HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rookies or Veterans?

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Nhlyounggun11

vCash: 500
Rookies or Veterans?

How does everyone feel about the Flyers becoming a rather young team? Do you think it's the best way to create a Stanley Cup team, or would you rather be secure with 30+ year old veterans, that have already proven themselves in the NHL? I think that younger players would be better for the team.

Old
07-11-2004, 03:42 AM
Nuclear

I'd rather have a mix. Like 60% veterans, 40% young players.

It's full coverage come playoff time. When the veterans are tired, the young players take what they learned during the year and play.

Old
07-11-2004, 04:51 AM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
I'd rather have a mix. Like 60% veterans, 40% young players.

It's full coverage come playoff time. When the veterans are tired, the young players take what they learned during the year and play.
i'd go the other way, 60% kids and 40 % vets. a few good vets can lead a team by example with quality minutes, instead of a big quantity of minutes. kids develope through expereince, aka ice time. the only veterans that i'd want on the ice with big minutes is a 25-30 minute d-man (KJ), a big forward (Preems) and ideally an experienced goalie. right now, the flyers need another big season from Esche and for my theory, the Flyers have the 3 keys to a cup. with the flyers current roster of rookies (Carter, Richards, Pitkanen, etc.) and the important vets with atleast 3-4 years more to go, all the SOB's need is a NHL season.

Old
07-11-2004, 10:00 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
This should not be a question of veterans and rookies.

It should be a question of how much of the players were developed by the team, and how much are here through free agency and trades.

There has never been a team to win the Stanley Cup in which the core of the team was mostly from FA and trades. Take a look at all parts of history, even recent history. The Wings, Avs, and Devils all clearly were based around a core of players that were developed within the franchise itself.

Old
07-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I agree with ObeySteve. The team needs to start developing its own players. I think they are on the right track. This team can only win the Cup if certain teams choke. I think currently TB and Ottawa are superior teams. I think the Flyers are a very good team, but just not good enough to win the Cup unless these teams are eliminated first. For example,like the 1986 and 1993 Montreal Candian teams only won cause Edmonton and and Pittsburgh were eliminated first. This, to me, is the only way this Flyers team can win. As such, I say retool and hope that we will be the next team to assert itself after these two are old.

Sorry for the strange ramblings.

Old
07-11-2004, 10:44 AM
RoDu

go with the kids with a handfull of vets, there's just somthing more rewarding watching a team win that wins with the kids they draft than free agents and trades, I guess just watching the kids mature is it

Old
07-11-2004, 12:45 PM
FlyersFan10*

I agree with letting the kids play. However, the problem this organization has is that they don't have the patience to let the kids develop. Hitchcock has shown that he demands perfection from everyone and if you make a mistake, you're hung out to dry. He's going to have to lighten up a bit and learn that the kids are going to make mistakes. Also, with the game plan that Hitch uses, he expects all his players to be like Mike Modano and Jere Lehtinen. He needs to use an offensive system that is suited for his players. Hey, we played an offensive game in the playoffs and we won. We played a defensive game and we lost. Hopefully, Hitch and the rest of the coaching staff clue in on this fact and start using a more high pressure offensive game. We have the personnel to do it.

Old
07-12-2004, 08:33 AM
Cuiff

Though I think a mix is the best way to go, right now the Flyers need to get younger, quickly. I believe the Pens did it right. Once their shot at a cup was over, they rebulit with youth. Now they are beginning to sign a few vets. In two years or so, I see them being a real player in the East. The Flyers seem to just recycle old vets in order to stay competitive. The problem is that in doing this they miss out on the top end prospects. I am aware that a top prospect does not always mean a top player but a lot of times teams do make the right picks picks (again, see the Pens) The Flyers sign decent players after they been through the grind. Yes these player may have more experience but the pro game has been beating these players up for the past 8 to 10 years. That does tend to take some pop out of a persons legs. Plus teams (even cash strapped) usually don't let Marquee players go without a trade, something the Flyers always see to miss out on and therefore they sign 31 year old 2nd line players and act as if they just took the show.

Just my opinion

Old
07-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Jester

In the perfect world you add a young player from the system every year, maybe two. So you get a constant flow of youth into the system and build through that... I'm really hoping Ruzicka makes a statement that he should be given a shot on the wing, and one of Carter and Richards is up and playing with the big boys when the season starts.

You really want to keep the average age of the team around 28/29 in my opinion, and also stay away from guys that are 35+ getting to be a majority on your team. You look at the Leafs for example, their average age wasn't that bad, but they had all these guys that were 35+ playing big minutes... that kills you in the playoffs.

As long as every year you do as I say, bring in some talent to add to the base you already got. Keep continuity in the locker room, as long as the players are worth keeping obviously, you are going to remain a very competitive team through good drafting and smart trades. Then when you hit with a draft pick that comes in and performs well you are in real good shape to be a truly dangerous team... Hopefully that is the spot we are in right now.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:20 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Wel if you are going to have some kids play you have to give them a chance. dont stick them on the 4th line. they would never learn anything playing 7 minutes or less a game.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Sum1winachampionship

I say go young. Unless they can find someone to come in and replace Recchi, they've already taken a large step back. Add in to the fact that our vets are another year older and I'd say our best strategy would be to take the next two years to purge the older players (Amonte, LeClair, Desjardins, Burke) while bringing in their replacements and giving them QUALITY time.

Old
07-12-2004, 12:21 PM
PhillyPhil

You have to go young. Just look at what happened with the Toronto Maple Leafs. They traded most of their draft picks and prospects for a bunch of geriatrics. That didnít work! I think you need to let your young talent develop properly in the farm system. Then you bring them up and let them play and learn with your veterans. You canít bench them and hope for the best.

Old
07-12-2004, 12:53 PM
VaFlyer

It is important to have a mix of youth and rookies combined with veterans to be really competitive for a cup. The youth gives you a different kind of play with their fresh legs, but the vets know how to gut wins out. The vets must teach the youth how to do just that.

Closed Thread