HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Was O'Byrne always so passive?

Old
11-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
He had quite a few bad pinches that caused odd man rushes the other way. Then again, I didn't really pay much attention as I wasn't totally into tonight's game and changed the channel.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I like O'Byrne, but man was tonight brutal.
He's been brutal since Game 1 this season; Komo was like this in his first season and a half or so, but I'm not sold O'Byrne can become that type of pointman.

We need to place Breezer on waivers, BADLY .

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 05:57 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kovalev View Post
Youre asking that question now? Weren't you one of those who thought we should move Bouillon so that he would have more ice time? Anyways. OByrne never was or never will be a big hitter and a good fighter. His assets are his big reach and skating ability.(although his skating does look kinda weird) This is just a case of people watching way too much Youtube. Im far from being a big OByrne fan but hes still pretty young for a Dmen. I say we let him play this year and judge him afterwards.
You could not be more wrong. He was told to tone the hitting down a bit and concentrate on playing hockey if he wanted to make the NHL while he was in college. The Habs asked him to do so.This is why he is like that. He was a real hitting machine and enjoyed punishing opponents. He was always trying to land a punishing hit to the point where it was hurting his play. Once he realizes he belongs and stop respecting the opponent too much, he'll start gradually doing it again IMO. Please don't make uninformed comments like that and make them sound like a known fact.

Last edited by peperebougon*: 11-16-2008 at 11:28 AM.
peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:56 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
When you say "use his speed" it implies he's speedy, no?

Now you've adjusted to say "speed for his size" which is a very different thing.

More to the point, however, is that O'Byrne struggles with his mobility. If he were more mobile, perhaps his footspeed would be a better asset. As it stands right now, the only time I really find myself noticing his speed is when he's coming up ice to join a play, meaning, when he doesn't have the puck.

As for Elder, you said the hit was so hard you thought he *killed* him. If you took offense to me saying you were "wetting your pants" with that comment, then I apologize. I was merely pointing you your overzealousness, I meant no offense.

As for the whole YouTube thing - really? I mean, if I find a big hit from Sergei Berezin on YouTube does that make him a big hitter too? What's the point of bringing up YouTube in a conversation about a hockey players ability to take the body? You're a better poster then that.

Ditto for the comments about the Hamilton board. I've never posted there in my life... what does that prove? Does that now mean that I didn't see those games? I don't even understand where you're going with this 'argument.' Then you go on to say that O'Byrne wasn't an AHL All-Star because of his offense?

Huh?

Who said he was? Is the implication that him being an AHL All-Star proves he's a good hitter in the NHL? Don't you think it's more likely that it means he played well defensively?

I suspect that O'Byrne, right now, is absorbing a lot of things from the coaching staff and trying to implement them into his game. I'm not so worried about his ability right now, I'm more interested in how well he's playing around Christmas.

I spend so much time on these boards reasoning with the O'Byrne supporters here that one thing is really getting lost in all of these posts: I think the kid can be a good NHL defenseman. I just don't think he's anywhere near that yet. Big, defensive defenseman have the toughest learning curve in the NHL, in my opinion. Right now O'Bryne is proving that.
When I say he uses his speed, he's a big boy that's a fact, how many guys that are 6'5-6'6 are considered speedy? O'B imo is speedy when you factor in his huge frame, he moves well for such a big player.

The hit on Elder was freaking great, it was a treat to watch but I can assure you I never wet my pants, or at least not since I was 2 or had way way too much to drink.

As for youtube, I brought it up cause he's played in only 44 nhl games and yet if you youtube his name you will find several big hits, Campbell, Ruttuu, Williams and more. So in half a season worth of games played he's already got a number of big hits, and imo he's still got a ways to go before we really see him play more physical.

As for the Hamilton board, I meant the hamilton thread at the top of the page, yes I do find it strange that you say you saw O'B a lot in Hamilton and yet I don't recall seeing you post in the thread, I guess I just assume that when people see our prospects play they post about it, since we are at hockeysfuture.

As for O'B being an AHL All star, he was good defensively and he has a good hitter, it's not like he was great defensively as I'm sure you know since you saw him a lot and we all know it's not his offense that got him there.

The one thing we agree on is that O'B is not there yet, he's got a long ways to go and I suspect it's going to take at least 2 years if not more. I'm more interested in seeing how he does when he's around 200 NHL games under his belt, hopefully for him and the Habs, he's much better by then.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:04 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
When I say he uses his speed, he's a big boy that's a fact, how many guys that are 6'5-6'6 are considered speedy? O'B imo is speedy when you factor in his huge frame, he moves well for such a big player.

The hit on Elder was freaking great, it was a treat to watch but I can assure you I never wet my pants, or at least not since I was 2 or had way way too much to drink.

As for youtube, I brought it up cause he's played in only 44 nhl games and yet if you youtube his name you will find several big hits, Campbell, Ruttuu, Williams and more. So in half a season worth of games played he's already got a number of big hits, and imo he's still got a ways to go before we really see him play more physical.

As for the Hamilton board, I meant the hamilton thread at the top of the page, yes I do find it strange that you say you saw O'B a lot in Hamilton and yet I don't recall seeing you post in the thread, I guess I just assume that when people see our prospects play they post about it, since we are at hockeysfuture.

As for O'B being an AHL All star, he was good defensively and he has a good hitter, it's not like he was great defensively as I'm sure you know since you saw him a lot and we all know it's not his offense that got him there.

The one thing we agree on is that O'B is not there yet, he's got a long ways to go and I suspect it's going to take at least 2 years if not more. I'm more interested in seeing how he does when he's around 200 NHL games under his belt, hopefully for him and the Habs, he's much better by then.
I really don't know what else to say. If you think that Ryan O'Byrne is a speedy defenseman, we will simply have to agree to disagree. Speedy is not an adjective I would ever use to describe him. Much like "hitting machine" wouldn't be a phrase that would ever come out of my mouth to describe his play. You think Ryan O'Byrne is a speedy hit machine ... I see him very, very differently. We'll agree to disagree.

As for your next comment ... You find it strange that I don't post on the Hamilton Bulldogs thread?

Really?

It strikes you as odd that I watch Hamilton Bulldog games, yet don't post about it? I'll bite: Why is that strange? Do you honestly think that everybody that watches the Bulldogs on television or in the building that posts at HFBoards then goes to that thread?

For real?

Why would you make that assumption?

I'm going to the Bruins/Leafs game tomorrow night? Will it be "strange" if I don't then post on the Bruins and Leafs boards tomorrow?

As a final note: Is it really necessary to put in passive-aggressive remarks like "you *say* you saw O'B?" So now you're implying I'm lying about seeing him play a lot in the American Hockey League? What are you 12 years old?

Last edited by FerrisRox: 11-16-2008 at 11:30 AM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:17 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I really don't know what else to say. If you think that Ryan O'Byrne is a speedy defenseman, we will simply have to agree to disagree. Speedy is not an adjective I would ever use to describe him. Much like "hitting machine" wouldn't be a phrase that would ever come out of my mouth to describe his play. You think Ryan O'Byrne is a speedy hit machine ... I see him very, very differently. We'll agree to disagree.

As for your next comment ... You find it strange that I don't post on the Hamilton Bulldogs thread?

Really?

It strikes you as odd that I watch Hamilton Bulldog games, yet don't post about it? I'll bite: Why is that strange? Do you honestly think that everybody that watches the Bulldogs on television or in the building that posts at HFBoards then goes to that thread?

For real?

Why would you make that assumption?

I'm going to the Bruins/Leafs game tomorrow night? Will it be "strange" if I don't then post on the Bruins and Leafs boards tomorrow?

As a final note: Is it really necessary to put in passive-aggressive remarks like "you say you saw O'B?" So now you're implying I'm lying about seeing him play a lot in the American Hockey League? What are you 12 years old?
Yes I think O'B is a speedy defensemen, you don't see too many guys his size that are faster then him imo. He's not a hitting machine in the NHL but he was in the NCAA and AHL from what I saw. Again it's a subjective term, clearly he was a physiacl player, he racked up the pims and was known for his physical play since he was drafted.

Yes I do find it strange that someone would see a lot of Hamilton games but then never post about. To me it's kind of the point of posting here, to discuss how our prospects are doing since it's hockeysfuture and all, I assume that most found this board that is somehow prospect related. As for the leafs bruins game, it's one game what I'm talking about is someone that says they saw a lot of Hamilton games, so you saw a of games with our prospects play but didn't feel the need to post about it? I mean don't you think it's helpful to the other fans that don't see the games, to let them know what you saw? Not saying every game but if you see a lot of games, why not let others know what you see so they can follow the prospects as well. But to each his own.

As for implying, I didn't imply that, you took it that way so my bad if it's not clear

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 11:35 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yes I think O'B is a speedy defensemen, you don't see too many guys his size that are faster then him imo. He's not a hitting machine in the NHL but he was in the NCAA and AHL from what I saw. Again it's a subjective term, clearly he was a physiacl player, he racked up the pims and was known for his physical play since he was drafted.

Yes I do find it strange that someone would see a lot of Hamilton games but then never post about. To me it's kind of the point of posting here, to discuss how our prospects are doing since it's hockeysfuture and all, I assume that most found this board that is somehow prospect related. As for the leafs bruins game, it's one game what I'm talking about is someone that says they saw a lot of Hamilton games, so you saw a of games with our prospects play but didn't feel the need to post about it? I mean don't you think it's helpful to the other fans that don't see the games, to let them know what you saw? Not saying every game but if you see a lot of games, why not let others know what you see so they can follow the prospects as well. But to each his own.

As for implying, I didn't imply that, you took it that way so my bad if it's not clear
I post here because I find it to be the best place on the internet to talk about the Montreal Canadiens. The "Future" part of it; prospects and what have you, I don't really get involved with.

The reasons for that are simple: People don't seem too interested in talking about the prospects here, they'd rather blindly worship prospects while bashing the veterans that stand in their way.

Much of that seeps into the Canadiens board: waive Brisebois, call up Weber, buy out Dandenault and Begin, call up Max Pac. The issue is, many here have no clue about how to develop prospects, they simply think that everybody is amazing and should be inserted into the lineup right away where they will flourish and glory is soon to follow.

Talking prospects at HFBoards is like trying to have an interesting discourse on religion at a 700 Club Meeting.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Same complaint, different year

When Komisarek first joined the team... there were a couple of seasons where he played soft as well...

Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:08 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois View Post
When Komisarek first joined the team... there were a couple of seasons where he played soft as well...
Uh... huh?

On the contrary, the issue with Komisarek the first few years - as his been stated in this thread - is that he played *too* aggressive, didn't pick his spots and always tried to kill people even if it meant putting himself out of position or out of the play.

I've never seen Komisarek play soft in my life.

That being said, I don't see why people keep comparing Mike Komsiarek and Ryan O'Byrne. They are not the same type of defenseman, nor does O'Byrne project to that kind of player. It seems many here *WANT* O'Byrne to be a big, bruising, physical, punishing first pairing blueliner, but he's actually much more like a Hal Gill type. A solid five or six guy who could fill in short term on the top four if paired with a very complimentary partner.

And there's nothing wrong with that kind of guy at all. Stop saddling him with the burden of Komisarek comparisons.

Old
11-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I think o'byrne has been slowly improving in the last 3 games or so. He has made better decisions and he just plain looks more confident with the puck especially on breakouts. He's also playing better positionally.

Now, is he still making mistakes? Yes. But its still a step in the right direction that he's playing better. Hopefully, he continues to stride in that direction.

For a while, it looked like o'byrne was playing worse than the day he got called up for his first nhl game. So that tells me his issues are more mental than anything else. I think being benched for the start of the playoffs messed him up mentally too. I'm cautiously optimistic that he's coming around now.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:09 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I thought he;s been better lately and last night he had a couple good offensive zone rushes and has been showing a hard shot lately.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote