HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philly needs to replace Jason Smith.

Old
11-16-2008, 12:29 PM
darrylsittler27

vCash: 500
Philly needs to replace Jason Smith.

I see defense and goaltending as their major weaknesses.Wonder why else the huge drop in play since last season.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:32 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Well our weakness is clearing the zone with a first pass, something which smith cannot do

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
mm6492

the only thing we miss from jason smith is his veteran leadership. His playing during the regular season last year was not very good.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:42 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
If we added someone like Smith, it would be a downgrade to our defense.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

We miss his leadership and toughness. Our D is quite soft and inexperienced. We don't miss his lack of mobility and lack of puck skills.

It's a toss-up in my opinion. Every team needs balance. Right now our defense is pretty one-dimensional and not intimidating at all.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:53 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i'd be ok with signing shanahan because i think he can play a similar role for us.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:11 PM
flyersfan97

Smith was intimidating to play against, as was Hatch. Both were pretty beat up in the playoffs, but still managed to put a fear into our opponents. I don't think we have anyone, right now, who brings that raw edge to the table.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:12 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Yeah, we sure do miss those turnovers and slow feet.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:42 PM
tytech

What? Jason Smith?

Yeah, Ottawa's a much better team with him back there?????????????
Ottawa's biggest problems are the same ones we would have if we had him. Giveaways and a weakness to move the puck forward. Ask any real ottawa fan and they want a puck moving defenceman before anything else.

Call me crazy but I take Hatcher before Smith. Hatcher was much better on the penalty kill and would keep that crease clear. Slow as mollases but so was smith.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
What? Jason Smith?

Yeah, Ottawa's a much better team with him back there?????????????
Ottawa's biggest problems are the same ones we would have if we had him. Giveaways and a weakness to move the puck forward. Ask any real ottawa fan and they want a puck moving defenceman before anything else.

Call me crazy but I take Hatcher before Smith. Hatcher was much better on the penalty kill and would keep that crease clear. Slow as mollases but so was smith.
Voted slowest in the league babbyyy

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Cleary84

Is Hatcher coming back this season? I haven't really been keeping up with his situation. I think if he and Jones comes back, obviously we can add more dimension to our D.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers84 View Post
Is Hatcher coming back this season? I haven't really been keeping up with his situation. I think if he and Jones comes back, obviously we can add more dimension to our D.
I'm starting to get the feeling that he won't.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:04 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
If Hatcher comes back during the playoffs he won't count against the salary cap right? I do miss Hatcher a lot more than Smith. Smith couldn't complete a pass to save his life.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
If Hatcher comes back during the playoffs he won't count against the salary cap right? I do miss Hatcher a lot more than Smith. Smith couldn't complete a pass to save his life.
Perhaps, but Smith plays within himself much more than Hatcher.

We couldn't have both of those guys back there, but we probably do need ONE of them back there. I was against bringing Smith back under the assumption that Hatcher would be counting against our cap. However, if Hatcher is just going to be on LTIR and the Flyers thought the situation was going to go that route, I think they should have given more consideration to signing Smith on a short deal.

Smith did a lot more good for this team last year than bad.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Perhaps, but Smith plays within himself much more than Hatcher.

We couldn't have both of those guys back there, but we probably do need ONE of them back there. I was against bringing Smith back under the assumption that Hatcher would be counting against our cap. However, if Hatcher is just going to be on LTIR and the Flyers thought the situation was going to go that route, I think they should have given more consideration to signing Smith on a short deal.

Smith did a lot more good for this team last year than bad.
Amen.

I said in the summer, that if it was obvious that Hatcher was gone for good...we should bring back Smith. Sure he had his flaws, but every player has his 'thing'.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Kaktus*

We did replace Smith with Vaananen. Works for now.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
We did replace Smith with Vaananen. Works for now.
Vaananen does not have the leadership qualities of Smith back there, nor is he intimidating along the wall the way Smith and Hatcher are.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Shoeny

homer tried to replace his turnovers by adding eminger and alberts.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
homer tried to replace his turnovers by adding eminger and alberts.
He wasn't as bad as some suggest.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
27roenick97

last year, opposing forwards would not enter nitty's/biron's crease without paying a dear price. it got to the point against montreal in the playoffs that no canadien player would get near biron because they feared hatch and gator. my sentiment during the offseason upon hearing that gator and hatch would both be leaving was "awesome news... now we're paper soft".

if anybody thinks that ossi vaananen offers any sort of intimidation to opposing players like hatch/gator needs a head check. ...leadership isn't even a question--ossi doesn't have it, whilst hatcher and smith did. hatcher--i thought--was the best leader we've had in the between time of primeau and richards (not a distinguished list but point is still valid).

simply, in a non cap world, i'd love to have retained hatcher or smith, but it wasn't a possibility and upon randy jones and ryan parent getting healthy, we have a core that we can win games with.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 05:09 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
last year, opposing forwards would not enter nitty's/biron's crease without paying a dear price. it got to the point against montreal in the playoffs that no canadien player would get near biron because they feared hatch and gator. my sentiment during the offseason upon hearing that gator and hatch would both be leaving was "awesome news... now we're paper soft".

if anybody thinks that ossi vaananen offers any sort of intimidation to opposing players like hatch/gator needs a head check. ...leadership isn't even a question--ossi doesn't have it, whilst hatcher and smith did. hatcher--i thought--was the best leader we've had in the between time of primeau and richards (not a distinguished list but point is still valid).

simply, in a non cap world, i'd love to have retained hatcher or smith, but it wasn't a possibility and upon randy jones and ryan parent getting healthy, we have a core that we can win games with.

you make a valid point. but the problem i have with it is that teams dont need to get near the crease to get past marty. him letting them in from the circle seems commonplace anymore. the addition to him reacting slow on the wraparounds are a new addition to his weakness. but he did show mass improvement against the habs.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 05:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Vaananen does not have the leadership qualities of Smith back there, nor is he intimidating along the wall the way Smith and Hatcher are.
But Ossi does not give the puck away everytime he passes it like those 2 do

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 05:30 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
If this Shanny thing doesn't work out if it ever does, what other vets would you guys be interested in trying to grab via trade? I too also think we need some vet leadership. Lossing hatch was probably for the better with the D but a loss to the locker room.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Eh, if you mean we need a reliable DMan for our second pairing, absolutely, but as a particular type of player I would pass on the Jason Smith of last year or someone like him.

I would like to see us get someone like Zybnek Michalek, a guy who is developing well in his own zone and is capable of moving the puck.

Breakout passing has been atrocious this year and play in front of the net also lacking. A couple of these games even our top pairing has looked rather flat, let alone the back four.

11-16-2008, 08:02 PM
decadentia

With Ossi we get a better pass, less shot blocking, less leadership , and less "fear factor"...which honestly none of us could accurately determine.

In the end, Smith can only be used as an example, because he simply does not fit the Flyers right now. I think we've done ok with Ossi so far, considering.

Ossi 1,000,000
Smith 2,600,000

To get another "version" of Smith, we would have completely ripoff another team. Even then, I can't think of many off hand who come cheaply cap wise...

Garnet Exelby comes to mind.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote