HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Nashville @ Los Angeles - 11/15/08 - 7:30 PM

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
When Handzus is your best forward (which I believe he is right now) you have problems. I like the defensive system of Murray's....but I still hate how it stifles the offense....hopefully he can adjust it without losing too much defensive coverage.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:11 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
When Handzus is your best forward (which I believe he is right now) you have problems. I like the defensive system of Murray's....but I still hate how it stifles the offense....hopefully he can adjust it without losing too much defensive coverage.
2nd best offensive player... Drew Doughty

what the hell?!

Old
11-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Dont put all the blame on Calder and Ivanans
the fact is that Frolov, Kopitar and Brown are all underperforming offensively
Oh I agree 100%, but what are you going to do, take these guys out of the lineup?

The fact is, these guys were a big part of our team and we won't go anywhere with them continuing to struggle.

As for Ivanans,I just don't see a use for him if the Kings are going to run 4 lines all game. This isn't like when Andy Murray would hardly play Grimson at all, and have him as insurance if needed. Ivanans played over 10 minutes tonight, just way to much.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
what? in what way would he be the Kings worst d-man...
in the way that Doughty, O'Donnell, Preissing, Harrold and Quincey are light years better than him.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:25 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Oh I agree 100%, but what are you going to do, take these guys out of the lineup?

The fact is, these guys were a big part of our team and we won't go anywhere with them continuing to struggle.

As for Ivanans,I just don't see a use for him if the Kings are going to run 4 lines all game. This isn't like when Andy Murray would hardly play Grimson at all, and have him as insurance if needed. Ivanans played over 10 minutes tonight, just way to much.
Yeah Ivanans isnt fighting, he jsut sucks

bench him, put in Richardson. He can actually play at least

Old
11-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Worst game of the season.

Absolutely not.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:31 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Looks like I may have to pay that $10.00 to DL after all. I agree, tonight Zues was the best offensive player, seriously hampered by Ivanans. Likewise the firts Line was hampered by Calder, who despite his hustle and gritty play, just lacks the skills to play with Brown and Kopitar.

It seems to make so much sense to all of us to shift the lines, putting Sully back up top, shifting Calder to grind/work with Zues and Simmonds and letting Boyle center for Harrold and Richardson/Army.

What do you think it is that makes TM not want to make such an obvious move? Maybe it was the winning streak, but that wont justify anything now.

Lets hope he doesnt go back to LABS, because I thought Ersberg played very well again, particularly that save on Erat where he came all the way across , looing like he might have torn a groin to make the save. LABS would not have made that save. LABS would not have have moved back for the shot even.

We need something to get our team to generate offense because now matter how good your defense is, you cant win in this league without scoring, generally, 3 or more goals.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:32 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
in the way that Doughty, O'Donnell, Preissing, Harrold and Quincey are light years better than him.
oh.. so you're just wrong..

Old
11-16-2008, 12:45 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
oh.. so you're just wrong..
Gotta throw in with Quattro on this one. Although Greene can be solid, (meaning he doesnt make stupid mistakes) he is unimpressive. Like I said in another thread, without OD and Quincey, and even including Doughty, our defense is suspect, at best. Goat-chay showed again tonight why he spent last season in the minors, and Greene, although he doesnt make stupid passes, is, similarly to Goat-chay, molasses slow in cutting off the boards on the opponents cycle and then getting back to the slot to protect the front end.

Of our seven defenseman, he may be the number 5 guy, but that is only because Harrold has been slotted in as a winger. Priessing, while not as tough, nor physical is far more mobile and gives you more of a skill set, as does Harrold when he plays "D."

We dont even need to discuss how OD, Quincey, or Doughty are far better than Greene, because if you cant see that, then having this conversation with you wont make a bit of a difference anyway!!!

Old
11-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Fishhead

Man I was pissed we lost. It's about time that happened, it means the bar has been raised somewhat.

Re: Greene. I thought he played fantastic tonight, great position and he made some great blocks. He's almost always in the right place at the right time. He made a great play on a 2-1 that likely saved a goal. Funny how people can view a player so differently, I honestly thought he could have easily been the 3rd star tonight.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:53 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

I came home figuring everyone would be ripping on Gauthier for YET ANOTHER terrible giveaway or the fact that Calder has no business being on the 1st line or the PP... and instead it's complaints about Greene?!? What a joke. Greene was the least of the Kings problems tonight.

Ellis was the biggest problem. He was outstanding. The Kings played very well tonight. They just didn't have that extra effort in the 3rd needed to win.

- T

Old
11-16-2008, 01:15 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

So Dustin Brown makes 2 blind passes, one resulting in an odd-man rush for Nashville... the other an empty net goal...on our empty net.

Brown played like ****.

Old
11-16-2008, 01:42 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Gotta throw in with Quattro on this one. Although Greene can be solid, (meaning he doesnt make stupid mistakes) he is unimpressive. Like I said in another thread, without OD and Quincey, and even including Doughty, our defense is suspect, at best. Goat-chay showed again tonight why he spent last season in the minors, and Greene, although he doesnt make stupid passes, is, similarly to Goat-chay, molasses slow in cutting off the boards on the opponents cycle and then getting back to the slot to protect the front end.

Of our seven defenseman, he may be the number 5 guy, but that is only because Harrold has been slotted in as a winger. Priessing, while not as tough, nor physical is far more mobile and gives you more of a skill set, as does Harrold when he plays "D."

We dont even need to discuss how OD, Quincey, or Doughty are far better than Greene, because if you cant see that, then having this conversation with you wont make a bit of a difference anyway!!!
While I can agree that Greene is not as good overall as OD, Quincy and DD, I wouldn't compare him to Goat.

However, Greene has been key to the defensive success in my view. I don't know the actual numbers, but from watching the games, Greene has been critical in cutting down the shots against, if anything because he blocks them like a maniac. He is intensley skilled in this area, and that helps immensely. Especially once this team gets to the playoffs, a talent like his can really work towards demoralizing a team with frustration.

Greene is guilty of everything people say he is, but he is not a huge liability about 90% of the time, and he is very unimpressive in several aspects of the game (skating, speed, passing, sometimes positioning on the boards, shooting) but without his shot blocking this defense would be letting what I think is an extra 5 shots a game (I can't find shot blocking stats... anyone know where these are?). Anyways, those extra however many shots on goal add up big time throughout a season and even a game.

All that said, I missd the game tonight so I can't comment on Greene's performance against Nashville, but he has been extremely consistent to me.

I'd say he's more unassuming than he is unimpressive.

Old
11-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Post Game Thread is open.

We have baked ash and fried ambers on the menu...fortunately, there is also beer.

Old
11-16-2008, 02:43 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I came home figuring everyone would be ripping on Gauthier for YET ANOTHER terrible giveaway or the fact that Calder has no business being on the 1st line or the PP... and instead it's complaints about Greene?!? What a joke. Greene was the least of the Kings problems tonight.

Ellis was the biggest problem. He was outstanding. The Kings played very well tonight. They just didn't have that extra effort in the 3rd needed to win.

- T
Agreed 100%. The only thing that was suspect about the Kings' game was the power play, IMO. Aside from that, they played great.

Old
11-16-2008, 02:58 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The #1 problem with this team imo is Murray's hatred and bias of Sully and enjoyment taken from not having a scoring line. Only way you can describe it. Makes zero sense at all to break up a chemistry line like that to take your scoring winger and place him on the fourth line with a first year project prospect and a defenseman... What is Murray playing at?

The top players on this team are frustrated. Kopitar and Sully have both insinuated pretty clearly that they want to be paired and given a better chance. I understand Murray taking the Melrose "I am going to do it my way route" it is noble... But for god sakes take our 50+ two way scoring winger and put him on the damn top line in place of the 3rd line grinder....

Old
11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

- T
It goes without saying that Gauthier sucks - although I did say it. My comments about Greene weren't about how he blew the game (although he was lumbering around when the winning goal went in) but rather that I'm not seeing anything out of him that would justify what we gave up to get him and especially the big money long-term contract he was given.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
kynen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I can't find shot blocking stats... anyone know where these are?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...ckedShots&pg=2

Greene is 34th in the NHL with 32 blocked shots.

Blake is 52nd with 28 blocked shots!

Old
11-16-2008, 01:05 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Post Game Thread is open.

We have baked ash and fried ambers on the menu...fortunately, there is also beer.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=573170

Closed Thread