HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nylander trade watch

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Nylander trade watch

I'm generally hesitant to start new threads but I think we've past the point where this topic is just a simple wish from fans that would like for GMGM to free up some cap breathing room.

HHOF journalist Jim Matheson reports today:
Quote:
-Word is the Blackhawks balked at a deal for Michael Nylander, who has one point in his last seven games, because the Caps wanted Dustin Byfuglien.
KP Dupont also seems to back up Matheson's general thrust:
Quote:
Sources familiar with the negotiations say the Blackhawks turned down a deal last week that would have had ex-Bruin Michael Nylander, now with the Capitals, wearing the Indian Head by this weekend. Someone in that Hawks' lineup would have to be going back to D.C. to even out some of the $8.5 million Nylander is due over the two seasons after this one. The likeliest candidates: Dustin Byfuglien (two more years at $3 million per) or Brent Sopel (two more years at $2.5 million per).
It sure sounds like Nylander has given the green light based on Dupont's wording. (Considering his effort level, he sure doesn't seem long for Rocking the Red.)

It's not surprising given that Nylander still owns a house there but it's the strongest report yet that negotiations are ongoing and advanced from Washington's side.

After second look, moving Byfuglien out for Nylander would not have worked for Chicago. Aside from any value concerns, the deal would have put them over the cap since Barker is back up with them.

Absent some sort of package deal, it sure seems like Khabibulin has to be resolved beforehand. That would allow for Chicago to move out less salary (and fewer roster players) in a deal with Washington and at this point that might be just fine with McPhee.

It's not an ideal scenario but with Nylander seeming to mail it in they're going to be hard pressed to get a whole lot in return right now.

Old
11-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I would love Sopel as a return for Nylander, but like you said, Chicago needs to move Khabibulin.

Old
11-16-2008, 10:36 AM
pgreene

not a big sopel fan, personally. i'd love a good stay-at-home guy as much as anyone, but part of me just wants to see a salary dump so we can bring up alzner and have a little more flexibility if anything else needs to happen.

Old
11-16-2008, 10:43 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I know I am in the minority in my thinking, but why would Nylander want a NMC and then waive it a little over a year later. Maybe his agent got it put in but Nyls doesn't care. Maybe he came here to play with Hanlon. He knew what he was getting when he chose Washington the city, its not his first trip here.

Teams certainly are calling McPhee and he is entertaining offers, that's what GM's do. And they are leaking it to the buzz crowd, dying for a rumor in November, a slow month. They want some of our potent offense. We have 7 centers. Has Bruce abandoned his 3 scoring line approach? I think its too early personally. Move Clark down and keep trying.

I sure hope Feds injury is causing GMGM to stop and pause. He ain't no spring chicken. If he does as well as we expect, he will want 5 next year. But is a free agent.

If he thinks he wont have to play responsible defensively if waives his NMC, then he is a fool. A father of 5 up and moving his kids in the middle of their school year because he likes to slack on D, seems rude, and doesn't make sense to me.

He will show up when the games "count" regardless who his coach is.

Old
11-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Foy

Maybe he had a NMC in order to control where he went, not that he necessarily wanted to stay in Washington, but more "I don't want to end up _______"

Old
11-16-2008, 10:47 AM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I know I am in the minority in my thinking, but why would Nylander want a NMC and then waive it a little over a year later. Maybe his agent got it put in but Nyls doesn't care. Maybe he came here to play with Hanlon. He knew what he was getting when he chose Washington the city, its not his first trip here.

Teams certainly are calling McPhee and he is entertaining offers, that's what GM's do. And they are leaking it to the buzz crowd, dying for a rumor in November, a slow month. They want some of our potent offense. We have 7 centers. Has Bruce abandoned his 3 scoring line approach? I think its too early personally. Move Clark down and keep trying.

I sure hope Feds injury is causing GMGM to stop and pause. He ain't no spring chicken. If he does as well as we expect, he will want 5 next year. But is a free agent.

If he thinks he wont have to play responsible defensively if waives his NMC, then he is a fool. A father of 5 up and moving his kids in the middle of their school year because he likes to slack on D, doesn't make sense to me.

He will show up when the games "count" regardless who his coach is.
so he doesn't get dumped in a place like edmonton. it's all about controlling his own destiny. a player doesn't get a nmc to say they want to die in that town. it's just so they have a say over where they land. he'll waive it for a situation he and his family like.

Last edited by pgreene: 11-16-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: edit: what foy said. he beat me to it, owing to my technical difficulties quoting and bolding and fancying things up.
Old
11-16-2008, 11:08 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I guess a question to ask is, what historically is out there with guys waiving their NMC's in situations like this. He has been here one year, we are an up and coming team. This should be common if we expect it to happen. Sundin was the only one that came to my mind.

I concede that the NMC may be more about avoiding certain cities versus avoiding being traded flat out.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:10 AM
The Viking Fury

Byfuglien would be nice.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Foy

Quote:
I guess a question to ask is, what historically is out there with guys waiving their NMC's in situations like this. He has been here one year, we are an up and coming team. This should be common if we expect it to happen. Sundin was the only one that came to my mind.

I concede that the NMC may be more about avoiding certain cities versus avoiding being traded flat out.
It depends on the player. Don't think of NTC/NMCs as "I'm not going to be traded" think of them as the player saying "I have a say in where I go." They get waived all the time.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:19 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
It depends on the player. Don't think of NTC/NMCs as "I'm not going to be traded" think of them as the player saying "I have a say in where I go." They get waived all the time.
Any recent examples you know of off the top of your head, in situations like ours? It must be great to play for Bruce with Ovi etc. At least if you hustle. TIA.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Can't Chicago just send Khabibulin to the AHL until they find somebody to trade him to, and he won't count against their cap? If Chicago wants Nylander bad enough that's a solution.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Any recent examples you know of off the top of your head, in situations like ours? It must be great to play for Bruce with Ovi etc. At least if you hustle. TIA.

He doesn't play with Ovie, and he only played 12 minutes last night, and was a healthy scratch the game before.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
While I think they would like Nylander, they wouldn't to the point of trying to limit their hockey team (which sending Khabi down would do)

Old
11-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Yep. Dan Boyle and Bryan McCabe are two recent examples of players that have waived their NTCs to be dealt to a team to their liking. (Though, it should be noted, it took some prodding from the front office before both were moved.) There have been recent instances where players have used them to stay put as well and probably many more than eventually wind up in the media spotlight.

The No Movement aspect of it shouldn't be considered significantly different than the more common No Trade. All that does it take away the leverage of a GM doing what Tampa Bay did with Boyle...threaten that they'll be put on waivers and wind up with some bottom rung team or assigned to the AHL.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
At this point, does anyone care if we even get a quality NHL player? I'd be happy with (as someone else dubbed it) the "GM Special"--a pick and/or a prospect. We have good depth at forward, not to mention plenty of guys in Hershey that could play.

Is Byfuglien playing D or F at this point?

It's one thing if Nylander's ineffectiveness isn't due to effort, but last night I saw a distinct aura of "I don't give a ****" from him.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:36 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
He doesn't play with Ovie, and he only played 12 minutes last night, and was a healthy scratch the game before.
In the grand scheme of life, when you play on the same team, they play together. I never said they were line mates. I will assume you haven't seen them on the PP together. I dont care how many minutes he has or if he was scratched. That is not relevant to the conversation. Does Theo play with Ovi?

If you want to see Nylander be Nylander he needs to be a top line center. That's what he was brought in here to be. He has a handful of games on 2 with our studs and I think he did well.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:40 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Can't Chicago just send Khabibulin to the AHL until they find somebody to trade him to, and he won't count against their cap? If Chicago wants Nylander bad enough that's a solution.
At this point in time, Chicago may feel they can still get some type of trade value for Habby.

But I have to say after watching Nylander lethargic play and dwindling minutes I don't think I would be too surprised at this point if he does get traded.

However, in his defense he's had to work with on his line Clark all year how much can you really expect out of him?

Old
11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
At this point, does anyone care if we even get a quality NHL player? I'd be happy with (as someone else dubbed it) the "GM Special"--a pick and/or a prospect. We have good depth at forward, not to mention plenty of guys in Hershey that could play.

Is Byfuglien playing D or F at this point?

It's one thing if Nylander's ineffectiveness isn't due to effort, but last night I saw a distinct aura of "I don't give a ****" from him.
pretty sure hes now a forward.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:48 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Its ironic; when people talk about how bad Nylander's play has been, it takes away from their own reasoning that other teams want to take on aging struggling offensive minded center at 4+ per. If he can't or won't play defense, has a NMC clause, is under contract for 2 years, if he is that bad, no one would want him.

The fact is, he is not that bad, he is just stuck on our 3rd line and is trying to find his way on what must be the deepest team he has ever played on. Despite Flash's offensive breakout, he is our mr minus at -6. Clark is his own story. His comeback from his shoulder may be slowing him. It a reason for Clark often enough.

I know he was brought in to mentor Backstrom. But we also needed a viable center. If we trade Nylander and Feds retires, we have Backstrom and Laich. Nothing against Laich, but then we are one injury away from another beech type situation.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Its ironic; when people talk about how bad Nylander's play has been, it takes away from their own reasoning that other teams want to take on aging struggling offensive minded center at 4+ per. If he can't or won't play defense, has a NMC clause, is under contract for 2 years, if he is that bad, no one would want him.

The fact is, he is not that bad, he is just stuck on our 3rd line and is trying to find his way on what must be the deepest team he has ever played on. Despite Flash's offensive breakout, he is our mr minus at -6. Clark is his own story. His comeback from his shoulder may be slowing him. It a reason for Clark often enough.

1) He's a bad fit under Boudreau's north/south attack system.
2) Our offense is stacked at the expense of our defense and that leads to losses like last night's.

It's not that he has no value, it's that he serves no purpose here anymore.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:02 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:

I know he was brought in to mentor Backstrom. But we also needed a viable center. If we trade Nylander and Feds retires, we have Backstrom and Laich. Nothing against Laich, but then we are one injury away from another beech type situation.
Look I agree with you with regard to his linemates...they suck for a center of his offensive abilities. Specifically, Clark. They keep sticking him with Nylander, because they don't want to insult him by throwing him on the 4th line.

I don't think the game's passed him by. I think he's stuck with bad linemates and he is clearly losing any interest in contributing to the team hence the total lack of hustle. Therein lies the problem.

I think these two lines may produce some offense.

Flash Nylander Laich
Flash Nylander Kozlov (this line looked good but then Kozzie got bumped up with the Semin injury.)

Old
11-16-2008, 12:04 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

But but but....I thought center depth was key! I thought Nylander was nearly a point per game player! This was unthinkable!! Trade Nylander?! Bah!!

Nah...I'm not rubbing it in or anything.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
very interesting. if a deal were to go through i'd take either Sopel or Byfuglien at this point.

Byfuglien gives you a lot of flexibility and would mean that Fedorov's days on defense would probably be over for certain.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Burgh32

There's good arguments on both sides of dealing Nyls. If he's traded at this point, I just hope Jurcina goes with him.

Whether you like him or feel that he can contribute to this team, his contract is too fat for the Caps right now. It's not a good thing to have zero cap wiggle room as you head through the season.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:16 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Byfuglien would be nice.
I would absolutely love this deal. He can play f and d, he's fast, great forechecker, strong, and has good offensive instincts.

At this point I'd take a pick and prospect as well for Nyls. Aliu or Beech please.

Closed Thread