the ice. Maxwell skates in behind the lot of them, takes a pass, makes a move on the goalie who is at the top of his crease and slips the puck in behind him: 2-1
- Kyle Chipchura sets the tone on the PK, chasing the puck down the ice, winning it while outnumbered on the nearside boards before getting his head up and making a pass to someone driving the net down the middle of the ice. Sadly, the pass was just a few inches too far in front of the on rushing Dog.

2nd period

- A shot from the slot bounces off the backboards and Denis can't find it in time before it is tapped in from the side of the net: 3-1
- The Dogs give the puck away at the blueline once again, Weber skating away from his own zone as it happens and the Dogs look to be in trouble. Denis bails the team out with a huge save.
- Lehoux makes a cross ice pass to Aubin going into the Amerks zone and he drifts towards the net. D'Agostini makes a rush diagonally across the ice behind the Amerk near Aubin and takes a saucer pass from him. D'Ago darts behind the net, round the other side and tries firing it in front to Lehoux (I think). The Dman nearest him gets his stick in the way but it bounces off his stick and into the net: 3-2
- Seconds after the faceoff following that goal, Chipchura is soooo slow he takes a pass, splits the D and goes in on a breakaway. He makes a move to the forehand and roofs the shot high blocker side to tie the game: 3-3
- Stewart got into a fight and boy did he look menacing. As the fight was about to start, the Amerk threw his stick/gloves down, ready to go. Stewart just drifts slowly towards him, slowly taking his gloves off as if to say "you don't know what you're in for here". Stewart starts off taking more of the punches but by the end of it, has gained the upper hand and is landing more punches. Slight edge to Stewart.

3rd period

- On the PK, Russell did a great Steve Begin impression, throwing himself in front of a shot to block it with his shins. He was fine, no injury, unlike when he stood up to block one the other week.
- Russell on his next shift had a great rush up the left wing, almost slipped the puck under the goalie but it was stopped on or close to the line.
- D'Agostini nearly scored on the PK, a rush down the left wing followed by a hard cut to the back post. Couldn't get the shot away, did draw a call though.
- At this point, it's 13 minutes into the period, the Amerks have had 3 PPs and managed a grand total of zero shots in that time.
- The Dogs get a 5 on 3 for just over a minute. Lehoux gets the puck in the near corner and as is becoming a familiar sight, feeds a pass to the front of the net for a teammate to score. D'Agostini with the tip that wins the game: 4-3

Not a great game by the Dogs but some good comeback skills displayed and they get the points.

They play again tomorrow in an early game.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 11-15-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old
11-15-2008, 10:04 PM
pc_md

D'agostini with two other goals tonight... The kid is on fire. He's second in the league behind Gerbe (Sabre's prospect) for goals scored.

Lehoux with 3 assists. What an improvement over Manlow !

Chipchura with a goal: he has 3 goals in his last 3 games.

Old
11-16-2008, 07:55 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
D'agostini with two other goals tonight... The kid is on fire. He's second in the league behind Gerbe (Sabre's prospect) for goals scored.

Lehoux with 3 assists. What an improvement over Manlow !

Chipchura with a goal: he has 3 goals in his last 3 games.

Good news is the power play seems to be improving. Bad news is we gave a bottom dweller a chance to win.
If it wasn't for the 5 on 3 late in the game we could have just as easily lost it. The passing was terrible and we seemed to get lost in our own end. Hopefully we comeback today with an effort like we had against Hershey or Toronto. Anyone know what happened to Anderson he wasn't dressed?

Old
11-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Qui Gon Dave

End of the 1st - Dogs down 1-0 to the Amerks

The Dogs started off by taking an early penalty, Dan Jan the man who put the Dogs in the hole but the PK is working nicely tonight. In fact, they got a good scoring chance when White and Desharnais had a two on one. White on the left, fed a pass to DD on the right, who returned it and left White with a difficult angle in tight to the goal to score from.

Not long later, the Dogs had a good chance after Shantz gave up a rebound to the slot but Glumac couldn't convert the chance. At the other end, Weber made a nice defensive play after being caught flat footed at the Amerks blueline and having to chase the puck back to the Dogs zone under pressure. He held the forechecker off well, nice display of strength and balance to protect the puck and then move it clear of danger. Carle followed that up with a good play of his own. He was the man back on an Amerks 2 on 1 but he dropped to the ice to stop the puck being sent across the crease. Although he didn't make a standout play, Wyman looks good at the back, moves the puck well and doesn't look out of his depth.

Flinn turned the puck over near the Dogs blueline but was bailed out by Denis who got his stick on a pass to the front of the net to prevent an Amerks forward getting the puck. At the other end, Glumac took advantage of a giveaway outside the Amerks zone, stepped over the line and ripped a slapshot just over the net.

Russell made a smart play on the PK to clear the puck, right place at the right time, bought himself time to look up and got it down the ice. Not long later, Denis made a nice save through a crowd after sustained pressure in the Dogs zone. Pressure not helped much later when Trotter turned the puck over in his own zone with a bad pass, but Denis was there again with a smart glove save.

He couldn't make a glove save as the Amerks took the lead with a wrist shot from the point, not too high off the ice that got by a screen and just inside the near post. Denis had tried clearing the puck moments earlier but the guy who picked it off scored seconds later.

2nd period coming up...

Old
11-16-2008, 04:20 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

J T Wyman the defensemen. I like it. I didn't see last nights game so I suppose he was on defense then too? At least he's getting ice time.

I see that Trotter is back in the lineup after riding the pine for 2 games. That turnover he had isn't a good way to show you want to stay in the lineup.

Nice play by Chipchura on the SH goal by Russell, Chipchura looking good again tonight. He's really stepped it up after getting the C.

Old
11-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Qui Gon Dave

End of the 2nd period - Amerks lead 2-1

Dogs struggling to make an impact against what is supposed to be a weaker team. All hail the power of a derby/rivalry game.

Wyman made a nice early play to prevent a 2 on 1 turning into a clear breakaway for one Amerks forward. More solid play from him. When he can't make a good play to help the team move forward, he makes a sensible play to clear the zone and let the team regroup. Thumbs up so far.

Glumac had a breakaway from the Dogs blueline following a turnover but his shot was partially stopped by Shantz, whose glove got enough to deflect the puck out of play. At the other end, Repik ran into Denis and that started something. Aside from the scrum, it started a Dogs PP, but you'd have to have been counting the players to determine if either team should have any form of advantage. Later in the period, the PP looked better and that was when they started getting the puck to Lehoux in the left corner. Anyone else watching think that he is the go to guy on the Dogs PP? He gets the puck, he makes things happen. Other guys have their moments, but Lehoux is a constant source of inspiration out there with his calmness and his passing skills.

The Dogs tied the game while shorthanded. Chipchura stole the puck in the Dogs zone and legged it down the ice with Russell making it a 2 on 1. Chip set up for a split second to suggest he would shoot before making the pass, which Russell one timed into the net. Russell from Chipchura while shorthanded. That goal ties the Dogs for the league lead in shorties with 5

The Dogs then took another penalty to make it a 5 on 3 and it didn't take Rochester more than a few seconds to score again. A Fitzpatrick slapshot hit the bar and fell behind Denis, Rekip was first on the scene to score from inches away from the goalline.

Carle managed another great defensive play, making up somewhat for his mistake last night. This time, as an opposing forward tried beating him round the outside, he made a good pokecheck to clear the puck to the boards.

At the other end, Glumac made anice move to get room for a shot on the PP but that was comfortably saved. D'agostini also had a good chance but fired a blast of a shot inches wide of the far post and it bounced back down the ice.

3rd period coming up...

Old
11-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Professor Snipe does it again

Russell with the Hat Trick now

Old
11-16-2008, 05:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Professor Snipe does it again

Russell with the Hat Trick now
D'Agostini is on fire! scoring left and right

Russell with his best game in the AHL

And Chipchura has been a force since getting the C

Dogs fans got to love what they are seeing!

Old
11-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
And Chipchura has been a force since getting the C
What do you reckon, since getting the C, Chipchura has looked like he did when he went into playoff mode a couple years back? He looks it to me, maybe even better. Good to see some depth on the farm pushing the guys in Montreal.

Edit:

End of the game - Dogs win 5-2

What a third period, just exciting almost the entire way through.

Starts with Denis getting absolutely pancaked and the Dogs go to the PP. On said PP, Russell makes a move out front of the net, goes to the back post and after a swing and a miss, connects and sends the puck into the goal. Russell from White and Chipchura on the PP.

Comedy moment #1: Jancevski has the puck behind the Dogs net. Amerks forechecker sees him. Amerks forechecker sprints at him. Jancevski sees forechecker. Jancevski steps to one side. Forechecker flies out of control into end boards and onto arse. Jancevski skates away.

Denis made some nice saves in the third including a great kicksave on a hard shot.

Comedy moment #2: An Amerk play sees a teammate making a line change. He waits til he gets close to the bench. The guy on the bench jumps over the boards. The guy lands on his feet. Briefly. He then lands on his arse very soon after.

The Dogs take the lead on one of many shorthanded goals tonight, this one by Professor Snipe. He had a rangefinder a few minutes earlier, looks like the first one that missed served a purpose. He walks in off the right wing and fakes a shot, drifts a little more and then rips a wrister right into the far top corner. Beautiful shot. D'Agostini from Lehoux shorthanded.

The Dogs continue this seasons tradition of scoring goals in quick bursts as Russell gets a well deserved hat-trick. Chipchura chases the puck to the Amerks end boards on the PK, battles for it, wins it to one side, turns and feeds a pass into the slot as Russell skates in. Russell fires and scores to get the trick going with a shortie, a PP goal and another shortie. Well done to the kid, he's been playing well lately and gets a nice reward and game to remember tonight. Russell from Chipchura and Henry.

At the other end, the Amerks put a shot off the post seconds before Chipchura put an Amerk off the post and into the Dogs net. After his penalty ended, Lehoux scored into the empty net to make it 5-2 with 0.1 seconds left in the game, 2nd time I recall the Dogs scoring with 0.1 seconds left this season (Chipchura got an empty netter a few weeks ago).

The Dogs weren't convincing early but held in there and turned it on as the game went by. Credit to the guys for getting the points once again.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 11-16-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old
11-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Dogs fans got to love what they are seeing!
Reason to take them away from them....

Seriously, I mean, clearly both D'Ago and Chip doesn't have much to learn down there. At least they should be called up to see how they could translate this. I understand there's no spot though....but something will need to be done....You cannot have a offensive drought upstairs and a guy lightining up in Hamilton without at least giving him a shot....

As far Wyman, I've never seen him on D, how does he handles himself. Does he pinches once in a while? Or is he mainly defensive. You would think that being a winger he might conduct himself defensive and offensive....

Closed Thread