HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs squeak one out in the shootout against Blues

Old
11-16-2008, 09:06 PM
LastRide

vCash: 500
The Habs continue to struggle. I am sure Guy and Bob are happy but man, the Habs still playing flat. Just can't get going.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Erik Estrada

Time to rush Webber's, Carle's, and whoever's development, Bob. We need serious help on our PP blue line. Please also inform Subban that he's making the Habs out of training camp next season. Thank you.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
How about that, both goals came from players going to the net. Plekanec almost scored doing the same thing. Maybe they should start thinking about doing this more, just an idea.
After the Flyers game:

Me: There's this thing, it's called "collapsing in front of the goalie," and the Habs don't know how to do it.

Friend: On either end of the ice.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
The Habs continue to struggle. I am sure Guy and Bob are happy but man, the Habs still playing flat.
I actually doubt that. Carbo looked happy near the end of the game, but I assume he'll still talk to the guys about the brutal first half of the game.

I hope Bob will give Carle or Weber a look, if anything, fill that #4 hole.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:08 PM
LesHabsRock

Luckily for Les Glorieux they still have games in hand on the rest of the bunch after tonight's win. To be honest 16 games played as of November 16th is really not much hockey played. Maybe they need a little more to get going and get into a groove. I must say I'm not a fan of this year's scheduling.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:08 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I disagree we don't miss streit we just need to line up the PP properly...
The only change in personnel is Mark Streit. He currently has 6 points on the Islanders power play...

You may not want to admit we miss him on the PP... but we do

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Time to rush Webber's, Carle's, and whoever's development, Bob. We need serious help on our PP blue line. Please also inform Subban that he's making the Habs out of training camp next season. Thank you.
Forget those people, Stejskal has 6 goals in 6 games.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Quagmier

This game was a recipe for disaster. A road game coming off back to back bad losses against conference rivals, 0 days rest, a long overnight flight, no chemistry, an Andy Murray coached team with minimal skill but a strong desire to suck the life out of their opponent and Chris Lee...

Doesn't fully excuse the pee-poor effort by the Habs, but it explains alot as to why this game was as ugly as it was.

My only real concern is our power play...without that ace in the hole this team loses its swagger, and the concept that we may actually have to battle hard 5on5 seems to scare most of our team. We aren't getting shots in from the point and it shows because teams are collapsing hard on us, negating anything Kovalev normally does. We need a shot next to markov, not another playmaker. Keep Tanguay out their at forward...but for the love of god find someone who can shoot to keep the other team's wingers honest.

Glad to see Andrei step it up in this game. Their is definite chemistry between the brothers and I think you have to give them at least 3 or 4 games together after this game.

Carbonneau needs to figure out how to get his boys up for these games...getting outplayed early has been a hallmark of this team for almost 2 years now

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
The only change in personnel is Mark Streit. He currently has 6 points on the Islanders power play...

You may not want to admit we miss him on the PP... but we do
The change is Markov playing at RD.... if you can't see what that is doing watch the tapes of the PP last year.

having Markov and Kovalev on Opposite sides is the key... you can't have them on the same side of the ice... it takes away all the cross ice passes.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Pascal

isn't Markov playing LD?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
I hope the Cube will be alright, that was scary..

These 2 points don't mean anything. They better get it right for next week-end.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:14 PM
emb24*

philly just blew a 2 goal lead and is now tied with Atlanta in the 3rd.

how the hell did we lose to that team last night?

edit lupul just scored

4-3

lol

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post

We almost lost to the Blues tonight too, *shudder*.

We lost because there was just no emotion last night; the effort was there, but I've never seen a team that emotionless (except when we were trying to pot the 1st goal, and the fact I was first row, I saw how hard and bad a few of the guys wanted it).

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Andy

Andrei Kostitsyn played really well and tonight finally proved that he needs his own line where he can be the star and not a shadow.

Lang also impressed me tonight, regardless of his penalties. People complain a lot, but he really brings calm to the team and plays a simple game, plays well with the bros.

Saku, game after game, he really doesn't quit, tonight he could have easily had 4 points with better finish.

O'byrne, he's really coming into his own, still looks like a rookie, but gets better as the games role on, confidence is very important.

Disappointed in Carbo, Latendresse played well against Philli, should have kept his momentum and played him with Pleks and Higs even though he has to play off-wing, playing him on the fourth was completely useless, might as well benched him and played Lappiere.

Also, we're complaining we don;t have a shot at the point and the funny part is the answer is right on our team... ANDREI KOSTITSYN!! Just his wrist shot is harder than anyone's slapper, I really hope Carbo realizes this!

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
isn't Markov playing LD?
Him and Markov have not been set up together regularly on the PP at LD and RW all season.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy13 View Post
Their boss was at the game, that's why they went nuts....mind you it was chris lee also who is terrible even when his boss isn't watching him
The Blues announcers were questioning the calls as well. They thought the push on the Cube should of been a dive when Cube fell. They said the Cube knock down in front of the net was a good defensive play. They thought the Koivu goalie interference was a good play from Legace to draw the penalty but should of been let go. They questioned a lot of the calls and non calls, pretty good commentary overall compared to some other teams homer announcers.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:19 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
dont know whats more sad

the fact koivu used his moved and messed up AGAIN

or that he almost went offside LOL
Bad ice doesn't help stick handling.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Uber Coca

10 minutes into the 3rd period and I was saying to myself : "God I'm beginning to hate this team". But we won, and after putting all things in perspective, I got to say that this team's biggest problem is the turnovers. I don't know if it's the positionning or the fact that other teams put a lot of pressure on our defensemen, but the turnovers are killing us. Not only do they kill us, but the Habs have no defense-offense transition at all. And the transition was their best asset as a team IMO.

Ugly game, almost fell asleep. This better give these guys some confidence or it's going to be a long season.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
I don't give a **** how we played. I'm worried about Bouillon. Hope he's doing fine. That looked deadly.

Mitch

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Megaforce

The solution has a name and its name is Glumac.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post

edit lupul just scored

4-3

lol
Well, Atlanta has won 5 straight going in so they actually pose a tougher test than us right now.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:24 PM
muzion

listening to CKAC, Bouillon said he's allright, x-rays came back negative

Carbo is happy about the win and said we played a good game...

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Krautso

It looked like an ugly win because we played a team that is short on talent (shorter after macdonald went down) and long on effort and commitment to andy murray's system. The blues were playing 1999 hockey where any offensive player who has a step on the defender gets hooked/held/cross-checked. They were good penalties in the eyes of their coach and eliminated alot of hard-earned habs scoring chances (but we were rewarded with power plays that were squandered).

I thought it was a good effort from the team but a somewhat disjointed and boring game to watch.

We can't steal a win in minnesota because we killed 10 penalties and then steal a win in St. Louis because we couldn't score on 10 penalties. The expectations of the fanbase to play firewagon hockey and rack up the score on anyone who isn't a top team is ridiculous. The blues were well coached and committed and it showed.

Good on A.Kost for getting his name on the scoresheet hopefully this is a sign of more to come.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The change is Markov playing at RD.... if you can't see what that is doing watch the tapes of the PP last year.

having Markov and Kovalev on Opposite sides is the key... you can't have them on the same side of the ice... it takes away all the cross ice passes.
I agree that moving Markov to LD should be the first priority for the PP. It was worth a shot putting him at RD and letting him shoot, but to me it's obvious that he is more comfortable and much more effective on LD.

Further, it's not as though Tanguay has been doing a bad job on the LD so while I do think Markov would be an upgrade that move alone wouldn't vault the PP back to elite status. I think that eventually one of the Kostitsyn brothers could do the job, (Andrei's shot is incredibly heavy and S.Kost has done it from time to time) and I'd be willing to give it a chance for a few games, but at the very least I would like to see a few adjustments to the PP going into the next games starting with moving Markov back the LD.

The rest can sort itself out as time goes on. We have Weber and Subban in the long run and the Kostitsyns can be given a shot so there's no need to go outside the organization just quite yet, but it wouldn't hurt to start looking to see if any cheap, soon to be UFAs are on the market.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Cøuld someone pleasœ help µe? Im ŧry→ng to type nørµalŀy, ”ut my keyboard keeps doing this to me.. ænyone know what could be wrong?

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote